Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suarez being punished but others not

• 26-06-2014 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

Ok before I ask my question, 1. I'm not a Liverpool fan 2. I'm not condoning what Suarez did

BUT

How come Suarez is apparently going to be reprimanded but the multiple kicking, slapping, headbutting and elbowing that was captured on camera during the France-Ecuador game will go unpunished as has Diego Costa's blatant headbutt in the first game against the Netherlands. What kind of message are FIFA trying to send out here? I agree that Suarez should be punished and severely so but if all the above is left unpunished, you can't help but feel they are trying to make an example of him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

goCvmZV.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I'm gonna go away, have a think about the answer to this and come back and post my answer in a new thread once this one is locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Sakho's elbow was worse today. It's obviously not as blatant or outrageous but it's at least equal in deserving retrospective action. But the media probably won't make much of a storm about that so it will be ignored.

Fifa at the end of the the day is a corporation, so it is always going to act in the wake of storm like this, especially when they are not so rosy with the media themselves at the minute. In fact this will probably take the heat off the whole corruption thing nicely for them. A handy distraction really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

I don't really care about any of this as cheating is the biggest single problem in soccer and nobody wants anything done about that ? Pointless caring.

And I'm gob smacked that Costa didn't get a ban for violent conduct. You are spot on with that call and I'm sure if we started a thread called 'cheating moments in football' or 'incidents that were never punished' it would run for hundreds of pages.

Singling out Suarez in this hysterical way is incomprehensible. And to all the ex-footballers chipping in with their two cents ? - NONE of you have a leg to stand on when it comes to criticizing current players. Hypocrites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

tomaussie wrote: »
    I don't really care about any of this as cheating is the biggest single problem in soccer and nobody wants anything done about that ? Pointless caring.

And I'm gob smacked that Costa didn't get a ban for violent conduct. You are spot on with that call and I'm sure if we started a thread called 'cheating moments in football' or 'incidents that were never punished' it would run for hundreds of pages.

Singling out Suarez in this hysterical way is incomprehensible. And to all the ex-footballers chipping in with their two cents ? - NONE of you have a leg to stand on when it comes to criticizing current players. Hypocrites.

Alan Shearer is biggest of the lot I mean he got away with kicking someone in te head because he was England captain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

It's because its biting. People have a specific hatred towards people biting as most people don't believe it's a normal reaction. If someone gets annoyed they usually punch, headbutt, kick, elbow but they don't bite. I believe it's because it's not the norm that people are in shock.

If someone gave me a choice over being headbutted by Zidane, tackled by Roy Keane, elbowed by Tasotti or bitten in the shoulder by Suarez, I know which one I'd take. The potential consequences need to be taken into account when it's been look at after. In a court this would be taken into account so no idea why Fifa shouldn't either. A bite won't cause as much damage as the other ones but will get a much longer ban. Zidane was a similar character to Suarez, during his career he had multiple ridiculous unsporting moments but only got a 3 game ban for the headbutt which was a much bigger attack on a person than Suarez's bite in my opinion. He should definitely be banned but not as long as the media are spouting on about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

OP, there have been several Suarez conversations in the forum and one devoted thread to the topic that was closed.
    I'm gonna go away, have a think about the answer to this and come back and post my answer in a new thread once this one is locked.

Stage One complete. What about the answer to the question asked in that new thread?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement