Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's Amusements (Leisureland funfare)

Options
  • 26-06-2014 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

noticed that Perks are dismantling their rides, anyone know why they are packing up the funfair already?
    (their website is dated and there's no answer on their phone before the usual 'did you ask them')

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I thought that they were still assembling, rather than taking down. Don't they often take quite a few weeks to get the whole thing up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

jkforde wrote: »
    noticed that Perks are dismantling their rides, anyone know why they are packing up the funfair already?
    (their website is dated and there's no answer on their phone before the usual 'did you ask them')

Its not the Perks its another crowd in their place this year,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where is this? The docks space?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Its not Perks this year its another company that won the contract for this year, Perks were on the radio recently expressing their disappointment that they would not be in Salthill in 2014 but hope to be back next year, they are dismantling their rides as the guests in the Galway Bay Hotel complained that they were looking out from their 4 star hotel windows at a funfair, following discussion with the hotel and the City Council they have decided to relocate the rides away from the hotel, it was in the local papers last week but cant find them. Really feel their pain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

biko wrote: »
    Where is this? The docks space?

Leisureland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Perks have been in the funfair business for generations.

Sorry they did not get the contract this year. Hope they will be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

They already took weeks to set up. Any idea where they are relocating or are they just reorienting the rides to satisfy the complainant?

Can't imagine not riding the train with the kiddies and screaming as we enter the container *cough* tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

goodluck2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

nuac wrote: »
    Perks have been in the funfair business for generations.

Sorry they did not get the contract this year. Hope they will be back.

I don't, several of my friends spent summers working there off the books for far less than minimum wage. Some of the stories about perks attitude to safety etc would put me off the place for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don't, several of my friends spent summers working there off the books for far less than minimum wage. Some of the stories about perks attitude to safety etc would put me off the place for life.

Most of the lads working there are 16-17 yrs and the min wage for 16-17 yr olds is less than that for 18+. Someone I know who worked there was just making the min wage for a 16yr old. He couldn't find a job anywhere else and was eager to save money.

I asked him about how safe the rides were, and he said that while he was there last year, they had 3 inspections and passed them all. The rides are all checked and greased regularly.

They also had an inspection from Revenue so I presume that they had to have everything in order there.

I do think that they could do a lot more in terms of employee health & safety. Young lads in particular tend to have a very poor concept of health & safety and can start messing when unsupervised.

I don't think they went through any health & safety training or if they did, it was just a quick lecture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

From Leisureland facebook feed:
    Curry's Amusements are now in full swing for the Summer today! Open daily from 12pm onwards. Make sure to pay them a visit.

So looks like whatever needed to be done was a pretty quick job and they're back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I think that a lot of the rides are owned by different people, and if a more lucrative event is happening somewhere else, and if it's easy to dis-assemble and relocate the ride, they will go there and come back afterwards.

Advertisement