Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your unpopular footballing opinions Mod warnings - post#128

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I know loads of facts about Kazakhstan but in reality I really know nothing about it.

If I went on Holiday there I think I would know more.

If I worked there for a month maybe a bit more.

If I learned Kazakh and Russian and went over and lived there for five years there I would know an awful lot more.

But, if I was born and bred there and grew up and was Kazakh, then youve guessed it, I would understand the culture perfectly.

Learning facts and and posting stuff up about Kazakhstan really doesnt make me an expert on Kazakhstan. Case closed. Thank you
    Yeah, but, what if you spent all the time on the phone in Kazakhstan or getting a bite to eat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

So not having the financial means, or in some cases the physical ability, to attend matches means they are not fans?
    Seems harsh.
    CSF wrote: »
    Kinda yeah, unfortunate as it is. I want to be an astronaut but can't afford the training and definitely lack the physical ability. This means I'm not an astronaut? Seems harsh.
    You said it before I even entered the thread to be fair (well apart from my posts about Javier Hernandez) so you definitely didn't make it to disprove my point.

You're backtracking now.

And yeah that is what I'm saying. It isn't stupid. It is a commonly held belief throughout Europe.
    Right well that's not true because there's one of your posts about it before I posted in the thread at all. I'm not backtracking at all. I couldn't have stood firmer on my view that I disagree with you.

"Commonly held view throughout Europe" :rolleyes: Oh right, well my view is a commonly held view throughout Asia ;)
    I know loads of facts about Kazakhstan but in reality I really know nothing about it.

If I went on Holiday there I think I would know more.

If I worked there for a month maybe a bit more.

If I learned Kazakh and Russian and went over and lived there for five years there I would know an awful lot more.

But, if I was born and bred there and grew up and was Kazakh, then youve guessed it, I would understand the culture perfectly.

Learning facts and and posting stuff up about Kazakhstan really doesnt make me an expert on Kazakhstan. Case closed. Thank you
    That would be a very valid point to this debate except for the fact that Kazakhstan is a country and we're debating the support of football clubs.

Right well that's not true because there's one of your posts about it before I posted in the thread at all. I'm not backtracking at all. I couldn't have stood firmer on my view that I disagree with you.

"Commonly held view throughout Europe" :rolleyes: Oh right, well my view is a commonly held view throughout Asia ;)

That would be a very valid point to this debate except for the fact that Kazakhstan is a country and we're debating the support of football clubs.
    Grand, well at least we have found something we can agree on, you're a similar kind of football supporter to a great number of those in Asia. You think that is a good thing, I think that is a terrible thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Same logic though. As for the financial aspects I thought I answered that already. Tickets are fairly low.

In fact I dont go to away games.
    Yes, because we know Sky sports is free. :confused:

And if youre a child posting on here chances are that you wont have paid for the TV licence at home or the TV.

A seasons ticket for a child at my club was €40 or less than €2 per game. Doesnt wash. You probably spend more on electricity watching games on TV than going out to watch the games if you are a child!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

CSF, do you not support Aston Villa or am I mistaken?

Paully D wrote: »
    CSF, do you not support Aston Villa or am I mistaken?
    You're mistaken but you would be forgiven for thinking otherwise because I go to alot of Villa games and have a keen interest in them.

Shels are my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

So that means no Irish person could possibly be a proper fan of a team outside of Ireland

Now you've got it :D You can "support" whoever you like, but the fact is they are not your team. Not really. Football teams belong to the communities where they exist. Otherwise what we have is consumerism. Of course people are free to do whatever they like, and other people are equally free to have no respect for them. It's interesting how it touches a nerve though.

Grand, well at least we have found something we can agree on, you're a similar kind of football supporter to a great number of those in Asia. You think that is a good thing, I think that is a terrible thing.
    You're good at twisting other people's words to suit your argument. Also, you seem to think that making snide remarks makes you look clever but it's just a sign of ignorance.
    Same logic though. As for the financial aspects I thought I answered that already. Tickets are fairly low.
    In fact I dont go to away games.
    It's not the same logic. Someone not from Kazakhstan would be from somewhere else and thus have "first" country if you like. What about somebody who has no local football team?

What yous are basically saying is that you're not a real fan unless you're from the area that the club is from and attend the majority of the matches.

What about people who are from an area where there is no club? They can't be considered proper football fans?

Would cost be minimum €400 per game including flights and accommodation plus my whole weekend to travel to home games so it's simply not feasible.
    trashcan wrote: »
    Now you've got it :D You can "support" whoever you like, but the fact is they are not your team. Not really. Football teams belong to the communities where they exist. Otherwise what we have is consumerism. Of course people are free to do whatever they like, and other people are equally free to have no respect for them. It's interesting how it touches a nerve though.
    It hits a nerve because it's absolutely absurd to think that the only way a person can have a team is if they are from the exact area that the team is from.

What about people who have no local team? They're simply not fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

You're mistaken but you would be forgiven for thinking otherwise because I go to alot of Villa games and have a keen interest in them.

Shels are my team.

You're a Villa fan.

• Advertisement

Fescue wrote: »
    You're a Villa fan.

You're telling me I've been arguing with this lad about what can and can't determine a proper fan and he supports two different teams?

Are you having a fu**ing laugh?! :pac:

G'way CSF with your tripe about proper fans.

You're telling me I've been arguing with this lad about what can and can't determine a proper fan and he supports two different teams?

Are you having a fu**ing laugh?! :pac:

G'way CSF with your tripe about proper fans.
    I support Shelbourne FC.

I support Shelbourne FC and Aston Villa FC.

Fyp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Can't see how people are arguing with CSF here.

His point is valid. Those who go to watch their local clubs week-in, week-out, irrespective of quality or whatever, will rightly be a bit miffed with someone going on like they are a similar kind of fan because they chose the best team in another league in order to associate themselves with success, bought a sky sub and plonked themselves in front of a flatscreen. They are two very different experiences and don't really compare to one another.

Look at it like this:

Bloke 1: Hey random black dude, I was a huge supporter of the civil rights movement, like you.
    Bloke 2: Yeah, I went to around 10 marches, got arrested, the usual. How did you support us?
    Bloke 1: I....uh....watched it on TV and talked about it with my work colleagues.
    Bloke 1: ...

It's a harsh reality but one that most need to accept. The PL and La Liga and their supporters have become like WWF. Choose your faces and your heels and watch the pantomime. This forum and the United\Liverpool "dramas" are great examples of this.

I like United, but my experience of liking them isn't as meaningful as the dudes who grew up in the area and go to every game and dedicate huge portions of their lives to supporting them in the flesh. I'd feel a bit foolish suggesting that it was.

I support Shelbourne FC.

To be fair CSF, you did post the below a few pages back in the Villa thread:

"Villa being the highlight of anything is a shock to me. As a regular match going fan we do seem to have some of the most fickle fans in the Prem."

It does appear to be more than a keen interest you hold for them considering you call them "we" and yourself a "fan".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I know what CSF is an acronym for but I couldn't say it without being banned.:confused:

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    To be fair CSF, you did post the below a few pages back in the Villa thread:

"Villa being the highlight of anything is a shock to me. As a regular match going fan we do seem to have some of the most fickle fans in the Prem."

It does appear to be more than a keen interest you hold for them considering you call them "we" and yourself a "fan".
    And I'm telling you now that I don't consider myself a genuine Villa fan. Consider the situation clarified.
    Zico wrote: »
    I know what CSF is an acronym for but I couldn't say it without being banned.:confused:
    Cool. Good man.

And I'm telling you now that I don't consider myself a genuine Villa fan. Consider the situation clarified.

This is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Zico wrote: »
    You won't get banned for saying Cool Soccer Fan

Fescue wrote: »
    This is hilarious.
    Thanks for the update.

And as an addition, if I was to claim myself to be a genuine fan, I'd be in a much better position to do so than the lads having a laugh at that, considering I actually do go to most of the home games.

But yeah, its hilarious that I regularly go to football games for a variety of football teams every season. I actually can't get over how funny that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

You're good at twisting other people's words to suit your argument. Also, you seem to think that making snide remarks makes you look clever but it's just a sign of ignorance.

It's not the same logic. Someone not from Kazakhstan would be from somewhere else and thus have "first" country if you like.

I'm sorry? :confused:Genuinely confused about this bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

Between 2000-2006, Robert Pires was a superior player than Ryan Giggs....

Thanks for the update.

And as an addition, if I was to claim myself to be a genuine fan, I'd be in a much better position to do so than the lads having a laugh at that, considering I actually do go to most of the home games.

But yeah, its hilarious that I regularly go to football games for a variety of football teams every season. I actually can't get over how funny that is.
    What's hilarious is how you had such specific criteria for what you deemed to be a proper football fan. You can't possibly be a proper football fan unless you support your local team and attend all of the homes games but yet you're allowed have a second team if that suits. Give over.

I have absolutely no problem with somebody supporting Shelbourne and also supporting Villa in the Premiership. But it's fairly rich that somebody who does so could say that others aren't proper fans simply because they're following a team from a different country.

I'm sorry? :confused:Genuinely confused about this bit.
    The first part of that post was not directed at you, only the part under where I quoted you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

You're not a real fan of a team unless you attend a lot of their games but you're not a Villa fan even though you attend a lot of their games?

Sounds logical...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I said this to a few friends a couple of days ago and was roundly turned on so I assume it will qualify as an unpopular opinion. Sergio Busquets is the greatest holding midfielder in the history of football. All of the defensive qualities of Makelele, and physically more impressive, and the technique to match the greatest of La Masia graduates, along with having a reading and understanding of the sport that screams out in every single thing he does. As Del Bosque once said, he is a coach that plays. He is the perfect Barcelona player, the perfect holding midfielder who, at least on my lifetime, knows no equal.

Can't see how people are arguing with CSF here.

His point is valid. Those who go to watch their local clubs week-in, week-out, irrespective of quality or whatever, will rightly be a bit miffed with someone going on like they are a similar kind of fan because they chose the best team in another league in order to associate themselves with success, bought a sky sub and plonked themselves in front of a flatscreen. They are two very different experiences and don't really compare to one another.

Look at it like this:

Bloke 1: Hey random black dude, I was a huge supporter of the civil rights movement, like you.
    Bloke 2: Yeah, I went to around 10 marches, got arrested, the usual. How did you support us?
    Bloke 1: I....uh....watched it on TV and talked about it with my work colleagues.
    Bloke 1: ...

It's a harsh reality but one that most need to accept. The PL and La Liga and their supporters have become like WWF. Choose your faces and your heels and watch the pantomime. This forum and the United\Liverpool "dramas" are great examples of this.

I like United, but my experience of liking them isn't as meaningful as the dudes who grew up in the area and go to every game and dedicate huge portions of their lives to supporting them in the flesh. I'd feel a bit foolish suggesting that it was.
    I fully accept that people from the area and who follow the team religiously can be considered more hardcore fans but that is not what we're debating.

According to CSF, you cannot be a real fan unless you're from the area and attend the majority of games. It's ludicrous considering that only a very small percentage of each club's supporters fit this criteria and an even smaller percentage of those do so passionately. Yet he believes that any person who does not do so cannot consider themselves a real fan.

I said this to a few friends a couple of days ago and was roundly turned on so I assume it will qualify as an unpopular opinion. Sergio Busquets is the greatest holding midfielder in the history of football. All of the defensive qualities of Makelele, and physically more impressive, and the technique to match the greatest of La Masia graduates, along with having a reading and understanding of the sport that screams out in every single thing he does. As Del Bosque once said, he is a coach that plays. He is the perfect Barcelona player, the perfect holding midfielder who, at least on my lifetime, knows no equal.
    Sorry Andersonisgod, I'm too heavily invested in this fan debate to give your opinions the time and effort they need to be read, re-read and then disagreed with wholeheartedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I love Busquets as a player, and he's certainly the best in the world as of now. Of all time? Nah. Lothar Matthaus for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Sorry Andersonisgod, I'm too heavily invested in this fan debate to give your opinions the time and effort they need to be read, re-read and then disagreed with wholeheartedly.

That's probably a good thing, I couldn't believe how vehemently it was rebuffed when I brought it up. His achievements speak for themselves, his contributions to Barcelona and Spain are unquestionable, there is no weakness in his game and he is still only 25, the rise and rise of Sergio Busquets is astounding. While I don't expect universal agreement, afterall what do football fans, or football watchers/casual viewers/barstoolers or whatever other pigeonhole CSF is trying to shove everyone into at any given moment, wholeheartedly agree on? But I didn't expect such ferocious opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This world cup has shown that Messi isn't the greatest of all time.

Yes he has scored goals and popped up with flashes of brilliance, but thats just it, they were flashes rather than the sustained constant control of games.

Maradona completely dominated his tournament, Baggio in 94 dragged Italy kicking and screaming to the final, but you wouldn't have known Messi was on the field this weekend and for long stretches of most of his games.

Messi won't even be the player of this tournament never mind the greatest of all time.

What's hilarious is how you had such specific criteria for what you deemed to be a proper football fan. You can't possibly be a proper football fan unless you support your local team and attend all of the homes games but yet you're allowed have a second team if that suits. Give over.

I have absolutely no problem with somebody supporting Shelbourne and also supporting Villa in the Premiership. But it's fairly rich that somebody who does so could say that others aren't proper fans simply because they're following a team from a different country.

The first part of that post was not directed at you, only the part under where I quoted you.
    Was it even me who mentioned local team in here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Yes he has scored goals and popped up with flashes of brilliance, but thats just it, they were flashes rather than the sustained constant control of games.

Maradona completely dominated his tournament, Baggio in 94 dragged Italy kicking and screaming to the final, but you wouldn't have known Messi was on the field this weekend and for long stretches of most of his games.

Messi won't even be the player of this tournament never mind the greatest of all time.

What sort of bollocks is this? One tournament was never going to be the deciding factor. Messi isn't playing out of his skin but he is dragging Argentina through this tournament. He didn't score at the weekend but he played well again. He's been consistently dangerous every time he gets the ball and was the same yesterday. If Argentina win the World Cup he will be player of the tournament no doubt about it. Only J-Rod and Neymar can rival atm tbh and both their tournaments are over. Robben is playing well too but not as good as Messi.

But yeah the point being, this world cup isn't the be all and end all of Messi's legacy up there with the all time greats. He has played well and he has certainly proved a lot of people wrong about his ability with his performances at this World Cup even though he hasn't been his very best. He's dragging Argentina to the same extent if not more so than Maradona so give him some credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Lostman1990

Rijkaard, Keane, Vieria, and older liverpool fans will say Souness...to call him the greatest holding midfielder in the history of football might be stretching it at this stage.

What sort of bollocks is this?
    Sounds like an unpopular opinion to me, you think its in the wrong place?

this world cup isn't the be all and end all of Messi's legacy up there with the all time greats.

It won't be the "be all and end all" but in ten years time when people are debating who is the greatest player of all time people are going to remember Maradona single handedly winning the 86' world cup, not Messi just doing well at the 2014 world cup.

And Robben has been better than Messi at this tournament.

Rijkaard, Keane, Vieria, and older liverpool fans will say Souness...to call him the greatest holding midfielder in the history of football might be stretching it at this stage.

Rijkaard, Keane and Vieria would be insulted at being called just "holding" midfielders.

These guys used to be simply called midfielders, without any limitations or conditions attached, and Busquets isn't even the greatest midfielder on his team never mind of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Sounds like an unpopular opinion to me, you think its in the wrong place?

There's unpopular and there's completely absurd...

It won't be the "be all and end all" but in ten years time when people are debating who is the greatest player of all time people are going to remember Maradona single handedly winning the 86' world cup, not Messi just doing well at the 2014 world cup.

And Robben has been better than Messi at this tournament.

Maybe you should reserve your judgement after this World Cup ends then. Actually maybe after the next world cup too. Messi will be 31 then and could easily still be in his prime.

If Argentina win this World Cup, and if they do you can be damn sure Messi will play a central role, Messi will be held in the same light as Maradona at 86 if not more...may not have been as impressive but still ground breaking.

Messi's club achievements are arguably greater alone than Maradona's career as a whole... Garrincha outshined Pele at the World Cup but very few would have him ahead of Pele in an all time list...justifying why the World Cup is important but not instrumental. Frankly if Messi continues in any way similar to his current form for club for the next four or five years this World Cup will only be a gloss on his career as the greatest ever and may be relevant only to shut up stubborn haters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

There's unpopular and there's completely absurd...

Maybe you should reserve your judgement after this World Cup ends then. Actually maybe after the next world cup too. Messi will be 31 then and could easily still be in his prime.

If Argentina win this World Cup, and if they do you can be damn sure Messi will play a central role, Messi will be held in the same light as Maradona at 86 if not more...may not have been as impressive but still ground breaking.

Messi's club achievements are arguably greater alone than Maradona's career as a whole... Garrincha outshined Pele at the World Cup but very few would have him ahead of Pele in an all time list...justifying why the World Cup is important but not instrumental. Frankly if Messi continues in any way similar to his current form for club for the next four or five years this World Cup will only be a gloss on his career as the greatest ever and may be relevant only to shut up stubborn haters.

Agreed to an extent.

Maradona's success at Napoli, which was the hardest and best League in the world at the time, with a team that never won a league title before cannot be underestimated however.

Plus Maradona dragged Argentina to win a WC and then to a final in the very next WC - before he was 30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

My unpopular opinions:

- Fernando Torres is a far better all round footballer than he was 3-4 years ago, just has lost his goalscoring touch.

- Rangers arent a bunch of cúnts, and I dont feel the need to support Celtic because im Catholic.

- Aiden McGeady is Ireland's best player by a long way.

- Robbie Keane is an absolute legend and gets way too much criticism.

- Trappattoni's way of playing was right: we don't have the talent to play good football and beat the likes of Sweden and Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

My unpopular opinions:

- Fernando Torres is a far better all round footballer than he was 3-4 years ago, just has lost his goalscoring touch.

- Rangers arent a bunch of cúnts, and I dont feel the need to support Celtic because im Catholic.

- Aiden McGeady is Ireland's best player by a long way.

- Robbie Keane is an absolute legend and gets way too much criticism.

- Trappattoni's way of playing was right: we don't have the talent to play good football and beat the likes of Sweden and Germany.

We lose anyway so why not try and do it playing good football ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I dislike some LOI fans who shove down our throats how people are not real supporters cause they don't support their local club and go to the games. That's all well and good for them with their stands and match programs and forums to discuss the latest great player who may go to England. I support an actual local team in the AFL and go watch their games come rain or shine in St. Annes or wherever they are playing (And Im not working) but when I say I dont support a LOI team I am a barstooler.

So keep your heirs and graces to yourselves, maybe their is other people who think you are barstoolers to go watch the match with a pint with a bit of shelter.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I love Busquets as a player, and he's certainly the best in the world as of now. Of all time? Nah. Lothar Matthaus for one.

Redondo > Busquets as well, for me anyway. Out of the current bunch and over the last what, 5 years or so, Busquets has been head and shoulders above the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

marienbad wrote: »

No we dont lose anyway? We were actually fairly successful with Trap, got to a World Cup playoff that we were cheated out of by France. And qualified for the Euros. We would not have achieved that trying to go out and play good football against superior footballing sides that we played in them campaigns: Italy, Bulgaria (yes they were most definitely better than us), France and Russia.

Yeah we did poor in the Brazil World Cup qualification but thats such a stupid thing to say ... ''we lose anyway''

Awful attitude.

I think hindsight is going to show Trap's way of playing was dead right. I so so badly hope it doesnt and I hope we can qualify playing good football, but I think it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

That's probably a good thing, I couldn't believe how vehemently it was rebuffed when I brought it up. His achievements speak for themselves, his contributions to Barcelona and Spain are unquestionable, there is no weakness in his game and he is still only 25, the rise and rise of Sergio Busquets is astounding. While I don't expect universal agreement, afterall what do football fans, or football watchers/casual viewers/barstoolers or whatever other pigeonhole CSF is trying to shove everyone into at any given moment, wholeheartedly agree on? But I didn't expect such ferocious opposition.

the opposition probably stems from the fact that Busquets is amongst the most hated players in the game. He's a diving cheating playacting cnut on a semi regular basis.

in terms of the argument itself, i don't agree. other posters have listed players i'd consider superior, but i can see where you're coming from all the same.

marienbad wrote: »

Unbeaten in World Cup 2010 qualifying and lost one game on the way to qualifying for Euro 2012. Admittedly 2014 World Cup qualification was a bit of a disaster but for quite some time we had an excellent record of doing exactly the opposite of losing under Trapattoni.

1 competitive loss in 2 qualifying campaigns is an insanely good record, especially for a pot three team. In 2010, Ireland were the only pot three team alongside Italy, Netherlands, Spain and Germany (all pot one teams) to go unbeaten. In 2012, Ireland again were the only pot three team alongside Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Russia, France, England (all pot one teams), Denmark and Greece (both pot two teams) to lose one game or less.

An achievement that doesn't get enough praise IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

What if he scores 4 goals in the next 2 games to win the world cup. It's a nonsense argument anyway why should we judge someone on a tournament that will be between 3 and 7 games for all players. Throughout the world cup there are posters completely dismissing teams and players based on one game. When man city won the league last season they weren't impressive in every game and yaya didn't always play well. By your logic ronaldo can't be up to much due to 3 average games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

This is not unpopular in the strictest sense, maybe just a bit hare-brained but I would like to see it given a go at least in training to see how it pans out:

Generally speaking the wall at free kicks is not the most efficient use of bodies when used against free kick takers who 'place' the ball (think Beckham, Juninho Pernambucano etc) rather than blast it. And a combination of a smaller wall plus and two or three players standing in the goal assisting the keeper would lead to less frees being scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

SM01 wrote: »
    This is not unpopular in the strictest sense, maybe just a bit hare-brained but I would like to see it given a go at least in training to see how it pans out:

Generally speaking the wall at free kicks is not the most efficient use of bodies when used against free kick takers who 'place' the ball (think Beckham, Juninho Pernambucano etc) rather than blast it. And a combination of a smaller wall plus and two or three players standing in the goal assisting the keeper would lead to less frees being scored.

It would also allow the opposition players to crowd out your GK much like on corners, and would make the scramble after the FK alot more dangerous than an actual FK itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

The problem is that he will get player of the tournament though, while I acknowledge that he's scored important goals he's really done **** all otherwise. He hasn't been in most games apart from the tiny flashes.

*Conspiracy theory* FIFA are desperate for Messi to win a WC.
    Unpopular opinion: Messi will never be as good as what Ronaldo is right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You must have missed this

https://vine.co/v/MUQQmUiIFJu

Omackeral wrote: »
    You must have missed this

https://vine.co/v/MUQQmUiIFJu

Whats your point? Nobody denies that he has shown flashes of brilliance, but he simply has not completely dominated this tournament the way you would expect somebody with claims to being the Greatest Player of all time should do.

I am not saying Messi is not one of the best ever, but if he wanted to cement a place as the greatest ever he needed to completely dominate the tournament. Until he does that Maradona will remain the greatest player of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I am not saying Messi is not one of the best ever, but if he wanted to cement a place as the greatest ever he needed to completely dominate the tournament. Until he does that Maradona will remain the greatest player of all time.
    So basically you're judging players entire, 15-20 year careers on the basis of a month-long tournament.

Ok then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement