Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your unpopular footballing opinions Mod warnings - post#128

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Tokarev wrote: »
    So all the people in poor countries like in africa and asia are not true fans of their favourite clubs like real madrid, barcalona, manchester united, liverpool ect, ect. Cause they don't go?

Wake up man.
    That's exactly it. There is no logical reason for someone from Asia to support a team half the world away, they're never gonna be able to go support the team.

Fescue wrote: »
    As I said this is the essence of being a supporter but I was just making a case for those people who love football but chose not to attend regularly. Which includes me.:o

Fair enough. But there is no case. If you were arsed you'd start booking those flights or start supporting someone a little more in sync with your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Good to know moving to Canada made me less of an Ireland fan now I can't make our home games anymore (yes I know I should find a way to make the 18 hour round trip). I'll try and cheer less when I watch them play from now on.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Good to know moving to Canada made me less of an Ireland fan now I can't make our home games anymore (yes I know I should find a way to make the 18 hour round trip). I'll try and cheer less when I watch them play from now on.

There are exceptions to every rule, assuming that if you were to move back tomorrow you'd be going to games again.

I'm referring to people who just aren't arsed or who started supporting a team who they'd never be able to logically go see regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

CSF wrote: »
    For good reason. There is no logical reason for them to support a team half the world away, hence why they find themselves unable to go support the team.

See this is where I find it difficult to understand your argument. Sport is a form of entertainment, its not a religion, a political ideal, an ethos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

That's exactly it. There is no logical reason for someone from Asia to support a team half the world away, they're never gonna be able to go support the team.

Silly statement.
    They support their team like any other fans,
    And by the way.
    Most merchandise from the worlds biggest clubs is sold in asia to people who never may have been there.
    So your saying they don't support?

See this is where I find it difficult to understand your argument. Sport is a form of entertainment, its not a religion, a political ideal, an ethos.

Watching a football match is entertainment, supporting a football team is much more than just that, this is something you start to grasp after a 94th minute winner in the lashings of rain after a 4 hour bus journey there, with another one to come home afterwards.

Silly statement.
    They support their team like any other fans,
    And by the way.
    Most merchandise from the worlds biggest clubs is sold in asia to people who never may have been there.
    So your saying they don't support?
    They don't. They just watch football matches on TV and buy tshirts. They don't support their team anything like the hardcore fans, the 2 things don't resemble each other at all.

They don't. They just watch football matches on TV and buy tshirts. They don't support their team anything like the hardcore fans, the 2 things don't resemble each other at all.

So from fans to hardcore fans, what's next?

Fans who have never been on a bus in the pissing rain?

And then we all smell the roses.

So from fans to hardcore fans, what's next?

Fans who have never been on a bus in the pissing rain?

And then we all smell the roses.

What are you even talking about now? You're not making any points here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

ShooterSF wrote: »

You support Ireland because that's where you were born and raised. Supporting an English team because they were the most successful team when you were growing up is different, it just is.

What are you even talking about now? You're not making any points here.

You said fans are not fans unless they go support thier team in body.
    Now your saying Hardcore fans (whatever that means?)

You said fans are not fans unless they go support thier team in body.
    Now your saying Hardcore fans (whatever that means?)

Well I didn't coin the term, it's always been a term used to describe those who pretty much never miss a game home or away.

And yes I did say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

So I'm not a football supporter because I can't afford to go to games. Would ya ever fcuk off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Why do people either overly love or overly hate Wayne Rooney? Personally, I think he is both overrated and overhated. There are worse players out there and there's a lot of better ones too. But why can't anyone else take the middle ground about him?

Well I didn't coin the term, it's always been a term used to describe those who pretty much never miss a game home or away.

And yes I did say that.

Ok, but we will still agree to disagree good sir.

You support Ireland because that's where you were born and raised. Supporting an English team because they were the most successful team when you were growing up is different, it just is.

It's completely illogical I support Liverpool. My cousins and circumstance decided so.

In the case of Ireland, circumstance decided so as well.

Why I have such an affiliation to Liverpool I don't know. I can't help it. It's irrational!

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    So I'm not a football supporter because I can't afford to go to games. Would ya ever fcuk off.

Yep pretty much. Football is a pretty cheap sport to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

No it's not for a lot of people and I happen to be one such unfortunate but I'm still a supporter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Robben on his day is just as good as Messi and Ronaldo.

Robben on his day is just as good as Messi and Ronaldo.

As good as Ronaldo all day long at diving :pac:

Do you think its rational to be a football supporter attending games at home and away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

marienbad wrote: »
    When did you start supporting Milan and why ?
    When I was about 7 or 8 years old and it's most likely because Football Italia was broadcast on Channel 4 and Eurosport throughout the 90's and early 00's so I saw them play a lot. As far as I can remember I was a Milan fan but you don't really start appreciating the game until you reach about 11/12 imo as it's much harder to follow when your a kid.
    Omgz you went to a friends house to watch football you diehard!!!

And eh it takes me longer to get to Finn Harps or Cobh Ramblers from my house than it would Milan unfortunately so the size of Ireland doesn't really come into it.

If you were THAT big a Milan fan you'd be over at most of their home games, you'd find a way.
    My point was that I couldn't stream the game at home so I had to go to the hassle of going elsewhere to stream it whereas a casual fan probably wouldn't have done so.

Regardless of where you live in the country I can safely say for a fact that it would take me longer to get to Milan than it would for you to get anywhere in Ireland but don't let facts get in the way of your hyperbole. The fact that you're even comparing the two is pretty hilarious.

I don't have the money to travel to Italy 25 times a season so I'm not a proper fan? So all the United and Liverpool fans in Ireland who can't travel over to watch them play weekly aren't proper fans either? You've certainly won the award of the most unpopular opinion anyway :rolleyes:

The funny thing is that I travel to a lot of GAA games for club and county every year, home and away, and I wouldn't consider myself near as big of a fan either of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Do you think its rational to be a football supporter attending games at home and away?

Very rational to go to home games. That's what makes them 'home' games. I'd go to 95% of them easily. I'd say lads and lasses that go to aways on top of that would be a bit more dedicated again.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Very rational to go to home games. That's what makes them 'home' games. I'd go to 95% of them easily. I'd say lads and lasses that go to aways on top of that would be a bit more dedicated again.

Is that rational normal behaviour?

• Advertisement

Is that rational normal behaviour?

I'm not sure I follow you. What do you mean?

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'm not sure I follow you. What do you mean?

What I mean, is that for most people attending games home and away is impossible. So I would describe you guys as extraordinary fans.

Sorry badly phrased on my part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It's completely illogical I support Liverpool. My cousins and circumstance decided so.

In the case of Ireland, circumstance decided so as well.

Why I have such an affiliation to Liverpool I don't know. I can't help it. It's irrational!

I was responding to someone who said he can no longer follow Ireland because he no longer lives here, but of course he can still follow them, he's from here, what other country can he ever properly support!?

What I mean, is that for most people attending games home and away is impossible. So I would describe you guys as extraordinary fans.

Sorry badly phrased on my part.

I have to disagree. Attending home games isn't impossible/extraordinary at all. That's why they're home games. They're played at your home. Now if your 'home' ground happens to be in another country that requires you to change money and take overseas modes of transport, well then that's a different kettle of fish and enters into the irrational, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

This is a very ignorant attitude. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to non-LOI supporters. People have been making valid points left right and center and youre sitting there telling us all that we dont deserve to call ourselves fans because we dont go to games? Thankfully youre in the extreme minority.

LOI is a rubbish league anyway. If i could afford it i'd throw money at heading to Old Trafford week in week out instead of watching the drivel being played in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

If, and it is a very big If, the USA gets hold of football, they could become a real force in the next generation.

They seem to punch above their weight often, or do they? Grandchildren watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Why do people either overly love or overly hate Wayne Rooney? Personally, I think he is both overrated and overhated. There are worse players out there and there's a lot of better ones too. But why can't anyone else take the middle ground about him?

I agree with you on this I'd imagine the overhate aspect is because they feel he is massively overpaid. I feel he has been very lucky or clever when it came to negotiating his last 2 contracts as particularly his latest contract didn't match up with what I feel his abilities or form deserved. Can't say I hate him myself he gives it his all on the pitch and if a club wants to pay him what they pay him that's the club's issue.He is a level below RVP suarez and Aguero in the Pl.

chupacabra wrote: »
    This is a very ignorant attitude. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to non-LOI supporters. People have been making valid points left right and center and youre sitting there telling us all that we dont deserve to call ourselves fans because we dont go to games? Thankfully youre in the extreme minority.

LOI is a rubbish league anyway . If i could afford it i'd throw money at heading to Old Trafford week in week out instead of watching the drivel being played in Ireland.

Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Barstoolers absolutely HATE to be reminded that they aren't the same as traditional football fans who go to games. It drives them DEMENTED.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

This world cup is not nearly as good as people are making it out to be. Apart from a few opening games, the matches have been slow, torrid affairs ended by the odd goal. The 4 semi finslists could be predicted by anyone barring maybe spains collapse. For example, myself and 3 friends, 2 of which had to be reminded that the world cup was soccer this year, not rugby, each picked a winner with a small wager at the start. Each team picked, are still in the competition.

The winner is impossible to predict as every team is playing badly. The temperature and humidity is wearing the players down thus the quality is gradually getting worse and worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The standard of LOI football is massively overrated by LOI football fans.

I can tell you don't follow Rovers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I cant say in my experience it is. They just enjoy supporting their local team.

When I was about 7 or 8 years old and it's most likely because Football Italia was broadcast on Channel 4 and Eurosport throughout the 90's and early 00's so I saw them play a lot. As far as I can remember I was a Milan fan but you don't really start appreciating the game until you reach about 11/12 imo as it's much harder to follow when your a kid.

My point was that I couldn't stream the game at home so I had to go to the hassle of going elsewhere to stream it whereas a casual fan probably wouldn't have done so.

Regardless of where you live in the country I can safely say for a fact that it would take me longer to get to Milan than it would for you to get anywhere in Ireland but don't let facts get in the way of your hyperbole. The fact that you're even comparing the two is pretty hilarious.

I don't have the money to travel to Italy 25 times a season so I'm not a proper fan? So all the United and Liverpool fans in Ireland who can't travel over to watch them play weekly aren't proper fans either? You've certainly won the award of the most unpopular opinion anyway :rolleyes:

The funny thing is that I travel to a lot of GAA games for club and county every year, home and away, and I wouldn't consider myself near as big of a fan either of those.

Out of interest, do you consider yourself as big a fan of Milan as a season ticket holder from the city who goes to all their games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

drumswan wrote: »
    Out of interest, do you consider yourself as big a fan of Milan as a season ticket holder from the city who goes to all their games?

Why would that matter?

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Why would that matter?

This is a discussion forum, I'm interested in the guys opinion...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

drumswan wrote: »

If you love the club to the same level and really really want a season ticket but its not actually possible for you to get or use one then you are the same level of fan as that season ticket holder. There are probably season ticket holders who don't even like the club as much as you, I know someone who owns 2 arsenal season tickets, lives in London and doesn't actively support the club.

Really, financial means and geographical location are a silly and very illogical way to gauge how fanatical somebody is about something when fanaticism itself is a purely psychological phenomena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If you love the club to the same level and really really want a season ticket but its not actually possible for you to get or use one then you are the same level of fan as that season ticket holder. There are probably season ticket holders who don't even like the club as much as you, I know someone who owns 2 arsenal season tickets, lives in London and doesn't actively support the club.

Really, financial means and geographical location are a silly and very illogical way to gauge how fanatical somebody is about something when fanaticism itself is a purely psychological phenomena.

I was going to make that point too. Are guys with premium box season tickets eating prawn sandwiches and mingling hardcore supporters? If they go to every game and watch every minute but don't cheer or sing and just politely clap, yet spend tens of thousands on tickets each year, are they hardcore supporters?

I don't agree that all season ticket holders are the same level of fan. I'd prefer to watch in a pub than do what a lot of my teams' season ticket holders do, especially the ones that put the most money in. Looks like no craic

If you love the club to the same level and really really want a season ticket but its not actually possible for you to get or use one then you are the same level of fan as that season ticket holder.
    Im sorry, but you simply are not.

To compare a guy who is probably the third generation of a family to go and stand on the curva among his friends and peers, who is from that place, who shares common language, history, social, political and religious outlook with the guy standing beside him to some fellow watching on TV on his own thousands of miles away is laughable. When you stand on a terrace every week you stand with your brothers. Football is support is tribal in nature.

Irish barstoolers are so far removed from the football supporter experience they dont actually know what it is.

If you love the club to the same level and really really want a season ticket but its not actually possible for you to get or use one then you are the same level of fan as that season ticket holder.

Honestly, this is Disney 'when you wish upon a star' type ****etalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is it coincidence that LoI fans are normally the ones who hold an extreme view of what a fan is?

It's like they have to justify their support of the sh*te served up.

'I don't go because I enjoy it...I do it because I am a real fan'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There should be a line in the UN Charter for Human Rights stating that people should be able to support whom ever they like to which ever degree they like and enjoy the experience without questions and harassment from others

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Is it coincidence that LoI fans are normally the ones who hold an extreme view of what a fan is?

It's like they have to justify their support of the sh*te served up.

'I don't go because I enjoy it...I do it because I am a real fan'.

Well no. Match going Premiership/Bundesliga/La Liga fans usually feel the same way.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Here's my unpopular opinion, real football fans don't feel the need to have a superiority complex because they live close to a stadium and have the money or means to attend matches every week, they'd rather just talk about football like the vast majority of people I meet every time I have attended a game in England or Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This world cup is not nearly as good as people are making it out to be. Apart from a few opening games, the matches have been slow, torrid affairs ended by the odd goal. The 4 semi finslists could be predicted by anyone barring maybe spains collapse. For example, myself and 3 friends, 2 of which had to be reminded that the world cup was soccer this year, not rugby, each picked a winner with a small wager at the start. Each team picked, are still in the competition.

The winner is impossible to predict as every team is playing badly. The temperature and humidity is wearing the players down thus the quality is gradually getting worse and worse.

Are you serious ?
    Do people really think rugby when they hear World Cup ?

Advertisement