Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lovely neighbour's foster-greyhound

• 26-06-2014 3:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

My neighbour, who is a most wonderful dog-owner, has recently acquired a 2-year-old foster-greyhound, having lost both her elderly dogs at once. Fi is very sensitive to all sudden noises and movements: she freaked and high-tailed it back to her house, which is thankfully just behind ours, when I grabbed a half-full plastic bottle to throw: one of my dog's very favourite toys.

Fi had been wandering around Cork in a most dreadful state around half a year ago; one of her front legs had been broken and set wrong, her hair had fallen out on the lower half of her body, she was emaciated, and had a dreadful abscess on her bum. Some of this stuff had been addressed when she arrived here: she is now normal weight and the hair has mostly grown back. However she had been on antibiotics for the abscess for over 2 months, and it was still breaking out, so we got the rescue boss who sent her here to go with with the neighbour to the local vet, who took her in and discovered a largish, very sharp sliver of bone embedded in the abscess, which is now slowly healing, with lots of help from twice-daily application of castor oil.

As you'd imagine, we are now getting to know quite a different dog from the one who came to us, rather dejected and in a lot of pain, almost 3 weeks ago.

Before, I had to gently stroke her when I arrived in Brenda's, and convince her I was safe; now I have to ignore her as she tries to bounce all over me, giving her time to calm down so she can be rewarded for interacting with me on the ground! She is still awfully lame on the previously-broken foreleg; in fact this is getting much worse as she has the chance to have fun and exercise, which was denied her for the past months as she was in rescue kennels. A decision still must be made as to what should be done about that, most likely resetting or amputation, as she is in chronic pain as it stands.

The neighbour would certainly want to keep her if it weren't for the fact that she is heading off on a 2-month world tour in 6 weeks. In fact, she does very much want to keep her, but does not want to inflict 2 months in kennels on her. Sadly tho, it's likely that 2 months in kennels is exactly what would be in store for her anyway, as perfect homes for damaged greyhounds are in rather short supply. The rescue lady is leaning towards sending her to the UK, which is what she does with most of her proteges, and that is the last thing the neighbour wants for her, specifically because she is so fearful, as I detailed at the beginning of the post, and shipping off is so hard for dogs like that.

Now here is where my real question comes in. I absolutely can't foster her myself, as my own dog has been through quite enough in the past couple years, and is awfully jealous and unhappy now about having other dogs living in her house, although she thinks cats are only great. But my mother, who has this year acquired a saluki-cross, now around 10 months old, seems prepared to entertain the idea of fostering Fi, pending what she thinks of her, and how Frankie (the Saluki-X) gets along with her.

I'm thinking both questions are likely to have positive outcome, as far as that goes: Fi is wonderful, and both dogs love playing with their peers. Whether it's a good idea is basically what I'm asking here. In large part because of the fearfulness I spoke of at the beginning of the post. We've been gradually habituating Fi to small, unexpected, possibly scarey things since she came (that is my hubby and I have; the neighbour is too nice to risk it!), and she has definitely grown slowly more confident. I'm wondering if she will stay nervous, or just gradually get over it.

If she stayed with my parents, she would be gradually accustomed to a crate, and then would have to put up with 2 toddlers a couple of times a week, as Frankie has to.

They are strictly not allowed to go near a crated dog: I think that is pretty ingrained by now. But the neighbour has said that there was one time, before she really knew Fi, when she put her hand on her while she was asleep, and Fi really snapped at her hard, although she did not break the skin.

Anyway, what I really want to ask is whether people think it might be possible for my Mum to foster this dog for the neighbour if they both want, or if it would be better for Fi to find a new home once the neighbour goes away, and for her to find another wonderful greyhound once she gets back?

ETA: My Mum looked after our Lola for weeks last time we went on holidays, 2 years ago, which was shortly after Lola suffered her spinal injury. She did a wonderful job, and Lola is in fantastic form now, exceeding all our expectations, so no better person to look after the dog, only looking for advice whether it is advisable, or even reasonable to ask!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭fits

After you have put so much work in, it would be lovely to try and keep her. she will probably get on with the saluki x very well. And yes she will come out of herself but it will take some time. I have a saluki x and it was months before he wagged his tail at my voice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Is it that she'd have to go through the upheaval of moving to your mam's house, only to be moved back to your neighbour in a couple of months that's stalling your decision?
    If so, to me it's a straightforward answer. The alternative is to put her in a van for a trip to the UK, which realistically means spending quite a few hours in the van, then presumably having to be fostered for x time at the other end (and let's face it, homing sighthounds in the UK is no walk in the park either, especially one with obvious problems). That's assuming she'll be fostered instead of being kenneled until she finds a home... two months with your mam, with a guaranteed forever home at the end of it, sounds like pure luxury... An opportunity that many, many dogs never get!
    And as your neighbour is used to having two dogs, maybe she'll adopt another grey in need in a few months' time anyway :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Is there any way the crate could be in a room that could be locked when the toddlers are there? Good for the dog and good for the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

I would say that the slight upheaval of staying with your mother while the owner lady is away is well worth it to the dog, in the long run.

It's probably obvious to say it but I would suggest that the dog and your mother's dog be introduced to each other on neutral territory (such as a local park, with both on leads) before the dog is brought to your mother's home for the two month stay - otherwise your mother's dog might not be happy as the intrusion.

How wonderful for the dog that she has found a safe home with your neighbour (and you and your mother!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

The main problem would be that she is so easily startled, and having snapped at the neighbour a couple of times when startled (slightly scraped the skin one time, but good bite inhibition), has been judged pretty much unsuitable for small children. There aren't any living fulltime at my mum's, but my toddler niece and nephew do go to visit, and spend the odd night sleeping over. I'm really wondering if it's too much to ask my parents to be watching out for the small risk that might pose, on top of already watching out for what their young fella does, and I have to say he does take a bit of watching with them as well.

ETA: As for introducing in neutral territory, we are having a garden party this weekend, and my parents are coming with their young boy, so plenty of opportunity to get introduced then. It really is just the potential risk to the twins when they are over visiting that would be the worry. It's Fi's tendency to startle and react, due to her very traumatic background. Were it not for that, we wouldn't be hesitating for a moment to do the obvious best thing for the dog!

• Advertisement
Advertisement