Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your unpopular footballing opinions Mod warnings - post#128

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Here's my unpopular opinion, real football fans don't feel the need to have a superiority complex because they live close to a stadium and have the money or means to attend matches every week, they'd rather just talk about football like the vast majority of people I meet every time I have attended a game in England or Ireland.

I don't have a superiority complex. Some lad who doesn't go to games told us he's a bigger fan than people who do so I responded in kind and a debate began. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Some scutter being talked here lads.
    Every single person is different - the sweeping generalisations are ridiculous.
    The opinion that I'm not as much of a supporter of Manchester United as someone from Salford, for example is ridiculous. I'm just as emotionally attached to the club as anyone.
    The assumption that all United fans jumped on the bandwagon in 1990's is ridiculous.

I posted this a while back.
    My uncle Tom used to live in Sale, Cheshire for donkeys years before he died about 12 years ago. He went to every home game, and most away games.
    When I was growing up during the 80's and early 90's, I used to get a package from him every couple of months with all the United Review's (match programmes), t shirts, keyrings, etc. etc. etc.

Because of Tom, I had jerseys when I was a young chap when no-one else had them. I remember having the Green GK's jersey around 1991/2 when they weren't available here, also I think I was one of the first to have a long-sleeved jersey around here too.

We visited Tom in 1990, and I'll always remember the feeling of seeing Old Trafford for the first time. Been over to a few games since, but nothing will ever beat that feeling - magical....

Still have all the programmes and jerseys too.....

I have the same bills as anyone else, and so cannot get to Manchester as often as I would like (once a season, maybe twice). To say that if I was a real fan I would find a way is just trying to wind people up. And I'm sure every club in England has Irish supporters that are in the same situation as me.

Anyone that judges me because of who I support, doesn't bother their bollox asking why I do, and then makes assumptions about me can fcuk right off.

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Some scutter being talked here lads.
    Every single person is different - the sweeping generalisations are ridiculous.
    The opinion that I'm not as much of a supporter of Manchester United as someone from Salford, for example is ridiculous. I'm just as emotionally attached to the club as anyone.
    The assumption that all United fans jumped on the bandwagon in 1990's is ridiculous.

I posted this a while back.

I have the same bills as anyone else, and so cannot get to Manchester as often as I would like (once a season, maybe twice). To say that if I was a real fan I would find a way is just trying to wind people up. And I'm sure every club in England has Irish supporters that are in the same situation as me.

Anyone that judges me because of who I support, doesn't bother their bollox asking why I do, and then makes assumptions about me can fcuk right off.

Jesus wept. This reads like the post of a 14 year old goth.

CSF wrote: »
    Jesus wept. This reads like the post of a 14 year old goth.

Nope. A 37 year old plasterer.
    But thanks. ;)

Nope. A 37 year old plasterer.
    But thanks. ;)

Probably best to quit the 'you don't know my story' whinging then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I don't have a superiority complex. Some lad who doesn't go to games told us he's a bigger fan than people who do so I responded in kind and a debate began. Simples.

As I have already said attending games is the very essence of being a supporter and for that I give you guys your due respect. Using that to denegrade "barstoolers" to me doesn't suggest a superiority complex at all. It suggests some form of inferiority complex.

Probably best to quit the 'you don't know my story' whinging then

Whinging? Nope, wrong again.

And why should I not post my opinion on your posts. This is a discussion board after all.

Fescue wrote: »
    As I have already said attending games is the very essence of being a supporter and for that I give you guys your due respect. Using that to denegrade "barstoolers" to me doesn't suggest a superiority complex at all. It suggests some form of inferiority complex.

Does it yeah? Except I'm not 'denegrading' anyone, I'm responding to a debate started by another poster and some people are getting precious about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Yes you do. You may not want to admit it but you do.

Whinging? Nope, wrong again.

And why should I not post my opinion on your posts. This is a discussion board after all.

You should post your opinion on my posts. I've done the same to you in kind.

• Advertisement

Yes you do. You may not want to admit it but you do.

Cheers doc. Sometimes admitting it is the hardest step.

As have I, read it again.
    It's directly addressing your opinion that someone who doesn't find a way to go to Milan every week is not a real supporter.
    Anyway, I think your opinion is not only unpopular, but simply wrong and I've said so, and i'm not going to get involved in a tit-for-tat war of words with you.
    I think you're wrong, now whether that is your actual opinion or not or if you are looking for a rise, I cannot say, but I've said my piece, and I'm leaving it at that.

As have I, read it again.
    It's directly addressing your opinion that someone who doesn't find a way to go to Milan every week is not a real supporter.
    Anyway, I think your opinion is not only unpopular, but simply wrong and I've said so, and i'm not going to get involved in a tit-for-tat war of words with you.
    I think you're wrong, now whether that is your actual opinion or not or if you are looking for a rise, I cannot say, but I've said my piece, and I'm leaving it at that.
    It's a pretty popular opinion among those who do, not so much among those who don't. This is neither surprising nor is it news.

I just find it weird that y'all weren't accusing the guy who initially said he was a bigger fan as having a superiority complex, or is that ok because he's kinda the same as you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It's a pretty popular opinion among those who do, not so much among those who don't. This is neither surprising nor is it news.

I just find it weird that y'all weren't accusing the guy who initially said he was a bigger fan as having a superiority complex, or is that ok because he's kinda the same as you.

Who said what your on about? Can you quote it?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Who said what your on about? Can you quote it?

It's a good few pages back. Smithwicks Man was the poster. The Milan fan that has been continually referenced through the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    Seems like a petty shot at premier league fans. There's people who live a stones throw away from stadiums and still can't afford to go every week

Yes, because we know Sky sports is free. :confused:

And if youre a child posting on here chances are that you wont have paid for the TV licence at home or the TV.

A seasons ticket for a child at my club was €40 or less than €2 per game. Doesnt wash. You probably spend more on electricity watching games on TV than going out to watch the games if you are a child!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Here's s comparison. Two fellas live on the same street in Glasnevin. One goes to go to see every Dublin GAA fixture, the other chap watches them on the telly . Would you not consider the first guy a bigger supporter?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Here's s comparison. Two fellas live on the same street in Glasnevin. One goes to go to see every Dublin GAA fixture, the other chap watches them on the telly . Would you not consider the first guy a bigger supporter?

Not if the guy who watches them on the telly wishes upon a star that he was at the game.

In fairness if it was in Dublin, the guy not at the match would break into the other guys house and steal yer mans TV. Plus have a bit of a joyride in his car for good measure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Is it coincidence that LoI fans are normally the ones who hold an extremesensible view of what a fan is?

It's like they have to justify their support of the sh*te served up.

'I don't go because I enjoy it...I do it because I am a real fan'.

FYP. By the way, I seriously doubt that any football supporter doesn't go because they enjoy it. I thoroughly enjoy going to watch my team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Is it coincidence that LoI fans are normally the ones who hold an extreme view of what a fan is?
    Its not a coincidence no, people who are football fans go to football. That people who are football fans go to football would not be an unpopular football opinion anywhere else in Europe tbh.

You arent as much a supporter as someone from Salford who goes to all the games, and theres no way you can have as much an attachment to a Manchester club as someone from Manchester does. The hypothetical guy from Salford would laugh in your face if you even suggested it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

drumswan wrote: »
    Out of interest, do you consider yourself as big a fan of Milan as a season ticket holder from the city who goes to all their games?
    You can't compare fan to fan like that without knowing the other personally. I said that in my second post. A diehard city fan who doesn't have the financial means to go to the games could be a bigger fan than me or than someone who goes to every game.

My point is that the act of going to every home game is not a good indicator of this. Desire to see the team win, knowledge of the players etc. and interest in the club's activities are far better barometers than simply attending a game.

Would you consider a Man City season ticket holder who goes to every single game but talks on the phone for the several times throughout and spends 20 minutes of the second half getting a bite to eat a more diehard fan, simply because he's attending the games? :confused:
    I said that because it was as absurd a comment as yours in that there was no way to prove it and when someone questioned me on it I posted the following -

"That's my point. There's no evidence to support it. Comparing fans is a pointless argument because it's impossible to gauge who's a better fan without knowing each individual.

Saying that simply going to the games automatically makes someone a better fan is wrong though."

Which I'm sure you saw but it was easier to ignore.
    That's hardly the same comparison as one fan traveling to home and away games in a small country like Ireland at a relatively small cost compared to other fans who would have to travel to the airport and fly to a different country and most likely have to stay overnight to attend a home game of the team they support.

As I said above:

Would you consider a season ticket holder who goes to every single game but talks on the phone for the several times throughout and spends 20 minutes of the second half getting a bite to eat a more diehard fan, simply because he's attending the games?

That's hardly the same comparison as one fan traveling to home and away games in a small country like Ireland at a relatively small cost compared to other fans who would have to travel to the airport and fly to a different country and most likely have to stay overnight to attend a home game of the team they support.

?

It's quite valid and its exactly what makes the whole supporting a team from abroad a bit weird tbh. Listen to what you said. You've to catch a plane to travel to another country to watch a 'home' game. That's absurd now matter what way you look at it. But over here it's just accepted. That's what makes it an unpopular opinion, but I find it very strange. And i'd wager most people across the continent do too. People from Dundee would generally support Dundee or Dundee Utd. People from Nottingham would generally support Forest or Notts County. If you had a lad from Southampton supporting Leeds, he'd be looked at as a strange character would he not? People would automatically ask, "why do you not support Southampton?".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

This is just generally to those posters who are talking about "real fans", "hardcore fans", "barstoolers" and "proper fans"

Where does the need to rank fans on how "real" they are come from? Would you look out for fans at the game that don't go as much as you and rank them below you as well or what is the criteria? That 95% thing was strange. Are people who inherited their club from their relatives not real fans?

I support Chelsea because I just do and I support Cheltenham because I just do. I'm passionate about both teams and that's usually enough to be considered a fan of something (Although I've never encountered these opinions in actual conversations).

I find it bizarre that someone should tell me that I actually don't support them because boy do I feel silly watching their games and wanting them to win every game.

Would you consider a season ticket holder who goes to every single game but talks on the phone for the several times throughout and spends 20 minutes of the second half getting a bite to eat a more diehard fan, simply because he's attending the games?
    Yes.

I think barstoolers do all these mental gymnastics in their head trying to prove to themselves that they are the same as the matchgoing fan becuase deep down they know they simply arent.

Football fans generally go to football.

Yes.

I think barstoolers do all these mental gymnastics in their head trying to prove to themselves that they are the same as the matchgoing fan becuase deep down they know they simply arent.

Football fans generally go to football.

Why does it bother you that other football fans support their team in different ways?

I'm passionate about both teams
    Do a bit of a Tifosi display in your sitting room before the games do you?

Do a bit of a Tifosi display in your sitting room before the games do you?

No, why?

• Advertisement

Why does it bother you that other football fans support their team in different ways?

I find it interesting. Im interested in football, football supporters and football culture, I live in Ireland and its the prevailing opinions of people who claim to be football people but contribute nothing to football in this country which is doing greatest damage to Irish football domestically and at international level. That OK with you?

No, why?

How do you exhibit this 'passion' you speak of then? Does it have an outward form, or is it all in your head?

I find it interesting. Im interested in football, football supporters and football culture, I live in Ireland and its the prevailing opinions of people who claim to be football people but contribute nothing to football in this country which is doing greatest damage to Irish football domestically and at international level. That OK with you?
    It's strange to suggest (and a bit of a strawman) that people who don't go to every game are damaging the sport. Am I "damaging" the Irish lacrosse federation by not going to every game?

How do you exhibit this 'passion' you speak of then? Does it have an outward form, or is it all in your head?

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

If I go to every Rovers game home and away, but consider myself more of a Liverpool fan... am I wrong? Do I not know who I support more?

What are you on about?

You said you are passionate about Cheltenham and Chelsea. Im wondering how you demonstrate this passion?

Most football fans would do it by getting involved with their club, going to games home and away, singing, joining supporters groups, that sort of thing. How do you do it?

• Advertisement

It's strange to suggest (and a bit of a strawman) that people who don't go to every game are damaging the sport. Am I "damaging" the Irish lacrosse federation by not going to every game?
    Do you go around claiming to be a big lacrosse fan and spend all your money on British lacrosse?

Im starting to think barstooling is some kind of mass hypnosis at this stage.

You said you are passionate about Cheltenham and Chelsea. Im wondering how you demonstrate this passion?

Most football fans would do it by getting involved with their club, going to games home and away, singing, joining supporters groups, that sort of thing. How do you do it?

So what you're saying is the last 15 years of my life have been a lie, Im not actually a fan of my team? This is a kick in the teeth.

So what you're saying is the last 15 years of my life have been a lie, Im not actually a fan of my team? This is a kick in the teeth.

I see you didnt answer the question there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

No they don't. Most football fans support teams that are far away from where they live.

gosplan wrote: »
    No they don't. Most football fans support teams that are far away from where they live.
    If you accept that people from Malaysia who say they support Manchester City are actually Manchester City fans you might be right.

Most people across Europe support clubs near where they live.

• Advertisement

It's quite valid and its exactly what makes the whole supporting a team from abroad a bit weird tbh. Listen to what you said. You've to catch a plane to travel to another country to watch a 'home' game. That's absurd now matter what way you look at it. But over here it's just accepted. That's what makes it an unpopular opinion, but I find it very strange. And i'd wager most people across the continent do too. People from Dundee would generally support Dundee or Dundee Utd. People from Nottingham would generally support Forest or Notts County. If you had a lad from Southampton supporting Leeds, he'd be looked at as a strange character would he not? People would automatically ask, "why do you not support Southampton?".

So who would i be "supposed" to support? There's not even a LOI team near where I live, I didn't grow up watching them play and have no affiliation to them but I should support one anyway just because they're based in Ireland?

Also, you never answered my question:

Do you go around claiming to be a big lacrosse fan?

Im starting to think barstooling is some kind of mass hypnosis at this stage.

So now I'm hypnotised? This is hilarious! Don't tell me, it was Sky Sports who did it wasn't it!

I did answer it, yes I would.

"Support" who you like, but stop spoofing yourself that you are like the people in the San Siro when you watch on the TV, you are not.

So now I'm hypnotised? This is hilarious! Don't tell me, it was Sky Sports who did it wasn't it!

My sources are looking into this. Its the only explanation I can come up with for someone sitting at home, alone, watching the television thinking they are a 'passionate football supporter'.

Anyway, Ive to go out so enjoy your mass delusion lads. Funny how this is the only unpopular opinion which really gained any traction in this thread, I guess the truth hurts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's not so much unpopular as stupid.

So who would i be "supposed" to support? There's not even a LOI team near where I live, I didn't grow up watching them play and have no affiliation to them but I should support one anyway just because they're based in Ireland?

Nobody is telling you who you should or shouldn't support. Just that your claim that you're twice the supporter (or half of the supporter to be honest) of people who actually go to games and support their team is utter delusional rubbish.

I couldn't give a ****e who you say you support, nor would I have even dreamt of entering such a topic on here had you not made such a ridiculously nonsensical statement.

I don't think that phone talking question was directed at me initially but yeah anyone who does that is an absolute goon and is possibly a corporate box type anyway, wouldn't be my definition of a fan. It'd be a bit like goin to the cinema and textin throughout. Why would anyone waste their time and money doing that? Anyway, I've never seen that myself. As for who you should support? I actually don't care who anyone supports. My only point was that I think it's a bit weird to go to home games in another country and that it's generally accepted over here, thereby making my opinion unpopular and on topic to the thread!

I did answer it, yes I would.

"Support" who you like, but stop spoofing yourself that you are like the people in the San Siro when you watch on the TV, you are not.
    I never said I was like anybody. I'm saying that a football fan does not necessarily have to attend a large percentage of the games in order to be a proper fan. A view that the majority would hold I'd imagine.
    Nobody is telling you who you should or shouldn't support. Just that your claim that you're twice the supporter (or half of the supporter to be honest) of people who actually go to games and support their team is utter delusional rubbish.

I couldn't give a ****e who you say you support, nor would I have even dreamt of entering such a topic on here had you not made such a ridiculously nonsensical statement.

You continue to ignore the fact that I made that comment intentionally baseless to disprove your point but you keep repeating the same drivel so there's no point anymore.

You're saying that I couldn't possibly be a proper fan because I don't go to the games every week. So that means no Irish person could possibly be a proper fan of a team outside of Ireland (bar the extreme minority that can travel over weekly, if there even is anybody).

Of all the stupid arguments I've gotten into on Boards about football, this is the stupidest. Your opinion has gone from being unpopular to bizarre to laughable. :pac:

I never said I was like anybody. I'm saying that a football fan does not necessarily have to attend a large percentage of the games in order to be a proper fan. A view that the majority would hold I'd imagine.

You continue to ignore the fact that I made that comment intentionally baseless to disprove your point but you keep repeating the same drivel so there's no point anymore.

You're saying that I couldn't possibly be a proper fan because I don't go to the games every week. So that means no Irish person could possibly be a proper fan of a team outside of Ireland (bar the extreme minority that can travel over weekly, if there even is anybody).

Of all the stupid arguments I've gotten into on Boards about football, this is the stupidest. Your opinion has gone from being unpopular to bizarre to laughable. :pac:
    You said it before I even entered the thread to be fair (well apart from my posts about Javier Hernandez) so you definitely didn't make it to disprove my point.

You're backtracking now.

And yeah that is what I'm saying. It isn't stupid. It is a commonly held belief throughout Europe.

You can't compare fan to fan like that without knowing the other personally. I said that in my second post. A diehard city fan who doesn't have the financial means to go to the games could be a bigger fan than me or than someone who goes to every game.

My point is that the act of going to every home game is not a good indicator of this. Desire to see the team win, knowledge of the players etc. and interest in the club's activities are far better barometers than simply attending a game.

Would you consider a Man City season ticket holder who goes to every single game but talks on the phone for the several times throughout and spends 20 minutes of the second half getting a bite to eat a more diehard fan, simply because he's attending the games? :confused:

I said that because it was as absurd a comment as yours in that there was no way to prove it and when someone questioned me on it I posted the following -

"That's my point. There's no evidence to support it. Comparing fans is a pointless argument because it's impossible to gauge who's a better fan without knowing each individual.

Saying that simply going to the games automatically makes someone a better fan is wrong though."

Which I'm sure you saw but it was easier to ignore.

As I said above:

I know loads of facts about Kazakhstan but in reality I really know nothing about it.

If I went on Holiday there I think I would know more.

If I worked there for a month maybe a bit more.

If I learned Kazakh and Russian and went over and lived there for five years there I would know an awful lot more.

But, if I was born and bred there and grew up and was Kazakh, then youve guessed it, I would understand the culture perfectly.

Learning facts and and posting stuff up about Kazakhstan really doesnt make me an expert on Kazakhstan. Case closed. Thank you

• Advertisement
Advertisement