Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology in the Irish Education System

• 26-06-2014 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello there I'm techinalguy I have recently joined this forum. My first thread however is going to be a bit of a rant but something very personal to me. In the irish education system people are forced to write using a pen or pencil which is ridiuclous. In a country where disabialtys are so common such as Dyslexia and Dyspraxia, we are forced to learn the traditonal way. People may like to write using a pen/pencil, that should be a choice however. I think it should be a choice if people wished to use assistive technology in schools. Eventually I hope assistive technology is used all the time. Why is there such a stigma attached to people using assitive technology? Please get in your responses and ideas on how this could be changed.

Thanks, Ed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

If you're dyslexic/dyspraxic you can use a laptop in the exams/classroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Please get in your responses and ideas on how this could be changed.

Thanks, Ed.
    Fairly long thread on this last year (I'm sure there was one the year before as well! :pac:) in which a number of people (including some still around) outlined their thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shane1996

In my school all students had their own netbook. They were kinda s***e though but next year they will be getting microsoft surface tablets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

At home, there is nothing stopping you from learning through technology. There are plenty of apps which you can organise your study timetable,notes etc. on. If given an assignment, you can choose to type it up and teachers would probably be happier as they don't have to trawl through students often inelligible scribbles.

A lot of people would detest the use of technology in state exams. Too many things can go wrong. For example, what if your typing a word document and forget to save? What if a laptop decides to go on strike? What if you are a slow typer?

In my opinion, technology is only practical for a multiple choice exam. Could you really imagine people being able to type an English paper 2 or history exam?

Advertisement