Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will Suarez's ban be? Mod warning in OP and post#455

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Most of the Suarez sympathy seems to be coming from fellow sportsmen - Chielini himself, Maradona, Cusack etc. Maybe they have a closer insight to the temperament of someone like Suarez when in a pressure-cooker situation than us average joe's.

Except Danny Mills of course, but I think anyone who says "lock him up and throw away the key" shouldn't really be listened to by anyone about anything at any time :-D

This is not true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Most sympathy is coming from non-sportmen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

7 matches
    pedestal..

Good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

6 matches
    Fr. Ned wrote: »
    An interesting piece by Donal Og Cusack here...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/donal-og-cusack/suarez-is-just-another-crazy-mixed-up-kid-not-a-bad-person-273535.html

Balanced and well thought out, unlike most of the faux outrage we see on here.
    It's a long enough article so I don't expect most of the anti-Suarez, anti-LFC lot to read it.

Read it all. doesnt mean much tbh. the rules apply to all so his harsh youth shouldnt come into it.

fyi cusacks point about football fixing suarez' issues. well hed do well to put that focus into discipline fwiw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

pedestal..

Not to be pedantic but I believe the term is "pedalstool"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

6 matches
    fyfe79 wrote: »
    Most sympathy is coming from non-sportmen?

well look at the numbers.

anyway i think the media have given him are hard time but he's a big player at a big club with a big record of breaking taboos, he's bound to get that grief.

The bottom line with this is it's his own bloody fault that he bit someone for the 3rd time in his career as a professional since he came to Europe. He's been punished more severly each time (fair enough) and the profile of when he does it is increasing (shouldnt impact on his punishment but understandably brought into the media's reckoning).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I pretty much discounted sympathy from Uruguayans and LFC fans due to obvious biasism (is that even a word?), but I don't see any sympathy from other parties, just sportsmen.

Still, it's hard to disagree with the ban, but I would've liked to see some form of 'treatment' be a part of the punishment. Attend the treatment, have some of the ban reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Quandary wrote: »
    Not to be pedantic but I believe the term is "pedalstool"

Stop being a damp squid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

2 matches
    I think the ban is over the top and opens up a can of worms for FIFA re future bans. I can see clubs looking for extra insurance from FIFA and international teams against the loss of a valuable asset - or the players won't be released. No problem if your country is England or Italy. But if you play for Ghana or Kenya it could be an issue.

No one can defend what he did. We can argue over the severity of the ban though.
    However, he must look at himself first and say if I didn't do it they couldn't ban me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The Uruguayan FA and managers reaction to this is exactly like Liverpool's during the first couple of indiscretions. Blame the media for a witchhunt, player is a great professional etc. Liverpool have now realised he's a headcase and keep quiet and cool, only way to handle the shiitstorm. The Uruguayan statements are like they've been written in crayon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

1 match
    I can see clubs looking for extra insurance from FIFA and international teams against the loss of a valuable asset

They might get insurance to cover injury on international duty but they won't get insurance for suspension due to misconduct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

Anyone can understand Suarez being banned but if the same people using video evidence to discipline players leave this unpunished then there is something wrong IMO

GenerousEnchantingInganue.gif

sorry if this GIF was posted earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

12 month global ban
    weisses wrote: »
    Anyone can understand Suarez being banned but if the same people using video evidence to discipline players leave this unpunished then there is something wrong IMO

GenerousEnchantingInganue.gif

sorry if this GIF was posted earlier

Ah, you see the Suarez thing was teeth making contact with arm, this is an example of arm making contact with teeth.
    Perfectly acceptable in the screwed up minds of some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Ah, you see the Suarez thing was teeth making contact with arm, this is an example of arm making contact with teeth.
    Perfectly acceptable in the screwed up minds of some.

Please stop.

12 month global ban
    egghead. wrote: »
    Please stop.

No.

• Advertisement

12 month global ban
    Please stop.

Tell you what, for an Arsenal fan you seem to have a real interest in all things Suarez/Liverpool/Uruguay.
    100 posts and over 50 of them are about the above.
    Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Tell you what, for an Arsenal fan you seem to have a real interest in all things Suarez/Liverpool/Uruguay.
    100 posts and over 50 of them are about the above.
    Strange.

Even stranger you would trawl through my posts and count them.

Anyway each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

6 month global ban
    So has this descended into a Liverpool V's Man Utd clusterfcuk yet ?

12 month global ban
    Even stranger you would trawl through my posts and count them.

Anyway each to their own.

Takes less than a minute to 'trawl' through 100 posts.

It's good to know who I'm engaging with.

RayCon wrote: »
    So has this descended into a Liverpool V's Man Utd clusterfcuk yet ?

As usual

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

8 matches
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    As usual

You say that like you don't get involved or something :pac:

You say that like you don't get involved or something :pac:

I have a fair few posts in this thread and afaik haven't mentioned Utd once.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Easy solution suarez gets his teeth removed and gets a set of falsies which he leaves in the dressing room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

2 matches
    Zico wrote: »
    They might get insurance to cover injury on international duty but they won't get insurance for suspension due to misconduct.

Suarez's wages are 250k per week.
    Liverpool should tell Uruguay/FIFA that he won't get permission to play international football again unless they are covered for all eventualities. That type of thing on a large scale would soften their cough. (or he's unavailable with a hamstring injury - again!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

5 matches
    Grayditch wrote: »
    I love when the people who spend most of the time slagging off Liverpool roll out the old "He's dragging the name of Liverpool down"

D'fck do you care?!

It's a weird one all right. I'm delighted he's making Liverpool look bad and giving me a laugh at the club's expense. I had been hoping that they would sell him because he's so good, but the laughs he provides, coupled with the lengthy bans (which limit all forms of damage he can do) mean I'd be sad now if that happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

1 match
    Pro. F wrote: »
    It's a weird one all right. I'm delighted he's making Liverpool look bad and giving me a laugh at the club's expense. I had been hoping that they would sell him because he's so good, but the laughs he provides, coupled with the lengthy bans (which limit all forms of damage he can do) mean I'd be sad now if that happened.

That post is just plain bizarre. Your laughing at a man who scored 30 league last season. Even with his bans he plays more games than all the other top scorers in the last year. Do you really care that liverpool look bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

He provided me with a lot of laughs last season too. Football has a memory like a goldfish. Wherever he plys his trade next, if he starts scoring lots of goals and playing like he can, that will be the big story.

I was amazed how easily the Evra and Ivanovic baggage disappeared once he started to perform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Suarez's latest statement is comical and actually makes me believe he is just a disgusting person rather than a case of the "it wasn't his fault he has problems" angle some seem to be peddling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I didn't punch him, he ran into my fist.

7 matches
    I'm interested to see what solidifies the "disguisting person" opinion.

Probably not interested enough to Google it, though, how bad are we talking?

• Advertisement

BrOPbggCQAEGth8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

BrOPbggCQAEGth8.jpg

There is no way he could have said that with a straight face:P

Suarez's latest statement is comical and actually makes me believe he is just a disgusting person rather than a case of the "it wasn't his fault he has problems" angle some seem to be peddling

Disgusting person, lol,give me a break. Time to unleash the moral values.

Footballers would be way down the list on people you'd hold as role models tbh.

7 matches
    Did you not expect a statement like that once Uruguay planned a defence, thought?

Saying that, I'd be fairly embarrassed to have to put my name to that, no matter what the lawyers said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

To be fair thats the excuse they cooked up for the hearing a few days ago. He hasn't just released that now.

It was a pathetic excuse that got the short shrift it deserved.

5 matches
    niallo27 wrote: »
    That post is just plain bizarre. Your laughing at a man who scored 30 league last season. Even with his bans he plays more games than all the other top scorers in the last year. Do you really care that liverpool look bad.

No, I'm laughing at Liverpool for having a player who regular bites opposition players which obviously makes the club look bad and gives me something to slag you, the fans, about. Of course I care if Liverpool look bad. If Liverpool were some super respectable club I wouldn't have as much to slag you about.

He did not play more than all the other top scorers last season. I just had a check there, and while he played 33 games, the first one I checked, Yaya (apparently City finished first), played 35. If Suarez had played in the games he was banned for last season, there's a good chance Liverpool would have won the league. And I'm supposed to not be happy about this turn of events?

Did you not expect a statement like that once Uruguay planned a defence, thought?

Saying that, I'd be fairly embarrassed to have to put my name to that, no matter what the lawyers said.

It'd be a decent defence if all the FIFA members were actually blind. Damn eyes eh. I blame evolution

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I would have expected a temporary insanity defence or even it was retaliation for something but not an "oops i slipped into him" statement when every angle of the incident was available

5 matches

The reaction from the Uruguayan manager, public, president and the president of their FA makes the country look pretty bad too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Lol at the statement. If that is the appeal then an extension should be handed down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

That statement is an insult to everyone with the gift of sight.

The reaction from the Uruguayan manager, public, president and the president of their FA makes the country look pretty bad too.

I would say they don't give 2 fcuks what people think and that's not me being a smart árse. I'd expect them to even ramp up the publicity on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

6 month global ban
    The ban should be increased for the frivolous nature of the appeal, no question.

7 matches
    If he went with the "OK I did it, but..." that's sort of the end of an appeal and more of a plea for lenience... Which, who knows, might have been better.

1 match
    No, I'm laughing at Liverpool for having a player who regular bites opposition players which obviously makes the club look bad and gives me something to slag you, the fans, about. Of course I care if Liverpool look bad. If Liverpool were some super respectable club I wouldn't have as much to slag you about.

He did not play more than all the other top scorers last season. I just had a check there, and while he played 33 games, the first one I checked, Yaya (apparently City finished first), played 35. If Suarez had played in the games he was banned for last season, there's a good chance Liverpool would have won the league. And I'm supposed to not be happy about this turn of events?

I meant his time at the club including all his bans. Liverpool had a great start to the season last year so I don't think Suarez being out made any difference. Where do you think Liverpool would have come without Suarez.

• Advertisement

If he had admitted it was an idiotic thing to do but argued the severity of the ban when compared to breaking someones nose and the like, I think there would have been a good chance it would be reduced

That statement is insulting the intelligence of everyone with the ability of sight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

5 matches
    BrOPbggCQAEGth8.jpg

Not really surprised he got the four month ban if that was his defence. It's basically taking the piss.

1 match
    I think it's brilliant. Just proves how bonkers he is. They should reduce the ban for the balls it took to give that statement.

5 matches
    I meant his time at the club including all his bans. Liverpool had a great start to the season last year so I don't think Suarez being out made any difference. Where do you think Liverpool would have come without Suarez.

You lost by one goal to Southampton and drew with Swansea, so to say you think that one of the best strikers in the world wouldn't have made any difference is ridiculous. You can work out yourself how much use 4 extra points would have been in such a close title race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

6 month global ban
    I think it's brilliant. Just proves how bonkers he is. They should reduce the ban for the balls it took to give that statement.

Jesus Christ.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement