Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your unpopular footballing opinions Mod warnings - post#128

• 26-06-2014 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭

Inthread Mod warnings.

Post #128 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91022077&postcount=128

Hi guys,

This a thread that i have seen on nearly every forum i've ever been a part of it, just replace football with whatever the subject is, this is a place where you can say Emile Heskey is your favorite footballer of all time without getting ripped apart for it.

I'll start things off, Tomas Rosicky is the most underrated footballer of all time, Messi is in a different league to Ronaldo and Patrice Evra is highly overrated.

Comments

Hi guys,

This a thread that i have seen on nearly every forum i've ever been a part of it, just replace football with whatever the subject is, this is a place where you can say Emile Heskey is your favorite footballer of all time without getting ripped apart for it.

I'll start things off, Tomas Rosicky is the most underrated footballer of all time, Messi is in a different league to Ronaldo and Patrice Evra is highly overrated.
    Suarez is a hero. Does whatever it takes to win and anybody who disagrees is a Jealous prick..... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Suarez is actually a nice guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

FIFA are reasonably good at the incredibly difficult task of running the one truly global sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Look back over the past few UTD superthreads and you will find that Evra is far from overrated. He has been dirge for the past 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Look back over the past few UTD superthreads and you will find that Evra is far from overrated. He has been dirge for the past 2 years.

The whole point of this thread is that you can express YOUR opinion without being told it's wrong by someone who shares a different one :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool should have sold Gerrard in 2010 when he was still worth a hefty sum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I hold true to whatever I said in the last unpopular football opinions thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

It only took 1 post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

mike65 wrote: »
    Liverpool should have sold Gerrard in 2010.

Mike! I'm impressed. They really should

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The whole point of this thread is that you can express YOUR opinion without being told it's wrong by someone who shares a different one :)

I think a thread for controversial opinions with no pre-requisite to back them up is going to get trolled to pieces :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

diving and incorrect referring decisions are what make the game great as a form of consumable entertainment

I think a thread for controversial opinions with no pre-requisite to back them up is going to get trolled to pieces :)

People's unpopular opinions are exactly that, unpopular, so nearly everyone will disagree thus starting a massive argument/debate with every post, the idea is that you know everyone disagrees with what your posting...they don't need to tell you 100 times.

I dunno i'm not gonna try moderate a thread, troll all you's like! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Traps approach is the best chance we have of making a major international tournament for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

We need to stop eulogising about Italia 90.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

People who say how good trap was are intentionally attempting to troll and are essentially lonely wind up merchants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Card waving isn't the despicable act it's made out to be. Players try and influence the referees decision all through the game without any criticism but wave an imaginary card and you're the spawn of Satan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

gufc21 wrote: »
    People who say how good trap was are intentionally attempting to troll and are essentially lonely wind up merchants

That directed at me? I didn't say trap was good, I said his approach is the best chance we have of making a major tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Supporting certain teams causes brain damage.

There could be dietary factors involved too but there's strong circumstantial evidence to support this and it's known that cognitive impairment can occur when brain functions, like reasoning and logical thought, are not used for long periods.

This might actually be a fairly popular opinion.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Card waving isn't the despicable act it's made out to be. Players try and influence the referees decision all through the game without any criticism but wave an imaginary card and you're the spawn of Satan.

Shout at the ref and ask for the booking and you are fine. Wave the imaginary card and everyone loses their minds!

Robbie Fowler was complete scat after he done his knee in.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A complete collapse of the Premiership clubs' collective finances would be good for the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Hazard is the most overrated player in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

beno619 wrote: »
    Hazard is the most overrated player in the Premier League.

Throw Oscar into the mix too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

messi is a scumbag, spitting in players faces, doesn't pay tax and his father uses his charity as a money laundering operation... and he is incredible lazy on the football field

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

The vast majority of Man Utd fans are glory hunters with no proper knowledge of football. Most of them have never even been to Old Trafford

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Wayne Rooney is the most overrated player in the world of the last 10 years. I even think Robbie Keane in his prime in my team before Rooney.

How Liverpool still have Daniel Agger is beyond me he is terrible. Finally Rodgers saw how poor he is. He cost Liverpool so many times down through the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Most football fans should keep their opinions to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Claiming a penalty for a handball when you can clearly see the ball hit your opponent in the stomach is effectively the same thing as diving (undeserved penalty, possible red card). Yet the fans/media never get their knickers in a twist over this, another example of everyones hypocrisy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

leonidas83 wrote: »
    The vast majority of Man Utd fans are glory hunters with no proper knowledge of football. Most of them have never even been to Old Trafford

Judging by Jersey Sales, you could say the same about at least 20 clubs around the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I like Messi and Ronaldo and appreciate them both for being two of the all time greats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

A fan is free to support any team, from any country, that they choose. If that team can have foreign players playing for it, it can have foreign fans supporting it. You must, however, attend a home game at least once.

I think it's ok to follow English football and have an interest but it's embarrassing when you hear Irish people saying "we" and "us". Your not from England let alone Manchester or Liverpool etc! Your from some bog down in Longford or somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Barstoolers are a national embarrassment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

People should get over this biting thing.

Its bad alright and should be punished appropriately, but I fail to see how its different to other violent conduct like elbowing etc.

So get over yourselves with all these demands for lifetime bans etc, it's pathetic. And btw I'm no Liverpool fan, in fact I don't like them much at all, just in case that becomes part of an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Away goals should be abolished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

risteard7 wrote: »
    Wayne Rooney is the most overrated player in the world of the last 10 years. I even think Robbie Keane in his prime in my team before Rooney.

How Liverpool still have Daniel Agger is beyond me he is terrible. Finally Rodgers saw how poor he is. He cost Liverpool so many times down through the years.

you are clearly drunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I'd rather have some try bite me on the pitch than end my career by trying to break my legs.

bangkok wrote: »
    you are clearly drunk

Not a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Glasgow Celtic are terrible and would definitely get relegated within a season from the Premiership if they were in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

leonidas83 wrote: »
    I thought this thread was about unpopular opinions?

This thread on this forum:
    I can enjoy Football as well as the GAH and Rugby.

This thread on the GAA forum:
    I can enjoy GAA as well as soccer and Rugby.

This thread on the Rugby forum:
    I can enjoy Rugby as well as soccer and the GAH.

Glasgow Celtic are terrible and would definitely get relegated within a season from the Premiership if they were in it.

Celtic are a championship team and the rest are league 1

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

1) Gerrard was only good this past season for 4-5 months, turn of the year onwards. Before that he was beyond appalling and people refuse to see that are clueless. Likewise the first half of the season before. People who disagree are sentimental fools.

2) Agger should have been sold to City a few years ago. No hindsight. Reference Liverpool thread around the time of him being linked with them. Said the same for Skrtel too.

3) But for a year at Pompey in which he seemingly had zero defensive responsibility and a handful of games here or there with Liverpool, Glen Johnson has been absolute crap.

4) Lucas still has a role at Liverpool, but cannot play alongside Gerrard or vice versa whatsoever. Reference the Spurs, City and Chelsea games during the Xmas period where Liverpool were unfortunate to come away with only 3 points out of those fixtures, more so the former two games where Lucas was very good to excellent in a midfield containing Henderson, Allen and/or Coutinho.

5) The more I see him play there, the more I think Sterling is better centrally than out wide. That's not to say he's a bad wing forward by any means I should stress.

6) More for Dortmund born and bred folk, Weidenfeller is immensely overrated. Schmelzer too.

7) Coutinho should be in the Brazil squad right now. Oscar doesn't, and it's a joke both him and Firmino missed out. Likewise the Atleti pair of Miranda and Felipe Luis, PSG's Lucas Moura too, but that goes without saying really. All in all, Hulk, Luiz, Oscar and Paulinho certainly did not deserve a place in the team for me, and yet.. they all frickin' start!

8) Andy Carroll's move to Liverpool for 30M has been rivalled by David Luiz for 50M. Speaking of Luiz, the only position he should play is DM and Rafa is the only one seemingly to get it right.

9) People who continue to believe the English or Spanish press in particular when it comes to ANYTHING regarding the Bundesliga players potentially on the move need a telling off.

*COUGH* Reus *COUGH*. *COUGH* Klopp *COUGH*

Kicker doesn't make BS. BILD is hit n miss, but more hit than the British, Irish and Spanish garbage.

10) Sorry, but Belgium crossed the line from being 'darkhorses' 3-4 years ago. Please (media and fans) stop referring to them as that. They were 5th favourites in the betting odds heading into this thing, ffs.

11) Medel is immensely overrated by Liverpool fans on this forum in regards to midfield, a VERY poor man's Mascherano, a ticking time bomb of a DM, but he is far more composed at CB, even if he like the Argentine can be exposed through a lack height there depending on the opposition.

12) Kagawa was on par at the very least the best CAMs in world football before signing for Man U and should have stayed at Dortmund for at least one more year, despite his dream of trying his hand in the EPL and La Liga at least once during his career.

Not sure this actually an unpopular opinion but I think football has come to a crossroads in terms of pace and physicality and foul play .
    The number of elbows and head clashes etc has gone through the roof in recent years. The game gets faster and more physical by the minute. People go flat out into challenges all the time and if this continues to develop that way we will have a lot more injuries in the future. Somehow we need to put a stop to this.
    On the other hand we have gamesmanship almost ruining some games as in rolling around, exaggerating, demanding cards, swarming the ref etc.

So we have on one hand overzealous challenges which often don't get punished at all and on the other hand people being punished for half nothing because of all this playacting.

I think these two things need to be addressed or it will ruin the game within the next 5 to 10 years.

Match fixing is endemic, from the top down, in the form of seeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

If any EPL team moved in the opposite direction to tbe SPFL they would lose all of their Premier league money, most of their sponsorship money, all of their European money, the majority of their overseas supporters and 90% of their first team players and lose the league to Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Match fixing is endemic, from the top down, in the form of seeding.

I hate seeding.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I hate seeding.

Ye but it would be worse without seeding.

Brazil don't stand a chance at winning the world cup and are completely overrated and over hyped. Portugal are also **** and only get rated because Ronaldo plays for them.

Some countries (maybe even Ireland) should just forgo the world cup qualifiers altogether and play a "division 2" World Cup amongst themselves. Andorra, Liechtenstein, Bhutan... what's the point of them getting mullered year in year out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Some countries (maybe even Ireland) should just forgo the world cup qualifiers altogether and play a "division 2" World Cup amongst themselves. Andorra, Liechtenstein, Bhutan... what's the point of them getting mullered year in year out?

Winners of the Sh1t WC get promoted to the good one, while worst team in good WC gets Demotes. 2 world cups. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Liverpool fans and Manchester United fans are two peas in a pod.

• Advertisement
Advertisement