Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will Suarez's ban be? Mod warning in OP and post#455

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Whether he was retiring or not shouldn't matter. Why suspend him at all then?

I'm not familiar with the rest of Suarez' transgressions, perhaps you could bring me up to speed on them. All i know is the 3 bites and they are not nearly as bad as what Zidane has done throughout his career. A bit more mental, yes. But as bad, no.

Ah right so you didn't hear about the racism and going out to do a player that has been shown here in the last few days multiple times. Zidane? Get it together, seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

1 match
    Godge wrote: »
    I didn't bring up Cantona, Aids or sexual assault but if diversion works for you, go ahead.

Can you point me to the relevant exceptions in employment legislation? Where does the law differentiate between football employments and other employments?

In normal employment employees aren't worth 70 million quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

1 match
    K-9 wrote: »
    Threads ridiculous, aids and sexual assault but don't bring up Cantona!

We're talking about an adult who bites people of course it's ridiculous.

In normal society a discussion about something like this starts and ends with "there's no excuse for that, take your punishment". You don't need to refer to every past act of stupidity and madness for comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

3 matches
    Cheillini calls the ban drastic and unfair. Argument over. Lock the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭pqdvdplayer

6 month global ban
    Vanolder wrote: »
    Cheillini calls the ban drastic and unfair. Argument over. Lock the thread.

Cheillini also bit somebody in 2009.. look it up. I'm shocked that most people don't know about this incident.

Edit: He didn't actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

niallo27 wrote: »

So all morals and ethics Should go out the window because it's win at all costs and a player is worth 70 million?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

It was obviously a general comment, yet you didn't bother address the actual relevant points I made, and accuse me of diversion. Hmmmmmmm.......

Cantona, Aids and sexual assault are irrelevant to this discussion. We are in agreement then.

Now you can address the points I have raised.

Oh yes, I forgot, the law does not apply to rich people.

1 match
    egghead. wrote: »
    So all morals and ethics Should go out the window because it's win at all costs and a player is worth 70 million?

Yes that's generally the feeling across most football clubs would you not agree. I mean if liverpool cancel Suarez's contract and come 7th next year do you think it will be acceptable because it's the right thing to do.

1 match
    Cantona, Aids and sexual assault are irrelevant to this discussion. We are in agreement then.

Cantona broke the law so if your going down that line and morally utd should have sold him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

6 month global ban
    The content in this thread is an embarrassment to Boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

4 matches

So cantona can assault a fan serve a ban and can be kept by man utd ?

Football has no morals and no ethics . If it did people wouldn't be getting paid excessive amounts of money to play it and also the fact that players can be sold for ridiculous sums of money .

Plus factor in all the cheating of the players in the game too . Diving and simulation . Waving imaginary cards at referees . The game had changed big time in the last 20 years .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I did address them, you just ignored them and went on a tangent. The club obviously did work with him, his on field antics have dropped dramatically. This occurred after a month away. The club treated it very seriously the last time, no doubt will again if he stays.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Yes that's generally the feeling across most football clubs would you not agree. I mean if liverpool cancel Suarez's contract and come 7th next year do you think it will be acceptable because it's the right thing to do.

So we should just let footballers do whatever they like on the pitch, because it's win at all costs.

Who cares about injuring players etc.

You're been so ridiculous can you not see this?

1 match
    Cantona broke the law so if your going down that line and morally utd should have sold him.

You have point there but do you think Man Utd would have kept him if he Kung-fu kicked a fan for a second or even a third time?

1 match
    So we should just let footballers do whatever they like on the pitch, because it's win at all costs.

Who cares about injuring players etc.

You're been so ridiculous can you not see this?

I never said that. I was replying to the post saying Liverpool should cancel his contract because of what he did. He deserves his ban of course he does.

1 match
    Zico wrote: »
    You have point there but do you think Man Utd would have kept him if he Kung-fu kicked a fan for a second or even a third time?

I don't know. For me what cantona did was a lot worse than a single bite but the 3 bites is of course a lot more crazy. I just think he is too valuable to the club for them to take the moral high ground.

Cattermole, Barton etc. Would be fecked if we went all Health and Safety mad.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

1 match
    Cattermole, Barton etc. Would be fecked if we went all Health and Safety mad.

Joey Barton is more of a danger to his own health than anyone else to be fair.:)

He got a 12 match ban for tarnishing the image of the game didn't he?

the discussion is about suarez why are you dragging only united players in here?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

the discussion is about suarez why are you dragging only united players in here?

Thats rich coming from you considering your history of having a go at everything Liverpool :)
    up the lillies lol :P

4 matches

Well it's easy to drag in the cantona incident . When has a player ever assaulted a fan ? If he did that on the street he would be up in court for assault .

Nobody said his contract should be cancelled. What I said, and I was very clear on this, is that Liverpool have a responsibility to ensure that Suarez has dealt with his mental health issues (be they as simple as anger management or more complicated like psychosis, which is for a professional to assess) before he is let on the field again.

That is Liverpool's responsibility as an employer. I am also sure that it is part of the You'll never walk alone philosophy.

Never said that Suarez should be sold. This is really interesting test of what type of club Liverpool are. I am very interested in what happens.
    I never said that. I was replying to the post saying Liverpool should cancel his contract because of what he did. He deserves his ban of course he does.

This is the post you were replying to:

Where does it say Liverpool should cancel his contract?

I don't know. For me what cantona did was a lot worse than a single bite but the 3 bites is of course a lot more crazy. I just think he is too valuable to the club for them to take the moral high ground.

We are agreed that what Cantona did was worse but was his first offence. We can also agree that because it is Suarez' third offence, he got off easy because Cantona got a longer ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

The punishment makes no sense. When he got banned in 2013 for an act while playing for Liverpool; he missed a load of Liverpool games but still played for Uruguay in the Confederations Cup while he was banned for Liverpool.

Now he gets banned for an act while playing for Uruguay. He will likely miss one competitive game for Uruguay; and a load of games for Liverpool.

He should have been banned for two years international or something like that, so he also misses a Copa America for example. Right now Uruguay get off almost completely; apart from the ban for the next game but that's the same punishment as if he had got two yellow cards; or a typical red card if they also get to the quarters; which is very light.

There is no precedent for what happened where he also misses games for his club and I'd like to see if FIFA apply these rules consistently in future - very unlikely.

Don't feel sorry for Suarez himself but definitely feel sorry for Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Thats rich coming from you considering your history of having a go at everything Liverpool :)
    up the lillies lol :P
    i was only saying how much i liked suarez since he changed attitude great player but a nasty individual biting people

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Well it's easy to drag in the cantona incident . When has a player ever assaulted a fan ? If he did that on the street he would be up in court for assault .

He was in court for Assault and got a two week prison sentence that ended up as community service.

The punishment makes no sense. When he got banned in 2013 for an act while playing for Liverpool; he missed a load of Liverpool games but still played for Uruguay in the Confederations Cup while he was banned.

Now he gets banned for an act while playing for Uruguay. He will likely miss one competitive game for Uruguay; and a load of games for Liverpool.

He should have been banned for two years international or something like that, so he also misses a Copa America for example. Right now Uruguay get off almost completely; apart from the ban for the next game but that's the same punishment as if he had got two yellow cards; or a typical red card if they also get to the quarters; which is very light.

There is no precedent for what happened where he also misses games for his club and I'd like to see if FIFA apply these rules consistently in future - very unlikely.

His ban includes a 9 game competitive ban for Uruguay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

8 matches
    You would swear Cantona got off scot free the way some people go on.
    People do remember his ban right?

4 matches
    DM-ICE wrote: »
    He was in court for Assault and got a two week prison sentence that ended up as community service.

He should have been jailed for a few years for that . I would let anyone take a bite at me over getting a Kung fu style kick .

• Advertisement

The punishment makes no sense. When he got banned in 2013 for an act while playing for Liverpool; he missed a load of Liverpool games but still played for Uruguay in the Confederations Cup while he was banned for Liverpool.

You obviously didn't read the ban. He is banned for nine competitive international matches.

Assume Uruguay lose to Colombia, that is one match.

If Uruguay go out at group stage in 2015 Copa America, that is three matches.

There is a 2016 Copa involving North American teams, that would be another three matches if Uruguay go out early.

That would mean he could miss two matches of World Cup qualification for 2018 and could mean he doesn't play for Uruguay until October 2016.

Tbh, Lfc would have handled this much better. They got praised widely for their handling of him since the whole saga last Summer. He's always going to be contoversial, its about curtailing that and bringing out the good side of his obsessive need to win.

He should have been jailed for a few years for that . I would let anyone take a bite at me over getting a Kung fu style kick .

Two+ years in Jail? hardly. Cantona was lucky not to go to prison for two weeks but when it comes to criminal charges it wasn't that serious.

In football he was lucky it wasn't longer ban that would have made him too old to return from.

It has no real relevance to Suarez and his third biting incident anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

8 matches

Do you know much about sentencing?
    A few years for a kick in the chest?

Would you let someone take a bite out of your nose before a Kung Fu kick or is it just a specific bite you're talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

How's your knowledge of assault law? Is it based around what you think should happen on a case by case basis i.e. if it's Cantona or not? I'd more likely bring someone to court for an unprovoked bite than him going for me after abusing him. You'd be different presumably?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Sandraevra wrote: »
    He should be ok if he's muzzled 3times.?

Sorry! Computer glitch.

4 matches
    Do you know much about sentencing?
    A few years for a kick in the chest?

Would you let someone take a bite out of your nose before a Kung Fu kick or is it just a specific bite you're talking about?

Yeah cantona should have had the book thrown at him for that . Plenty of players get abused on a weekly basis and walk away .
    Yeah I would rather someone bite me . The wounds will heal after time . Since you brought getting bit in the face into then a king fu kick to the face could end up with a broken jaw , factued skull or if the blow was hard enough death .
    So yeah I would take being bitten any day of the week .

4 matches
    Liam O wrote: »
    How's your knowledge of assault law? Is it based around what you think should happen on a case by case basis i.e. if it's Cantona or not? I'd more likely bring someone to court for an unprovoked bite than him going for me after abusing him. You'd be different presumably?

Did cantona recieve abuse yes he did . How many players put up with abuse on a weekly basis ?
    If you are getting abuse it's easier to turn around and walk away then it is opening up a can of worms on yourself by throwing a punch or the likes .

Suarez did get a match ban for putting the finger up at a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Over 10 matches
    Liam O wrote: »
    Ah right so you didn't hear about the racism and going out to do a player that has been shown here in the last few days multiple times. Zidane? Get it together, seriously.

Eh, talking about physical transgressions here mate, not one man's word against another man's word.

Zidane what?

• Advertisement

Yeah cantona should have had the book thrown at him for that . Plenty of players get abused on a weekly basis and walk away .
    Yeah I would rather someone bite me . The wounds will heal after time . Since you brought getting bit in the face into then a king fu kick to the face could end up with a broken jaw , factued skull or if the blow was hard enough death .
    So yeah I would take being bitten any day of the week .
    Did cantona recieve abuse yes he did . How many players put up with abuse on a weekly basis ?
    If you are getting abuse it's easier to turn around and walk away then it is opening up a can of worms on yourself by throwing a punch or the likes .

So you don't know much about sentencing or the judicial law system (parts of the questions you didn't answer in the above).

If Cantona did more damage then he would have been punished a lot more and first offence of its type got him leniency.

If he bit a chunk of someone's ear off like Tyson then he would be in much more trouble. He didn't do any damage but as its the third time taking a bite at someone the punishment had to be more than the last couple of times etc.

I agree that any suggestions that Liverpool need to make sure he doesn't play again until he is "cured", is nonsense. I completely disagree with the idea that a footballer who on three separate occasions has decided to bite another footballer should not be punished for those actions both internationally and domestically. I did have sympathy for Liverpool initially, then I remembered they bought him while he was banned for a bite and kept him after the second incident so its hard to have that much sympathy, especially when he will probably miss less league games than he did for the last bite.

1 match
    Cantona was bonkers and utd loved him. Suarez is probably more bonkers and we love him. It's simple enough.

Cantona was bonkers and utd loved him. Suarez is probably more bonkers and we love him. It's simple enough.

What has that got to do with his ban and biting people though?

Being a fan of a player shouldn't stop a person ignoring reason while deciding if something is fair or not, its not like a debatable penalty decision, he bit someone, again!

Cantona Kung FU kicked someone the facts are pretty clear in both cases even if they are not that relevant to one another and almost 20 years apart.

but suarez wants a move away so he cares not for the fanbase

1 match
    DM-ICE wrote: »
    What has that got to do with his ban and biting people though?

Being a fan of a player shouldn't stop a person ignoring reason while deciding if something is fair or not, its not like a debatable penalty decision, he bit someone, again!

Cantona Kung FU kicked someone the facts are pretty clear in both cases even if they are not that relevant to one another and almost 20 years apart.

I think the ban is fair. He deserved the 4 months after I calmed down and thought about it. I'm more defending him on the part that people think liverpool should get rid of him. He is too good for that and any player that's gives everything when he is on the field will always get my support. Give me a player like Suarez any day with a streak of madness instead of a player who is happy to go through the motions.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

United loved him enough to enforce a ban of their own on him. What have Liverpool done about Suarez thus far apart from wearing t-shirts supporting him after racially abusing a player?

1 match
    but suarez wants a move away so he cares not for the fanbase

Did he tell you this.

1 match
    cournioni wrote: »
    United loved him enough to enforce a ban of their own on him. What have Liverpool done about Suarez thus far apart from wearing t-shirts supporting him after racially abusing a player?

Gave him all their support they could and made him the best striker in the premier league.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Gave him all their support they could and made him the best striker in the premier league.
    United banned Cantona until the end of the season. When he returned, he was the catalyst in making United double winners by scoring vital consecutive winning goals.

Maybe you should ban Suarez and you might win something. ;)

• Advertisement

Did he tell you this.
    you know he wants the move away to win stuff. you cant seriously say he doesnt

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement