Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Single life as a guy...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Putting your dating strategy on the fact that you own a BMW and flashing the cash is the ultimate expression of style over substance in my opinion. Women tend to run a mile from this kind of behaviour I've found.

Lordy.... Sense the tone... sheezz.

I am supposedly a "catch", yes I have many women wanting to date me. Alas, I am happy single.

Growing up with friends that "had it all", me as the quiet genuine guy was always overlooked... poor me..;) Please do not tell me you think money is never a driving (excuse the pun) factor in some womens decisions??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

NSAman wrote: »
    Flies around Honey!!! Flies around honey!!

Still single and loving it..;)

Well my point was really are they actually after you, or just your fancy car and bank account / career prospects?

If the latter, then they are the kind of women you don't want (unless you do, for some reason...).

If they are into you for you, then what does it matter what you drive like?!

I can go on as many dates as I have time for, but my car is 15 years old. It's looks + personality for me really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Lordy.... Sense the tone... sheezz.

I am supposedly a "catch", yes I have many women wanting to date me. Alas, I am happy single.

Growing up with friends that "had it all", me as the quiet genuine guy was always overlooked... poor me..;) Please do not tell me you think money is never a driving (excuse the pun) factor in some womens decisions??? :)

Your attitude actually epitomises everything that women have told me that they detest about men when dating, in particular: arrogance, lack of substance & depth, big cócky attitude, as a previous female poster has said, these things are actually a huge turn off for most women, the exception being the gold digger types who would frequent a particular social circle that you seem to enjoy mixing with, and that is probably teh only type that you are attracting.

I'm single and happily single too, have absolutely no problem getting a date any night of the week, I don't need a BMW to get it though! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

riveratom wrote: »
    Well my point was really are they actually after you, or just your fancy car and bank account / career prospects?

If the latter, then they are the kind of women you don't want (unless you do, for some reason...).

If they are into you for you, then what does it matter what you drive like?!

I can go on as many dates as I have time for, but my car is 15 years old. It's looks + personality for me really.

Money provides stability. If you lost your looks would you attract the same women?
    Edit: We all have factors when choosing a partner. Its only a problem if its the only reason youre with someone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Your attitude actually epitomises everything that women have told me that they detest about men when dating, in particular: arrogance, lack of substance & depth, big cócky attitude, as a previous female poster has said, these things are actually a huge turn off for most women, the exception being the gold digger types who would frequent a particular social circle that you seem to enjoy mixing with, and that is probably teh only type that you are attracting.

mod note - Attack the post not the poster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I think some of you are very misled about how much women care about what a potential partner drives. I drive a nicer car than pretty much everyone I've dated recently. I doubt very much this was an attracting factor for any of the blokes in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I think some of you are very misled about how much women care about what a potential partner drives. I drive a nicer car than pretty much everyone I've dated recently. I doubt very much this was an attracting factor for any of the blokes in question.

It's not every woman, it's just some women. Just like it's some men who care very much what the world thinks and then others couldn't give a toss. There are women out there that will drop you like a ton of spuds once they find out that you don't have that many assets or don't have a nice car. These exact same women can also be pests when you do have something nice that they'd like to experience.

When you're a younger man with less experience it can be tough to be turned down by such individuals because you don't have money or a car but as you get a little older and wiser(hopefully) you realise outside of sexual attraction (which mightn't be great after 5 minutes) they've very little going for them.

These people tend to pair off with men just like themselves. But every once and awhile they can cross your path and can be very persistent...if you have Something of value. Car/Celebrity/A nice holiday home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

I find big car loans a major turn off. Poor priorities. I don't know how anyone thinks forking out forty grand on a new golf is a good idea. But there you are.

I'm single and happily single too, have absolutely no problem getting a date any night of the week, I don't need a BMW to get it though! ;)

WHOOOOoooooosh!!

Potatoeman wrote: »
    Money provides stability. If you lost your looks would you attract the same women?
    Edit: We all have factors when choosing a partner. Its only a problem if its the only reason youre with someone.

Well that's what I mean, that's why I was asking were they into him or his money. Nothing wrong with wanting stability, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

At the moment it doesn't bother me. But, I wouldn't like to go through life without having kids.

Well that's what I mean, that's why I was asking were they into him or his money. Nothing wrong with wanting stability, that's for sure.

I suppose its whats important to you. I dont see it as much different from just being with someone because of their looks. Personality obviousily is important but I would hope that you would get to know who you are dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 amie91

Can somebody tell me how I post a thread on this? Ive just set this up and don't know what I am doing ha ?

Thank youuu

:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eh... you just did post on the thread. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Think she means a new thread.

Go to the relevant forum and click new thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

It's not every woman, it's just some women. Just like it's some men who care very much what the world thinks and then others couldn't give a toss. There are women out there that will drop you like a ton of spuds once they find out that you don't have that many assets or don't have a nice car. These exact same women can also be pests when you do have something nice that they'd like to experience.

When you're a younger man with less experience it can be tough to be turned down by such individuals because you don't have money or a car but as you get a little older and wiser(hopefully) you realise outside of sexual attraction (which mightn't be great after 5 minutes) they've very little going for them.

These people tend to pair off with men just like themselves. But every once and awhile they can cross your path and can be very persistent...if you have Something of value. Car/Celebrity/A nice holiday home.

tbf....they would be much of a loss from your life

tbf....they would be much of a loss from your life
    I will say that these individuals aren't really a problem, they pair off with each other generally. However when someone young is snapped up by one of these types it leads to a lot of misery down the road.

I personally only know of one case but he works very long hours and she still complains that they only have the one overseas holiday a year. They went to the US last year for 2 weeks and had two breaks in the UK, but the UK breaks didn't count because...well it's the UK.

I personally only know of one case but he works very long hours and she still complains that they only have the one overseas holiday a year. They went to the US last year for 2 weeks and had two breaks in the UK, but the UK breaks didn't count because...well it's the UK.

In cases like that I would actually blame him more than her - for standing for it at all.

In cases like that I would actually blame him more than her - for standing for it at all.

Well she's still good looking and he looks tired. I think it goes back to not wanting to be alone. Some people will do anything to stay in/be in a relationship.

• Advertisement

Bit of victim blaming going on there! Sometimes a partner will put up with alot before finally seeing reason.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Bit of victim blaming going on there! Sometimes a partner will put up with alot before finally seeing reason.

Not really. Depends on the facts of the situation but I think the corollary of that could be one person letting the other get away with what they shouldn't be getting away with.

Any single guys out there turned into domestic gods?

Not really. Depends on the facts of the situation but I think the corollary of that could be one person letting the other get away with what they shouldn't be getting away with.
    Some people have personalities that allow others to walk over them/treat them as a doormat/abuse them/cheat on them/nag them constantly/bleed money out of them. I would think it more appropriate to blame the aggressor in these situations rather than the victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

ryanf1 wrote: »

I am the King of my Domain.

I don't need a woman to continue my successful existence

Some people have personalities that allow others to walk over them/treat them as a doormat/abuse them/cheat on them/nag them constantly/bleed money out of them. I would think it more appropriate to blame the aggressor in these situations rather than the victim.

Of course it is wrong for the aggressor to act that way, but then what? In this case the guy might finally jettison the girl, maybe try to avoid the same thing happening again - until it does. They are both to blame, but if it keeps happening, I think the victim has to look at why. Otherwise it's just going to keep happening. Being a victim helps nobody.

• Advertisement

I am the King of my Domain.

I don't need a woman to continue my successful existence

Damned right!!!!!

I can iron clean and hoover better than any woman I know...;)

Damned right!!!!!

I can iron clean and hoover better than any woman I know...;)

Im sensing a little touch of OCD :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Organised Crime Division? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

I agree.

It's the whole guys like bitches and girls like assholes rubbish so it's their own fault. He doesn't put up with it because he likes it he puts up with it because he is nice.

He does not think in his head oh I know I think I will invite misery into my life. He thinks he should do these things because it is the right thing to do. Some men and women will try to always be the better person.

Me? NEVER!!!..;)

I live in a small tidy and clean environment (cannot live in clutter). My neighbours (two nurses) are renting and had a problem with their heating. the knock at the door came and a request to see how the boiler worked. so I obliged and went into their place only to be confronted by knickers strewn across the floor, dishes everywhere, every surface covered in clothing/make-up etc...

Anyhow, I was shocked that two women would live in such disarray.

Upon showing them how everything worked, I went back home. One came over again to thank me, as i was having coffee, I invited her in. She took one look at my place and asked "who is your cleaner? We have a cleaner twice a week, but the place always looks dirty".... Guess who bit his tongue??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anyhow, I was shocked that two women would live in such disarray.

Back in the day, I used to work in a hotel. The owner's daughter asked me one day to periodically check the male toilets. Upon seeing my crestfallen face, she told me I was lucky not to be checking the ladies instead.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lou.m wrote: »
    It's the whole guys like bitches and girls like assholes rubbish so it's their own fault. He doesn't put up with it because he likes it he puts up with it because he is nice.
    IMHO this is a well dodgy way to approach this. Nice does not equal doormat. Victim does not equal trying to be the better person. That kinda thinking puts people in unhealthy relationships and keeps them there. Love most certainly doesn't conquer all.

They put up with it for various reasons, low self esteem, relationship patterns formed in youth, even laziness. It's easier to stay in an unhealthy situation because it's what they're used to. It's perversely comfortable. They also stay because they see little alternative. Where would they go to if they left. Add in esteem issues and that's a perfect storm for an abusive relationship.
    riveratom wrote:
    Of course it is wrong for the aggressor to act that way, but then what? In this case the guy might finally jettison the girl, maybe try to avoid the same thing happening again - until it does. They are both to blame, but if it keeps happening, I think the victim has to look at why.
    Aye, but that can be easier said than done RT. A lifetime building up a worldview doesn't just fade overnight. It might seem obvious to outsiders that someone follows an unhealthy pattern in their relationships, that they're the common denominator, the thread running through different relationships, but most of the time the person doesn't even see a pattern and if they do they explain it away as something else. The sad joke is the abused need an abuser and abusers have a sixth sense for spotting and targeting those they know will accept abuse, even see it as normal.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭iptba

There was talk earlier in the thread about some women not working after they marry. Also, about women being financially dependent on men and how that might affect divorce settlements.

Here are some recent figures from the Central Statistics Office on this:
    Men worked an average of 39.2 hours a week in paid employment in 2013 compared to 31.2 hours for women and married men worked longer hours than married women, with close to half of married men (44.1%) working for 40 hours a week or more compared to just 16.8% of married women. (Tables 2.1, 2.8 and 2.9).
    Principal Economic Status: Men were more likely to be in the labour force than women in Ireland in 2013, with just under seven out of ten men aged 15 and over at work or unemployed compared to half of women. More than 98% of those who were looking after home/family in 2013 were women, with close to half a million women looking after home/family compared to only 8,700 men. (Table 3.1).

http://www.cso.ie/en/newsandevents/pressreleases/2014pressreleases/pressreleasewomenandmeninireland2013

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

Oh yeah, that's me.

I'm currently looking for new digs and the kitchen is a pretty high priority on my list, in that it needs to have a lot more than a tiny worktop and a gas stove.

I cook for myself every day and sometimes for my parents, too. Very enjoyable and a great way to spend an afternoon/evening. As I lived far away from home for over 10 years I had to learnt to cook/clean/iron for myself. Best domestic training you can get.

The independence is fantastic.

Oh yeah, that's me.

I'm currently looking for new digs and the kitchen is a pretty high priority on my list, in that it needs to have a lot more than a tiny worktop and a gas stove.

I cook for myself every day and sometimes for my parents, too. Very enjoyable and a great way to spend an afternoon/evening. As I lived far away from home for over 10 years I had to learnt to cook/clean/iron for myself. Best domestic training you can get.

The independence is fantastic.

Nigella?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭LiveIsLife

SpaceTime wrote: »
    My biggest issue is that my friends are mostly abroad now.

I'm probably going to follow.

A big thanks to Bertie, the FF lads and the banks for destroying my social life BTW! I'm sure all your mates are probably still around.

There's genuinely a very large number of mid 20s-30s people just gone. If you're still in college you mightn't really notice it as dramatically.

I've noticed this, especially in rural areas. Most of my close friends have gone abroad and a large number from school. Less so from college, but they're spread around the country. Have plans in place to go abroad myself now.
    Wibbs wrote: »

Even so as you say in most cases the man suffers the aftermath more. Divorced men live shorter lives, have three times the suicide rate and that's before the whole divvying up of the shared property and visitation comes into play. Again it can be cultural too. If I was an American man IMHOI'd want my head examined to get married. With a 50% chance of her divorcing me, never mind the remaining 50% some of whom would be in bad marriages, it would be like playing Russian Roulette with 4 chambers loaded. Bad risk.

I remember reading about this before, the headline rate is shockingly high, but if you control for certain factors it brings the rate down. Something like if the couple both work, are college educated and get married later, the divorce rate comes down to around 20%
    That does appear to be an Irish thing. The wedding will solve the problems we have, the new house will solve the problems we have, a Baby will solve the problems we have, Okay it was a boy, a baby Girl will solve the problems we have. 5 years down the line and you can see the mess some people sleepwalk into.
    I think this is a general thing, probably worldwide. I know in terms of confidence a lot of the time its a case of 'If I get this job then..' but when the job is got there's something else or the job isn't good enough.

My own situation, I've never been in a long term relationship at the age of 25. Wasn't something that bothered me before until about a years ago when I got lonely for a while. I was always happy single in college, 2 girls in retrospect I maybe should have went a little further with and see what happened.
    Working for a few years I never really thought about it, but then I became unemployed and it was then that the loneliness kicked in. I think it was more a case when things were ok I took it for granted that I'd meet someone and settle down when I was ready. When you're unemployed it just eats away at your confidence and its hard to see how you'd meet someone or what you'd bring to a relationship, so I think a bit of 'wanting what you can't have' came into play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Life for me as a single guy right now
    There is this girl that Im into and know is into me, Ive known her for two months everytime were together on a night out there is sparks and for some ****ed up reason I cant make the moves on her. Havent even got her number thats how bad I have been.
    It really really sucks:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

astonaidan wrote: »
    There is this girl that Im into and know is into me, Ive known her for two months everytime were together on a night out there is sparks and for some ****ed up reason I cant make the moves on her. Havent even got her number thats how bad I have been.

Facebook her, perhaps?

Two months is a dangerously long time, man. I would be seriously advising you to make a direct move as soon as possible. Especially if you know she likes you too.

Easier said than done, I know, but you'll regret not doing it more. I've gone through phases of being quite passive, and for sure it is something that I have to consciously work on, but its definitely to your betterment if you do.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Knex. wrote: »
    Facebook her, perhaps?

Two months is a dangerously long time, man. I would be seriously advising you to make a direct move as soon as possible. Especially if you know she likes you too.

Easier said than done, I know, but you'll regret not doing it more. I've gone through phases of being quite passive, and for sure it is something that I have to consciously work on, but its definitely to your betterment if you do.

Best of luck :)
    Oh I know being passive is never a good idea, could get her number of her in less than two seconds,tbh Im 99% certain I could get with her in a heart beat.
    Im just being a absolute bitch about it and have no idea why
    Christ were both moving to Canada in two months its not like theres even a ahh sure shes emigrating soon frickin reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Oh I know being passive is never a good idea, could get her number of her in less than two seconds,tbh Im 99% certain I could get with her in a heart beat.
    Im just being a absolute bitch about it and have no idea why
    Christ were both moving to Canada in two months its not like theres even a ahh sure shes emigrating soon frickin reason

Maybe hold off until you see what Canada has to offer. Dem dare Canadian women are fine!!

• Advertisement

I'd nearly ask her to be your wing-woman in Canada, in a joking way, and gauge her reaction. Tell her ye can discuss tactics over a few drinks.

Right there, you have an excuse to ask her on a date, and you're straight onto the topic of you and women. You can then move that towards telling her that you fancy the pants off her :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

I'd nearly ask her to be your wing-woman in Canada, in a joking way, and gauge her reaction. Tell her ye can discuss tactics over a few drinks.
    I don't think that's a good suggestion at all - you'd be planting her firmly in the friendzone if you say that to her

realgirl wrote: »
    I don't think that's a good suggestion at all - you'd be planting her firmly in the friendzone if you say that to her

Nah, you really wouldn't. Not unless you actually went through with it, but that's not the idea at all. Even then though, I wouldn't think it would stop her from liking him, certainly not if she already did.

Its playful, and it will throw her a little. But like I say, you gauge her reaction, and then you step it up and let her know that you fancy her.

The only way you'd friendzone her, is if you say that, leave it there, and never actually carry through to the 2nd part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

Nah, you really wouldn't. Not unless you actually went through with it, but that's not the idea at all. Even then though, I wouldn't think it would stop her from liking him, certainly not if she already did.

Its playful, and it will throw her a little. But like I say, you gauge her reaction, and then you step it up and let her know that you fancy her.

The only way you'd friendzone her, is if you say that, leave it there, and never actually carry through to the 2nd part.
    That sounds like mixed messages and messing with her head to me. If a guy I liked said that to me, I would immediately think it was his way of letting me know he didn't want anything to happen between us. If he then let on he liked me, I would be confused and headwrecked, possibly enough for it to put me off him cos I don't want to be with someone who is going to cause me headwreck.I'm sure it could possibly work out with some women...but it would be a turn off to many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

realgirl wrote: »
    That sounds like mixed messages and messing with her head to me. If a guy I liked said that to me, I would immediately think it was his way of letting me know he didn't want anything to happen between us. If he then let on he liked me, I would be confused and headwrecked, possibly enough for it to put me off him cos I don't want to be with someone who is going to cause me headwreck.I'm sure it could possibly work out with some women...but it would be a turn off to many

I agree, nothing worse than mixed signals...

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wivy

OMG! go for it!
    how often does 'the spark' happen between two people? rarely!
    yeah there will be 'hot' women in canada but nothing will top that spark!
    go for it or you'll regret it my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Minimix

Pug160 wrote: »
    Just regarding people who seem to be eternally single: I'm not sure if it's quite as rare as some people imagine. One my friends is in a serious relationship for the first time and he's 32. I have another friend who's similar and I myself have yet to be in a long term relationship, and I'm only slightly younger at almost 30. It could be a case of birds of a feather flock together but even still, I do wonder if this notion that it's extremely rare is accurate. I'm tempted to ask my friend how his girlfriend reacted when she found out he had never been in a relationship before, but it's a personal question so I'm not sure whether I will or not.

I've been lucky enough in that I haven't had too much pressure or expectation put onto me like some people. Others aren't that fortunate it seems.

Just reading this thread and came across this comment which I find interesting. As a female nearly 30 in the same boat only that I have yet to meet someone, I find it good to know there are others who are/were in the same boat.

My only problem is, when I meet guys and start chatting usually the question arises of how long you're single. When I answer honestly I get asked why?

I don't know why. Men seem to find it a turn off in my experience.

Minimix wrote: »
    Just reading this thread and came across this comment which I find interesting. As a female nearly 30 in the same boat only that I have yet to meet someone, I find it good to know there are others who are/were in the same boat.

My only problem is, when I meet guys and start chatting usually the question arises of how long you're single. When I answer honestly I get asked why?

I don't know why. Men seem to find it a turn off in my experience.

I have never asked that in casual conversation. Are you single sure but how long? You would need to know some better to get that personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭fergie24

Its funny while on about conversations, having recently come out of a ltr which was also long distance two months ago and finding myself 33, single i have headed back out socialising on the weekends and of course trying to chat up women which has been long time for me in doing so or being approached and chatted up by women.

With in five minutes of chatting i get asked am i married, have i ever been married, have i kids, have i a girlfriend. When i say no to all its followed do i drive a nice car :)

Is this the norm with women chatting to a 33 year old guy these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Minimix

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I have never asked that in casual conversation. Are you single sure but how long? You would need to know some better to get that personal.

I thought that too but I have been asked that on more than one occasion

Advertisement