Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your unpopular footballing opinions Mod warnings - post#128

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Just saw this on a different site:

"Messi needs Xavi and Iniesta they said; Xavi and Iniesta need Messi they never said"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Just saw this on a different site:

"Messi needs Xavi and Iniesta they said; Xavi and Iniesta need Messi they never said"

2 European championships and a world cup might help to put that one where it belongs. Great players regardless of who any of them play with!

duffman13 wrote: »
    2 European championships and a world cup might help to put that one where it belongs. Great players regardless of who any of them play with!

Oh I agree whole heartedly, Iniesta and Xavi are staggering players and never needed Messi to show that although he certainly helped as was the case vice versa...clearly the quote is a dig at the Messi doubters/haters and fits in well with the destruction of the Spanish national team...thought it was kinda clever and funny myself though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Despite what the English media would have you believe, Ozil is one of the best players in the world. This is shown by his time at Real and his performances with Germany. One average season at Arsenal doesn't change that. I think he will be one of the players of the season in the EPL next year.

frimpong wrote: »
    Despite what the English media would have you believe, Ozil is one of the best players in the world. This is shown by his time at Real and his performances with Germany. One average season at Arsenal doesn't change that. I think he will be one of the players of the season in the EPL next year.

Pretty sure most avid supporters of the game wouldn't doubt that...but you are true in the fact that lots of people have memories like goldfish and tend to judge players whole heartedly based on one season, even one tournament in some cases

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ozils season has been well above average also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Better players deservedly get more criticism for not maintaining their quality.

He's been ****e in this world cup as well. He was halfway decent today but given the calibre of the opposition I'm not sure it does him any credit.

He's been coasting for a good while now. When he picks it up again he'll get the credit he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Gbear wrote: »

He's been ****e in this world cup as well. He was halfway decent today but given the calibre of the opposition I'm not sure it does him any credit.

He's been coasting for a good while now. When he picks it up again he'll get the credit he deserves.

Nonsense, he's created the most chances for Germany in this world cup and was in the top 3 for chances created overall going into the semi's as far as I remember. He's been very good this tournament and has played all the way up to the final. I read a lot of this forum and I'm really starting to think people here don't watch football, only read the back pages the day after.

I've never seen such criticism of a player who is playing well before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

If this Alexis Sanchez thing to Arsenal happens, then I'm not sure it will work out so brilliantly. He's a very good player, but I feel he's not exactly what Arsenal need. I think they would have been better off going for a proper out and out striker, in the RVP mould. He also took a while to get firing at Barcelona, I feel the same might happen at Arsenal. The last thing they need is another big name, big money signing not living up to their billing, thus putting more pressure on Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

dulux99 wrote: »
    If this Alexis Sanchez thing to Arsenal happens, then I'm not sure it will work out so brilliantly. He's a very good player, but I feel he's not exactly what Arsenal need. I think they would have been better off going for a proper out and out striker, in the RVP mould. He also took a while to get firing at Barcelona, I feel the same might happen at Arsenal. The last thing they need is another big name, big money signing not living up to their billing, thus putting more pressure on Wenger.

I think it's a fantastic signing. Very good player and exactly the kind of quality signing Arsene should've been going after for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

:pac:

We may call it a day on that disagreement :)

Here's another opinion I held all week that was more unpopular than I thought it'd be - Thiago Silva will be a bigger loss against Germany than Neymar and he is a better player.

Still think that holds true after tonights display.

Well it's easy to say that now :pac:

Gbear wrote: »

How has he been ****e. Very good tonight, brilliant against Portugal in the first game and decent in all the other games bar Algeria where he still got a goal

Well it's easy to say that now :pac:

3 days ago, World Cup thread:
    Thiago Silva is a bigger loss than Neymar imo.

;)

I've always thought that Thiago Silva is a more influential player for Brazil than Neymar. Not only is he the their captain, he's the player everyone else looks to to settle the team down during pressure situations.

Defensive players never get the credit that attacking players do. Silva is Brazil's best player and the best CB in world football imo.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

(I've not read the thread since last night and had this started before heading out, and posting it, so I am maybe echoing opinions already I just want to stress)

This, what you typed above is what the vast majority of Arsenal fans seem to genuinely believe from my experience, and it's incredible.

Ozil has been largely disappointing for the international team. Native Germans have said it. German pundits, papers, TV, genuine knowledgeable people on all things regarding the national team have said it, but yet, according to many Arsenal fans here and undoubtedly elsewhere, they themselves call refer to these people as agenda driven and clueless.

Ozil for the first couple/few months of the season in the league deserved all the credit in the world and guess what, he frickin' got it. He played every bit of the fee he went for.

Ozil in World Cup 2010 was incredible and deserved all the credit in the world and guess what, he frickin' got it.

I've been a fan of Ozil going back to his Werder Bremen days, but I don't bury my head in the sand. He was ALWAYS a player that went missing for large spells of games, especially after the hour mark back then.

As for this World Cup? He's been okay. Nothing more or less in his overall performances. Retained possession, created a good few chances, but.. I expect MORE! So far this World Cup, he's been a 6 out of 10 when looking at the entire German team.

Before his goal against Algeria in extra time he had been largely anonymous. Raphael Honigstein, a well respected Bundesliga/German reported and fan of Ozil said himself that too. Yet, look at the match thread. Arsenal fans were making out Ozil was good to very good throughout the game and claiming everyone else who disagreed is agenda driven. Again, it took basically the final minute of extra time for him to do something of note to remotely justify the praise from Arsenal fans in the thread at the time which was my point beforehand. I was taking stock of match threads, decided to not say anything for many games, but finally had to speak up

For a player of his fee worth, you expect a player to be able to take games by the scruff of the neck and lead by example. Arsenal fans will reference injuries (I might bring that up in a different post as it's gone past the stage of being an excuse for me when it's so regular), blah, blah, blah, there was still enough quality to see you through to fourth spot and win a cup, and yet, he was largely quiet when the team really needed him to step up.

If a player earns praise, he gets it as far as I am concerned. I thought Mertesacker was a poor signing given what I had seen of him in the Bundesliga in his final couple of years, he proved me wrong and I was big enough to admit it. Arsenal fans like to think it's merely people picking on him because he's an Arsenal player. Spare me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    (I've not read the thread since last night and had this started before heading out, and posting it, so I am maybe echoing opinions already I just want to stress)

This, what you typed above is what the vast majority of Arsenal fans seem to genuinely believe from my experience, and it's incredible.

Ozil has been largely disappointing for the international team. Native Germans have said it. German pundits, papers, TV, genuine knowledgeable people on all things regarding the national team have said it, but yet, according to many Arsenal fans here and undoubtedly elsewhere, they themselves call refer to these people as agenda driven and clueless.

Ozil for the first couple/few months of the season in the league deserved all the credit in the world and guess what, he frickin' got it. He played every bit of the fee he went for.

Ozil in World Cup 2010 was incredible and deserved all the credit in the world and guess what, he frickin' got it.

I've been a fan of Ozil going back to his Werder Bremen days, but I don't bury my head in the sand. He was ALWAYS a player that went missing for large spells of games, especially after the hour mark back then.

As for this World Cup? He's been okay. Nothing more or less in his overall performances. Retained possession, created a good few chances, but.. I expect MORE! So far this World Cup, he's been a 6 out of 10 when looking at the entire German team.

Before his goal against Algeria in extra time he had been largely anonymous. Raphael Honigstein, a well respected Bundesliga/German reported and fan of Ozil said himself that too. Yet, look at the match thread. Arsenal fans were making out Ozil was good to very good throughout the game and claiming everyone else who disagreed is agenda driven. Again, it took basically the final minute of extra time for him to do something of note to remotely justify the praise from Arsenal fans in the thread at the time which was my point beforehand. I was taking stock of match threads, decided to not say anything for many games, but finally had to speak up

For a player of his fee worth, you expect a player to be able to take games by the scruff of the neck and lead by example. Arsenal fans will reference injuries (I might bring that up in a different post as it's gone past the stage of being an excuse for me when it's so regular), blah, blah, blah, there was still enough quality to see you through to fourth spot and win a cup, and yet, he was largely quiet when the team really needed him to step up.

If a player earns praise, he gets it as far as I am concerned. I thought Mertesacker was a poor signing given what I had seen of him in the Bundesliga in his final couple of years, he proved me wrong and I was big enough to admit it. Arsenal fans like to think it's merely people picking on him because he's an Arsenal player. Spare me.

all I have to say is Liverpool fan and you guys would take him in a flash. He had a fine season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

While I agree with a lot of what you said, I still think you're wrong about a few things.

Ozil had been called average and has been called out quite often by plenty of the media and people here. For me he is being singled out not because he's an Arsenal player, but mainly because he cost an awful lot. Yet for all the stick he gets he had an extremely similar season to David Silva.. A player who's had plenty of praise and par 2 extra goals had practically identical stats all while playing beside better players.

His form for Germany has been Ok but not nearly as bad as some very silly people would have you think. He's playing in a team that really isn't suited to his style.
    He has Howedes at LB.. A player who rarely ever makes runs down the line.
    Kroos in the middle who doesn't really ever make runs and instead likes to stay centre, and Klose up top who's to slow which makes it very difficult for anyone to pass to him.

Either Way I think the criticism of Ozil had been way over the top, all while players like Hazard,the entire Spain team and plenty of others aren't even mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

There is 100% a player agenda, a lot of what you say is fair but from an Arsenal perspective he has had a good first season chipped in with his fair share of goals and assists and general play but would like to see more next year.

If there isnt a player agenda why have other players who have gone for similiar fees not being called out, there have been plenty of them, Ozil is comfortably in the performing well could do better category others have been awful.

The reason for it? Arsenal haven't spent big in years and people want it to flop hence the over attention to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I stopped reading there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

*snip snip snip*

You're not wrong there. He hasn't had the world beater of a season that some of us hoped, and while in many ways it's been a great season, the price tag dictates a bit more.

What you're seeing from us Arsenal fans is a backlash to the criticism because by and large it's inflammatory.

Ozil got his own write up today in the daily mail. THAT'S what they felt was important from the game last night. Forget Luiz, Ramieres, Paulinho, Fernandinho - Ozil the Arsenal player stunk the place out again.

If you don't think there's an anti Arsenal bias in that, then I'd also question why the Liverpool thread is where most of the slagging of Ozil happens. Not that I'm saying some of it isn't warranted but it's also the club that Arsenal have had poorest relations with over the last year.

Her's another Daily mail article...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2370099/Former-Manchester-United-ace-Juan-Sebastian-Veron-comes-retirement-gives-wages-junior-team.html

Yes that's 'former manchester united ace' Veron

Edited to include: sorry, I hope this isn't perceived as cross thread baiting. I'm nt trying to wind up Liverpool fans, I'm simply saying that I think a lot of the criticism of Ozil is from people close to teams in direct competition with Arsenal.

I think the sensible point of view to take is that as Nuri says, Ozil is scoring a 6 or 7 out of 10 on his performances. Rival fans are saying 'Ozil is sh1t', Arsenal fans are saying 'no he's amazing', and the truth as always is somewhere in the middle. Decent solid performances but underwhelming for someone who's supposed to be one of the world's best in his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I reckon this may be as unpopular an opinion as you'll get on here but if Walcott stays fit Arsenal don't need Sanchez.

They're very similar in their strengths and weaknesses. Walcott's weaknesses more emphasized because of our exposure to British media.

Sanchez maybe the slightly better of the 2.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

here's my unpopular opinion - Buying great players is good for the team.

The way some people would have you believe, there's no point in buying top talent as their going to disappoint you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

On the german media, I'll have to take your word for that. All of seen is that one Honigstein tweet you keep going on about where he said he was anonymous in one match, and that ridiculous rant from Breitner the other day. I'm sure there is a wide variety of opinions though. The manager still thinks he's the man for the job anyway.

Ozil's performances weren't all that different at the start of the season to at the end when he came back from injury. For some reason the tide turned on him after christmas. He may have played a bit better at the start but not as much as you seem to suggest.

If you are as big a big fan of Ozil as you say, then you would know that that is exactly the sort of player he is. He retains possession, moves the ball around, creates space and creates chances. Now I agree that he hasn't been exceptional in the world cup but you can't expect him to be a different player than he is and grab the game by the scuff of the neck as you say, especially playing out of his best position. He's not going to dribble passed everyone and score screamers but he always creates chances.

With reference to the run in with arsenal and injuries. The big injury problem (apart from his own) was Walcotts. Without Walcott, there was no real pace in the team and Ozil is more effective when he has players like this to pass to. He was quiet in some games in the run in yes but why doesn't anyone ever mention the likes of his motm performance against Everton in the FA cup quarter final?

The issue a lot of arsenal fans have is the incessant barrage of criticism he gets no matter how he plays. It's a reason why you may see some overly complementary post from Arsenal fans in match threads, it's a reaction to these incessant disparaging comments. He plays well and his team wins 7-1 and because he misses a chance you get a barrage of 'overrated/crap/waster' comments and articles in the rags slating him and feeding the narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I realise this will sound tired and old to some, but it is daft to see a bunch of Irish football fans whose views on a German footballer are biased by which English football club he plays for. Or is that just modern life.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I realise this will sound tired and old to some, but it is daft to see a bunch of Irish football fans whose views on a German footballer are biased by which English football club he plays for. Or is that just modern life.

Nope, that's just football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Nope, that's just football.

Modern football, if you will.

Tombo2001 wrote: »

The global village - get with it!!

drumswan wrote: »

Fair point.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Looper007 wrote: »
    all I have to say is Liverpool fan and you guys would take him in a flash. He had a fine season.

I've never said I wouldn't, but at the same time, had he signed for Liverpool and put in the performances he has done so far in this World Cup, I wouldn't be trying to to make out he's been doing very good neither which was my point in the Algeria thread. I especially wouldn't be calling actual Germans fans and pundits alike clueless neither. For someone of his ability, he's been bordering on underwhelming for large spells for. Just compare to his performances in 2010.

Maybe I (or Germans) have too high expectations of him? Who knows.

(I'll reply to the rest later as I need some lunch now, I just scrolled up and saw a few responses to my post and the first response which was short as I replied too.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I don't know why everyone hates Nicklas Bendtner so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

keane2097 wrote: »

I agree, he's wasted some time and been a silly boy but he's got ability and for a mid to lower table team he could be the man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

drumswan wrote: »

Soccer, if you will

Did RVP have a stinker against Costa Rica?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

gosplan wrote: »

Yep, missed a couple of chances you would expect him to slot away with ease. Didn't look himself at all in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

8-10 wrote: »
    Soccer, if you will

De **** is soccer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

De **** is soccer?

Think you're in the wrong forum...

• Advertisement

To put it mildly. I thought he was absolutely atrocious. Was caught offside at least 5 times in situations where there was no reason to be offside (looking down the line of defenders but still 2 yards off). He missed a few crucial chances as well but more importantly his build up play was awful and several times the Dutch attacking play broke down with him. Surprised he didn't get more criticism tbh because he really was desperate.

Hope he picks himself up tonight, he's a danger in front of goal when he's in the mood.

To put it mildly. I thought he was absolutely atrocious. Was caught offside at least 5 times in situations where there was no reason to be offside (looking down the line of defenders but still 2 yards off). He missed a few crucial chances as well but more importantly his build up play was awful and several times the Dutch attacking play broke down with him. Surprised he didn't get more criticism tbh because he really was desperate.

Hope he picks himself up tonight, he's a danger in front of goal when he's in the mood.

Going by this I'll expect him to get a feature in the Daily Mail tomorrow :pac:

Going by this I'll expect him to get a feature in the Daily Mail tomorrow :pac:

I don't read the DM so I'm not sure what you mean tbh :o

Has been very poor again tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd agree with that. He's not good enough for the top level but I think he showed enough at Sunderland to indicate he's more than capable at a side with aims of challenging for the mid-table spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It's just his face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

The global village - get with it!!

More like barstooling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Footballers and football in general has declined massively in quality in the last 10-15 years. Examine the line ups from Arg v Holland from the 98 World Cup 1/4 final and compare it with tonights game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_FIFA_World_Cup_knockout_stage#Netherlands_vs_Argentina

Only Robben and Messi would be necessary to make either of those sides better.

Messi was better in the world cup in 2010

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Footballers and football in general has declined massively in quality in the last 10-15 years. Examine the line ups from Arg v Holland from the 98 World Cup 1/4 final and compare it with tonights game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_FIFA_World_Cup_knockout_stage#Netherlands_vs_Argentina

Only Robben and Messi would be necessary to make either of those sides better.

The quality on show in the Champions League has certainly improved do you not think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

Van gaal is nothing at all like this so-called big time tactical genius that some certain press/tv and others make out he his.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

George Best is completely overrated

The quality on show in the Champions League has certainly improved do you not think?

Lots of poor teams in the Champions League. Not much quality out of the Eastern European teams. Usual suspects mostly around April/May. When was the last really memorable final? Would Real Madrid '14 beat Real Madrid '02?

Lots of poor teams in the Champions League. Not much quality out of the Eastern European teams. Usual suspects mostly around April/May. When was the last really memorable final? Would Real Madrid '14 beat Real Madrid '02?

All very valid points but I feel the quality of the teams has increased but then it's almost impossible to gauge that.

All 8 teams in the QF's this year were full of quality players, but yeah I can see where you're coming from :)

All very valid points but I feel the quality of the teams has increased but then it's almost impossible to gauge that.

All 8 teams in the QF's this year were full of quality players, but yeah I can see where you're coming from :)

The top teams with all the money yes, the rest..no. Every year seems to throw a new team into the mix ie Atletico Dortmund etc but they just get picked over by the big teams in there league and never reaaly make the breakthrough. Which leads to my next point.... Money will destroy football completely at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

The top teams with all the money yes, the rest..no. Every year seems to throw a new team into the mix ie Atletico Dortmund etc but they just get picked over by the big teams in there league and never reaaly make the breakthrough. Which leads to my next point.... Money will destroy football completely at some stage.

Never ever happen, Rich clubs get richer day by day.

Sugar daddies buy clubs and make them super rich.

Sky/Bt sport pay Billions to english teams,
    La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga make millions (But top teams get much more than the rest)
    And then you have French, Russian teams who are super rich. (sugar daddies)

If the worst comes to the worst, A european superleague would happen.
    Which would be worth Billions and Billions.

Money will never destroy Football, As there is to much of it to be made in football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement