Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuam Babies Memorial

Options
  • 26-06-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

I am told that there is an artists impression of the planned Tuam Babies Memorial.
    Has anyone seen this.?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

No I haven't but the documentary on TV3 tonight was good.

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/635/0/0/A-Secret-Buried

Does anyone else get the impression that Galway people would prefer if this story went away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Does anyone else get the impression that Galway people would prefer if this story went away?

I have noticed this myself. I think there is still of culture of "hush hush, dont be talking about that" - not just in Galway but throughout Ireland. Some people don't want Ireland embarrassed any further. To my mind, unless we face up to the horrors of our recent past, they will continue to haunt us. These homes and institutions were operating while our parents and grandparents were alive so it cant be easy to acknowledge that very little was done to help these poor mothers and babies when they needed it most largely because of fear of the church and the "hide it from the neighbours" mentality. We Irish have issues! No wonder Freud said the Irish are the only people who are impervious to psychoanalysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭SalthillGuy

I see there is a website for the Tuam Babies memorial project.
    A CD was launched over the week-end and the CD is being given as a reward for any donation on a crowdfunding website.
    The CD was done by Tuam native Paul Keating. Very well put together.
    There is a clip from the CD here - iCrowdFund

Advertisement