Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escape from Ireland swim 2014

Options
  • 26-06-2014 7:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing this out in howth on sunday?

Low tides at 7.15am and swim starts at 9am. Weather looks to be grand at this stage with slight NNW wind.

Did the aquathon in howth so know the end will be shallow enough but wouldn't have a clue what the prevailing currents are or where to aim for.

Anyone done it before or have advice as to what to look out for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I've done tried this about 6 times now, successfully 5 times. Not doing it this year because of Kilkee. Last year they laid out a course (bouys) based on tides/currents. It was a boomerang out towards Baldoyle/Portmarnock and then back in to the beach. I cant remember what the tide was though.

The previous year the weather was rough and there was no course marked out. The tidal flow (or was it the wind?) came from Portmarnock direction and shoved a good 30 of us to the east beyond the mouth of Howth Harbour and we were all pulled from the water.

If you contact them they will give you some guidance on tides and failing that hopefully they will again have marked out the course which will help. They will advise on the morning too.

If the weather is benign then it is a lovely swim, there should be enough traffic to keep the seals away! I havent heard of any Lions Manes in the area yet but there seem to be a lot of barrel jellyfish around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Any idea when they post results?

Advertisement