Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your unpopular footballing opinions Mod warnings - post#128

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Diego Costa is not a great player. Had one great season in a team that was a well oiled machine. I know he wasn't fully fit, but showed his limitations in the World Cup, when a team wasn't built around him. He wont be a massive success at Chelsea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

dulux99 wrote: »
    Diego Costa is not a great player. Had one great season in a team that was a well oiled machine. I know he wasn't fully fit, but showed his limitations in the World Cup, when a team wasn't built around him. He wont be a massive success at Chelsea.

Is he their new Shevchenko/Torres??

Is he their new Shevchenko/Torres??

Don't think he'll be that bad, but I really don't think he'll set the world on fire at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

As long as hes better than what we currently have and he is, we'll be ok, he doesnt have to get 30-35 League goals, it would be nice but I dont think he will.

Alot depends on keeping Lukaku and if he doesnt act like a child, like last year, he'll be kept and we'll have 2 options that we could have only imagined about last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

GavRedKing wrote: »
    As long as hes better than what we currently have and he is, we'll be ok, he doesnt have to get 30-35 League goals, it would be nice but I dont think he will.

Alot depends on keeping Lukaku and if he doesnt act like a child, like last year, he'll be kept and we'll have 2 options that we could have only imagined about last year.

40m for a striker Gav- you'd expect him to hit 30 goals.

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    40m for a striker Gav- you'd expect him to hit 30 goals.

We're only dealing in the Queens English so hes a bargain 32million STG. :D

30 overall goals I'd be hoping and praying, given our last few CFs, nothings a given, for that money he should be pushing that but it depends on the back up.

For example if we've Lukaku as 2nd CF and Costa doesnt hit the ground running, Lukaku will be in for a run of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The writing off of Costa is ridiculous. "One good season" is the quote of someone who clearly hasn't been watching him for very long. Ask Radamel Falcao how good and important Costa was a couple of seasons ago, the man was a supreme foil for the Columbian. Ask Simeone how good Costa is, Atletico could have fallen apart with the sale of Falcao but instead, with Costa as the figurehead, they flourished and won the La Liga.

He's a fighter, he's got the kind of passion and desire that you can't teach. He's deceivingly quick, he's got the kind of strength that's been built from years of battling. He scores goals, not in the great quantities as some other top strikers but, much like Drogba, you do him a great dis-service by measuring him on goal s alone. He is one of the world's premier strikers and, in Mourninho's Chelsea, I expect him to thrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I said when Aguero first arrived and I'm gonna say it for Costa too.

He won't break Torres' amount of goals in a debut season.

The writing off of Costa is ridiculous. "One good season" is the quote of someone who clearly hasn't been watching him for very long. Ask Radamel Falcao how good and important Costa was a couple of seasons ago, the man was a supreme foil for the Columbian. Ask Simeone how good Costa is, Atletico could have fallen apart with the sale of Falcao but instead, with Costa as the figurehead, they flourished and won the La Liga.

He's a fighter, he's got the kind of passion and desire that you can't teach. He's deceivingly quick, he's got the kind of strength that's been built from years of battling. He scores goals, not in the great quantities as some other top strikers but, much like Drogba, you do him a great dis-service by measuring him on goal s alone. He is one of the world's premier strikers and, in Mourninho's Chelsea, I expect him to thrive.

I said he had one great season, not one good season. He's had plenty of good seaons. We clearly disagree on this, but I don't think his link up play is anywhere near the level of Drogba's. He was a great foil for Falcao, but Chelsea dont have a Falcao, nor will they play with two up top. All these ingredients together, just makes me think he wont exactly set the world on fire. I could easily be wrong though.

FitzShane wrote: »
    I said when Aguero first arrived and I'm gonna say it for Costa too.

He won't break Torres' amount of goals in a debut season.

Aguero came very close :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,090 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Aguero came very close :pac:

He did indeed! 1 goal.

The group of lads I have love to go back a year etc and drag up predictions just to 'show up lads' making a prediction. Never happens when you are right tho! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

As someone who watches Atletico every week, it really was just one good season, and a season where his limitations were still clearly visible. He isn't world class, never will be. Shouldn't need to be though to do well enough in the Premiership.

My unpopular opinion is that Javier Hernandez has never been a very good player at all.

CSF wrote: »

My unpopular opinion is that Javier Hernandez has never been a very good player at all.

I travel over to Old Trafford atleast 5 or 6 times a year, and this is very much a common opinion throughout United supporters. People who tend to rate him very highly are those who only ever see his goals, or watch him sporadically. His link up play is abysmal, he's got a terrible touch, and doesn't offer much other than scoring relatively easy chances. Good player to get a goal, but will never be a consistent starter for a really top club.

I travel over to Old Trafford atleast 5 or 6 times a year, and this is very much a common opinion throughout United supporters. People who tend to rate him very highly are those who only ever see his goals, or watch him sporadically. His link up play is abysmal, he's got a terrible touch, and doesn't offer much other than scoring relatively easy chances. Good player to get a goal, but will never be a consistent starter for a really top club.

Glad to hear that this is the case. Most strikers that played in United Ferguson teams scored goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Turtyturd wrote: »
    A lot of the stick Pique gets is because he left United to go to Barcelona.
    Interesting, given he got far more stick in his relatively short time at Man Utd than he has ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Billy86 wrote: »
    Interesting, given he got far more stick in his relatively short time at Man Utd than he has ever since.

Pique got stick when it transpired he wasn't as good as people originally thought he was, probably due to not being tested much in a Barca team that were posting ridiculous possession stats.

Ex-United players are almost always well respected at other clubs. Even players who were pretty poor for the club like Forlan. Tevez is an obvious exception. It's a nonsense post and a totally fabricated argument, it's just not true and probably didn't deserve the time I took to post this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

People with this opinion tend to think they know more about football than the average fan so come up with stuff like this to justify their alternative point of view, they also usually rate Danny Welbeck for his work rate etc. and excuse the fact he's a shockingly bad finisher with a terrible first touch by saying "he's an all-rounder" and "he creates space for others".

(just an opinion)

Zico wrote: »
    People with this opinion tend to think they know more about football than the average fan so come up with stuff like this to justify their alternative point of view, they also usually rate Danny Welbeck for his work rate etc. and excuse the fact he's a shockingly bad finisher with a terrible first touch by saying "he's an all-rounder" and "he creates space for others".

(just an opinion)

I wholeheartedly disagree. You don't exactly have to have a football brain like Mourinho, to see what Hernandez offers nothing when he plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I wholeheartedly disagree. You don't exactly have to have a football brain like Mourinho, to see what Hernandez offers nothing when he plays.

Except for 60 goals in 4 years?

As I already stated, his goals and goal stats are good, but at the end of the day he's not good enough of an all round player to ever become a long term starter. You won't see any of the top clubs coming in for him as a first choice striker. Great player to have on the bench, and a very good backup though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Less than 20 goals a year in how many games? Doesn't seem great at all

As I already stated, his goals and goal stats are good, but at the end of the day he's not good enough of an all round player to ever become a long term starter. You won't see any of the top clubs coming in for him as a first choice striker. Great player to have on the bench, and a very good backup though

I haven't been following your conversation so i don't know what you have stated but i do know you said he offers nothing when he plays....he offers goals, something that alot of "world class" strikers struggle to find. I personally don't like him, i think he's lazy greedy and really lacks skill on the ball, BUT if i needed goals, he'd be on my list.

I haven't been following your conversation so i don't know what you have stated but i do know you said he offers nothing when he plays....he offers goals, something that alot of "world class" strikers struggle to find. I personally don't like him, i think he's lazy greedy and really lacks skill on the ball, BUT if i needed goals, he'd be on my list.

My point, was that he offers goals, but not alot as an all round striker.

20 goals a year in how many games? Doesn't seem fantastic.

Well it's actually averaging 15 goals a year not 20, apps average 24, it is a very impressive goalscoring record and the reason that Ferguson bought him in the first place.

My point, was that he offers goals, but not alot as an all round striker.

I saw your originally posts now, i'd have to agree, but when u see "he offers nothing" out of context you can understand my response.

I saw your originally posts now, i'd have to agree, but when u see "he offers nothing" out of context you can understand my response.
    He does have a pretty good goals per minute ratio and he is a very handy player to bring off the bench after 60 minutes if a goal is needed, especially against lower/midtable teams putting a lot of players behind the ball.

On the other hand though, he stifles how the rest of the entire attacking unit plays because his game is so one dimensional. Starting a game with him is often like starting with 10 men, and an 11th guy who might tap or head it in at some point. I would be interested to know how many goals Man Utd as a team average when he is on the pitch vs. when he is not.

As a player like I said, great to have as an option off the bench but if he is looking for significant starting time (which he might be this year after Moyes misused him as he did everybody) he is probably the first of all the strikers and #10s out the door.

Only 37 premiership goals for Hernandez and that doesn't hold up at all for a player who lacks other qualities, at a club whose strikers always got ridiculous amounts of chances for the frontman and whose frontmen have almost always put together big tallies under Ferguson, it's the way they play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

They don't come anymore unpopular than this.
    In her latest syndicated column right-wing troll and pundit Ann Coulter rails against the growing popularity of soccer in the U.S., which she blames on a pro-soccer liberal media and America’s millions of immigrants.

“Any growing interest in soccer can only be a sign of the nation’s moral decay,” Coulter writes before listing all of the reasons why she thinks soccer sucks.

Among these reasons are:

- “Individual achievement is not a big factor in soccer … There are no heroes, no losers, no accountability, and no child’s fragile self-esteem is bruised.”

- “Liberal moms like soccer because it’s a sport in which athletic talent finds so little expression that girls can play with boys.”

- “No other ‘sport’ ends in as many scoreless ties as soccer.”

- “The prospect of either personal humiliation or major injury is required to count as a sport” and soccer doesn’t have it.

- “You can’t use your hands in soccer,” a fact that, Coulter believes, goes against “[w]hat sets man apart from the lesser beasts,” i.e., “we have opposable thumbs.”

- “The same people trying to push soccer on Americans are the ones demanding that we love HBO’s ‘Girls,’ light-rail, Beyonce and Hillary Clinton.”

- ”It’s foreign.”

http://www.salon.com/2014/06/26/ann_coulter_no_american_whose_great_grandfather_was_born_here_is_watching_soccer/

Only 37 premiership goals for Hernandez and that doesn't hold up at all for a player who lacks other qualities, at a club whose strikers always got ridiculous amounts of chances for the frontman and whose frontmen have almost always put together big tallies under Ferguson, it's the way they play.
    To be fair that is in under 50 starts as over half his league games have been off the bench. But then again, as great as he is off the bench to break a deadlock against teams who are sitting deep he also tends to be very ineffective when he starts, usually regardless of opposition.

• Advertisement

Not sure why "she" has a problem with it, it's probably got a fanbase friendlier to transgendered folk than the other major sports in North America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I feel sorry for players like Hernandez.

People on here denigrating his play when in fact he would probably be a hell of a lot better had he not had to sit on the bench at Manchester United. I think had Hernandez been at a different club and played regularly this past four years he would be a far more developed player with an awesome goals record.

We don't play them, we don't give them regular games, then we moan that they haven't done it for us. Thats the game I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Fabio Capello is actually a decent international manager despite what the media might try & lead people to otherwise believe. His pay should have nothing to do with this, if football organizations want to pay him crazy money that's their prerogative .

He had the best win% ratio of any English manager in recent times & was only knocked out of the world cup by Germany(2nd ranked in the world) in South Africa.

He qualified top of Russia's 2014 world cup qualifying group beating Portugal into second. They didn't make it out of their group in brazil due to their goalkeeper making a crazy mistake against south korea, losing undeservedly in the last minute to a very strong belgium side & drawing against a very underrated Algerian side, 22nd ranked in the world.

Overall not brilliant but nowhere near as bad as some would make him out to be.

On top of this, Russia haven't made it out of a world cup group since they the USSR so their not exactly Brazil or anything

I feel sorry for players like Hernandez.

People on here denigrating his play when in fact he would probably be a hell of a lot better had he not had to sit on the bench at Manchester United. I think had Hernandez been at a different club and played regularly this past four years he would be a far more developed player with an awesome goals record.

We don't play them, we don't give them regular games, then we moan that they haven't done it for us. Thats the game I guess.

I think he was given much more of a chance at United than he ever warranted in honesty. A poorer man's Darren Bent.

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Fabio Capello is actually a decent international manager despite what the media might try & lead people to otherwise believe. His pay should have nothing to do with this, if football organizations want to pay him crazy money that's their prerogative .

He had the best win% ratio of any English manager in recent times & was only knocked out of the world cup by Germany(2nd ranked in the world) in South Africa.

He qualified top of Russia's 2014 world cup qualifying group beating Portugal into second. They didn't make it out of their group in brazil due to their goalkeeper making a crazy mistake against south korea, losing undeservedly in the last minute to a very strong belgium side & drawing against a very underrated Algerian side, 22nd ranked in the world.

Overall not brilliant but nowhere near as bad as some would make him out to be.

On top of this, Russia haven't made it out of a world cup group since they the USSR so their not exactly Brazil or anything

No, he isn't a bad manager, but has largely failed internationally when it mattered most, and the what usually comes before the why in terms of what sticks in people's heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No, he isn't a bad manager, but has largely failed internationally when it mattered most, and the what usually comes before the why in terms of what sticks in people's heads.

Just look at Trap.

• Advertisement

I think he was given much more of a chance at United than he ever warranted in honesty. A poorer man's Darren Bent.

I think you're being overly harsh on him. Not the most technically gifted player but his goals to minutes on the pitch is up there to rival the best of them and he has 36 international goals in just over 60 games. That alone makes him a valuable player even if he does nothing else.

I think you're being overly harsh on him. Not the most technically gifted player but his goals to minutes on the pitch is up there to rival the best of them and he has 36 international goals in just over 60 games. That alone makes him a valuable player even if he does nothing else.

Goals to minute ratio isn't the greatest measure for a player whose minutes are almost all when going gungho chasing a goal. His goals to minutes ratio should be even better when that is taken into account.

A goalscorer who doesn't do much else can be forgiven if they're a great goalscorer, Hernandez isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

I felt he was the reason they won the 10/11 title. Chipped in with plenty of important goals, most notably against Chelsea. "HEEERE'S HERNANDEZ, STRAIGHT AWAY!!"

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    I felt he was the reason they won the 10/11 title. Chipped in with plenty of important goals, most notably against Chelsea. "HEEERE'S HERNANDEZ, STRAIGHT AWAY!!"

Not having that. He scored a few goals that season, but there were plenty more notable and significant contributors than him. Even Berbatov who had an amazing year.

Goals to minute ratio isn't the greatest measure for a player whose minutes are almost all when going gungho chasing a goal.

Ah here, it seems like you're bending over backwards in order to discredit his goals. He's no world beater but not nearly as bad as the picture you are trying to paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

England are at a similar level to the usa and mexico and I cant see why they are constantly mentioned as potential winners of a world cup yet nobody would ever consider Mexico or the Usa as potential winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

England are at a similar level to the usa and mexico and I cant see why they are constantly mentioned as potential winners of a world cup yet nobody would ever consider Mexico or the Usa as potential winners.

Nobody outside England ever thinks they have a chance. In fairness, expectations were pretty low this time around.

I don't think England are that bad. Roy Hodgson's team selections and tactics have been all over the place and there's too many 'undroppables'. With the right manager, I believe this current crop of English players could at least reach a World Cup quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

thelad95 wrote: »
    Nobody outside England ever thinks they have a chance. In fairness, expectations were pretty low this time around.

I don't think England are that bad. Roy Hodgson's team selections and tactics have been all over the place and there's too many 'undroppables'. With the right manager, I believe this current crop of English players could at least reach a World Cup quarter final.
    true this time it was fairly downbeat but in previous world cups there was plenty of talk of them being equipped to win it over here. They are always in the top 8 in the betting maybe not this time. I think they are at the level of a USA, Mexico with up to 10 teams atleast always better equipped to win a world cup. I just dont see it with this current crop of english players like their predecessors they cant keep possession in the areas that matter and it doesnt mean half as much to them as it does to a lot of the other countries at the WC( possibly due to the money they are all on).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Not having that. He scored a few goals that season, but there were plenty more notable and significant contributors than him. Even Berbatov who had an amazing year.

Berbatov had an amazing 10-15 game span and was only average for the rest of the season. Nani was the best player in the league that season, though everyone will tell you how bad he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

'supporting' Celtic cause you're Catholic is for gob****es

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Leaving your house to go to a football match which your team is playing in every week makes you a fan, watching it on tv makes you someone who likes football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Leaving your house to go to a football match which your team is playing in every week makes you a fan, watching it on tv makes you someone who likes football.

If you'd said supporter you may have had a point. As it is you are wrong. How come it's just the LOI this seems to apply to as well? What if you watch the local team in the park every week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

So not having the financial means, or in some cases the physical ability, to attend matches means they are not fans?
    Seems harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

Seems like a petty shot at premier league fans. There's people who live a stones throw away from stadiums and still can't afford to go every week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

People who claim LOI supporters put them off supporting the LOI are talking absolutely ball axe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement