Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which charity shop should i bring to??

• 26-06-2014 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭

have done a house clearout, which charity shop should i bring to?
    mostly toys, books, dvds and some household bits.
    the only one i know of is the one on thomas street. is there any that i could park right outside to bring stuff in as it would be a couple of trips to and from the car id say. is there anything that they dont tend to take?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

have done a house clearout, which charity shop should i bring to?
    mostly toys, books, dvds and some household bits.
    the only one i know of is the one on thomas street. is there any that i could park right outside to bring stuff in as it would be a couple of trips to and from the car id say. is there anything that they dont tend to take?

Might I suggest Limerick Animal Welfare on William Street. They are amazingly grateful for anything you bring in. I brought stuff into other shops on the same street and they'd almost grunt at you when you bring stuff in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

do they take most things do you know? where exactly are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'd agree with Future Guy. The only thing I'd add is that you only bring stuff that's in good condition that they can sell. I'm not suggesting you'd offload stuff to avoid putting it in your bin but some people do. You wouldn't believe the sort of crap that people put in bags. Everything from used toothbrushes, dirty underwear and pretty much everything in between, then it costs the charities money to have the rubbish disposed of:mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Might I suggest Limerick Animal Welfare on William Street. They are amazingly grateful for anything you bring in. I brought stuff into other shops on the same street and they'd almost grunt at you when you bring stuff in!

I can definitely concur with that, both with them being grateful and some of the others being unbelievably nonchalant. After bringing some stuff to them a few months ago I wouldn't bother supporting the others.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

do they take most things do you know? where exactly are they?

Yes, so long as its sellable. They'll take ALL clothes though once they are clean (except underwear). If it's unsellable due to wear/tear, they can sell it on in bulk to those places who give money per kilo of clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

no everything is sellable. i have a charity shop pile and a dump pile so wont be giving them rubbish.
    will go with limerick animal welfare shop so, would pi$$ me off if i went to one of the others and they werent grateful
    thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

would pi$$ me off if i went to one of the others and they werent grateful

Just on this. 90%+ of the time you are dealing with a person who is a volunteer. Someone who gives 4-12 hours of their week every single week as a donation to the charity. While ideally they should absolutely convey the gratitude of the charity to those donating goods, you have to bear in mind that they aren't necessarily professionals, just fellow donors. It's also a fact that quite a lot of the time, people volunteer in charity shops as part of a therapy programme for dealing with a social disorder and those people don't always find it very easy to convey the social niceties that most of us expect from those in the service industry.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I think it's worth pointing out for the OP, that any electrical good can be recycled for free at a recycle centre.

Clothes/linen can actually go in the recycle bin (I checked). I see people through used t-shirts that nobody would buy into a charity clothing bin at bottle banks. These can be recycled. If you think about it, cotton is recyclable (or at least the recycle bags allows it). Check with your bin company beforehand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mr. G wrote: »
    Clothes/linen can actually go in the recycle bin (I checked). I see people through used t-shirts that nobody would buy into a charity clothing bin at bottle banks. These can be recycled. If you think about it, cotton is recyclable (or at least the recycle bags allows it). Check with your bin company beforehand though.

In any other circumstances you should never, ever give unsaleable items to a charity shop but they can actually sell unusable clothing to recycling companies. They don't make a lot of money for it, about €1.50 for a large black sack, but it actually adds up over the course of a year to a sizeable portion of a shop's income, as a huge amount of donations are unsaleable. If I have such clothing to get rid of, I bag it separately to my other donations, mark it as 'rags' and check with the person on the counter that they have a rag collection and let them know that some of my donation is only fit for it. That way the crappy clothing can do some good but the volunteer doing the sorting is spared the effort of checking through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I almost forgot, Limerick Feral Cats charity have a stall on the indoor Sunday market out by Tesco at Coonagh, they could always use donations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

what about the milford hospice shop.

Advertisement