Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will Suarez's ban be? Mod warning in OP and post#455

• 26-06-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Mod warning - post #455

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91013200&postcount=455

I know we've had a few threads on this, but with the announcement expected today I thought it'd be interesting to speculate on the possible length of the ban (assuming there will be one).

Things to consider -

The act itself, the damage and danger caused to the opponent, previous convictions for violent conduct in the World Cup (Pepe's butt was a 1 match ban, Zidane's a two match, Tassotti's nose-breaking elbow a 6-match ban), Suarez's previous misdemeanors, the evidence that violent conduct was committed, Uruguay's denial of any wrongdoing, the fact it is a high profile player and there is a lot of media attention (albeit far greater in Britain than any other country).

Taking they above into account, I would guess that the ban will be 6 matches, although it's very hard to guess. When you look at what Pepe and Zidane got away with it seems pretty lenient from FIFA and it wouldn't surprise me too much to see a ban which could potentially see him play again in this tournament. Uruguay's denials should be taken into account though.

What do you think the ban will be?

Poll to follow

What do you predict the length of Suarez's ban will be? 401 votes

No ban
    0%
    1 match
    11%
    Yakuzagimmickkeano_afcrokmikeymZicod22ontourLister1Tristramdavyccch750536Utopia ParkwayDeadParrotCL7Pedro Monscoochruskincrisco10daingeanrobwillowthewispFrankie Lee 48 votes
    2 matches
    1%
    KeedowahNTCeyescreamconeCrockeddjPSB 5 votes
    3 matches
    1%
    RasTasuper_furryNoelJVanolderPhysick 5 votes
    4 matches
    4%
    Dont be at yourselfzAbboLizardKing[Deleted User][Deleted User]DubDanixtal191DeedsieChesty08Kiwi_knockUnderpaid Mikethe incredible puddingsmileyj1987derm0j073marno21Francie BarrettBMJDCrimson King 18 votes
    5 matches
    4%
    efbChardee MacDenniszarquonPro. FBlackhorse SlimL1m1tlessSmithySellerleonidas83J. MarstonAl CapwnedbucketybuckTombo2001OnTheCouchkieran.EireGregForstalDaveaccap1f8jasoncoylerd 18 votes
    6 matches
    4%
    PacificoArmaniJeanssRoryMacSantryRedhognefderossiDrexelgreendomL8rdudeBowlardoProfessional GrieferInsane RamblingcintecDonnielightoCharlie19alroleyAlan30TheBoss11 18 votes
    7 matches
    8%
    dougalHyzepherb318isprushianGLaDOSabelardRavenidGadgekop-endsimonwirelandroverSM01Morzadecbeardo81danoriordan1402Iang87x43r0GrayditchKnex*The Domonator 36 votes
    8 matches
    0%
    Will I Amnt 1 vote
    9 matches
    4%
    mike65JPAKeith186[Deleted User]Lukker-ciantheodemo72TriggershrewdnessBig Pussy BonpensieroMaximus AlexanderFinkploydYamanotoVolvic12John MongoTangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga BungoLucas Hood 17 votes
    10 matches
    15%
    FenixSandPaulwparasiteAPMbohsboybad2dabone[Deleted User]GrumPyAisling(",)Fuzzy_Dunlopnc19BlowfishCarroller16Dancorhawkwingcallaway92ipnfacegerrybbaddbarneyeile 63 votes
    Over 10 matches
    7%
    gandalfBounty HunterChucky the treeRoddy23DadesjonnyfingersLuckyLloydbullvinemagentisMr. IncognitoHazysHead_HunterNinjaTruncsHunchback[Deleted User]Glebeeshane1981captainwanghotsstorykid 31 votes
    6 month global ban
    15%
    mobbyapplehunterA Dub in GlasgoKeyzerFeidhlimadoxRiesen_MealrobryanmercuromanYouTookMyNameShanotheslayerKenHygebbelAmiraniLaois_ManpaulusduscotchyCorcs001Demosthenesenelly17 63 votes
    12 month global ban
    14%
    BigConZENERsnaps[Deleted User]Brian?Dermo123Ste05HerculeNailzMorporkpatmacShagNastiistesaurusduploelabsmirwillbebackstanley1ROCKMANwandatowellscudzillamenoscemo 57 votes
    18 month global ban
    4%
    branners69Alligator Wineconzypodge79nc6000yayamarkcurry-muffmanladD.QKERSPLAT!Meglamoniabrianregan09Giggsy_ArielAtomFr_Dougalomicronflandabieduzie 17 votes
    24 month global ban
    0%
    Agent Smithash23blaze1Starscream25 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lifetime ban

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think the more important question will be will it be a total ban from football? A world cut ban is a given but the lenght and where it applies is the big question.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

6 month global ban
    Well this thread is gonna be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

7 matches
    He should definitely be banned from boards, anyway. If we can get enough on here to sign a petition, I think the mods need to do what they know is right. He's just causing unrest on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

20 matches from club and international plus 1 year International.

or probably not even close...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

3 matches
    I doubt Fifa can ban him from club matches since Liverpool pay his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

7 matches
    It's ridiculous that the Suarez thread was locked TBH. At the very least it contained the crap that was going on, who cares if LFC and United fans were at each others throats if it's kept away from everything else?

Biggest event in world football and we can't discuss it openly on the soccer forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Over 10 matches
    It's ridiculous that the Suarez thread was locked TBH. At the very least it contained the crap that was going on, who cares if LFC and United fans were at each others throats if it's kept away from everything else?

Biggest event in world football and we can't discuss it openly on the soccer forum.

Yep, huge talking point of the world cup and we're not supposed to discus it...

I think a 10 match international ban is fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

4 matches
    Reckon he'll get a 3 match ban but should be much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

7 matches
    To be clear this is meant to be a prediction poll/thread, rather than what you think should happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

RasTa wrote: »
    I doubt Fifa can ban him from club matches since Liverpool pay his wages.
    They can. Don't think they will, but they have the power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Whatever about Pepe and Zidane they'll have to take into account that this is Suarez's 3rd time doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Over 10 matches
    He only should be banned from International games. It is totally over the top to be talking about a total football ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

6 matches
    It shall be both

a) a sickeningly short ban, little more than a slap on the wrist, which should have been at least double/triple the length, with a miserly fine. It sends out the wrong message to the children, and is proof again that FIFA has lost touch with the people and has lost all moral authority to control the game properly.

b) a ridiculously punitive punishment, totally out of line with previous cases, and proof that FIFA have caved in to pressure from certain vested interests.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Tournament ban

7 matches

I don't think it is the biggest event in world football, and I think this is why the length of the ban might surprise some people. I don't think it's going to be as long as many in the UK and Ireland are expecting.

This is the biggest story in Britain and ireland, nowhere else.

Everywhere else this is a sub story to the drama of the World Cup and the matches unfolding. Most other countries will be talking about Germany and USA today, not Luis Suarez.

Perhaps needs to be taken into account when making a prediction.

This might not be the big deal we think it is across the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

1 match
    Where is the "life in prison" option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

6 month global ban
    Over 10 games total ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

18 month global ban
    Hopefully a three match international ban and he scores a hatrick for Liverpool to win the league on goal difference from both UTD and Chelsea, then we will see a meltdown on boards:D:D:D

• Advertisement

7 matches
    It shall be both

a) a sickeningly short ban, little more than a slap on the wrist, which should have been at least double/triple the length, with a miserly fine. It sends out the wrong message to the children, and is proof again that FIFA has lost touch with the people and has lost all moral authority to control the game properly.

b) a ridiculously punitive punishment, totally out of line with previous cases, and proof that FIFA have caved in to pressure from certain vested interests.

A WC ban for a man in the prime of his life having played two stormers is punishment enough in my eyes.

He won't get another WC chance at the top. Uruguay are through with a very good chance of making the quarter finals. At that stage anything could happen and it would have been Suarez' chance to make his mark as one of the all time greatest strikers.

I think the fact that his tournament is over is more than ample punishment.

7 matches
    It shall be both

So about 5 or 6 games then? ;). The thing is I think you might well be right!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

World Cup and next summer Copa America so what's that?

12 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think he will get 6-8 matches from international football
    I think he should be whipped around every stadium in Brazil for being such a scumbag

7 matches
    Morzadec wrote: »

This might not be the big deal we think it is across the world

I think it is. It affects Barcelona/Madrid and by extension La Liga and Spain as their two biggest clubs were rumoured to be after him. The lack of action by the ref arguably got Italy knocked out, which makes it a huge talking point in that country. It brings the whole lack of retrospective action policy FIFA have under the spotlight and it tests their competency to the very limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The idea of it being a global ban is a joke and tbh probably more wishful thinking from fans of other clubs as it would weaken Liverpool so much.

Maybe just through the rest of the year but wouldn't be surprised if it was for the Copa next year.

I would say it's the min though. It's all about money and Uruguay competitive enough to defend Copa is important for the tournament in terms of global audience.

I think the FIFA motto is 'don't mess with the cash cow, any fuss will blow over'

I mean Klinsmann's clear dive was hugely decisive in the World Cup final nearly a quarter of a century ago and they still haven't gone near that.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

5 matches
    I have a sneaking suspicion that he'll get a much shorter ban than many imagine. Something like four matches at international level. Although this is just a hunch, I also predicted England would reach the semi-finals this time round, so my predictions are not always particularly accurate! :D

If it were purely down to me, I would give him a 12 month global ban, encompassing both club and country. Biting someone three times (those that we are aware of) is ridiculous and there should be a real statement of intent to tell him either he gets his head sorted properly, or his career at the top level is going to be a lot shorter than it could have been.

Something to do with the relative lack of attention given to the bite outside England, my complete lack of confidence in FIFA to do anything that actually helps the game in the long run, the willingness of the latter organisation to protect its stars at all cost (and Suarez is a star, let's not beat around the bush here), leads me to think the punishment will be fairly lenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭secman

Rumblings from FIFA are suggesting it's along the same as a "spit" offence which in the past carried a 6 match international ban..... really defies logic if they tow that line, okay common factor is the mouth ..................
    Personally think he should get a 6 month ban from all football and have to attend an intensive anger management/ pychological course, for his own sake.

Hopefully he would learn from that and get on with his football/life.

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't think he'll get very long at all. With all the corruption in Fifa, I'd say there are plenty of influential people in the Americas who won't want him too badly punished.

• Advertisement

7 matches
    I think it is. It affects Barcelona/Madrid and by extension La Liga and Spain as their two biggest clubs were rumoured to be after him. The lack of action by the ref arguably got Italy knocked out, which makes it a huge talking point in that country. It brings the whole lack of retrospective action policy FIFA have under the spotlight and it tests their competency to the very limit.

Well I can tell you that in Spain it was nothing more than a side note in all the papers I read.

The first story was Godin and Italy's elimination, with a mention of the Suarez incident in a paragraph of the article or a separate shorter article. Italy's papers led with their exit from the World Cup.

Today the talk is of Neymar vs Messi, two potential World Cup greats, later the focus will move onto the actual football being played. These are bigger stories than Suarez.

Meanwhile the BBC have had the Suarez story as their lead since the incident happened, and have relegated talk of actual football to the sidelines. As far as I know this is not happening in any other country.

Those who consume Dutch or German media or whatever other country can fill me in, but I imagine the Suarez story is a side story and not the massive event it is here and in the UK.

So, from what I can gather, to claimi t is the biggest event in world football right now is wrong. There is still a World Cup going on, and people care more about this in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

6 month global ban
    10+ games from international football is what I am expecting. Be a nice surprise if its from all football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

So you think that Suarez eclipses the World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The idea of a global ban is only a joke in soccer, if that happened in rugby the third offense would likely be a lifetime ban from any rugby at any level. Not that I expect FIFA to do the right thing but justice needs to be done and more importantly has to be seen to be done, a ban should be lengthy and affect his club too not as is likely will benefit his club as he won't have to go away on international duty. Suarez is a brilliant player but other footballers shouldn't have to be on the same field as someone who may bite them. As an Arsenal fan I would love Suarez the player but would hate to have Suarez the person in our club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Reckon FIFA won't even take into account past gnawing and he will get a 4 game international ban

The way he is apparently going on as if he is innocent should really mean FIFA should throw the book at him IMO, if he admitted guilt and said he was going to get help I'd have some sympathy for him but as it stands he has learned nothing.

7 matches
    Anyone wrote: »
    So you think that Suarez eclipses the World Cup?

No which is why it should all be in one thread instead of all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

I think he should be stoned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

4 match ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

No which is why it should all be in one thread instead of all over the place.

So its not the biggest event in world football then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

5 matches
    i don't see why his ban should be any longer than Marchisio's, i'd prefer a bite to a potential leg breaker or a stamp...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

1 match
    This is a story I can really get my teeth into.

I guess his bite is worse than his bark.

Looks like he's bitten off more than he can chew this time.

• Advertisement

7 matches
    Anyone wrote: »
    So its not the biggest event in world football then?

The biggest event in world football is the World Cup. The biggest talking point of said event thus far has been Suarez biting Chiellini.

I don't know what you're trying to prove with these pedantic statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

6 month global ban
    taidghbaby wrote: »
    I think he should be stoned

Well he is from Uruguay, where pot is legal...

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

9 matches
    It's all ridiculous, a headbutt is a worse offence and wouldn't generate half the drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

1 match
    Really think it will be in the range of 0 to 6 international games.

No way will there be a club ban.

FIFA cant be too strict as it would open the floodgates to video evidence and that is the last thing FIFA want. There will be serious fudging going on by FIFA not to undermine the role of the referee.

If it were the English FA I would be expecting a 30+ game ban - the English media reaction has had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he scored 2 goals against them and pretty much sent them home.

Current PaddyPower odds.
    This applies to the ban imposed by FIFA for international games only. If the ban imposed refers to a time frame , then the amount of international games missed will be counted for settlement.

1-3 Games 7/2
    4-6 Games 7/2
    7-9 Games 5/1
    10-12 Games 9/1
    13-15 Games 9/1
    16-18 Games 12/1
    19 Or More 7/2
    No Ban Imposed 13/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

1 match
    As a Liverpool fan I hope there is not global ban.

Also as a Liverpool fan I hope he is sold for the reputation of the club.

If the rumours are through about Sanchez I would at this point prefer him to be starting up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

6 matches
    It was a ridculously stupid act, but it didn't cause as much damage as a tackle that puts someone in hospital or even an elbow that gives someone a black eye.

It's very childish act and causes more harm to Suarez than Chellini. Anything more than a 10 game ban would be completely over the top imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

8 matches
    7 match ban from internationals would be my guess. If he ever does it in England again he's f*cked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I can't believe the amount of people who think that Fifa can't ban him from club football.

Its not like they are the governing body of world football or anything.

He deserves a long ban from international football but I've this awful feeling that Fifa will make an example out of him to please the sensationalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Over 10 matches
    I clicked 10, not sure why. It will be about 6 I think. Probably enough so he's back in time for most of Copa America next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

5 matches
    JPA wrote: »
    It's all ridiculous, a headbutt is a worse offence and wouldn't generate half the drama.

A proper headbutt, which we pretty much never see in football thankfully, would generate a lot more drama. People would be appalled at that kind of violence being shown on the big stage and if the player had done it two times previously then it certainly would cause a huge stir with lots of calls for a proper ban.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement