Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will Suarez's ban be? Mod warning in OP and post#455

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Keno wrote: »
    Instead of appealing the ban they should ask for trial by combat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

9 matches
    Giorgio Chiellini supports Suarez and says ban is excessive Liverpool Echo 12:11
    Luis Suarez ban: Giorgio Chiellini feels Uruguayan's punishment is TOO EXCESSIVE Mirror.co.uk 12:11
    Giorgio Chiellini: Luis Suárez’s four-month ban is ‘excessive’ The Sport Review 12:08
    Giorgio Chiellini offers Luis Suarez sympathy This is Anfield 12:08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

FIFA would choose Adebayo Akinfenwa as their champion for trial by combat, he is the strongest man in all of FIFA 14

I think Suarez would lose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

6 matches
    mike65 wrote: »
    Giorgio Chiellini supports Suarez and says ban is excessive Liverpool Echo 12:11
    Luis Suarez ban: Giorgio Chiellini feels Uruguayan's punishment is TOO EXCESSIVE Mirror.co.uk 12:11
    Giorgio Chiellini: Luis Suárez’s four-month ban is ‘excessive’ The Sport Review 12:08
    Giorgio Chiellini offers Luis Suarez sympathy This is Anfield 12:08

Fantastic contribution there Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

9 matches
    Well it beats yours!

Just showing that even the bitten is a big man (albeit he knows the damage is done to Suarez so can afford to be generous)

BrIb_DSCIAAddD5.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

a past which does not include biting three different opponents but.

Apparently 2 bites was no bother at all for them, 3 seems to be their line.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

3 matches
    Well that just says he should be allowed to train with his team mates, nothing like the tabloid crap you posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

mike65 wrote: »
    Well it beats yours!

Just showing that even the bitten is a big man (albeit he knows the damage is done to Suarez so can afford to be generous)

BrIb_DSCIAAddD5.jpg:large
    chellini is very foolish imo suarez hasnt even apologised to him. he also cheated trying to get chiellini sent off. no sympathy for poor luis enjoy your break....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

7 matches
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Poor old suarez.

Its such a pity he wont play out the rest of the world cup since he really was lighting up the tournament.

Reminds me a lot of the Zidane incident, in that both had missed good goal opportunities just before their moments of madness.

I know its wrong wrong wrong, but I'd love to see FIFA turn around and let him play the rest of the tournament....

I wont try to 'justify' that statement, I'd just love to see it happen as he is by some distance the most exciting player in the tournament IMHO.

it makes the World Cup less interesting that he is gone. Realistically, Uruguay have no chance without him, whereas with him I reckon they could cause some major upsets.

This has been a fantastic tournament so far, but the last thing we need is for the same old teams to reach the semi's - Brazil, Germany, France, Holland, Germany. If that happens, its really anticlimatic. Brazil win for the umpteenth time......so what......Messi fires a mediocre Argentina team to win....so what.......boring boring Germany........We need teams that can take these on.....Uruguay with Suarez is one of the view that can.....

Aside from the "poor old Suarez" part I Have to agree.

From an entertainment point of view this WC will suffer because of this. A real shame. I find Suarez far more entertaining than Messi which I am not proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Mr Alan wrote: »
    People aren't trivialising it, it was a ****ing scummy idiotic thing to do, like spitting or stamping or loafing, the problem is FIFA as far as I can see has NEVER banned a player from all football for any of those offences, until now.

Nobody else has ever bitten three people on a pitch before, the third after his employers assured the world (Rodgers at the PFA dinner being one example) that the man had changed and there would be no repeat.

An unprecedented act gets an unprecedented punishment. Not a surprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

4 matches
    Godge wrote: »
    Nobody else has ever bitten three people on a pitch before, the third after his employers assured the world (Rodgers at the PFA dinner being one example) that the man had changed and there would be no repeat.

An unprecedented act gets an unprecedented punishment. Not a surprise.

I think the ban is stupid and is opening up the biggest can of worms possible . FIFA should stick to international football . The leagues should be run the fa's of each country and FIFA shouldn't be allowed to meddle in them unless it's a case of massive corruption .
    Let's say aguero or RVP lash out at a player on the field and throw that player a thump . The next game is against a big rival . What's to stop the club they are playing against going to FIFA and saying we want this ban to be passed on to the players domestic league .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Over 10 matches
    chellini is very foolish imo suarez hasnt even apologised to him. he also cheated trying to get chiellini sent off. no sympathy for poor luis enjoy your break....

I would suspect his motives are to stop abuse he is probably getting from fans of Luis and not his "outrage" at the punishment meted out to Suarez.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I find it crazy that suarez didn't even try to issue some kind of apology after the game or even after getting banned. He doesn't seem to even have acknowledged that it was wrong to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

5 matches
    Aside from the "poor old Suarez" part I Have to agree.

From an entertainment point of view this WC will suffer because of this. A real shame. I find Suarez far more entertaining than Messi which I am not proud of.

When I say 'Poor old Suarez', what I mean is that he obviously just cant help himself........he knows its wrong, he's been punished severely for it in the past, and yet he does it again........he cant help it.

Also, personally......maybe its just me......but I dont think what he did was all that bad.

Compared to say Nigel de Jong in the last world cup final, or Marchisio's potentially leg breaking tackle earlier in the tournament..... its neither here nor there......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

1 match
    I find it crazy that suarez didn't even try to issue some kind of apology after the game or even after getting banned. He doesn't seem to even have acknowledged that it was wrong to do that.

Reading the article in the Guardian last night it seems Uruguayans view football through a different prism to most.

1. They will do anything to win. Winning is all that matters.
    2. What happens on the field stays on the field.

When you have that collective mindset it's easy to see how they are not big on apologies for something that happens during a football game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

2 matches
    Did any of Suarez's bite victims have to be substituted because of the bites?
    Did any of them miss any further games through injury caused by the bite?
    How many games did they miss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

No.
    No.
    0 probably.

What's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

5 matches

How is this even relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

12 month global ban

Spitting doesn't injure people either.

2 matches
    How is this even relevant?

Obviously it's relevant to the seriousness of his crime.
    Is it really that serious if nobody was hurt?

Compare it with Hunt stamping on Petr Cech's head and causing a fractured skull - now that had serious consequences and warranted a long ban

• Advertisement

2 matches

I wouldn't agree with a long ban for spitting either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

1 match

I think the point he may be making is that people causing it a vicious assault and calling for jail time are slightly overplaying the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Compare it with Hunt stamping on Petr Cech's head and causing a fractured skull - now that had serious consequences and warranted a long ban

ara come on now, talk about exageration

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

10 matches

You don't think a player that has bitten 3 different players on 3 different occasions and clearly hasn't learned anything from his previous punishments, a player who has also shown to be capable of racist abuse, is worthy of a long ban on the basis that he hasn't caused a serious injury? You don't think someone like that, going virtually unpunished or with lenient punishment, is capable of going further and inflicting greater injury the next time?

I don't understand people comparing this to other one-off incidents at all. If this was Suarez's first biting incident, I can see him getting nothing more than a slap on the wrist, one-match ban. As it is, his previous actions have been taken into account, and I personally think 9 matches and 4 months is adequate. If he does it again, I can see 2 years or more being given to him.
    wonga77 wrote: »
    ara come on now, talk about exageration

Makes it sound like Hunt danced on Cech's head for fun, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Apparently FIFPRO the player's union are getting involved as the world ban/ stadium and training ban infringes on Suarez' right to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

1 match
    niallo27 wrote: »
    I think the point he may be making is that people causing it a vicious assault and calling for jail time are slightly overplaying the incident.

If you sexually assault someone on a football pitch does the same standard apply?

Not injured, no big deal, no crime committed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

This is obviously hyperbolic in relation to Suarez biting, but by that logic attempted, but failed, murder is ok? Nobody was hurt after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

7 matches

neither does missing a drug test and Ferdinand got an 8 month ban, including playing for England. Suarez got off lightly

1 match
    Zico wrote: »
    If you sexually assault someone on a football pitch does the same standard apply?

Not injured, no big deal, no crime committed?

Why in the name of Jesus would you mention sexual assault on the field. Are you comparing what Suarez did to a sexual assault and that Suarez victims would go through the same ordeal.

• Advertisement

1 match
    bangkok wrote: »
    neither does missing a drug test and Ferdinand got an 8 month ban, including playing for England. Suarez got off lightly

Ferdinand could have been trying to gain an advantage by taking drugs. It had to be punished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

12 month global ban
    Apparently FIFPRO the player's union are getting involved as the world ban/ stadium and training ban infringes on Suarez' right to work.

I was thinking the same.

I am in agreement with banning him from international football and a total football ban, its harsh on Liverpool but not on Suarez. He deserves it

Banning him from Anfield/Melwood and training is a bit much though IMO.

The other issue I have is FIFA made no attempt to get him help. He is one of the brightest talents in the game, the game would benefit from helping him treat this problem. A non-biting Suarez as evidenced by his last season is a truly exciting player who adds value to any league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

12 month global ban

I've been dropping in and out of this thread since it started so haven't read all the posts and I haven't seen anyone call for jail time for Suarez.

People who would call for that are just daft.

You can't bite other players though. People keep saying it was his third time when really it is his 4th that we know of. He was banned for 10 games by the FA last time. Bans for similar incidents should never get smaller. They should always get bigger and bigger until the player cops on so I agree with the ban 100%.

If he does it again he will get something like 6 months or a 20 match ban so basically he will miss half a season. That is why he is now untouchable to all the big clubs in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

8 matches
    Why in the name of Jesus would you mention sexual assault on the field. Are you comparing what Suarez did to a sexual assault and that Suarez victims would go through the same ordeal.

Why can't people distinguish between an example and a comparison? Happens every time on here.

2 matches
    A few people on here think that Hunt fracturing Cech's skull was a small matter.
    It was probably the most dispicable foul in recent years and was way worse than any one or 3 bites that Suarez made.
    Why wasn't the punishment higher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Wouldn't it just be like any other job where someone is suspended indefinitely without pay? That is not classed as an infringement on someone's right to work as far as I know.

• Advertisement

1 match
    Why can't people distinguish between an example and a comparison? Happens every time on here.

Do you think it was a good example to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Wouldn't it just be like any other job where someone is suspended indefinitely without pay? That is not classed as an infringement on someone's right to work as far as I know.

But he's not been suspended by his employer is the angle ( I think ). Not a big fan of Unions and legal talk so I don't know.

A few people on here think that Hunt fracturing Cech's skull was a small matter.
    It was probably the most dispicable foul in recent years and was way worse than any one or 3 bites that Suarez made.

I dont know why im even bothering to reply but here goes.
    First of all he didnt "stamp" as you put it. You make it sound like he did riverdance on Cech's head
    He had no history of this behavior, it wasnt premeditated, most people have it down as an accidental colision. Im not sure how its even comparable to somebody biting tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

rob316 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same.

I am in agreement with banning him from international football and a total football ban, its harsh on Liverpool but not on Suarez. He deserves it

Banning him from Anfield/Melwood and training is a bit much though IMO.

The other issue I have is FIFA made no attempt to get him help. He is one of the brightest talents in the game, the game would benefit from helping him treat this problem. A non-biting Suarez as evidenced by his last season is a truly exciting player who adds value to any league.

Why is it up to fifa to get him help? If he is too mentally unbalanced to go a season without biting or loosing the plot, then maybe he needs to hang up his boots. He can afford to get any amount of help he needs but chooses not too

8 matches
    Do you think it was a good example to use.

Yeah, sometimes you need to use an extreme example to get a point across, the spitting example obviously didn't work.

Maybe look past the extremity and answer the question?
    It's not all about the physical mark left on the player as the other poster is making out.

• Advertisement

2 matches
    I dont know why im even bothering to reply but here goes.
    First of all he didnt "stamp" as you put it. You make it sound like he did riverdance on Cech's head
    He had no history of this behavior, it wasnt premeditated, most people have it down as an accidental colision. Im not sure how its even comparable to somebody biting tbh

You shouldn't have bothered. Your reply was useless.
    Hunt deliberately kicked Cech in the head. Maybe he didn't intend to fracture his skull but he meant to "let him know he was there".
    Accidental my arse. We usually hear home town views like this when Irish rugby lads such as Alan Quinlan get done for "eye gouging".

If you think this was accidental you know very little about the game.
    Years later Hunt wanted to swap shirts after a game v Chelsea. He went to their changing room and was rightly told to F-OFF.

This was infinitely worse than anything Suarez did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

1 match

Perhaps if you were on the disciplinary committee it would have been, but it seems you have a very different view about these things to most people in football.

Being in the minority you'll just have to get used to how things are and hope players of teams you follow behave themselves to the standards the rest of us expect.

1 match
    Yeah, sometimes you need to use an extreme example to get a point across, the spitting example obviously didn't work.

Maybe look past the extremity and answer the question?
    It's not all about the physical mark left on the player as the other poster is making out.

I don't think anyone that was bitten by him were mentally scared by what happened. Ivananvic didnt miss a game and shook his hand and the Italian fella seems to be making light of it so yes i do find the use of a sexual assault as a reference point to be quiet bizarre.

You shouldn't have bothered. Your reply was useless.
    Hunt deliberately kicked Cech in the head. Maybe he didn't intend to fracture his skull but he meant to "let him know he was there".
    Accidental my arse. We usually hear home town views like this when Irish rugby lads such as Alan Quinlan get done for "eye gouging".

If you think this was accidental you know very little about the game.
    Years later Hunt wanted to swap shirts after a game v Chelsea. He went to their changing room and was rightly told to F-OFF.

This was infinitely worse than anything Suarez did.

Not a home town view, I couldnt gve 2 ****es about Hunt. il bow to your superior knowledge on this, You obviously know everything about everything. Good man

2 matches
    Zico wrote: »
    Perhaps if you were on the disciplinary committee it would have been, but it seems you have a very different view about these things to most people in football.

Being in the minority you'll just have to get used to how things are and hope players of teams you follow behave themselves to the standards the rest of us expect.

I'm not sure which ivory tower you live in but I'd much prefer to get one of Suarez's harmless lovebites than have my skull fractured like Petr Cech did.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Maybe the remainder of the tournament, had Suarez been rightly sent off.

2 matches
    Not a home town view, I couldnt gve 2 ****es about Hunt. il bow to your superior knowledge on this, You obviously know everything about everything. Good man

Thank you for bowing....and while you're down there...

8 matches
    I don't think anyone that was bitten by him were mentally scared by what happened. Ivananvic didnt miss a game and shook his hand and the Italian fella seems to be making light of it so yes i do find the use of a sexual assault as a reference point to be quiet bizarre.

You're missing the point, Zico was refuting this view
    "Is it really that serious if nobody was hurt"
    His reply was valid.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'm not sure which ivory tower you live in but I'd much prefer to get one of Suarez's harmless lovebites than have my skull fractured like Petr Cech did.
    Another person that doesn't realise the dangers of possible infections from human bites breaking the skin.

1 match
    You're missing the point, Zico was refuting this view
    "Is it really that serious if nobody was hurt"
    His reply was valid.

Of course its serious. The man is half bonkers.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement