Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU - Buy adaptors or bite the bullet

Options
  • 26-06-2014 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey guys

Recently spent a shed load of money on a new gaming rig.
    Got fairly distracted but starting building it up and got it working to a degree.

Ran into the issue where the bloody PSU i bought doesn't have a single PCI-E cable on it.
    Now I bought the computer case which came bundled with a 500W PSU. In my rush of buying it I didn't even think to check what cables came with it :(

EV
    Apline 500W PSU
    24 pin; 4 Pin (12V); 2 x Sata; 3 x 4 pin; 1 x FDD

So at the moment it goes like this the
    2 sata cables are used by the SSD and HDD
    1 4 pin for the 6PCI-e to molex adaptor which came with the GPU

Now the options of continuing with this seem bleak and as i write this I'm siding more with the stop being an idiot and get a proper PSU.
    Here are the peripheral pieces which I'm using on the computer.

-- EVGA GeForce GTX 760 1072MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI SuperClocked w/ ACX Cooler
    -- Intel 240GB 730 Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive
    -- Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive
    -- Samsung 24x SH-224DB DVD-RW SATA OEM

So sorry for the jumbled post but to summarise
    1a: Is it worth buying adaptors to the 2 remaining 4 pin molex to try and power this computer up.
    1b: If i do go the route of buying the adaptors am i risking the PSU either supplying too much or too little juice to the peripheral pieces

2: If you guys had to buy a PSU to fit these needs , which one would you buy (amazon preferably ) ? Obviously the cheaper the better but I've been stung by going cheap so it's not as high a priority as it was before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

You have some nice components and have a very poor psu.Don't waste money on adapters for that psu.Get a better brand as cheap ones can blow and take out your nice and shiny new parts.

The corsair builder series are good for the money (Amazon stock them).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pages

Yeah when i was picking the pieces I just bought the case cause i liked the look of it was going with a red/black theme :/

Just looking at the PSU's on amazon and most seem to only have either a 6 pin PCI or a 6+2. Just wondering if you or anyone out there knows of a specific model which comes with both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That alpine PSU is absolutely garbage. Attempt to run a card off that and the supply will probably burst into flames.

In my eyes, a decent 'cheap' psu is around the 35-40 euro mark. Those Alpine PSU's are literally about 13 euro.

This one is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pages

ha !

Ended up buying Corsair CX750 Builder Series CX 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU.
    Seems to be mid range and has more than what i need.

Thanks for all the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pages wrote: »
    ha !

Ended up buying Corsair CX750 Builder Series CX 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU.
    Seems to be mid range and has more than what i need.

Thanks for all the help :)

Total overkill to be honest - sledgehammer to crack a nut type thing (I'd say your system will draw about 350-380w under 100% load), but better that than another piece of junk :)

You should get a tenner for your old power supply on adverts.ie :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Edit your order to a 500 or 550w and save a few quid

Advertisement