Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iMac or Mac Mini?

• 26-06-2014 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

Just looking for opinions on which is the better buy? I was in PC world asking but the guy I was asking said iMac based only on the iMac looks nicer.. I'm not interested in how nice it looks, I just want to know the most practical decision

And I'd prefer no "buy a windows because Mac is ****e and apple is a corrupt company lol"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Just looking for opinions on which is the better buy? I was in PC world asking but the guy I was asking said iMac based only on the iMac looks nicer.. I'm not interested in how nice it looks, I just want to know the most practical decision

And I'd prefer no "buy a windows because Mac is ****e and apple is a corrupt company lol"

I have a Mac mini and love it. My reason behind choosing it over the iMac was because I couldn't afford the iMac. It worked out well for me though, because instead of buying a monitor for it I have it hooked up to the TV I use for gaming. Works out well, I can just flick between Mac and PS3 without having to get up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

I have a Mac mini and love it. My reason behind choosing it over the iMac was because I couldn't afford the iMac. It worked out well for me though, because instead of buying a monitor for it I have it hooked up to the TV I use for gaming. Works out well, I can just flick between Mac and PS3 without having to get up.

One of the main reasons for me is the price difference, I don't really want the monitor.. I'd rather spend that on another TV.. If my PS4 and Xbox One can look good on my TV my Mac mini should do fine.. So I'm not crazy because I don't want the overly priced monitor? PC world man seemed to think I was :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The iMac is far better value. You get the screen and more powerful and up-to-date components. The Mini is the bastard stepchild of Apple’s Mac line-up. They never wanted to make it in the first place and are always on the verge of discontinuing it. The current model hasn’t been updated in 2 years. It’s a nice little machine and all, but I’d only recommend it to someone looking for a media centre. Best to get it refurbished or second-hand as well.

The Boards.ie Mac forum is here btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

^^ agreed...the imac is a much nicer machine. Mini is over 2 years old at this stage since it's last refresh.

Blazer wrote: »
    ^^ agreed...the imac is a much nicer machine. Mini is over 2 years old at this stage since it's last refresh.

Like I said I'm not interested in cosmetics..

• Advertisement

The iMac is far better value. You get the screen and more powerful and up-to-date components. The Mini is the bastard stepchild of Apple’s Mac line-up. They never wanted to make it in the first place and are always on the verge of discontinuing it. The current model hasn’t been updated in 2 years. It’s a nice little machine and all, but I’d only recommend it to someone looking for a media centre. Best to get it refurbished or second-hand as well.

The Boards.ie Mac forum is here btw.

I don't buy second hand computers... Too much hassle plus no apple warrenty and getting insurance is impossible as well since 99% of companies will only insure brand new items

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I don't buy second hand computers... Too much hassle plus no apple warrenty and getting insurance is impossible as well since 99% of companies will only insure brand new items
    the items from the refurb store are practly new with usually very little to no use. And I'm pretty sure their is a warrenty with them too

shanec1928 wrote: »
    the items from the refurb store are practly new with usually very little to no use. And I'm pretty sure their is a warrenty with them too

Practically not brand new... Insurance is voided.. I have a baby too so it's safe to assume it might take a fall one day and if I can't insure it I might as well eat the money

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Practically not brand new... Insurance is voided.. I have a baby too so it's safe to assume it might take a fall one day and if I can't insure it I might as well eat the money

no its not. stop talking rubbish.

I've bought a MBA and MBP off the refurb stop and had not issues with warranties/insurance. Infact I split water over the MBP and got it replaced under insurance with no issues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Refurbs come with a one year warranty and the option to extend to 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They are not just refurb'd faulty machines. They can be machine stat they buyer has changed their mind and returned without having even switched on. Rigorously tested before being shipped, but they can't be sold as new again.
    Normal Apple warranty applies, and I've always insured mine under the household policy. Never been asked if it was refurb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Like I said I'm not interested in cosmetics..

I'm talking hardware wise..

godtabh wrote: »
    no its not. stop talking rubbish.

I've bought a MBA and MBP off the refurb stop and had not issues with warranties/insurance. Infact I split water over the MBP and got it replaced under insurance with no issues.

I insured my iPad and iPhone a few weeks ago, right in bold letters were "the item you are insuring must be bought new, less than 24 months old, and you must have proof of purchase"

Refurbs come with a one year warranty and the option to extend to 3 years.

So do brand new ones, I don't like buying things refurb or second hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

So do brand new ones, I don't like buying things refurb or second hand

You know it all already so no need for any advice from me.

bidiots wrote: »
    You know it all already so no need for any advice from me.

I want to buy a new one... And that means I suddenly know it all? My god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

You have received plenty of good advice and options in this thread so far and have shot all down, so yeah, my god!
    I'll keep my advice for someone who really wants it....I have both machines btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭shanec1928

You have received plenty of good advice and options in this thread so far and have shot all down, so yeah, my god!
    Pretty much this!

3 people gave me reasons why I should chose either one the rest were telling me to buy a refurb, doesn't really help to decide, but tell me don't tell me, that's fine.. What I've been told here is the same thing as I was told in PC world.. Buy the iMac because it looks nice..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭marko93

3 people gave me reasons why I should chose either one the rest were telling me to buy a refurb, doesn't really help to decide, but tell me don't tell me, that's fine.. What I've been told here is the same thing as I was told in PC world.. Buy the iMac because it looks nice..

No, you were told the Mini hasn't been updated in years, hardware wise. That the iMac is constantly updated in regards to hardware. You have seemed to ignore that

• Advertisement

marko93 wrote: »
    No, you were told the Mini hasn't been updated in years, hardware wise. That the iMac is constantly updated in regards to hardware. You have seemed to ignore that

I can upgrade it myself, and according to apple they've updated it recently

Would you be prepared to wait until October? Apple usually release Mac updates then and the Mini should be among them. The current Mini was released in October 2012. If you can’t wait, fire away with the current Mini. Apple actually cut the price of it a bit recently. It’s a fine machine, just a bit outdated for the price.

Would you be prepared to wait until October? Apple usually release Mac updates then and the Mini should be among them. The current Mini was released in October 2012. If you can’t wait, fire away with the current Mini. Apple actually cut the price of it a bit recently. It’s a fine machine, just a bit outdated for the price.

If I knew they were going to do it aye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Armonline

I can upgrade it myself, and according to apple they've updated it recently

Never seen someone so annoyed by people trying to give them advice.

In a nutshell,
    You can get a mac mini but you will need to buy or already have a mouse/trackpad, keyboard and monitor and be aware that it has outdated 2012 specs that cant be upgraded to the level of the up-to-date Macs as they have newer faster chipsets.

Or you can get iMac has been recently updated and is an all in one device.

Both are good machines, the choice is up to you based on your budget and how you are using the device. If you have a decent high res screen already it may be cheaper to get an Mac Mini but if you can wait a few months for an update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

untrue - Apple Warranty in 1st year covers anyone in possession of the computer and EU Consumer covers hardware malfunctions for up to 6 years from the retailer (apple or otherwise)

Advertisement