Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will Suarez's ban be? Mod warning in OP and post#455

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

1 match
    the irish argument whilst seeming mad deserved to be looked at ie a replay of game but it was crazy looking to be 33rd team. the uruguayans are mental looking to have essentially a guy who viciously assaulted someone reinstated.

its massively different and you know it is

but both countries were indeed desperate

Different situations of course but both equally crazy in what they wanted. Both acted desperate is the point I was making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

6 month global ban
    My eyes roll every time someone refers to Suarez as a genius. Anyone who has a history of biting other players and then bites someone in the biggest and most watched football tournament, is far from a genius.

Even in footballing terms, he is a great striker, his movement off the ball is fantastic, and he is a fantastic finisher. But genius?
    Genius and common sense are not terms that are that frequently intertwined IMO. Suarez undoubtedly a footballing genius IMO and given your stupid joke earlier in the thread, I'm inclined to question your true motives for suggesting otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

He's a genius in that he often tries theseemingly impossible or unthinkable. Alex Higgins would be a comparison for me, though I remember someboody arguing a snooker player can't be a genus!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

6 month global ban
    And just to go back on some of the nuts posts in this thread, obviously people are going to consider a player making 3 intentional legbreaker challenges as worse than 3 bites. Just there isn't an example of a player who has intentionally broken 3 players legs, so we can't give them the sort of ban that people are talking about not being handed out. When it happens, come back and we can compare the severity of Suarez's ban and their's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

5 matches
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    My original post

You just agreed with it again, thanks.

You just said that "Nobody is defending the incident", I pointed out to you that there are people trying to defend it. People who are saying that it's not as bad as a certain tackle; or people who say diving is far worse than biting; that it's only a scratch and people who say "but what about x other player" are all defending what Suarez did by trying to downplay its significance.

Sorry to have gotten bitchy with you earlier btw. That was uncalled for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

article-2670508-1F24C85F00000578-554_634x411.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Did the term "whataboutery" originate on boards? Never came across it before seeing here, and it seems to be the new "strawman".

Pro. F wrote: »
    You just said that "Nobody is defending the incident", I pointed out to you that there are people trying to defend it. People who are saying that it's not as bad as a certain tackle; or people who say diving is far worse than biting; that it's only a scratch and people who say "but what about x other player" are all defending what Suarez did by trying to downplay its significance.

Sorry to have gotten bitchy with you earlier btw. That was uncalled for.

I said nobody was defending the incident as in the actual incident (the bite). How could anyone tbf. If anyone did they are certainly in the minority. The diving is worse than biting example is ridiculous, I'm shocked you even mentioned that!

I'm surprised at you getting upset about people with extreme views on here, that's the nature of this place, rightly or wrongly.

No worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

7 matches
    Reading through the tweets etc... from Uruguayan journalists, ex-players etc...

Seems to be universal outrage, talk of FIFA corruption, conspiracy etc...

Chevanton (remember him?) has said that Uruguay should pull out of the World Cup as a show of solidarity with Suarez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

12 month global ban
    how can you compare our unfortune with uruguays player screwing them over.

we went mad as we were hard done by a cheating frenchman, uruguays star man viciously assaulted by biting a man there is no comparison

Seriously? Hyperbole much........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Seriously? Hyperbole much........
    it is a serious assault and was vicious like it or lump it...

ask a garda would biting someone be considered serious assault...

12 month global ban
    it is a serious assault and was vicious like it or lump it...

ask a garda would biting someone be considered serious assault...

Don't think it would be as serious as breaking someone's leg with a kick or elbowing someone full force in the face.

Then again, it is Liverpool's Luis Suarez we're discussing.........so hyperbole it is.

BTW, how did you vote in the poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

9 matches
    Morzadec wrote: »
    Reading through the tweets etc... from Uruguayan journalists, ex-players etc...

Seems to be universal outrage, talk of FIFA corruption, conspiracy etc...

Chevanton (remember him?) has said that Uruguay should pull out of the World Cup as a show of solidarity with Suarez.

They are crazy, as I said on the Liverpool thread - Uruguay is like the short arse in the pub who snarls at the tall guy that brushed his pint arm.

Don't think it would be as serious as breaking someone's leg with a kick or elbowing someone full force in the face.

Then again, it is Liverpool's Luis Suarez we're discussing.........so hyperbole it is.

BTW, how did you vote in the poll?
    poor little victim luis...

2 years but why ask yu can see who voted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

No-one can answer me why they think there is a conspiracy against Suarez.

Tell me why Liverpool fans think everyone is against him and been harsh on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

6 month global ban

Higher the profile higher the punishment. Hardly surprising. Beckham getting sent off, you'd swear he shot the guy with the reaction. That is the world they live in i am afraid. Its all perception in the end ... think about this - why does everyone call John Terry a scumbag for tapping his team-mates missus when Giggsy is a gentleman for tapping his brothers wife for years?

Perception.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Bobjupiter

Higher the profile higher the punishment. Hardly surprising. Beckham getting sent off, you'd swear he shot the guy with the reaction. That is the world they live in i am afraid. Its all perception in the end ... think about this - why does everyone call John Terry a scumbag for tapping his team-mates missus when Giggsy is a gentleman for tapping his brothers wife for years?

Perception.

It really is amazing how people completely overlook what a complete scumbag Ryan Ggigs is.

Perception.
    footballers sex lives has nothing to do with them playing football.

judging a player like giggs or terry cos they had affairs is retarded.

12 month global ban
    poor little victim luis...

2 years but why ask yu can see who voted

Hardly poor.........But like most geniuses he has a flaw.....

6 month global ban
    Bobjupiter wrote: »
    It really is amazing how people completely overlook what a complete scumbag Ryan Ggigs is.

In fairness he did get a very expensive court injunction etc ... Sky Sports couldn't get near it. Classic good guy bad guy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

8 matches
    So what do the people who were saying that it's only the British Isles and redtops/Sky that see biting as such an outrageous offence think now?

i bet giggs cares what you think of him... small minded much??

infact i bet giggs is like mr t with all his 13 pl medals hangin round his neck :D

albert einstein was a genius...

suarez is a good footballer...

are you confused??

8 matches

Perception.

You actually think everyone calls Giggs a gentleman for shagging his brothers missus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

10 matches
    egghead. wrote: »
    No-one can answer me why they think there is a conspiracy against Suarez.

Tell me why Liverpool fans think everyone is against him and been harsh on him?

Because the average Liverpool fan is about 22 and a bit thick.

infact i bet giggs is like mr t with all his 13 pl medals hangin round his neck :D

He'd probably prefer if his parents and brother spoke to him tbf.

Not sure how Giggs fits in with Suarez biting but anyway.

Thread is entering the twilight zone I feel!

He'd probably prefer if his parents and brother spoke to him tbf.

Not sure how Giggs fits in with Suarez biting but anyway.

Thread is entering the twilight zone I feel!
    pool fans dragging united players of past in to try drag the thread down so it will be closed...

ill say it again for all poor little luis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Bobjupiter

Your post makes no sense. Firstly no one mentioned whether Giggs cares what I think, it's a complete non sequitar to mention. You may as well say the sky is blue.

Small minded? If by small minded you mean having morals and empathy for fellow human beings then yes I am small minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

12 month global ban

It really grinds my gears seeing people refer to Suarez as a genius.

Van Nistelrooy scored more league goals in a single season than Suarez ever did and I would never refer to him as a genius and I'm a United fan. He was a great finisher like Suarez.

I reserve the description of genius to the likes of Zidane and Messi in recent times.

Its not a matter of opinion. Its basic common sense lads.

• Advertisement

Your post makes no sense. Firstly no one mentioned whether Giggs cares what I think, it's a complete non sequitar to mention. You may as well say the sky is blue.

Small minded? If by small minded you mean having morals and empathy for fellow human beings then yes I am small minded.
    morals and empathy but you call ggigs as you spell his name scum??

i bet you are a priest too morals my arse

6 month global ban
    morals and empathy but you call ggigs as you spell his name scum??

i bet you are a priest too morals my arse

We get it, you LOVE Giggs ... superb footballer for all but the last 3-4 years of his career, but still a complete scumbag of a person. Can't be denied. The point is he is perceived as something he is not.

on topic re saint suarez... if uruguay appeal and fail will the punishment be more severe???

8 matches
    Good jaysus, how hard is it not to call someone a scumbag?

6 month global ban

Van Nistelrooy scored more league goals in a single season than Suarez ever did and I would never refer to him as a genius and I'm a United fan. He was a great finisher like Suarez.

I reserve the description of genius to the likes of Zidane and Messi in recent times.

Common sense? Take the blinkers off would ya. Suarez scores the type of goals that very few can. He does things on the ball that very few can and he is unplayable with his style when in full flow. RVN was an unbelievable finisher and unmatched in the box from 8 yards. But completely different players. Suarez in footballing terms is the epitome of a genius ... despite how badly you do not want him to be ... its basic footballing sense that you may learn some day.

Good jaysus, how hard is it not to call someone a scumbag?
    keyboard warriors everywhere will.

so wrong calling someone you dont know a scumbag though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

10 matches
    It's time for bed children.....off now. School in the morning. Night night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Suarez deserves every bit of the ban he got and I think its fair. Its not ott but its strong and harsh enough for him to learn that this behaviour will not be tolerated.

I can't believe that people are saying that the ban is wrong because it affects Liverpool. Its Luis Suarez that is hurting Liverpool with this ban not FIFA. He is responsible for his actions and the punishment for what he did.

8 matches
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Suarez deserves every bit of the ban he got and I think its fair. Its not ott but its strong and harsh enough for him to learn that this behaviour will not be tolerated.

I can't believe that people are saying that the ban is wrong because it affects Liverpool. Its Luis Suarez that is hurting Liverpool with this ban not FIFA. He is responsible for his actions and the punishment for what he did.

That's about the most sense I've seen in here in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

5 matches
    I said nobody was defending the incident as in the actual incident (the bite). How could anyone tbf. If anyone did they are certainly in the minority. The diving is worse than biting example is ridiculous, I'm shocked you even mentioned that!

I'm surprised at you getting upset about people with extreme views on here, that's the nature of this place, rightly or wrongly.

No worries.

I'm not getting upset by those mad posts, there good for a laugh and make the thread more entertaining really. I just disagree with your assertion that nobody is defending what Suarez did. Those mad posts trying to downplay how bad it was would qualify as defending it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Banning Suarez does nothing with regards stopping him from doing this again. He needs professional help and a proper diagnosis of whatever condition he may have. Hopefully Liverpool have people looking into helping him properly.

• Advertisement

6 month global ban
    Not defending him i mean, how can you! BUT ... i'd suggest that the guy should be made do 4 months of mental fitness training and to see a FEW of the best shrinks that the world has to offer. Based on the findings then can return to football when they see fit. Longer if necessary.

Lets be honest, no matter if you love or hate the guy as a footballer - he has a serious screw loose and should not be ignored! Imagine a grown man in this country biting someone else on a football field THREE times??? It doesn't even make sense to type it!

Its a sad situation regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

I'd never consider any soccer player a genius, well not for his playing ability anyway. Gifted fits them better. But genius just doesn't fit when we see so many of them are dumb as bag of hammers. That's just me.

OT: Completely deserved. Wonder would Fifa ever increase it if the appeal fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

3 matches
    JerCotter7 wrote: »
    I'd never consider any soccer player a genius, well not for his playing ability anyway. Gifted fits them better. But genius just doesn't fit when we see so many of them are dumb as bag of hammers. That's just me.

OT: Completely deserved. Wonder would Fifa ever increase it if the appeal fails.

A genius is a person who displays exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality. I believe the OP was referring to him as a football genius not an academic genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

NoelJ wrote: »
    A genius is a person who displays exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality. I believe the OP was referring to him as a football genius not an academic genius.

I know. I just choose to not consider them genius. Just my opinion is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Common sense? Take the blinkers off would ya. Suarez scores the type of goals that very few can. He does things on the ball that very few can and he is unplayable with his style when in full flow. RVN was an unbelievable finisher and unmatched in the box from 8 yards. But completely different players. Suarez in footballing terms is the epitome of a genius ... despite how badly you do not want him to be ... its basic footballing sense that you may learn some day.

Was Thierry Henry a genius?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

6 matches
    Lennonist wrote: »
    Banning Suarez does nothing with regards stopping him from doing this again. He needs professional help and a proper diagnosis of whatever condition he may have. Hopefully Liverpool have people looking into helping him properly.

Going by his relatively good behaviour last EPL season I'd say its very likely that Liverpool may well have been doing that already. But obviously that would all have stopped once he goes away for 6 weeks with Uruguay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Does anybody have the full text of the FIFA ruling/statement? Did they explain the decision-making process?

I'm interested to see if the statements hint that these 'worldwide' bans are more likely in the future, or if it is something which applies only to this incident.

12 month global ban

Ah yes, Zidane.

The player who ended his career by headbutting (viciously assaulting) another player in a world cup final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Ah yes, Zidane.

The player who ended his career by headbutting (viciously assaulting) another player in a world cup final.

Whataboutery, he didn't do it 3 times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

osarusan wrote: »
    Does anybody have the full text of the FIFA ruling/statement? Did they explain the decision-making process?

I'm interested to see if the statements hint that these 'worldwide' bans are more likely in the future, or if it is something which applies only to this incident.

It probably only applies to this incident/s, as biting fellow professionals, on three different occasions, would fall into "exceptional circumstances". And downright weird and fúcked up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement