Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your unpopular footballing opinions Mod warnings - post#128

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

The writing off of Costa is ridiculous. "One good season" is the quote of someone who clearly hasn't been watching him for very long. Ask Radamel Falcao how good and important Costa was a couple of seasons ago, the man was a supreme foil for the Columbian. Ask Simeone how good Costa is, Atletico could have fallen apart with the sale of Falcao but instead, with Costa as the figurehead, they flourished and won the La Liga.

He's a fighter, he's got the kind of passion and desire that you can't teach. He's deceivingly quick, he's got the kind of strength that's been built from years of battling. He scores goals, not in the great quantities as some other top strikers but, much like Drogba, you do him a great dis-service by measuring him on goal s alone. He is one of the world's premier strikers and, in Mourninho's Chelsea, I expect him to thrive.

This is the exact reason simeone wanted to sell him last season only to have to put a stop to the transfer late on due to lack of another available striker....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Costa looked more Heskey than Drogba at the WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Costa looked more Heskey than Drogba at the WC.

He hasn't been fit for 2 months. He'll be a brilliant signing for Chelsea.

Anyone who writes 'Hames Rodriguez' should be shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

World cups are defined by what happens in the knockout stages, and on that basis this has been a crap world cup.

There has not been 1 upset in 8 round of 16 games and 2 quarterfinals...

Most of the knockout games have been poor.

The teams that were expected to light up the tournament have not done so.....Argentina, Brazil, Belgium to a lesser extent.

The teams that have lit up the tournament are gone.....Algeria, Ghana, Colombia.

The only hope for this tournament is that Holland win in great style through Robbern and Van Persie. Or possibly Belgium.

Brazil seem incapable of attractive football. Argentina are far more dependent on a single player than they were in 1986. Germany are boring and functional. Costa Rica aren't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

RFOLEY1990 wrote: »
    Anyone who writes 'Hames Rodriguez' should be shot.

This is the only time I've seen his name written like that

..so you know what to do.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Neymar has gone missing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    World cups are defined by what happens in the knockout stages, and on that basis this has been a crap world cup.

There has not been 1 upset in 8 round of 16 games and 2 quarterfinals...

Most of the knockout games have been poor.

The teams that were expected to light up the tournament have not done so.....Argentina, Brazil, Belgium to a lesser extent.

The teams that have lit up the tournament are gone.....Algeria, Ghana, Colombia.

The only hope for this tournament is that Holland win in great style through Robbern and Van Persie. Or possibly Belgium.

Brazil seem incapable of attractive football. Argentina are far more dependent on a single player than they were in 1986. Germany are boring and functional. Costa Rica aren't good enough.

Sorry what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Liam O wrote: »
    Berbatov had an amazing 10-15 game span and was only average for the rest of the season. Nani was the best player in the league that season, though everyone will tell you how bad he is.

I thought Nani was great at that time, he seems to have taken his foot off the gas since though.

Hernandez is turd though.

• Advertisement

So not having the financial means, or in some cases the physical ability, to attend matches means they are not fans?
    Seems harsh.

Kinda yeah, unfortunate as it is. I want to be an astronaut but can't afford the training and definitely lack the physical ability. This means I'm not an astronaut? Seems harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

The best way to utilise Nani is to play him until X-mas then loan him out for the rest of the season. He'd be perfect at Arsenal, they don't bother their arses after X-mas either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

CSF wrote: »
    I thought Nani was great at that time, he seems to have taken his foot off the gas since though.

Hernandez is turd though.

It's just injuries as far as I'm concerned. His rumoured falling out with Fergie probably hasn't helped either. I don't think he's had a run of even 3 or 4 consecutive starts for about 2 and a bit seasons now. Players like that you don't see their true value until you've played them 8 or 9 times over a couple of months and they have 3 odd goals and 4 odd assists. His linkup with Rooney was great too, think it was only RVP and Walcott who had linked up for more goals in the 2 or 3 season stretch around that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Kinda yeah, unfortunate as it is. I want to be an astronaut but can't afford the training and definitely lack the physical ability. This means I'm not an astronaut? Seems harsh.
    Comparing being physically/financially unable to attend a game to not been able to qualify as an astronaut? Terrible comparison.
    Either way, it doesn't reduce the level of 'fan' they are for their passion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Leaving your house to go to a football match which your team is playing in every week makes you a fan, watching it on tv makes you someone who likes football.

Nonsense, I can't go abroad every week to watch my team play and I'm still 10 times the fan the majority of LOI supporters are.

It's about how much you care and know about the team and whether or not you actively follow them weekly, not about how many times you see them play in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Nonsense, I can't go abroad every week to watch my team play and I'm still 10 times the fan the majority of LOI supporters are.

It's about how much you care and know about the team and whether or not you actively follow them weekly, not about how many times you see them play in person.

What makes you 10 times the fan of a loi supporter. I'm sure all loi supporters care a lot about their team and also know a lot about them.

• Advertisement

What makes you 10 times the fan of a loi supporter. I'm sure all loi supporters care a lot about their team and also know a lot about them.

That's my point. There's no evidence to support it. Comparing fans is a pointless argument because it's impossible to gauge who's a better fan without knowing each individual.

Saying that simply going to the games automatically makes someone a better fan is wrong though.

That's my point. There's no evidence to support it. Comparing fans is a pointless argument because it's impossible to gauge who's a better fan without knowing each individual.

Saying that simply going to the games automatically makes someone a better fan is wrong though.

No it's not. If you're not arsed making things happen to make 80-90% the home games even, you really don't care THAT much, and don't have an appreciation for the sacrifices people all over the world (it's definitely not a LOI thing) make with work, family and finances to make sure they get to all the home and away games.

So it's not just an immeasurable loose statement people are making, there is visible evidence of the increased interest that dedicated match going fans all over the world have in their club.

You'd swear Irish Premiership fans were the only fans worldwide with financial commitments, families and other things going on in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

The league of Ireland will never prosper because Irish people aren't football fans. We like to think we are and yes we like watching football but as a sport going public we only go and support our local gaa teams and huge international events.

Our culture and history is gaa and everything is geared towards it in this country. Football will never prosper

No it's not. If you're not arsed making things happen to make 80-90% the home games even, you really don't care THAT much
    Most ignorant post of the day.

Most ignorant post of the day.

Please elaborate. Why is it ignorant? If you cared THAT much you would make most games, you'd swear you were the only one who had commitments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

my da is bigger than yore da

my da is bigger than yore da

I don't have a Da :-(
    And to be fair, it was the Premier League supporting lad who said he was 10 times more of a fan than the majority of LOI fans. I'm just putting his ridiculous statement where it belongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I don't have a Da :-(
    And to be fair, it was the Premier League supporting lad who said he was 10 times more of a fan than the majority of LOI fans. I'm just putting his ridiculous statement where it belongs.

Smithwicks man supports Milan afaik.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Smithwicks man supports Milan afaik.

Cool, Insert Serie A as appropriate.

Please elaborate. Why is it ignorant? If you cared THAT much you would make most games, you'd swear you were the only one who had commitments.
    It's ignorant because you are classifying everyone that doesn't make it to 80-90% of home games as not caring that much or not being a real fan.
    What about a fan that loses his job and must focus on putting food on the table first, paying their mortgage and bills?
    Or the fan that loses his job and must immigrate?
    Or suffers an physical disabling injury and doesn't have the means to attend?
    Or the fan that works during more than 20% or the time a home game is on?

Why just home games? Why not 80-90% of all games, home and away?
    Why 80-90%? Why not 99-100% of games?

Your narrow minded criteria isn't representative of any real fan I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

I'm way more of a real fan than any of you guys. I create detailed models of each Liverpool squad member using wax collected from my ear.

Fescue wrote: »
    I'm way more of a real fan than any of you guys. I create detailed models of each Liverpool squad member using wax collected from my ear.
    You can't be more of a fan than CSF, unless you meet/surpass his criteria.
    But you are more of a fan than me, I've only mustered up earwax for get as far as Gerrard's knees.

It's ignorant because you are classifying everyone that doesn't make it to 80-90% of home games as not caring that much or not being a real fan.
    What about a fan that loses his job and must focus on putting food on the table first, paying their mortgage and bills?
    Or the fan that loses his job and must immigrate?
    Or suffers an physical disabling injury and doesn't have the means to attend?
    Or the fan that works during more than 20% or the time a home game is on?

Why just home games? Why not 80-90% of all games, home and away?
    Why 80-90%? Why not 99-100% of games?

Your narrow minded criteria isn't representative of any real fan I know of.
    Let's face it though, you're none of these things. You're just not that arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Football supporters go and support their team most weeks, it's not that complex

Let's face it though, you're none of these things. You're just not that arsed.
    Actually, by your criteria I pass.
    I make it to my local teams home games (who I support most of all) >95% of the time.

But don't let facts butt into your gross ignorance.

• Advertisement

No it's not. If you're not arsed making things happen to make 80-90% the home games even, you really don't care THAT much, and don't have an appreciation for the sacrifices people all over the world (it's definitely not a LOI thing) make with work, family and finances to make sure they get to all the home and away games. other things going .

Biggest load of bollocks I've ever read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I agree with the bolded part. Of course going to games makes you more of a supporter. You're actively there supporting the team vocally, as well as monetarily. Can't see how that would even be up for debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

This is the stupidest argument ever. You are like a bunch of 12 year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

drumswan wrote: »
    Football supporters go and support their team most weeks, it's not that complex

This pretty much is the end of the argument if you're applying worldwide standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rotun

Arguing over unpopular opinions
    Ye should all high five each other..

Soccer is quite boring, but easy to follow by flicking on every 10 mins or so..

No it's not. If you're not arsed making things happen to make 80-90% the home games even, you really don't care THAT much, and don't have an appreciation for the sacrifices people all over the world (it's definitely not a LOI thing) make with work, family and finances to make sure they get to all the home and away games.

So it's not just an immeasurable loose statement people are making, there is visible evidence of the increased interest that dedicated match going fans all over the world have in their club.

You'd swear Irish Premiership fans were the only fans worldwide with financial commitments, families and other things going on in their lives.

What your saying doesn't make sense though. Ireland is a tiny country and there's relatively small amounts of travel involved in going to the games.

I've only missed 2 Milan games, including friendlies, in the last 5 years. I've had to ring round mates to see if I could knock over to their house to stream Serie A and Coppa Italia games online cause my broadband was down. I know the team, management and ownership inside out.

I'm not trying to say look how great of a fan I am, but for me, these things are the limit of what I can do. There's no way I could travel over to Italy 19 times a season to watch the home league games in person.

A better gauge of fan quality is who follows their team closely when the chips are down. Milan are coming off the worst season I've ever seen them involved in but yet I was still watching the 92nd minute on the last day of the season as they wrapped up 8th place.

I've noticed a lot of casual United fans who lost interest after Christmas when they were doing poorly. Comparing this to some partisan United fans that I know who never missed a minute all season. That's much more important than attending the games imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

What your saying doesn't make sense though. Ireland is a tiny country and there's relatively small amounts of travel involved in going to the games.

I've only missed 2 Milan games, including friendlies, in the last 5 years. I've had to ring round mates to see if I could knock over to their house to stream Serie A and Coppa Italia games online cause my broadband was down. I know the team, management and ownership inside out.

I'm not trying to say look how great of a fan I am, but for me, these things are the limit of what I can do. There's no way I could travel over to Italy 19 times a season to watch the home league games in person.

A better gauge of fan quality is who follows their team closely when the chips are down. Milan are coming off the worst season I've ever seen them involved in but yet I was still watching the 92nd minute on the last day of the season as they wrapped up 8th place.

I've noticed a lot of casual United fans who lost interest after Christmas when they were doing poorly. Comparing this to some partisan United fans that I know who never missed a minute all season. That's much more important than attending the games imo.

When did you start supporting Milan and why ?

Omgz you went to a friends house to watch football you diehard!!!

And eh it takes me longer to get to Finn Harps or Cobh Ramblers from my house than it would Milan unfortunately so the size of Ireland doesn't really come into it.

If you were THAT big a Milan fan you'd be over at most of their home games, you'd find a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Omgz you went to a friends house to watch football you diehard!!!

And eh it takes me longer to get to Finn Harps or Cobh Ramblers from my house than it would Milan unfortunately so the size of Ireland doesn't really come into it.

If you were THAT big a Milan fan you'd be over at most of their home games, you'd find a way.

May be a little cheaper to get to Donegal or Cork than flying to Milan every two weeks though.

Just because someone does not physically attend a game does not mean they are not a big fan.

• Advertisement

May be a little cheaper to get to Donegal or Cork than flying to Milan every two weeks though.

Just because someone does not physically attend a game does not mean they are not a big fan.

Yes it does. They choose not to go because they don't care enough. Obviously people can't make EVERY game but people who don't go to games very often but go on like they're this diehard are living a lie.

Yes it does. They choose not to go because they don't care enough. Obviously people can't make EVERY game but people who don't go to games very often but go on like they're this diehard are living a lie.

There are many different ways to follow/support/adore a chosen team. In the very essence of being a supporter, attending fixtures, being there in person is the way to do it. I don't think that's in question. It's also a good idea to recognise those who chose/can't do this but are just as emotionally involved in their team as anyone else. I have no doubt that there are fans who don't attend matches who have a knowledge of their club beyond what regular attendees have. People have different ways of supporting their clubs.

There are many different ways to follow/support/adore a chosen team. In the very essence of being a supporter, attending fixtures, being there in person is the way to do it. I don't think that's in question. It's also a good idea to recognise those who chose/can't do this but are just as emotionally involved in their team as anyone else. I have no doubt that there are fans who don't attend matches who have a knowledge of their club beyond what regular attendees have. People have different ways of supporting their clubs.
    Being an encyclopaedia is not the same as being a fan. If you're choosing not to go see your team play you're clearly not as emotionally invested as anyone else. I could not choose not to go see my team play. There is often 1 or 2 games a season where circumstances prevail (work) but it couldn't choose not to go where it was possible.

Being an encyclopaedia is not the same as being a fan. If you're choosing not to go see your team play you're clearly not as emotionally invested as anyone else. I could not choose not to go see my team play. There is often 1 or 2 games a season where circumstances prevail (work) but it couldn't choose not to go where it was possible.

I should have been clearer, apolpgies, but I assume these people who don't go to see their team live are watching them on tv/streams etc. So the question is more about the value of watching a team in person as opposed to on tv etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

Disagree with this, As some people may never have the money or maybe time to see their favourite team, But they are just as emotionally involved as the next person who support the same team.

Tokarev wrote: »
    Disagree with this, As some people may never have the money or maybe time to see their favourite team, But they are just as emotionally involved as the next person.
    They're not. Otherwise they would go, like all the other people who go who also have other time and financial commitments that often make it difficult to go.

• Advertisement

I should have been clearer, apolpgies, but I assume these people who don't go to see their team live are watching them on tv/streams etc. So the question is more about the value of watching a team in person as opposed to on tv etc.

There is no real question there though. Supporting your team has always been about being there in person, long before football was really televised.

Tokarev wrote: »
    Disagree with this, As some people may never have the money or maybe time to see their favourite team, But they are just as emotionally involved as the next person.

Agree completely, there are possibly a billion people in Asia who follow Premier league teams emphatically but their support is often dismissed casually.

Agree completely, there are possibly a billion people in Asia who follow Premier league teams emphatically but their support is often dismissed casually.

For good reason. There is no logical reason for them to support a team half the world away, hence why they find themselves unable to go support the team.

There is no real question there though. Supporting your team has always been about being there in person, long before football was really televised.

As I said this is the essence of being a supporter but I was just making a case for those people who love football but chose not to attend regularly. Which includes me.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

They're not. Otherwise they would go, like all the other people who go who also have other time and financial commitments that often make it difficult to go.

So all the people in poor countries like in africa and asia are not true fans of their favourite clubs like real madrid, barcalona, manchester united, liverpool ect, ect. Cause they don't go?

Wake up man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement