Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will Suarez's ban be? Mod warning in OP and post#455

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

10 matches
    Muzzling would be a good idea would it not? He could then continue to play but be shamed week after week. That'll learn him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

A tad lenient since over a month of the ban is during the summer, would have liked to see a minimum of 6 months to a year.

I dont get how people can trivialize it, biting would go in a cathagory with spitting, doesnt cause a huge amount of physical damage but biting and spitting are complete scumbag behavior of the highest order and deserve to be punished severly

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

3 matches
    I'm confused as to what people's problem is really. This will hopefully clear things up a bit :P

Are those of you that are against the ban complaining because:

A) Suarez shouldn't have gotten such a severe ban because what he did wasn't deserving of it.
    B) Suarez shouldn't have gotten such a severe ban because others didn't get similar for repeat offences of violent conduct.
    C) Suarez shouldn't have gotten such a severe ban because FIFA don't have the authority to impose such a ban.
    D) Suarez should have gotten a severe international ban but not a ban from playing with Liverpool.
    E) Other - (Explain)

My main problems are B because of that D. I do think he gets longer bans than others with similar offences such as Zidane. Keane ending someone's career tackle was worse. They only got 3 and 5 game bans. Suarez gets 9 and 4 months. I just can't see the FIFA logic. Also has an international ban ever hindered a club before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

People seem to forget this is the 3rd .... third time Suarez took a bite out of someone.

You can compare all you want with things Cantona and and a few other who are mentioned did ... but they did it once. Took their punishment and got on with it.

This guy has just put his teeth in an opponent for the 3rd time in just over 4 years.

The ban is not long enough.
    Break the doping rules 3 times and see what happens with your career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I still don't understand why FIFA have jurisdiction over the EPL or the CL which is run by EUFA. By all means ban him from international football - but Liverpool pay his wages - why should they suffer for something he has done in a Uruguay shirt? When he bit Ivanovic he was only banned from games that were FA affiliated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

5 matches
    Don't know why people keep mentioning Zidane, didn't he get a lifetime ban for headbutting Matterazzi? I still haven't seen him back on the field for Juventus.

Does anybody here work in a creche? What do they do with bitey toddlers?

5 matches
    kstand wrote: »
    I still don't understand why FIFA have jurisdiction over the EPL or the CL which is run by EUFA.

Clearly then you don't even know what FIFA actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

I still don't understand why FIFA have jurisdiction over the EPL or the CL which is run by EUFA. By all means ban him from international football - but Liverpool pay his wages - why should they suffer for something he has done in a Uruguay shirt? When he bit Ivanovic he was only banned from games that were FA affiliated.

Hierarchy

FIFA
    UEFA
    FA

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

1 match

Either you're pretending not to understand in order to be argumentative or you really don't, in which case you're way out of your depth in this discussion.

3 matches
    Don't know why people keep mentioning Zidane, didn't he get a lifetime ban for headbutting Matterazzi? I still haven't seen him back on the field for Juventus.

No he got a 3 game ban so ended up soing 3 days community service. He just happened to retire after it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

8 matches

FIFA are the WORLD governing body of football. They overrule UEFA and the FA.

I thought it might be a bit unfair on Liverpool myself to begin with but If he was only banned from internationals, he would be on the pitch again playing pre-season friendlies in a few weeks time.

I'm sure the powers that be at Liverpool weighed up the risks in signing a player that has bitten someone and keeping a player that has subsequently bitten again. They made the right decision to keep him if you ask me but this is the result of that risk.

1 match
    NoelJ wrote: »
    No he got a 3 game ban so ended up soing 3 days community service. He just happened to retire after it.

It's a bad idea to just make stuff up because then nothing you say has any credibility.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4942564.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

lol my wife is a creche manager

repeated biting would have a child removed from a creche for safety of other children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭EvanCornwallis

1 match
    Sad day for football. Best player in the WC can't even play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

great day for football imo. finally getting his just desserts

5 matches

It is sad but really that Portugal team was awful. I expected more from them but even their basic passing and use of the ball was just terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Oranage2 wrote: »
    A tad lenient since over a month of the ban is during the summer, would have liked to see a minimum of 6 months to a year.

I dont get how people can trivialize it, biting would go in a cathagory with spitting, doesnt cause a huge amount of physical damage but biting and spitting are complete scumbag behavior of the highest order and deserve to be punished severly

People aren't trivialising it, it was a ****ing scummy idiotic thing to do, like spitting or stamping or loafing, the problem is FIFA as far as I can see has NEVER banned a player from all football for any of those offences, until now.

5 matches
    finally getting his just desserts

Who has he bitten now?

1 match

He's only got himself to blame.
    ...he missed chance after chance against Ghana yesterday.:p

• Advertisement

5 matches
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    the problem is FIFA as far as I can see has NEVER banned a player from all football for any of those offences, until now.

No, thats not the problem. Thats not the problem at all.

The problem was a grown man going around biting people.

1 match
    It is sad but really that Portugal team was awful. I expected more from them but even their basic passing and use of the ball was just terrible.
    Zico wrote: »
    He's only got himself to blame.
    ...he missed chance after chance against Ghana yesterday.:p

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Did suarez issue a public apology ahead of the ban or did he stick to the "it's normal" story?

3 matches
    It's a bad idea to just make stuff up because then nothing you say has any credibility.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4942564.stm

What did I make up? He got a 3 game ban and did retire after it? It wasn't a lifetime ban from sport?

1 match
    What did I make up? He got a 3 game ban and did retire after it? It wasn't a lifetime ban from sport?

His retirement was announced long before the tournament. It's up to you if you want to twist things by adding untruths to facts but it undermines your credibility. That is all, have a nice day.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

People aren't trivialising it, it was a ****ing scummy idiotic thing to do, like spitting or stamping or loafing, the problem is FIFA as far as I can see has NEVER banned a player from all football for any of those offences, until now.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2007/0321/sport/fifa-extends-ban-on-valenciaaposs-navarro-for-sparking-pitch-battle-28362.html
    FIFA have extended Valencia defender David Navarro’s seven-month ban for his part in the brawl that marred his side’s Champions League encounter with Inter Milan on March 6 to include all domestic and international matches.

Navarro was hit with the lengthy suspension after sparking the ugly scenes that followed the last 16 tie at the Mestalla by throwing a punch that broke the nose of Inter’s Nicolas Burdisso.

The original ban only covered European fixtures, but FIFA have now granted a UEFA request to increase the punishment to a ban at all levels.

UEFA also confirmed Valencia and Inter have lodged appeals against the punishments meted out after the brawl, to be heard on March 28

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

inforfun wrote: »
    People seem to forget this is the 3rd .... third time Suarez took a bite out of someone.

You can compare all you want with things Cantona and and a few other who are mentioned did ... but they did it once. Took their punishment and got on with it.

This guy has just put his teeth in an opponent for the 3rd time in just over 4 years.

The ban is not long enough.
    Break the doping rules 3 times and see what happens with your career.
    Ah but lets not let a persecution complex get in the way of the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I know portugal got knocked out last night.

1 match
    I know portugal got knocked out last night.

Congrats on knowing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

888 Poker have cancelled their sponsorship contract with Suarez.

Adidas are to meet with his representatives soon,they could also follow suit.

Congrats on knowing that.

Congrats to you. You spotted it first.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    888 Poker have cancelled their sponsorship contract with Suarez.

Adidas are to meet with his representatives soon,they could also follow suit.
    Anyone else think he should have swapped sponsorships with Sturridge? :pac:

3 matches
    His retirement was announced long before the tournament. It's up to you if you want to twist things by adding untruths to facts but it undermines your credibility. That is all, have a nice day.:)

So he did happen to retire after the world cup? What part of my post was wrong? I never said he didn't announce it before he just happened to be retiring after the incident not because of it.

1 match
    Congrats to you. You spotted it first.

I didn't know until you said it. Thanks for the random post(random or just bad English)

So he did happen to retire after the world cup? What part of my post was wrong? I never said he didn't announce it before he just happened to be retiring after the incident not because of it.
    Christ! Stop digging man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Pro. F wrote: »
    I don't get the connection, but you get a thanks for quoting Watchmen.

Well Rorschach has a few marbles missing... so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

cournioni wrote: »
    Christ! Stop digging man!

He was right, he corrected the poster who thought Zidane got a lifetime ban. Now as is the way of the internet, we are into pedantic nit picking.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jasoncoylerd

5 matches
    never bolt a door with a boiled carrot

5 matches
    K-9 wrote: »
    He was right, he corrected the poster who thought Zidane got a lifetime ban. Now as is the way of the internet, we are into pedantic nit picking.

And I wasn't even being serious to start with, hence saying he hasn't played for Juventus since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

8 matches

What do you think would be fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Instead of appealing the ban they should ask for trial by combat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Uruguay FA to appeal it

also from adidias: 'Adidas "fully supports FIFA’s decision...will discuss all aspects of our future partnership directly with Suarez following the World Cup”.'

Can they actually ban him from wearing their gear or will they have to pay him not to wear it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Over 10 matches
    Can they actually ban him from wearing their gear or will they have to pay him not to wear it?

They just won't pay him to wear it. They'd be delighted if he decided to wear it for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Over 10 matches
    As for 888poker, a gambling company pretending it has morales is always quite funny. The icing on the cake is that they signed this guy up after the Evra incident and two biting incidents and now they suddenly think he's evil.

Keno wrote: »
    Instead of appealing the ban they should ask for trial by combat.

Isnt there a guy in game of thrones called "biter"?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

How about this.I'm not a Liverpool fan let me say from the outset but to be fairer TO Liverpool this is what I think FIFA should have done.
    Ban Suarez for 9 internationals okay but then give him the option of the four month ban from all football OR he can continue to play club football during this time but his entire salary during the four months is donated to charity.
    As things stand unless Liverpool take matters into their own hands THEY will be paying wages amounting to 2-3 million pounds to an employee who's not even allowed into his workplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

As for 888poker, a gambling company pretending it has morales is always quite funny. The icing on the cake is that they signed this guy up after the Evra incident and two biting incidents and now they suddenly think he's evil.

Publicity stunt they still spooners Shane Warne who has had a checkered past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

7 matches
    ankaragucu wrote: »
    How about this.I'm not a Liverpool fan let me say from the outset but to be fairer TO Liverpool this is what I think FIFA should have done.
    Ban Suarez for 9 internationals okay but then give him the option of the four month ban from all football OR he can continue to play club football during this time but his entire salary during the four months is donated to charity.
    As things stand unless Liverpool take matters into their own hands THEY will be paying wages amounting to 2-3 million pounds to an employee who's not even allowed into his workplace.

I like your idea but I doubt they'll be paying him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

5 matches
    Poor old suarez.

Its such a pity he wont play out the rest of the world cup since he really was lighting up the tournament.

Reminds me a lot of the Zidane incident, in that both had missed good goal opportunities just before their moments of madness.

I know its wrong wrong wrong, but I'd love to see FIFA turn around and let him play the rest of the tournament....

I wont try to 'justify' that statement, I'd just love to see it happen as he is by some distance the most exciting player in the tournament IMHO.

it makes the World Cup less interesting that he is gone. Realistically, Uruguay have no chance without him, whereas with him I reckon they could cause some major upsets.

This has been a fantastic tournament so far, but the last thing we need is for the same old teams to reach the semi's - Brazil, Germany, France, Holland, Germany. If that happens, its really anticlimatic. Brazil win for the umpteenth time......so what......Messi fires a mediocre Argentina team to win....so what.......boring boring Germany........We need teams that can take these on.....Uruguay with Suarez is one of the view that can.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Publicity stunt they still spooners Shane Warne who has had a checkered past

a past which does not include biting three different opponents but.

• Advertisement

ankaragucu wrote: »

At the end of the day, its the players responsibility to act in a professional manner both on the pitch and off the pitch. He is an employee of Liverpool and thus he represents them no matter where he is while he is under contract with them.

Ultimately Suarez is responsible for lost wages due to his inability to train or play because of his own actions. Whether Liverpool choose to pay Suarez's wages or not is up to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement