Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your unpopular footballing opinions Mod warnings - post#128

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

People who get pissy over the use of the word "soccer" over "football" should grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

People who take a dislike to a team (Brazil) and then go about criticising everyone involved from the fans, players, management, media in some sort of rubbing hands with glee way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The Internet had led to massive overhyping of emerging players.

The majority of people saying 'X will be world class' have probably never watched 90 mins of the player in domestic football.

Basically any emerging player that has half a good season somewhere is proclaimed by all the ITK jerks to be a future great. Fast forward 2 years and the player is mediocre or good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

gosplan wrote: »
    The Internet had led to massive overhyping of emerging players.

The majority of people saying 'X will be world class' have probably never watched 90 mins of the player in domestic football.

Basically any emerging player that has half a good season somewhere is proclaimed by all the ITK jerks to be a future great. Fast forward 2 years and the player is mediocre or good.

Agree. If some of the people on here watch even half the amount of football they allude to, they wouldn't have time to piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd agree with that. He's not good enough for the top level but I think he showed enough at Sunderland to indicate he's more than capable at a side with aims of challenging for the mid-table spots.
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    It's just his face.

I just think he's pure Hollywood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

gosplan wrote: »
    Going by this I'll expect him to get a feature in the Daily Mail tomorrow :pac:

Nah, they are doing a two-page special on how poor Ozil was in the Netherlands/Argentina game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

90% of people you speak to in every day life haven't got a clue about football, and couldn't form an original opinion if their life depended on it. Friends, relatives, brothers, work mates, etc. In my experience anyway, the amount of coverage of football these days has infested peoples brains, and they only spout out 'opinions' based on what they hear pundits say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

dulux99 wrote: »
    90% of people you speak to in every day life haven't got a clue about football, and couldn't form an original opinion if their life depended on it. Friends, relatives, brothers, work mates, etc. In my experience anyway, the amount of coverage of football these days has infested peoples brains, and they only spout out 'opinions' based on what they hear pundits say.

I'd like to think I form my own opinion but the reality is if you hear someone say something that you agree with, it then becomes your opinion anyway. I don't see anything wrong with being led to an opinion by somebody else and then passing it off as your own if that's what you truly believe.

Obviously it's a different story if you're just mouthing off any auld sh*te you pick up along the way.

I'd like to think I form my own opinion but the reality is if you hear someone say something that you agree with, it then becomes your opinion anyway. I don't see anything wrong with being led to an opinion by somebody else and then passing it off as your own if that's what you truly believe.

Obviously it's a different story if you're just mouthing off any auld sh*te you pick up along the way.

Yeah that's fine obviously, but I'm talking about people who never have something original to say, and sound like a generic BBC pundit all day. They annoy me highly. I have far too many friends like that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Only proper way to watch football is in the pub with a lovely pint and a kick ass 60 inch TV.
    You get to see everything instead of been stuck at the game where you miss 95% of what is going on.
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

dulux99 wrote: »
    Yeah that's fine obviously, but I'm talking about people who never have something original to say, and sound like a generic BBC pundit all day. They annoy me highly. I have far too many friends like that :pac:

At the end of the day, it's all about pace, movement and desire. Getting the ball forward quickly through incisive passing has been key to their success. While there are no easy games in international football, it has been an incredible journey for them to progress this far. I have been saying for years that they are hard to beat and you should never write them off. With that lad up front, who for a big lad, is always good with his feet, on paper they have every chance. If they can set their stall out early, and avoid getting dragged into end-to-end stuff, this could be a great game. Off the field too, they are nice lads. The last game was a game of two halves and it could have gone either way but this time out I expect them to push on and do the business. But don't forget, it's a funny old game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Only proper way to watch football is in the pub with a lovely pint and a kick ass 60 inch TV.
    You get to see everything instead of been stuck at the game where you miss 95% of what is going on.

Seriously!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If not at the game you are far better off watching it at home if you really want to appreciate what is going on

If not at the game you are far better off watching it at home if you really want to appreciate what is going on

True but I don't have a 60 inch HD TV.:mad:

Harry Redknapp is an absolute cretin, and the protection he gets from the English press is nothing short of embarrassing. Not even sure if that's an unpopular opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Harry Redknapp is one of the good guys in football and a man of the people.

That is my unpopular opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

I'm going to assume you're 12 and have never actually been to a live match in a stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

MarkSRFC21 wrote: »
    I'm going to assume you're 12 and have never actually been to a live match in a stadium

He's hardly 12 and drinking in a pub now, come on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Footballers and football in general has declined massively in quality in the last 10-15 years. Examine the line ups from Arg v Holland from the 98 World Cup 1/4 final and compare it with tonights game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_FIFA_World_Cup_knockout_stage#Netherlands_vs_Argentina

Only Robben and Messi would be necessary to make either of those sides better.
    Time heightens many legacies. Arguably the geographical spread of good players is wider than it was 15 years ago though.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    He's hardly 12 and drinking in a pub now, come on!

Fair enough but he definitely hasn't been to a live match

• Advertisement

I'd like to assume this is just a tongue in cheek joke, but I'm really unsure that it is...

CSF wrote: »
    I'd like to assume this is just a tongue in cheek joke, but I'm really unsure that it is...

Sad really that this is the attitude of most Irish "fans"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

keane2097 wrote: »
    I just think he's pure Hollywood.

Showbiz baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion of not but it is something I have found to be true.

Unless you have been to loads of live matches starting out , be in Football,Rugby,Gaa, you can never really appreciate games on tv as you will never truly understand space, off the ball positioning etc .

I brought a few teenagers to their first ever game in the Aviva last year , avid fans ever one, and yet they were stunned how small the pitch was ?

marienbad wrote: »
    I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion of not but it is something I have found to be true.

Unless you have been to loads of live matches starting out , be in Football,Rugby,Gaa, you can never really appreciate games on tv as you will never truly understand space, off the ball positioning etc .

I brought a few teenagers to their first ever game in the Aviva last year , avid fans ever one, and yet they were stunned how small the pitch was ?

Probably not that avid so

In a stadium , No never ,my local team can only dream of such luxuries , let me quess your a fan of one of those big rich clubs like Sligo ,Shamrock Rovers etc etc ,...

Must be easy to be a fan when you are getting spoiled ,bet you even have seats....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Godge wrote: »
    At the end of the day, it's all about pace, movement and desire. Getting the ball forward quickly through incisive passing has been key to their success. While there are no easy games in international football, it has been an incredible journey for them to progress this far. I have been saying for years that they are hard to beat and you should never write them off. With that lad up front, who for a big lad, is always good with his feet, on paper they have every chance. If they can set their stall out early, and avoid getting dragged into end-to-end stuff, this could be a great game. Off the field too, they are nice lads. The last game was a game of two halves and it could have gone either way but this time out I expect them to push on and do the business. But don't forget, it's a funny old game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P7CgKvhpoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

I think that being an ex-player etc. only increase the value of that persons opinion of team scenarios such as the atmosphere at major tournaments and what goes on in the background and at training etc. It doesn't make that person's opinion of current players and current team form any more valuable than yours or mine.

Listening to the boys on RTE or UTV stringing together generic statements about players and teams they don't know is irritating.

In a stadium , No never ,my local team can only dream of such luxuries , let me quess your a fan of one of those big rich clubs like Sligo ,Shamrock Rovers etc etc ,...

Must be easy to be a fan when you are getting spoiled ,bet you even have seats....

What team do you "support" then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think people should support who they like, be it LOI or whatever.

I will state this even as a LOI fan that most LOI supporters dont support their local club including most on here I bet, cause if they did no club would have more then couple hundred peolle at games and more local league teams would have suppporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Probably not that avid so

You would be surprised how many young kids and teens in Ireland today have never seen the inside of a proper ground. I am not talking about something like Croke or Semple or Lansdowne either .

marienbad wrote: »
    You would be surprised how many young kids and teens in Ireland today have never seen the inside of a proper ground. I am not talking about something like Croke or Semple or Lansdowne either .

Sadly very true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

You remind me of the genius that gave out stink about a manager of a club that went to see a team his side were playing the following week, when it was on the box.

Anyone who thinks they pick up more on tv is talking out their rear end.
    Stuck at the game

I don't even...
    you miss 95% of what is going on.

Just because you do, doesn't mean anyone else does.

You probably need Martin Tyler/Gary Neville etc.. to tell you the missing 95 percent as you clearly know nothing about football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

You remind me of the genius that gave out stink about a manager of a club that went to see a team his side were playing the following week, when it was on the box.
    lol, what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

The RSC doesn't have seats?

TINA1984 wrote: »
    The RSC doesn't have seats?

He's probably going to tell you that there's a team even nearer and why shouldn't he support them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

LOI fans vs 'Barstollers' is as enjoyable to read as the Utd vs Liverpool stuff and the Turtyturd vs Arsenal stuff.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    LOI fans vs 'Barstollers' is as enjoyable to read as the Utd vs Liverpool stuff and the Turtyturd vs Arsenal stuff.

Liverpool vs utd is really barstoolers vs barstoolers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Liverpool vs utd is really barstoolers vs barstoolers

Have you at any point ever watched a match in a pub?

Fescue wrote: »
    Have you at any point ever watched a match in a pub?

Once or twice but I much prefer live football why

Once or twice but I much prefer live football why

Just wondering.

Just wondering.

Do u support Loi or are you a barstooler

Do u support Loi or are you a barstooler

Mostly I just watch football at home on the TV. What do you call someone who does that?

Mostly I just watch football at home on the TV. What do you call someone who does that?

Barstooler

• Advertisement

Barstooler

Do you watch football at home on the TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Barstooler
    I don't have a barstool at home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Paj

I don't have a barstool at home :(

I've a couple of high stools in my kitchen but I sit on the couch mostly. Occasionally I watch in a bar. I go to London a few times a year to watch too. I'm multi talented.

One time I even watched a match lying in bed. Not in a sexy way though you understand.

I often wonder are Barstoolers fans of alcohol who enhance their drinking experience with football or fans of football who enhance their football watching with alcohol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

There really should be a LOI v Barstoolers Superthread

• Advertisement
Advertisement