Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Injured Herring Gull

• 26-06-2014 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

On my way in to work today I spotted an adult herring gull with a broken wing on the pavement. I managed to get it in my car boot where it currently is, but was wondering if the local vets would be the best place for him or is there anywhere more suitable. Based in Balbriggan, North County Dublin. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Further to my post above, I rang the local vet and he said that all they would do is put it to sleep. So at the moment that's the only option, which I suppose is preferable to leaving it with its wing broken but I haven't taken it to the vets yet. Is there any bird specific facility out there that may take it in with a view to trying to fix the wing rather than put it to sleep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Further to my post above, I rang the local vet and he said that all they would do is put it to sleep. So at the moment that's the only option, which I suppose is preferable to leaving it with its wing broken but I haven't taken it to the vets yet. Is there any bird specific facility out there that may take it in with a view to trying to fix the wing rather than put it to sleep?

In most cases like this,I will always say contact the Kildare Animal Foundation:
    http://animalfoundation.ie/.
    It's a bit away from you,but they may be able to advise where to bring this bird.
    Good luck.

Bonedigger wrote: »
    In most cases like this,I will always say contact the Kildare Animal Foundation:
    http://animalfoundation.ie/.
    It's a bit away from you,but they may be able to advise where to bring this bird.
    Good luck.

Thanks for that Bonedigger. I tried both numbers but no luck. Ill keep trying though. I don't really mind where I have to go with him if someone is willing to attempt to fix the wing, sure its only a bit of petrol.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Thanks for that Bonedigger. I tried both numbers but no luck. Ill keep trying though. I don't really mind where I have to go with him if someone is willing to attempt to fix the wing, sure its only a bit of petrol.

They're always extremely busy,but more so at this time of year,so do keep ringing.If it was a smaller bird,I wouldn't have been confident anything much could be done with it,but with a large bird like a Gull,there's always hope that it can be helped.

Bonedigger wrote: »
    They're always extremely busy,but more so at this time of year,so do keep ringing.If it was a smaller bird,I wouldn't have been confident anything much could be done with it,but with a large bird like a Gull,there's always hope that it can be helped.

Thanks again Bonedigger. Got through to them since and they've agreed to take him. I'll be dropping him in later on and hopefully they can patch him up. Will keep you posted.

• Advertisement

That's excellent Thundercat - well done!
    I can't think of anywhere better he/she could go,to be honest.They do wonderful work there.
    I'll look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Advertisement