Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will Suarez's ban be? Mod warning in OP and post#455

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

1 match
    cournioni wrote: »
    United banned Cantona until the end of the season. When he returned, he was the catalyst in making United double winners by scoring vital consecutive winning goals.

Maybe you should ban Suarez and you might win something. ;)

So they were both brilliant after their bans. Both fan bases were justified supporting both players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think the ban is fair. He deserved the 4 months after I calmed down and thought about it. I'm more defending him on the part that people think liverpool should get rid of him. He is too good for that and any player that's gives everything when he is on the field will always get my support. Give me a player like Suarez any day with a streak of madness instead of a player who is happy to go through the motions.

I don't think they should be expected to get rid of him either just because of another daft mistake, people make them all the time. If he is moved on it needs to be because its best for Liverpool and no other reason.

1 match
    you know he wants the move away to win stuff. you cant seriously say he doesnt

If he moves he moves. His time at liverpool will be a complete success. Turning a 7th place team into 2nd. Maybe shaw might do the same for utd. He cost more in fairness so he should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

If he moves he moves. His time at liverpool will be a complete success. Turning a 7th place team into 2nd. Maybe shaw might do the same for utd. He cost more in fairness so he should.
    maybe lallana might improve pool what is he costing 28? andy carroll all day long ;)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

So they were both brilliant after their bans. Both fan bases were justified supporting both players.
    Fans will always support their own especially if they're successful, but the club have to take some responsibility for their players actions.

Cantona did not reoffend after United enforced a ban on him, Suarez has and it is as a result of the club pandering to him and making out that he has done no wrong when clearly he had (the t-shirt support for him after he had been found guilty of using racist language against Evra is a perfect example of this).

In my eyes, he has been very disrespectful to Liverpool in the way he has acted on each occasion, just like Ferdinand disrespected United by missing his drugs test. I don't think a lot of non-United fans realise how much a lot of United fans dislike Ferdinand for how he has conducted himself over the years as a United player. The club should have been tougher on him in my opinion.

• Advertisement

1 match
    cournioni wrote: »
    Fans will always support their own especially if they're successful, but the club have to take some responsibility for their players actions.

Cantona did not reoffend after United enforced a ban on him, Suarez has and it is as a result of the club pandering to him and making out that he has done no wrong when clearly he had (the t-shirt support for him after he had been found guilty of using racist language against Evra is a perfect example of this).

In my eyes, he has been very disrespectful to Liverpool in the way he has acted on each occasion, just like Ferdinand disrespected United by missing his drugs test. I don't think a lot of non-United fans realise how much a lot of United fans dislike Ferdinand for how he has conducted himself over the years as a United player. The club should have been tougher on him in my opinion.

His actions on the field made Liverpool a force again. He brought them back into the champions league promise land. We nearly won the league from being a nothing team. You have to understand how we love the guy. He has given is so many moments of joy compared to his moments of madness. I love the guy and nothing is going to change that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

6 month global ban
    You have to understand how we love the guy. He has given is so many moments of joy compared to his moments of madness. I love the guy and nothing is going to change that fact.

So what you are saying is that his character doesn't matter? You will "love him" if he scores goals. Nothing is going to change that fact? Nothing? Don't you find that kind of sad?

The media ridiculously claiming he was a changed man because he was scoring last season was a joke. And fans who swore blind that they would never forgive him for publicly agitating for a move forget all about it all of a sudden. How fickle are they?

He can racially abuse somebody, he can kick and scream for a move away from your club, he can get himself banned for biting somebody twice, and yet all is forgiven if he scores goals. These aren't things outside of football, he's biting and diving and racially slurring on the same pitch as he's scoring on.

Want him kept, want him on the pitch, want him in your team and scoring goals, but any notion of respecting or loving a player who does these things is mental. Ability doesn't excuse bad behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

12 month global ban
    A football player has a 1 in 3.7 million chance of being bitten by a shark, but a 1 in 2000 chance of being bitten by Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

1 match
    So what you are saying is that his character doesn't matter?

It doesn't.

All that matters is winning. Taking part is for boy scouts. There are no morals in football. If you want morals join the priesthood (and they have none anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So what you are saying is that his character doesn't matter? You will "love him" if he scores goals. Nothing is going to change that fact? Nothing? Don't you find that kind of sad?

The media ridiculously claiming he was a changed man because he was scoring last season was a joke. And fans who swore blind that they would never forgive him for publicly agitating for a move forget all about it all of a sudden. How fickle are they?

He can racially abuse somebody, he can kick and scream for a move away from your club, he can get himself banned for biting somebody twice, and yet all is forgiven if he scores goals. These aren't things outside of football, he's biting and diving and racially slurring on the same pitch as he's scoring on.

Want him kept, want him on the pitch, want him in your team and scoring goals, but any notion of respecting or loving a player who does these things is mental. Ability doesn't excuse bad behaviour.

I know what you're saying - but this isn't real life. Nobody here loves him like a partner, or a parent, or a child. Everything is at a distance.

He'll be adored as long as he fulfills the primary wish of any fan. I think if we get down to it, people don't "love him", we love the emotions he inspires because it's to the benefit of the football club (which is in itself obviously nuts, but thats an issue for another day). He's a cog in the machine, and if his negatives to the club were to outweigh his positive contributions, you would see the emotions change. For a lot of us, it hasn't reached that point yet.

I feel like in issues like this, people often need to be reminded that this is football, not life. Emotion in football is like a hyperbolic version of emotions in real life. In football people love their heroes that much more, hate their enemy that much more, and experience highs and lows at a frequency which doesn't occur in the outside world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Yeah cantona should have had the book thrown at him for that . Plenty of players get abused on a weekly basis and walk away .
    Yeah I would rather someone bite me . The wounds will heal after time . Since you brought getting bit in the face into then a king fu kick to the face could end up with a broken jaw , factued skull or if the blow was hard enough death .
    So yeah I would take being bitten any day of the week .

He did have the book thrown at him.
    I don't know. For me what cantona did was a lot worse than a single bite but the 3 bites is of course a lot more crazy. I just think he is too valuable to the club for them to take the moral high ground.

Didnt United ban him before the FA?
    Not for as long mind you but they were pre-emptive from what I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

3 matches
    The comments from real sports people like Maradona, Donal Og and even Cheillini himself have made a mockery of all the faux outrage and hyperbole. Even Dunphy talked a lot of sense about it the other night....FIFA are a sham. The sentence is a sham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Vanolder wrote: »
    The comments from real sports people like Maradona, Donal Og and even Cheillini himself have made a mockery of all the faux outrage and hyperbole. Even Dunphy talked a lot of sense about it the other night....FIFA are a sham. The sentence is a sham.

Maybe we need to blame Suarez for this, just maybe. The ban is four months because Suarez, who had been banned for biting twice, still continues to offend. Biting is not the worst thing in the world but it's still disgusting. The fact that he's brushed off two previous biting incidents and continued to bite again means that the guy hasn't learned his lesson.

The worst offenders, bar Suarez, out of this whole saga are the Uruguayans - who continue to keep their heads in the sand over this incident. FIFA had to be serious on this incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

8 matches

You're just picking out the ones that agree with your view, what about all the other "real sports people" that are shocked by it?

Are Ruud Gullit, Usain Bolt or Paul Scholes not real sports people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Don't forget the English media.

The English media made him bite people 3 times, their fault not Luis !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

7 matches
    I blame him for his actions, but I'm not gonna go around crying outrage like he shat in my granny's coffin.

There's a middle ground. The hyperbole becomes annoying and embarrassing for those in the middle to read.

As does the blind defending of him.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I blame him for his actions, but I'm not gonna go around crying outrage like he shat in my granny's coffin.

There's a middle ground. The hyperbole becomes annoying and embarrassing for those in the middle to read.

to be fair if there werent so many blindly defending him on two occasions re biting and once for racially abusing a guy just trying to play football i think the hyperbole would be an awful lot less obvious. i am in no way saying all pool fans are behaving like that i know some really reasonable real world fans and some of you boards lads but some of the blatant defending of him is embarrassing for liverpool. liverpool were once known as one of the biggest clubs now they seem dwarfed by one single player.. its a sad day for pool fans imo. all you have to do is look at poll results to see the pool fans here that are blindly defending him #embarrassing....

what would shankly say seeing if he were around to see all this? think long and hard lads leaving united pool out of it suarez is making a mockery of your club and you need him gone asap imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

1 match

I agree with this.

However this is the third incident in as many years involving Suarez and it seems he's not the only one who can't learn from the past and adjust his behaviour.

Most people, unconnected to Suarez or the teams he plays for, probably don't really care what he gets up but just draw great amusement from watching 'die hards' twist themselves in knots trying to justify his behaviour and crying injustice every time he does something unacceptable.

It's all very childish but there's only Suarez and brands associated with him being tarnished by it.

Rival fans wanting Suarez gone "for the good of your club" says it all.

It was similar to same guys saying Hodgson deserved more time at Liverpool. Or indeed many including myself saying Moyes should be given another chance at Utd.

If it was Aspas biting people nobody would care less if he was sold bar Liverpool fans.

Hyperbole indeed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

8 matches
    rarnes1 wrote: »

It was similar to same guys saying Hodgson deserved more time at Liverpool. Or indeed many including myself saying Moyes should be given another chance at Utd.

If it was Aspas biting people nobody would care less if he was sold bar Liverpool fans.

Hyperbole indeed

I think people here are overestimating the amount of rival fans that are saying he should be sold for the good of the club. I've seen very few say this.

1 match

Not all rival fans want him sold. Some can see he'll do much more damage if he stays.

His 'mad' incidents are becoming more frequent so it's very possible he could be in trouble again next season.

7 matches
    Hyperbole breeds over-defensiveness, breeds more hyperbole, breeds ridiculous defence and the cycle just continues.

The ban is justified, time wise. All the stuff about not training, or doing anything football related is ridiculous. That's too far, and probably not thought out well enough by FIFA to be held up properly.

Its also unfair on Liverpool and and I'd like to see the ban reduced for Liverpool's sake, even if Suarez doesn't deserve that.

Unless he's being sold, in which case... Meh. The next club are buying him with a ban, knowingly. Nothing too unfair there.

Zico wrote: »
    Not all rival fans want him sold. Some can see he'll do much more damage if he stays.

His 'mad' incidents are becoming more frequent so it's very possible he could be in trouble again next season.

Are they actually more frequent or did you make that up?

1 match

I don't keep a bloody diary.

I don't keep a bloody diary.

So you made it up.

1 match
    So you made it up.

I'm going on memory.

But I'm sure you'll tell me if I'm wrong.

Hyperbole indeed

Would Liverpool fans be defending aspas as much if it was him ?

I don't think so.

egghead. wrote: »
    Would Liverpool fans be defending aspas as much if it was him ?

I don't think so.

Of course not. That's my point.

Also, I'm not defending Suarez actions but I want him to stay as hes a world class player.

• Advertisement

I'm going on memory.

But I'm sure you'll tell me if I'm wrong.

You are.

Of course not. That's my point.

Also, I'm not defending Suarez actions but I want him to stay as hes a world class player.

So Liverpool fans know deep down it's not acceptable but are trying to defend him because he's a great player.

If someone is wrong in their actions just because their good at some aspect of their life shouldn't excuse their actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

It's not more frequent I think but an ongoing issue ... And I agree he could do something similar next season. He clearly can't control himself

So Liverpool fans know deep down it's not acceptable but are trying to defend him because he's a great player.

If someone is wrong in their actions just because their good at some aspect of their life shouldn't excuse their actions.

Who thinks it's acceptable to bite another player? Find me that person

I'd rather the club worked with him, helped him and got him back scoring goals for LFC.

1 match
    You are.

I'm wrong half a dozen times a day and I'd rather be wrong about that than whether I left the immersion on.:P

Balls! Now I'm worrying about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

6 matches

The first bite was in 2010, the second in 2013 and the third in 2014 so there appears to be some sort of acceleration happening

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    The first bite was in 2010, the second in 2013 and the third in 2014 so there appears to be some sort of acceleration happening

He didn't specify bites

7 matches
    I love when the people who spend most of the time slagging off Liverpool roll out the old "He's dragging the name of Liverpool down"

D'fck do you care?!

Who thinks it's acceptable to bite another player? Find me that person

I'd rather the club worked with him, helped him and got him back scoring goals for LFC.

I have seen a lot of fans brush it off as a nibble, and it's acceptable in Uruguay because it's win at but costs.

Anyway I take your point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

But it happens all the time.

Marlon King got a contract with a club after being released from prisoon for sexual assault. He might get another club after he's released from prison this time, where he's currently serving a sentence for drink-driving.

This argument about players being role-models is a load of nonsense, and everybody knows it. Players will be allowed get away with almost anything as long as they're contrbuting to their club's improvement/success.

Liverpool are in no way unique in their tolerance of nasty behaviour by players.

osarusan wrote: »
    But it happens all the time.

Marlon King got a contract with a club after being released from prisoon for sexual assault. He might get another club after he's released from prison this time, where he's currently serving a sentence for drink-driving.

This argument about players being role-models is a load of nonsense, and everybody knows it. Players will be allowed get away with almost anything as long as they're contrbuting to their club's improvement/success.

Liverpool are in no way unique in their tolerance of nasty behaviour by players.

Just because it happens doesn't make it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

He didn't specify bites

Biting people repeatedly are mad incidents .

1 match
    I love when the people who spend most of the time slagging off Liverpool roll out the old "He's dragging the name of Liverpool down"

D'fck do you care?!

I think it's 'faux' concern.

7 matches
    I think it's 'faux' concern.

It's temporarily putting Liverpool on a pedostol to rip them down in the same sentence. Passive aggressive and definitely 'faux', something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

@Marcotti
    Follow
    Suarez told FIFA he lost balance + fell into Chiellini, with his mouth hitting his shoulder, but NO BITE.

Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

12 month global ban
    An interesting piece by Donal Og Cusack here...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/donal-og-cusack/suarez-is-just-another-crazy-mixed-up-kid-not-a-bad-person-273535.html

Balanced and well thought out, unlike most of the faux outrage we see on here.
    It's a long enough article so I don't expect most of the anti-Suarez, anti-LFC lot to read it.

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    An interesting piece by Donal Og Cusack here...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/donal-og-cusack/suarez-is-just-another-crazy-mixed-up-kid-not-a-bad-person-273535.html

Balanced and well thought out, unlike most of the faux outrage we see on here.
    It's a long enough article so I don't expect most of the anti-Suarez, anti-LFC lot to read it.

Just Stinks of the poor little mixed up kid attitude in this country.

Ah sure he had a poor upbringing so it's not his fault he constantly offends.

Only difference is Suarez has millions and a loving family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

12 month global ban
    Just Stinks of the poor little mixed up kid attitude in this country.

Ah sure he had a poor upbringing so it's not his fault he constantly offends.

Only difference is Suarez has millions and a loving family.

As expected.

We all need a villain in our lives to make up for the mundane, don't we......

It's temporarily putting Liverpool on a pedostol to rip them down in the same sentence. Passive aggressive and definitely 'faux', something.
    pedestal..

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    As expected.

We all need a villain in our lives to make up for the mundane, don't we......

Yes that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Most of the Suarez sympathy seems to be coming from fellow sportsmen - Chielini himself, Maradona, Cusack etc. Maybe they have a closer insight to the temperament of someone like Suarez when in a pressure-cooker situation than us average joe's.

Except Danny Mills of course, but I think anyone who says "lock him up and throw away the key" shouldn't really be listened to by anyone about anything at any time :-D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement