Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house and PPS Number

Options
  • 26-06-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

I moving to Co Mayo hopefully in September on completion of my UK house sale. My solicitor has offered to apply for our PPS Numbers for a charge of 100 euros each because he says that without one this will delay the purchase completion. However on the Irishlinks website they advise against paying anyone to do this for you as it relatively simply.

Does it sound like the solicitor justs want extra money and will the purchase be affected without a PPS Number?

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

MedusaV8 wrote: »
    Does it sound like the solicitor justs want extra money and will the purchase be affected without a PPS Number?
    In that it can't complete to registration without the Revenue obligations being dealt with, yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You need a pps number if you are moving here anyway.
    You can apply for it free. Call Welfare and ask
    http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Personal-Public-Service-Number-How-to-Apply.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭MedusaV8

Thanks for the quick responses.

I've made an enquiry with the Welfare.ie but just waiting for a reply. I don't know how I can prove and Irish address if I haven't bought my house yet. it appears to be a catch22 :/ and I don't want to pay for something that is unnecessary that I can do for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

have you family in Ireland use theirs- It does not need to be a perm address to apply for a pps

have you family in Ireland use theirs- It does not need to be a perm address to apply for a pps

Mmmmh! Good idea. I have family in Co Wexford.

• Advertisement

Sorry but this has just occurred to me. Although not born in Ireland I did move to Co Wexford in 1972 as a child (Mam is Irish) and left again in 1983. Will I have an old Revenue and Social Insurance Number (RSI No) recorded with Welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

MedusaV8 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick responses.

I've made an enquiry with the Welfare.ie but just waiting for a reply. I don't know how I can prove and Irish address if I haven't bought my house yet.

You don't need to. They have a way of issuing numbers to people who are not yet resident, but purchasing a house here. I don't know details of the procedure, but am sure (from stuff I saw in a previous job) that it exists. Keep digging with the Welfare website - and possibly with the Revenue one, the advice is there somewhere.

Or you could pay your solicitor's (very high IMHO) fee to do the work for you.

Me .. I'd be doing the research.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You don't need to. They have a way of issuing numbers to people who are not yet resident, but purchasing a house here. I don't know details of the procedure, but am sure (from stuff I saw in a previous job) that it exists. Keep digging with the Welfare website - and possibly with the Revenue one, the advice is there somewhere.

Or you could pay your solicitor's (very high IMHO) fee to do the work for you.

Me .. I'd be doing the research.
    Here's the relevant info from the Revenue.

There are very good reasons why the solicitor would want to manage the application process and the €100 quoted would not be one of them.

Robbo wrote: »
    Here's the relevant info from the Revenue.

There are very good reasons why the solicitor would want to manage the application process and the €100 quoted would not be one of them.

Wow perfect!! Thank you that really helps. :)

Advertisement