Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your unpopular footballing opinions Mod warnings - post#128

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

What would you call Prince Charles or Prince Rainier?

+1

It doesn't matter how it's dressed up...issues with knighthoods or the poppy are just pig in the kitchen gombeenery. Would people have the same issue with the Sultan of Brunei? I think not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

What would you call Prince Charles or Prince Rainier?

Charles or Rainier or whatever their names are. I don't recognise any monarchies, the vast majority of them have gotten to their positions by robbing their people, warmongering and pure luck by just being born into it.

It's not earned. It's just given. An assumed right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

ronjo wrote: »
    Liverpool fans and Manchester United fans are two peas in a pod.

I'd extend that to "football fan are all peas in a pod".

There's a group of fans who in every generation who get swept along by whoever was good at the time. Not that I have any problem with that.

So that history is responsible for a large number of Liverpool fans in the 80's, Utd fans in the 90's Chelsea fans in the 00's and there's probably going to be a chunk of City fans left over after this decade.

Other than that, everyone has the same sorts of stories - they saw some match that captivated them or their big brother was a fan or all their friends were fans...

No fan base can claim some sort of divine inspiration. There's nothing between us, other than the weight of success and history skewing the numbers a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    best defensive midfielder in the premiership

has been for 3/4 years

That's nearly as mad as the lad who thinks Ronaldo is ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Certain people posing as administrators of football in this country are nothing more than racketeers.

FAI bashing isn't exactly unpopular and people like to bash Delaney for his salary, but that is the least of the problems in Irish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Augmerson wrote: »
    Charles or Rainier or whatever their names are. I don't recognise any monarchies, the vast majority of them have gotten to their positions by robbing their people, warmongering and pure luck by just being born into it.

It's not earned. It's just given. An assumed right.
    Look, it's not that I disagree with you about the absurdity of monarchy, it just doesn't worry me all that much. And I doubt you refer to Princes Charles and Rainier by their first names alone.

"Saw Charles on holiday in the South of France yesterday."
    "Charles Barkley, the Round Mound of Rebound? Notorious killer Charles Manson?"
    "Nah, Prince Charles."
    "Why didn't you just say that?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Irish Man U fans referring to Alex Ferguson as "Sir Alex" or "SAF". Unless you're British and are a Royalist and that's your indulgence I don't think anyone should recognise titles handed down by a foreign monarch. Not being anti-British, just anti-monarchies. It's elitist.

Not recognising a title also takes nothing away from the mans achievements in football.

It shouldn't be an issue if they want to either. Get over it as the fella says. It doesn't matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

+1

It doesn't matter how it's dressed up...issues with knighthoods or the poppy are just pig in the kitchen gombeenery. Would people have the same issue with the Sultan of Brunei? I think not.

Oh the Sultan! The man who pushed through Sharia law in Brunei where it's illegal to be homosexual and you can be stoned to death for infidelity?

God no, no beef with him or his position. Top lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

gerrard will again be one of the best midfielders in the PL next year. I think his form over the last 4 months of last season was as impressive as he has ever been in a liverpool shirt. He is suppossedly finished (again) as he had 2 bad games for england. Apart from Yaya and Ramsey and maybe henderson there was no other midfielder as impressive as him last season. I much prefer the version of him now compared to the dynamic gerrard of days gone by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

gerrard will again be one of the best midfielders in the PL next year. I think his form over the last 4 months of last season was as impressive as he has ever been in a liverpool shirt. He is suppossedly finished (again) as he had 2 bad games for england. Apart from Yaya and Ramsey and maybe henderson there was no other midfielder as impressive as him last season. I much prefer the version of him now compared to the dynamic gerrard of days gone by.

I think Gerrard was extremely lucky to be recognised for having as good a season as he is widely considered to have had. I personally felt he was poor for the first half of the season and while he was very good in the second half of the season, he was by no means as exceptional as many in the media etc seem to portray him as being.

If his periods of play had been swapped around (i.e., Gerrard having his good spell pre-New Year and what I personally felt was his poor spell post-New Year) then very few would be talking about him IMO. Ramsey would be a good example in terms of the general perception. Ramsey was immense during the first half of the season, yet because injury struck and he was largely irrelevant for the second half of the season he was left out of Team of the Years etc for Gerrard, despite his period of good play being of a higher level to what Gerrard produced.

Lots of people seem to just have discounted Gerrard's early season form and not look at the season as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The standard of the PL has gone down the jacksy completely. The season just gone by was awful. Despite their squads being worth close to 200 million, Chelsea and Man City were incredibly average with the title ultimately being decided by who slipped up at the least as opposed to outright consistent excellence like it used to be.

Ronaldo is at his peak and Messi has yet to reach his peak.

Given the right funding, the setting up of more teams and a bit of f&cking marketing, the LOI has the potential to at least reach the level of the Scandinavian leagues.

The Champions League is the very pinnacle of what can be achieved in football, not the world cup.

The FA cup shoud be treated not as an inconvenience but an opportunity. The only way this will happen is if replays are ditched and ET and penalties decide a tie.

Bayern Munich are highly over-rated.

Clubs financed by oil money will never become consistent powerhouses due to over-spending and a lack of footballing knowledge on the owners part.

Last season was a once-off for Liverpool as they don't have the financial clout to seriously strengthen their squad and push on. I expect them to become regular top 4 but not title-winning.

The off-side rule should only apply in the penalty area.

Ireland are in no way guaranteed qualification to Euro 2016 and it is a possibility that we'll finish 4th again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Irish Man U fans referring to Alex Ferguson as "Sir Alex" or "SAF". Unless you're British and are a Royalist and that's your indulgence I don't think anyone should recognise titles handed down by a foreign monarch. Not being anti-British, just anti-monarchies. It's elitist.

What I find odd is that they'd never do it for other people with knighthoods, but always say 'Sir Alex'. It's as though he's the only one with a knighthood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What I find odd is that they'd never do it for other people with knighthoods, but always say 'Sir Alex'. It's as though he's the only one with a knighthood.

examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

David Beckham was a better and more effective player than Ryan giggs.

Longevity aside, giggs wouldn't make it on a premier league man utd best 11.

To bring back the magic of the fa cup, the fourth champions league place should be given to the winners and only the top 3 in the league. Instantly the cup is more important than ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

examples?

They wouldn't say 'Sir Sean Connery' or the likes, they just refer to them by name. This is just some people I know personally of course, probably doesn't hold true for everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

tastyt wrote: »
    To bring back the magic of the fa cup, the fourth champions league place should be given to the winners and only the top 3 in the league. Instantly the cup is more important than ever

And when teams of lesser quality, even championship teams, win the cup - they'll be dumped out of the CL early doors. Eventually uefa will take a CL spot off England. It won't be allowed to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

tastyt wrote: »
    David Beckham was a better and more effective player than Ryan giggs.

Longevity aside, giggs wouldn't make it on a premier league man utd best 11.
    I disagree, Giggs in the 90's was unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Cienciano wrote: »

I always have fond memories of Giggs, and think damn he was a great player, but when i look at his record, it is very underwhelming and really drives home how overrated he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

thelad95 wrote: »

The Champions League is the very pinnacle of what can be achieved in football, not the world cup.

I thought this was the popular opinion. I'd disagree though. No competition compares to the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

There are more important things in every sport than winning.

No sport overlooks this as much as football which, from top to bottom, is run like a business, whereby the financial ends justify the means.

The logical implication of this is that there is no morality in the sport and drug taking is surely rife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

gosplan wrote: »
    There are more important things in every sport than winning.

No sport overlooks this as much as football which, from top to bottom, is run like a business, whereby the financial ends justify the means.

The logical implication of this is that there is no morality in the sport and drug taking is surely rife.

I don't know about you, but that's part of the reason i'm proud to be an Arsenal fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I dont particularly want Ireland to qualify for a major tournament any more, and I'd be quite happy if we didnt enter. The rigmarole of an 18 months qualifying tournament, where the prize if we qualify is to get tonked 4-0 by Holland or Germany.......I'm just not interested in this as a fan, and I think thats where we are at.

Euro 2012 was an entirely disheartening experience. I am enjoying this years world cup a lot more, because I can take it all in and not be worrying about Ireland losing to Costa Rica or Ghana.

The international game has become much more competitive, and in the past twenty years its become much harder for Irish players to get into a decent club side in England. I dont see the Italia 90 experience ever being repeated.

I'd much rather see us enter a second tier competition that we have a chance of winning or competing in.

Following Ireland in soccer is like following Leitrim in GAA. We have no hope of winning a major trophy; we need the equivalent of the Connaught Championship to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I much prefer the 'make the most of what we have' nature to international football than buying in talent in club football.
    In fact international football is way more interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

iDave wrote: »
    I much prefer the 'make the most of what we have' nature to international football than buying in talent in club football.
    In fact international football is way more interesting.

Completely agree.

Its very interesting to see for example how Argentina will operate with genius forwards and poor defence against say a Germany team that is strong all over the pitch....

Whereas if it was Barca versus Bayern, and Barca has a poor defence....they'd just go out and buy new defenders.

English premiership this year really is Team A with loads of cash versus Team B with loads of cash, and its by a random fluke that the teams bought by Oil Sheikhs and Russian Oligarchs were Man City and Chelsea, and not Aston Villa and Fulham.

I don't agree with people saying Ireland don't have a hope in major tournaments. Look at Costa Rica and Greece last night! They are our standard and were battling it out for a place in the last 8 of the World Cup! Costa Rica emerged from a group with three world champions in it. Like us, they are a team of journeymen but with the right system and a bit of belief, anything is possible.

In the next qualifying campaign, there are four important games, the rest are irrelevant because Germany will walk the group and we'll beat the mickey-mouse teams anyway. If we can get it together for those four games (scotland and roland home and away) we will qualify.

At Euro 2012, we got the group of death but we could have also been put in with Poland, Russia and Greece in the group of 'life'.

I can understand how people are disillusioned after the Trappatoni regime but this World Cup has shown that in tournament play with the right manager, the right system, team spirit, a bit of belief and a healthy sprinkling of luck, anything is possible. I mean for f*ck sake, Algeria are in the knockout stages!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I mean for f*ck sake, Algeria are in the knockout stages!!

Algeria are a much better side than us.

And when teams of lesser quality, even championship teams, win the cup - they'll be dumped out of the CL early doors. Eventually uefa will take a CL spot off England. It won't be allowed to happen.

You honestly think a championship team would ever win the cup if there was a champions league place up for grabs ? Dont think so

Cienciano wrote: »

Would he make it on either wing for United ahead of Beckham and ronaldo?? Maybe, but not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

The disrespect shown to the Europa League by English clubs is a disgrace. Putting out the reserves in a European competition. Compare it to Spanish or Italian clubs who go out to win it every year.

• Advertisement

I don't agree with people saying Ireland don't have a hope in major tournaments. Look at Costa Rica and Greece last night! They are our standard and were battling it out for a place in the last 8 of the World Cup! Costa Rica emerged from a group with three world champions in it. Like us, they are a team of journeymen but with the right system and a bit of belief, anything is possible.

In the next qualifying campaign, there are four important games, the rest are irrelevant because Germany will walk the group and we'll beat the mickey-mouse teams anyway. If we can get it together for those four games (scotland and roland home and away) we will qualify.

At Euro 2012, we got the group of death but we could have also been put in with Poland, Russia and Greece in the group of 'life'.

I can understand how people are disillusioned after the Trappatoni regime but this World Cup has shown that in tournament play with the right manager, the right system, team spirit, a bit of belief and a healthy sprinkling of luck, anything is possible. I mean for f*ck sake, Algeria are in the knockout stages!!

Optimism is great but reality bites hard

Ireland will qualify for World Cups on rare occasions only. There are more countries of our population size who are organised and prepared for the battle than ever before. The competition has never been so fierce. Costa Rica won't make the QFs regularly. This is akin to our Italia 90. A once in a blue moon occurance.

You slagged off the Trappatoni regime but please realise that under his watch we qualified for one tournament, failed at the playoff stage in another, and didn't feature in the third. In the future we will look on this type of record as a major success. If O'Neill/Keane do as well then we'll be thrilled. I hope I'm wrong but occasional qualification for an extended Euros will be our lot. The World Cup QFs are a million miles away for us.

frimpong wrote: »
    The disrespect shown to the Europa League by English clubs is a disgrace. Putting out the reserves in a European competition. Compare it to Spanish or Italian clubs who go out to win it every year.

I predict that will change now that Europa League winners qualify for the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Everyone criticizes Robben for diving yet they'd all be delighted if he signed for their team in the morning. Hearing people say they wouldn't want a diver like him at their club is embarrassing considering almost every club has a player(s) who dives.

Controversial decisions are a major element of the sport and greatly add to the excitement.

That will hopefully change now with the winner of the Europa getting into next seasons Champions League.

Personally, I think the Europa could do with shaving of the round of 32. 12 group winners along with best 4 CL third places make up round of 16. This would definitely make the English sides care about the group stages.

The Italian clubs rarely field their strongest team in the Europa and the bigger clubs are often happy to go out in the group so they can focus on the league.

The majority of Milan fans were delighted about missing out on the Europa next year, I'd imagine United fans felt the same. It's an inconvenience.

The Italian clubs rarely field their strongest team in the Europa and the bigger clubs are often happy to go out in the group so they can focus on the league.

The majority of Milan fans were delighted about missing out on the Europa next year, I'd imagine United fans felt the same. It's an inconvenience.

I'm not sure why they ditched the name 'UEFA cup'. Europa League just sounds awful and gives the impression there is no prestige or history attached to the competition. Uefa cup was treated with a bit more respect.

I'm not sure why they ditched the name 'UEFA cup'. Europa League just sounds awful and gives the impression there is no prestige or history attached to the competition. Uefa cup was treated with a bit more respect.

I honestly think they change some things just for the sake of making a change :pac:

The CL place for the winner should add to the excitement in the latter stages but realistically the final is probably going to be won or at least contested by teams who have already qualified through their own league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Ireland are a micky mouse team with delusions of grandeur.
    People call soccer entities clubs with players. They're not. They are companies with employees.
    The media and people in general should stop taking it all so seriously, sport is suppose to be fun. David Moyes getting s%^t-canned by Man Utd should never, ever, be the lead story on non-sport news.
    The premier league is one of the worst things to happen to soccer in years.
    The LOI is nowhere near as poor as it's reputation but the rabid fans are what's keeping people away.
    Going to a game live, even if it's a poor game, is still much better than watching one on tv, even if it's a good game.

If ever Ireland put a bid together with Wales or Scotland to host a tournament I really hope we Dont get it. Having to beg to borrow stadiums from the gaa and rugby because you can't get your own house in order so you can put on a big show to the world. The fai don't give a **** about their domestic league and don't deserve a chance to put on an '' event '' and get their back slapped by UEFA or fifa or whoever. It's embarrassing that we even have the cheek to apply for these tournaments. We are the only country to ever play at a world cup that didn't bring a player from their domestic league. Sort that out before you go trying to rub shoulders and bull**** with the UEFA blazers. It a a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I dont think Maradona should be considered one of the great players because he was caught doping. Even though he was caught late in his career, I dont think it would be too outlandish to say he wasnt doing it in the 80s. Amazing talent though.
    9 Maradona doping throws his career into a massive shadow i rate Messi, Ronaldo, Pele, Zidane ect all above him because they never cheated.

So by taking drugs did it mean he was able to dribble better, to turn defenders inside out, to place balls better, to have the vision to set up teammates, to somehow stay on his feet better when chopped down by defenders, to turn an average team into proper contenders ?

The fact he could do these better than almost anyone around him were what made him a special talent and IMHO probably the world greatest ever player.
    He might not have been the most sporting, but you can't ever take away what he did with a ball at his feet, on his knee, on his head, shoulder or in even his hand. ;)

FFS if taking drugs had allowed him to do those things above then Ben Johnson and Keith Richards could have been world beaters in soccer.

BTW Maradona was always on drugs just to keep playing.
    He played through horrendous pain and injuries and was doped up on painkillers to withstand it.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

We wouldn't have got through that group either. In fact, it's not all that unlikely that we would still have lost all 3 games!

But I do agree with a lot of what you say and the sad reality is, in order to make an impression again, we need Martin O'Neill to unearth a good few "plastic Paddys" from England, Scotland, Wales, USA or anywhere. Lots of people will complain if he does, but it won't stop most of them singing Ole Ole Ole in the pub if/when we're winning games in Qatar (or wherever) in 2022. I predict in future years we'll have a huge amount of MLS players wanting to play for Ireland in an effort to get moves to European leagues. And any Ireland manger, whether you agree with it or not, will take the one's that are any use.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    We wouldn't have got through that group either. In fact, it's not all that unlikely that we would still have lost all 3 games!

But I do agree with a lot of what you say and the sad reality is, in order to make an impression again, we need Martin O'Neill to unearth a good few "plastic Paddys" from England, Scotland, Wales, USA or anywhere. Lots of people will complain if he does, but it won't stop most of them singing Ole Ole Ole in the pub if/when we're winning games in Qatar (or wherever) in 2022. I predict in future years we'll have a huge amount of MLS players wanting to play for Ireland in an effort to get moves to European leagues. And any Ireland manger, whether you agree with it or not, will take the one's that are any use.

Very good point on the MLS. Could really be a huge source of players in years to come

My predictions tend to fall on their arses though

I predicted years ago that the top European clubs would breakaway from UEFA and their domestic FAs and do their own thing. I am very surprised it hasn't happened by now, but it still will....eventually....and when it does, it will destroy international football

The World Cup should be every 2 years and do away with the Euro's, African Nations Cups etc....and having multiple host nations for it is okay!

Both the ball skills and fitness levels of the vast majority of professional footballers is abysmal - for people whose full time job it is to practise and train

Video technology should NOT be introduced.

In the Premier League (or any league), the battle to finish 4th is neither more important, nor more exciting than the battle to avoid relegation (despite what Sky would have you believe).

Outside of the top 3 or so, the Premier League is miles behind some other leagues. I don't even see how this can be up for debate.

It doesn't feckin matter who the Ireland assistant manager is now any more than it mattered when it was Tardelli, Setters or anyone else (I can't even remember who Kerr or McCathy's assistants were)

Johnny Giles is not senile....far from it

Arsenal will be the biggest club in England soon (and I am not an Arsenal supporter)

Hibernian are the nearest thing to an Irish club in Britain. Not Celtic or anyone else

Although many praise what it does for local communities, the GAA has been a massive impediment to Ireland’s performances in international sport, not just Soccer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

jmayo wrote: »
    So by taking drugs did it mean he was able to dribble better, to turn defenders inside out, to place balls better, to have the vision to set up teammates, to somehow stay on his feet better when chopped down by defenders, to turn an average team into proper contenders ?

Yes they did give him the extra stamina to do those things better than what he would have done without

I and many others on the forum have already explained to people about how much if an impact drug taking can help a player. If you don't understand it first time around then it will be like talking to a brick wall.

Those drugs made him a better player. There is no debate on it. If they didn't then he wouldn't have taken anything.

• Advertisement

Yes they did give him the extra stamina to do those things better than what he would have done without

I and many others on the forum have already explained to people about how much if an impact drug taking can help a player. If you don't understand it first time around then it will be like talking to a brick wall.

Those drugs made him a better player. There is no debate on it. If they didn't then he wouldn't have taken anything.

Maradonna I believe was found to have taken social drugs (cocaine). Correct me if I'm wrong. Apologies in advance if I am.

Cocaine is not a performance enhancing drug. It would actually be a performance impediment drug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Most major European clubs run a doping program, most top level stars take performance enhancers. FIFA know and have designed a light touch anti-doping program aimed more at catching players out taking social drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

9 Maradona doping throws his career into a massive shadow i rate Messi, Ronaldo, Pele, Zidane ect all above him because they never cheated.

Zidane played at Juventus during a time a doping investigation found they had enough drugs for a 'small hospital' at the club. Highly unlikely he wasn't a juicer his whole career in my opinion.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Maradonna I believe was found to have taken social drugs (cocaine). Correct me if I'm wrong. Apologies in advance if I am.

Cocaine is not a performance enhancing drug. It would actually be a performance impediment drug!

I think he was done for ephidrine at the 94 world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

I agree with this. UEFA Cup was a much more distinct and prestigious name.

• Advertisement
Advertisement