Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your unpopular footballing opinions Mod warnings - post#128

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

1 Ireland are terrible, we are almost as delusional as England, we won't quality for Euro 2016 and shouldn't even consider that we have a big change of doing so, all our players are championship level or old. We shouldn't expect to quality either we are a tiny population and a country were football has to compete with GAA, Rugby ect for athletes, the fact we think failure to quality is a poor showing us unfair to quality is an amazing achievement for us.

2 Edison Cavani is vastly overrated one of the best strikers in the world my arse.

3 Diego Godin is a better CB then Kompany

4 If Falcao wasn't injured Colombia would win the world cup they may still but i think will just fall short.

5 The fact players get paid to play for their country is disgusting, dislike for a manager or team mates is not an excuse for playing badly you should rise above it and play for your country nobody else.

6 The English PL is a hell of a lot wrong with football La Liga is better.

7 Raul was one of the greatest strikers ever.

8 Michael Owen was better then Rooney and were it not for injuries would have gone on to achieve far more.

9 Maradona doping throws his career into a massive shadow i rate Messi, Ronaldo, Pele, Zidane ect all above him because they never cheated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

1 Ireland are terrible, we are almost as delusional as England, we won't quality for Euro 2016 and shouldn't even consider that we have a big change of doing so, all our players are championship level or old. We shouldn't expect to quality either we are a tiny population and a country were football has to compete with GAA, Rugby ect for athletes, the fact we think failure to quality is a poor showing us unfair to quality is an amazing achievement for us.

2 Edison Cavani is vastly overrated one of the best strikers in the world my arse.

3 Diego Godin is a better CB then Kompany

4 If Falcao wasn't injured Colombia would win the world cup they may still but i think will just fall short.

5 The fact players get paid to play for their country is disgusting, dislike for a manager or team mates is not an excuse for playing badly you should rise above it and play for your country nobody else.

7 Raul was one of the greatest strikers ever.

8 Michael Owen was better then Rooney and were it not for injuries would have gone on to achieve far more.

9 Maradona doping throws his career into a massive shadow i rate Messi, Ronaldo, Pele, Zidane ect all above him because they never cheated.

1. Agree

2. Completely Disagree - His 78 goals in 104 games for Napoli between 2010-11 and 2012-13 was a remarkable achievement (104 in 138 games overall) and his work-rate to go with it was outstanding. Different player altogether with Uruguay where he is played out of position in a different formation. Just needs one more season in Naples to overtake Maradona as Napoli's all time top scorer.

3. Debatable - I'd rate both in the top 5 CB's in world football.

4. Agree - I think he could have given them the edge they needed to go all the way.

5. Agree - What happened with both Cameroon and Ghana was embarrassing.

6. Agree - I cringe every time I hear an English pundit call it "the best league in the world. Most exciting, probably.

7. Agree - Fantastic player.

8. No comment Wasn't old enough to fully appreciate the game during Owen's best years.

9. Agree - Still up there with the best but it is definitely a black mark on his record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Fair enough about the PL having many things wrong with it, but La Liga? Have a look at TV money distribution, now that's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

7. Agree - Fantastic player.

8. No comment Wasn't old enough to fully appreciate the game during Owen's best years.

If you weren't old enough to see Owen's best years then you definitely aren't old enough to know if Raul was one of the best strikers ever or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sandraevra

Manchester United will again, finish outside the top 5 and van gaal and van persie will have a major fallen out..after Giggs has affairs with both wifes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Ronaldo isn't that talented as a footballer,if it had have been 20 years ago he would have been a mediocre player at best.

The only reason he scores so much is because they made the ball so light its like a beach ball and it wobbles all over the place,so many of his goals come from hitting the ball hard from distance and it wobbles and deceives the keeper.

People will counter its the same for everyone,true but everyone doesnt play for real madrid who generally have a lot of possession,and he is the greediest of players so with the light ball and a greedy player who shoots a lot he will get a lot of goals.

Also i want to throw in that Ronaldo while i applaud his drive and determination which seems unmatched,he scores an awful lot of his goals when games are over and adds them to his record,a la champions league final,when he done nothing the whole match,then when athletico was dejected with game over then finally Ronaldo does something,because he couldn't seem to do it before they had given up.

Frank Lampard falls into the light ball category too look at his goal record,it says he is the best english midfielder almost ever,which he is nowhere near,but just benefits from the beach ball Sepp Blatter brought in to make more goals,Lampard who plays for chelsea who also have a lot of the ball and he who is the one constantly shooting.

Generally Sepps beach ball will give greedy players who shoot with power a lot an abnormal amount of goals compared to anyone in the past,which is why Ronaldo should never be compared to Messi who is a genuine legend who always strokes the ball into the net and doesn't whack it and hope it moves one direction or the other to deceive the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

amkin25 wrote: »
    Ronaldo isn't that talented as a footballer,if it had have been 20 years ago he would have been a mediocre player at best.

The only reason he scores so much is because they made the ball so light its like a beach ball and it wobbles all over the place,so many of his goals come from hitting the ball hard from distance and it wobbles and deceives the keeper.

People will counter its the same for everyone,true but everyone doesnt play for real madrid who generally have a lot of possession,and he is the greediest of players so with the light ball and a greedy player who shoots a lot he will get a lot of goals.

Also i want to throw in that Ronaldo while i applaud his drive and determination which seems unmatched,he scores an awful lot of his goals when games are over and adds them to his record,a la champions league final,when he done nothing the whole match,then when athletico was dejected with game over then finally Ronaldo does something,because he couldn't seem to do it before they had given up.

Frank Lampard falls into the light ball category too look at his goal record,it says he is the best english midfielder almost ever,which he is nowhere near,but just benefits from the beach ball Sepp Blatter brought in to make more goals,Lampard who plays for chelsea who also have a lot of the ball and he who is the one constantly shooting.

Generally Sepps beach ball will give greedy players who shoot with power a lot an abnormal amount of goals compared to anyone in the past,which is why Ronaldo should never be compared to Messi who is a genuine legend who always strokes the ball into the net and doesn't whack it and hope it moves one direction or the other to deceive the keeper.

Think you mixed up unpopular and stupid in the thread title.

Liam O wrote: »
    Think you mixed up unpopular and stupid in the thread title.

Get lost muppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Ronaldo is only good because the ball is lighter then before? :confused: Are you actually keeping a straight face typing that?

My unpopular opinion is I think AVB would have been a great success at Chelsea had he been given more time.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Ronaldo is only good because the ball is lighter then before? :confused: Are you actually keeping a straight face typing that?

My unpopular opinion is I think AVB would have been a great success at Chelsea had he been given more time.

Obviously we are now seeing how unpopular it is but you would be surprised how close that is to the truth.

• Advertisement

Get lost muppet.

It's great having you guys around.

Also shouldn't Messi be on your beach ball list given he plays with a team who has more of the ball than Real and Chelsea, probably combined?

It's great having you guys around.

Also shouldn't Messi be on your beach ball list given he plays with a team who has more of the ball than Real and Chelsea, probably combined.

I actually addressed messi as why he isnt on it,if you want to believe the light ball has nothing to do with the goal records being obliterated in modern times then go ahead.

If you want to believe Frank Lampard is one of the greatest midfielders of all time per his goal record go ahead,but i actually have been watching football long before he came on the scene and i guarantee you he is nowhere near the top of that list.

But people want to believe everyone now is the greatest makes it more popular,but some people know better just not yourself obviously.

I actually addressed messi as why he isnt on it,if you want to believe the light ball has nothing to do with the goal records being obliterated in modern times then go ahead.

If you want to believe Frank Lampard is one of the greatest midfielders of all time per his goal record go ahead,but i actually have been watching football long before he came on the scene and i guarantee you he is nowhere near the top of that list.

But people want to believe everyone now is the greatest makes it more popular,but some people know better just not yourself obviously.

I bow down to your infinite wisdom, just let it be known that your post remains stupid but I won't debate it further on this thread. The onky thing you got right was praising Messi. Shame you went the 'but these people who've won everything aren't that good' route to do it.

I bow down to your infinite wisdom, just let it be known that your post remains stupid but I won't debate it further on this thread. The onky thing you got right was praising Messi. Shame you went the 'but these people who've won everything aren't that good' route to do it.

Because you disagree with something its stupid,obviously a Lampard nuthugger ,did i upset you saying something about the great,i scored more deflections than anyone else,i hold the record for more shots at a world cup without scoring ever Frank lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Sorry, but the argument about the lightness of the ball being central to Ronaldo's goal scoring is compete and utter nonsense.. I actually laughed reading that its so ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The standard of referees in LOI is the biggest impediment in attracting more spectators to the game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

oldyouth wrote: »
    The standard of referees in LOI is the biggest impediment in attracting more spectators to the game

The standard of refereeing at the current World Cup is atrocious, it's still the greatest World Cup I've watched in many a year. If the football is exciting, people will watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Brazil will win the world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Refereeing in this WC is great.
    Cant get enough of the bewildered faces of the obvious divers when they are told to get on with things by the refs.

European football:
    Go back to knock out rounds only.
    The charm of Feyenoord winning a European cup after eliminating Freiburg, Rangers (when they were rich), PSV, Inter Milan, and Dortmund will always win it from 6 group matches against some dubious financed teams from Eastern Europe and get kicked out of the cup by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

My word. I know this is the "have an opinion that you can't be attacked for" but...

I wish they'd impose a law that you have to pass a test and get a license to post on the internet. This is either comic genius or incredible stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Never mind Spain and England, the best league in the world if you're a football fan going to games is the German Bundesliga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This is perhaps the dumbest thing I have ever read, seen, or heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The league of Ireland should be disbanded. The fai then should adopt a provincial system like in Rugby union. They should then look to join up with the Scottish premier league.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Suarez is the most entertaining player in world football by a country mile and the WC would have been marginally better if he hadn't been banned.

Pirlo went from being chronically underrated in the mid 2000s to chronically overrated in the last few years.

Vidal is the best out and out CM in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Zico wrote: »
    Most people on this board have never played a 90 minute 11-a-side game with a referee and linesmen but have never considered that fact until reading this.

Ding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

DeanAustin wrote: »
    My word. I know this is the "have an opinion that you can't be attacked for" but...

I wish they'd impose a law that you have to pass a test and get a license to post on the internet. This is either comic genius or incredible stupidity.
    This is perhaps the dumbest thing I have ever read, seen, or heard.
    Davei141 wrote: »

Mod Post: If posters are unable to articulate why they disagree with a post, then say nothing at all. Any more of this kind of obvious ganging up on a poster will result in warnings and/or infractions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If CRonaldo had been around 20 years ago Portugal would have won a World Cup and European Championships by 2002.

Also, it is physically impossible for a human being to simultaneously watch two players running at speed in opposite directions as well as a third playing the ball through and say with any degree of accuracy who was where at the exact point the ball was kicked. Offside is a lottery and a farce and should be managed by machines or, at the very least, an official with a monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I think people are critically misundertsanding the difference between an unpopular opinion and a not-so-popular opinion.

For example:

Unpopular opinion: Surarez's bite deserved a red card and nothing more.

Not-so-popular opinion: Suraez deserved an international ban only a one month ban..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Also, it is physically impossible for a human being to simultaneously watch two players running at speed in opposite directions as well as a third playing the ball through and say with any degree of accuracy who was where at the exact point the ball was kicked. Offside is a lottery and a farce and should be managed by machines or, at the very least, an official with a monitor.

This is demonstrably untrue, the number of contentious or inaccurate offside calls are vastly outnumbered by the number of correct offside calls. To say offside calls are a lottery is ridiculous, to say they are physically impossible is the second dumbest thing I have heard today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Gary Linekers ears are not really that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Despite most people thinking craig bellamy is a nice guy i despise him with all my being.

I also hate and always have for no real reason Nigel winterburn.

Good to get that off the chest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The league of Ireland should be disbanded. The fai then should adopt a provincial system like in Rugby union. They should then look to join up with the Scottish premier league.

Who'll support the teams? Over my dead body would I support a Leinster franchise.

My unpopular opinion. I find it odd that people generally accept supporting football teams from other areas rather than where they are from yet this would be questioned massively if it was in GAA realms. A Cork man supporting Kilkenny because his uncle lived there etc. They'd be lauged out of it. A Longford man supporting Kerry because of their success etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

One of the reasons that England are crap is that their players are thick as sh1te. They do not have the same level of intelligence as footballers from other European countries due to the youth football system in England which has little focus on actual education. They are literally too stupid to be any better than they are.

Scallys with too much money and not enough sense.

EDIT: I'm not picking on England, the same can be applied to Ireland/Norn Iron/Scotland/Wales, but they don't compare themselves to Spain, Germany, France etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Van Persie isn't world class, he had one good year at Arsenal, but will ultimately be remembered for his injuries.

Ferguson's decision to buy him was about protecting his own legacy by trying to ensure he went out with a win.

Italian football is dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Van Persie isn't world class, he had one good year at Arsenal, but will ultimately be remembered for his injuries.
    The 18 months before his move actually, plus the first season at United. That's 2 and a half years of consistent goalscoring, what qualifies as world class if not that?

And I hate the man.

World-class is a fcuking stupid term whose meaning has no value for me anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Turtyturd wrote: »

Ferguson's decision to buy him was about protecting his own legacy by trying to ensure he went out with a win.

Italian football is dire.

Mod Edit : Snipped the HUUUUUGE image, re-size please if ya want it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

retalivity wrote: »
    One of the reasons that England are crap is that their players are thick as sh1te. They do not have the same level of intelligence as footballers from other European countries due to the youth football system in England which has little focus on actual education. They are literally too stupid to be any better than they are.

I totally agree and I am an Englishman (and a Scally too I am informed)

Omackeral wrote: »
    Who'll support the teams? Over my dead body would I support a Leinster franchise.

While I don't agree with the original point, all you need for support is to win matches. If the Leinster franchise were to win games, the crowds would turn up.
    But I'm pretty sure you need a national league to have a national team and not a chance scotland would want us. Although, it would be funny if it did happen, the Irish celtic fans would be confused!

Here's my unpopular opinion. I'd like to see a united ireland team. Combine the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland national teams. I know it won't happen, some fans would píss their pants just thinking about it, but I'd still like to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

This is demonstrably untrue, the number of contentious or inaccurate offside calls are vastly outnumbered by the number of correct offside calls. To say offside calls are a lottery is ridiculous, to say they are physically impossible is the second dumbest thing I have heard today.

They're not exactly a lottery, but it is impossible for an assistant to look in two different places at the same time. Often he can see the passer and the furthest man forward at the same time, but in cases where he has to turn his head from the passer at the moment of the pass, he has to make a guess where the attacker was in relation to the defender a split-second before. It IS a testament to their judgement that they get it right so many times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Cienciano wrote: »
    While I don't agree with the original point, all you need for support is to win matches. If the Leinster franchise were to win games, the crowds would turn up.
    But I'm pretty sure you need a national league to have a national team and not a chance scotland would want us. Although, it would be funny if it did happen, the Irish celtic fans would be confused!

Here's my unpopular opinion. I'd like to see a united ireland team. Combine the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland national teams. I know it won't happen, some fans would píss their pants just thinking about it, but I'd still like to see it.

That's a really good idea, just call it Ireland, might even have a positive effect on the crazy IRA and the were British and hate you Irish heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Check out the wobble on that.

And I don't even care for Ronaldo :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Frankie would smack that!

And I care for Lampard :pac:

You can be a football genius while being extremely stupid in other aspects. Your 'unpopular opinion' has very little basis when you can easily see that 2 of the greatest footballers of all time in Maradona and Pele had very little education. Even Ronaldo states '“I was quite popular in school but I’ve not kept in touch with one person. I was not thick but I was not interested in school. I was expelled after I threw a chair at the teacher,”. All 3 of these players were suspended from school for various incidents.

Most of these unpopular opinions are just stupid reasons people are clutching at to explain things when if they actually thought about it for more than a minute they'd realise its not an 'unpopular opinion' its just a 'stupid statement'. And before anyone says it, yes..... opinions can be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Robbie Keane isn't our best option up front now

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Premier League fans are ****e. Zero atmosphere at most grounds. Crystal Palace aside.

EDIT: I'm not picking on England, the same can be applied to Ireland/Norn Iron/Scotland/Wales, but they don't compare themselves to Spain, Germany, France etc.
    That makes no sense. Think of the best english players from the last 20 years. Scholes, Ashley Cole, Shearer, Beckham, Rio Ferdinand and Gazza. Not exactly the most intelligent people in the world.
    It's pretty much common knowledge that it's down to coaching right down through youth levels, it's no secret.

Cienciano wrote: »
    That makes no sense. Think of the best english players from the last 20 years. Scholes, Ashley Cole, Shearer, Beckham, Rio Ferdinand and Gazza. Not exactly the most intelligent people in the world.
    It's pretty much common knowledge that it's down to coaching right down through youth levels, it's no secret.

What have they done/won with England though? quarter finals at best and then the handwringing about not being good enough. Would hardly call them successful at that level. They've been successful at club level though, usually in teams with a fair sprinkling of foreigners. Throw them altogether for a few weeks in the summer though and it just doesn't work.

If you mean that the problem with English players is their coaching from a young age, then I fully agree with you. The problem is that the coaching does not seem to include anything resembling an education for players in their formative years, which greatly hinders them later on.

It's not the only reason they never perform but I think its a big part of it

• Advertisement

What have they done/won with England though? quarter finals at best and then the handwringing about not being good enough. Would hardly call them successful at that level. They've been successful at club level though, usually in teams with a fair sprinkling of foreigners. Throw them altogether for a few weeks in the summer though and it just doesn't work.

If you mean that the problem with English players is their coaching from a young age, then I fully agree with you. The problem is that the coaching does not seem to include anything resembling an education for players in their formative years, which greatly hinders them later on.

It's not the only reason they never perform but I think its a big part of it

Sooooo how do you explain Yaya Toure, Kolo Toure, Gervinho, Drogba, Bony, Romaric, Kalou etc all coming from Ivory Coast where they are not getting the same education as English players.

Advertisement