Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will Suarez's ban be? Mod warning in OP and post#455

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I clicked 10, not sure why. It will be about 6 I think. Probably enough so he's back in time for most of Copa America next year.

Would be funny if it was 3 and Uruguay got to the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

7 matches
    Whatever about Pepe and Zidane they'll have to take into account that this is Suarez's 3rd time doing it.

If they didn't take into account the two of them being repeat offenders, I'm not sure what grounds they'd have for Suarez.
    salmocab wrote: »
    The idea of a global ban is only a joke in soccer, if that happened in rugby the third offense would likely be a lifetime ban from any rugby at any level.

Nonsense. The longest ban for gouging a players eye was 2 years.

Dylan Hartly bit Stephen Ferris, called a ref a cheat, gouged someone and has a terrible disciplinary record even excluding that. He still plays, for England, no less.

Rugby's disciplinary system is a lot more robust than football's, but it's not robust enough to cover the lifetime bans that some are suggesting in their masturbatory revenge fantasies on Suarez.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

4 matches
    My guess would be a 3 match/ 2 month ban for violent conduct . Any more than a 3 match ban and he can appeal it and I think don't think FIFA want this dragged out .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

7 matches
    No ban and he receives money for emotional abuse by the worlds media and liverpool get 85 million plus 2 players from barca and he flops there breaking a leg early on in accidentally and never quite recapturing the form of last year all the while liverpool finally win the league and united sign 5 more attacking midfielders and persist with rooney.

Or he gets a 12 game ban turning any potential buyers off him leaving liverpool short in their league and champions league campaign early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

1 match
    I hope they let him off with a warning.

He'll do it again of course but he'll probably get a life ban for the next one.

Article in the independent saying in Brazil it's a comedy while in Italy Ballotelli is getting more blame than Suarez for the exit.

In England calls for jail and huge worldwide bans from ex players. Irish haters will take the lead from this direction

I'd say he'll get a year ban.

Would it justify the punishment? Not imo.

He should be certainly helped as it's not normal behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

7 matches
    Morzadec wrote: »
    Well I can tell you that in Spain it was nothing more than a side note in all the papers I read.

The first story was Godin and Italy's elimination, with a mention of the Suarez incident in a paragraph of the article or a separate shorter article. Italy's papers led with their exit from the World Cup.

Today the talk is of Neymar vs Messi, two potential World Cup greats, later the focus will move onto the actual football being played. These are bigger stories than Suarez.

Meanwhile the BBC have had the Suarez story as their lead since the incident happened, and have relegated talk of actual football to the sidelines. As far as I know this is not happening in any other country.

Those who consume Dutch or German media or whatever other country can fill me in, but I imagine the Suarez story is a side story and not the massive event it is here and in the UK.

So, from what I can gather, to claimi t is the biggest event in world football right now is wrong. There is still a World Cup going on, and people care more about this in general

It was large news as well in Holland. Although his first biting incident happened here so maybe thats why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

10 matches
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    I can't believe the amount of people who think that Fifa can't ban him from club football.

Its not like they are the governing body of world football or anything.

He deserves a long ban from international football but I've this awful feeling that Fifa will make an example out of him to please the sensationalists.

One of the guys on the RTE panel said something about Fifa being reluctant to ban him from club football as Liverpool would inevitably get the lawyers involved and given other acts like head butts etc have not resulted bans from international let alone club football they would have grounds for complaint.

I don't know what the procedure is but when there's big money involved which there is in club football then it could get messy and Fifa may want to avoid anything messy.

I can't believe the amount of people who think that Fifa can't ban him from club football.

He deserves a long ban from international football but I've this awful feeling that Fifa will make an example out of him to please the sensationalists.

They can of course but it could open a can of worms in club v country.

Clubs basically pay their wages and may not be as willing to let them go to friendlies for instance.

I'd imagine FIFA don't want any threat of legal action or appeals from Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 JamesGW

1 match
    I suspect there will be no ban or at most a one match ban ..... due to the fact that outside these islands it doesn't appear to be much of a story.
    On thje issue of what I think the ban should be ..... it should be 1/3 of whatever ban Chiellini receives for his use (or attempted use ..... though he does seem to make contact with Suárez head) of his elbow in the incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

FIFA are so not into pleasing the sensationalists.

Klinsmann's dive was the decisive act in a World Cup final nearly 25 years ago and they still haven't budged on that. They will do something because try have to but they'd love is they could keep him in the tournament. Don't think they can though.

Suarez is important for Uruguay defending the Copa which matters in terms of a global audience. He'll be back for that.

He'll be free to play for Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

5 matches
    Pugsly wrote: »
    One of the guys on the RTE panel said something about Fifa being reluctant to ban him from club football as Liverpool would inevitably get the lawyers involved and given other acts like head butts etc have not resulted bans from international let alone club football they would have grounds for complaint.

I don't know what the procedure is but when there's big money involved which there is in club football then it could get messy and Fifa may want to avoid anything messy.

FIFA definitely want to avoid those problems and it's certain they would never even consider a universal ban because of it.

FIFA have a billion Euro "cash reserve" that they could use to pay their own lawyers to fight any such case, but they won't. This is just more evidence of the organisation's total incompetence at governing the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

8 matches
    JamesGW wrote: »
    I suspect there will be no ban or at most a one match ban ..... due to the fact that outside these islands it doesn't appear to be much of a story.
    On thje issue of what I think the ban should be ..... it should be 1/3 of whatever ban Chiellini receives for his use (or attempted use ..... though he does seem to make contact with Suárez head) of his elbow in the incident

My word... As old Ray Wilkins would say.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

7 matches
    If it was in England I'd say at least 10 matches, given I'd say they'd be less tolerant of the repeat offence.

With FIFA, I'd say a 6 match international ban.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

4 matches
    Firing squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

7 matches
    JamesGW wrote: »

Chiellini should recieve zero punishment, for defending himself, if you ask me. Natural reaction, for most people, is that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Should be banned for 10-15 international matches and fined.

Of course, all other incidents now need to be looked into and bans carried out accordingly. Only fair. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

FIFA are already a laughing stock because of Dubai so they will want to be seen to do the right thing. I believe it will be longer than the Ivanovic bite ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

You rarely get something as blatant though, you won't see somebody giving a peoples elbow while the other player is lying on the ground, it's normally ambiguous while two players are going for the ball or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

3 matches
    You rarely get something as blatant though, you won't see somebody giving a peoples elbow while the other player is lying on the ground, it's normally ambiguous while two players are going for the ball or something

Costa walked up to and headbutted a Dutch player and the ball was no where to be seen. Pepe headbutted a man on the ground...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

7 matches
    It's interesting to see the wide range of opinions expressed - some thinking he'll get off Scott free, others thinking a year ban. What is the thinking behind this? I have to say a year ban would shock me.

Thinking about it more, Gbear makes a good point that Pepe and Zudane had previous for violent conduct and yet got away with light bans... Will his previous be taken into account, or will the incident be judged on its merits alone? If it's the latter he may get a glimmer of hope of playing in this World Cup but I would doubt it.

I just can't see either of the two extremes (a very long ban, or a complete escape). I just think it has to be some kind of ban, almost certainly enough to end his World Cup, but not enough to effect much beyond that.

I played soccer 2 weeks ago and I got an elbow in the eye which resulted in a nice big shiner for 4-5 days. At the time I actually considered it my own fault because I did not get my arms up high enough to protect myself while attempting to make the header.

Now I am thinking that guy who elbowed me should be banned from 6-a-side astro turf soccer for 1-2 years - what do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

3 matches
    Three games - the same punishment he would have got has the referee seen it.

7 matches
    Another incident to consider - Song got 3 games for his elbow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

9 matches
    I clicked 8 games but as I was sneezing at the time I might have just as easily have voted for 1 game or 24 months global ban. I dunno. :confused:

7 matches
    mike65 wrote: »
    I clicked 8 games but as I was sneezing at the time I might have meant to hit 1 game or 24 months global ban. I dunno. :confused:

There's Blatter's excuse, right there.

7 matches
    Grayditch wrote: »
    Chiellini should recieve zero punishment, for defending himself, if you ask me. Natural reaction, for most people, is that.

Yeah Chiellini's reaction was a simple flailing arm "wtf get off me?!?"

Impossible to blame him imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I hope Liverpool have something in his contract regarding professional misconduct that they'll be able to use to fine him for his actions. Regarding FIFA, I'd say they'll ban him for the rest of the world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

taidghbaby wrote: »
    I think he should be stoned

then he'll get the munchies! something I think we could all agree is not needed.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Yeah Chiellini's reaction was a simple flailing arm "wtf get off me?!?"

Impossible to blame him imo

Correct, did people expect him to turn the other shoulder?

• Advertisement

7 matches
    I do believe Suarez's teeth were hurt when Chiellini threw his elbow up, which, you know... is fair game.

It's probably a common occurrence when biting something that's still alive, I know dentists definitely don't recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

8 matches
    Vanolder wrote: »
    Costa walked up to and headbutted a Dutch player and the ball was no where to be seen. Pepe headbutted a man on the ground...

I don't think I've ever seen a headbutt in professional football. Plenty of headnudges alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Is retrospective citing/banning going to be used in other cases (ie. the couple of elbows thrown in last night's French game) or does it only apply to this incident?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I don't think I've ever seen a headbutt in professional football. Plenty of headnudges alright.

tomatoe / tomato ?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

3 matches

I haven't seen anyone bite someone properly. Plenty of nibbles alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

1 match
    What time will it be announced more like it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Never see Basile Boli and Stuart Pearce??? Hardly a nudge!

Wasn't Duncan Ferguson in court when at Rangers for a headbutt too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

12 month global ban
    Pugsly wrote: »
    One of the guys on the RTE panel said something about Fifa being reluctant to ban him from club football as Liverpool would inevitably get the lawyers involved....

Surely Liverpool would have the cop on to realise how damaging all that would be to their brand and image? A gifted footballer has single-handedly turned himself into a PR/Marketing nightmare. He has bitten a player in Holland, he has bitten a player in England and now he has bitten a player at the World Cup. This is pretty much unprecedented territory we are in here and Liverpool have some real serious soul searching to do. FIFA will have to look at this guys history and track record. Because previous punishment appears to have done nothing to amend his behaviour. That's why I choose the 6 month global ban, as being the most likely outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

9 matches
    What time will it be announced more like it?

I'd say it'll be at about 9 PM ie 24 hours after the submission deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 jasoncoylerd

5 matches

what if suarez had went in on him studs up two footed challenge and chilleni reacted the same? threw an elbow at him.......

suarez would get a 3 match ban and likely chilleni would too.........not saying its right but its strange chillenis reaction will be overlooked because its not a conventional violent act on a football pitch suarez performed on him......

liverpool fan personally and suarez definitely deserves a ban........3 to 6 games max would suffice, certain players still playing have done a lot worse on and off the field and arent witch hunted like suarez , simply because theyre not one of the best players in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

The problem they face is that this is the third time Suarez has done this. What happens if/when he does it again. I think it should be about a 10 game international ban.

5 matches
    drkpower wrote: »
    Is retrospective citing/banning going to be used in other cases (ie. the couple of elbows thrown in last night's French game) or does it only apply to this incident?

It's already in use. Keep up.

I do believe Suarez's teeth were hurt when Chiellini threw his elbow up, which, you know... is fair game.

It's probably a common occurrence when biting something that's still alive, I know dentists definitely don't recommend it.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

7 matches
    I think he'll get 6 games. Shame really because I had been enjoying watching him this WC and it will be a lesser tournament with him not in it

3 matches
    Surely Liverpool would have the cop on to realise how damaging all that would be to their brand and image? A gifted footballer has single-handedly turned himself into a PR/Marketing nightmare. He has bitten a player in Holland, he has bitten a player in England and now he has bitten a player at the World Cup. This is pretty much unprecedented territory we are in here and Liverpool have some real serious soul searching to do. FIFA will have to look at this guys history and track record. Because previous punishment appears to have done nothing to amend his behaviour. That's why I choose the 6 month global ban, as being the most likely outcome.

Suarez jerseys are selling better than ever, the guy is box office, everyone wants to see what he is going to do next- Give him a ten year contract I say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

what if suarez had went in on him studs up two footed challenge and chilleni reacted the same? threw an elbow at him.......

suarez would get a 3 match ban and likely chilleni would too.........not saying its right but its strange chillenis reaction will be overlooked because its not a conventional violent act on a football pitch suarez performed on him......

liverpool fan personally and suarez definitely deserves a ban........3 to 6 games max would suffice, certain players still playing have done a lot worse on and off the field and arent witch hunted like suarez , simply because theyre not one of the best players in the world

Ah jog on pal. He sunk his teeth in to him ffs. What do you think Chiellini is going to do.

What players have done worse and what did they do that was worse

7 matches

Threw his elbow in to shake his leg off his leg which wasn't clamped down because of the lack of teeth on leg with which to bite another leg with your leg?

Come on, now.

5 matches

Chiellini was fighting Suarez off, not retaliating after the fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

4 game international ban. FIFA won't have the balls to ban him for any longer or for club and country even though he's proved to be a danger to his fellow players 3 times now. Waiting for the day that he does it 'in the heat of the moment' again and gets an ear or cheek to do real damage.

3 matches
    The faux outrage is hilarious....:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement