Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will Suarez's ban be? Mod warning in OP and post#455

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

7 matches
    Surely Liverpool would have the cop on to realise how damaging all that would be to their brand and image? A gifted footballer has single-handedly turned himself into a PR/Marketing nightmare. He has bitten a player in Holland, he has bitten a player in England and now he has bitten a player at the World Cup. This is pretty much unprecedented territory we are in here and Liverpool have some real serious soul searching to do. FIFA will have to look at this guys history and track record. Because previous punishment appears to have done nothing to amend his behaviour. That's why I choose the 6 month global ban, as being the most likely outcome.

Suarez is marketing gold. Mad as a box of frogs as well as being an incredible footballer. I certainly wouldn't have watched LFC half as much as I did last year without him in the team.

When it comes down to it football is for our entertainment, and whatever objections your moral compass may have it is a fact that Suarez is probably the most entertaining player in the world right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Vanolder wrote: »
    The faux outrage is hilarious....:D

Where are you getting the " faux" from? It was a repulsive act which no right thinking individual wouldn't be appalled at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

I don't know how much outrage there is bar the usual Sky hyperbole.

You have to admit though that it can't go unpunished and biting is a particularly scummy act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Red Pepper wrote: »
    FIFA are already a laughing stock because of Dubai so they will want to be seen to do the right thing. I believe it will be longer than the Ivanovic bite ban.

FYP :)

Whatever ban he does or doesnt get, there is going to be uproar in Uruguay because its too long, Britain because its too short, and the rest of the world couldnt give a fcuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

3 matches
    Suarez is marketing gold. Mad as a box of frogs as well as being an incredible footballer. I certainly wouldn't have watched LFC half as much as I did last year without him in the team.

When it comes down to it football is for our entertainment, and whatever objections your moral compass may have it is a fact that Suarez is probably the most entertaining player in the world right now.

The outrage will be gone next week when The Sun and Daily Mail concentrate on Wimbledon or another worldcup 'scandal'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

12 month global ban
    If they really want to punish him they could make him stay at anfield.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

7 matches
    nullzero wrote: »
    If they really want to punish him they could make him stay at anfield.

Ha, and people wonder why the last thread was closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

9 matches
    PC from FIFA due at 2.30, so expect the balls (0 matches to 24 months) to be dancing on their plastic globes from 3 pm after the warm up explanation of the format and slide show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

1 match
    Where are you getting the " faux" from? It was a repulsive act which no right thinking individual wouldn't be appalled at.

Faux in that a lot of people are not really outraged by it at all but due to the player and the club he plays for they suddenly become Maude Flanders.

°°°°°

12 month global ban
    Grayditch wrote: »
    Ha, and people wonder why the last thread was closed.

He doesn't seem keen on staying though does he?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

5 matches
    The outrage will be gone next week when The Sun and Daily Mail concentrate on Wimbledon or another worldcup 'scandal'

If people on this forum are such unthinking slaves to what the rags print then how come there are so many opinions voiced that run contrary to the tabloids' chosen narrative the rest of the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's already in use. Keep up.

What is the threshold for its use?

Multiple (potential red card) offences are committed in any tournament yet very few are chosen for rretrospective punishment.

7 matches
    He doesn't seem keen on staying though does he?

And that has what to do with this thread?

Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

12 month global ban

The denial, defense of the indefensible and self-delusion is unprecedented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If the British media were hounding him and now the global media, the real question is how long before he joins Satrun Celtic and lines out to play Mars FC, all to be broadcasted by the Mars Rover.

3 matches
    Faux in that a lot of people are not really outraged by it at all but due to the player and the club he plays for they suddenly become Maude Flanders.

Exactly.

Far worse stuff from far worse players has gone largely unmentioned-- selective faux outrage :D, the worst kind.

°°°°°

12 month global ban
    Grayditch wrote: »
    And that has what to do with this thread?

Good man.

What has it got to do with this thread?
    Its as if I came into the thread talking about needlepoint or fishing judging by that comment.

Suarez doesn't want to stay at liverpool. I made a quip that him being forced to stay there could be seen as a form of punishment.

Good man.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

5 matches
    Uruguay have a max of 4 games left in this tournament, I reckon he'll get a 4 match tournament ban.

What I think should happen, however, is a different story.

3 matches
    Vandango wrote: »
    The denial, defense of the indefensible and self-delusion is unprecedented.

The man is guilty of violent conduct and deserves 2-4 game ban. Every rational person will accept that.

• Advertisement

5 matches
    drkpower wrote: »
    What is the threshold for its use?

Multiple (potential red card) offences are committed in any tournament yet very few are chosen for rretrospective punishment.

It's FIFA, so fúck knows. This act of violence will almost certainly be punished in some way, as will plenty of others.

12 month global ban
    Suarez is marketing gold.

To who? His sponsors are evaporating and his employers image has been sullied by him once again.

5 matches
    Exactly.

Far worse stuff from far worse players has gone largely unmentioned-- selective faux outrage :D, the worst kind.

What is the far worse that has gone largely unmentioned? Were there fans of those players trying to pretend that their violent conduct wasn't that bad too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What time will the corrupt pharisees announce their decision?

3 matches
    What is the far worse that has gone largely unmentioned? Were there fans of those players trying to pretend that their violent conduct wasn't that bad too?

I don't know, there was no faux outrage so no threads were created about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

1 match
    It was a bizarre happening, an unprecedented situation, a grotesque situation, an almost unbelievable mischance.

G.U.B.U.:)

• Advertisement

12 month global ban
    The man is guilty of violent conduct and deserves 2-4 game ban. Every rational person will accept that.

Sorry you can't wash this away as a normal offense. Every rational person will accept that a player cannot be allowed to keep biting opponents. This isn't a wild elbow or banging heads with an opponent in a heated moment. This is a guy who bites people and who has significant previous for doing it. FIFA are clowns but he'll be getting a lot more than a 2-4 match ban.

7 matches
    What has it got to do with this thread?
    Its as if I came into the thread talking about needlepoint or fishing judging by that comment.

Suarez doesn't want to stay at liverpool. I made a quip that him being forced to stay there could be seen as a form of punishment.

Good man.

Would the punishment not be better to force him to a team with no European football, though, like, I dunno, any number of teams? I don't think your quip was that well thought out.

3 matches
    I just hope that whatever punishment he recieves is not enough for the British rags and their loyal Boards.ie followers and they go into melt down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

18 month global ban
    I suppose a three match ban is what he will get, Hazard kicked a child and only got that.

5 matches
    I don't know, there was no faux outrage so no threads were created about it.

Well let's start with the first question. What were the far worse incidents that have gone unmentioned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

5 matches

how many games did Pepe get for this? and people think Suarez should get more for a bit :rolleyes:

How anyone could say what Suarez did was worse is beyond me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

6 matches

Just last night we had Valencia's studs flailing up and down Digne's leg, not to mention various elbows hitting out (Sakho's and Giroud's in particular). All those inicidents had the potential to do much more damage than the Suarez bite but got a fraction of the coverage and (if some people get their way) a fraction of the ban.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

6 games !

It's FIFA, so fúck knows. This act of violence will almost certainly be punished in some way, as will plenty of others.

This is what is unsatisfactory to me. Im not a L'Pool fan (or a fan of anyone else) so i have no bias here, but what bothers me is that there is no consistency as to how incidents not caught by the ref are managed retrospectively.

Two reasonably significant elbows to the head were thrown last night but nothing will be done. While other cases (like Suarez) will be dealt with. As there is no rationale as to why one player will be banned, and another not, it is reasonable for people to claim that the reason is the publicity (or outcry) garnered not least by the media. That is no way to run a discipinary procedure.

That is not to say he doesnt deserve a ban; of course he does. But so do many many others. for the sake of the Colombia/Uruguay game, i hope he gets off though.

5 matches

how many games did Pepe get for this? and people think Suarez should get more for a bit :rolleyes:

How anyone could say what Suarez did was worse is beyond me....

I think Pepe should have been banned from all forms of football for a long time after that. He is another player who did something ridiculously bad and had a history of doing similar. That is just another incident where the footballing authorities (UEFA in this case) made an incredible fúck up when dealing with.

A really big difference between that case and this is that there were no, or very few, posters arguing that what he had done wasn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭35cent

I think a part of his sentence will be suspended but I'd say he'll miss the rest of the tournament. I would love it if there was no ban at all so I could sit back and watch the fireworks.

The world awaits...no conformation it will be announced at the press meeting, but its expected.

BrD0Zp8IUAA31WF.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I don't think it is the biggest event in world football,
    I am assuming your are implying the champions league is? The amount of people I know who have an interest in the world cup but couldnt give two hoots about anything else football wise is significant. Including myself, oh here we go yet another season of CL and EPL, how exciting :rolleyes: In terms of finances you may be right, but in terms of excitement, the global nature of it, the history, its incomparable in my opinion...

3 matches
    Vandango wrote: »
    Sorry you can't wash this away as a normal offense. Every rational person will accept that a player cannot be allowed to keep biting opponents. This isn't a wild elbow or banging heads with an opponent in a heated moment. This is a guy who bites people and who has significant previous for doing it. FIFA are clowns but he'll be getting a lot more than a 2-4 match ban.

Diego Costa has numerous headbutts to his name, spitting, dangerous tackles etc etc.. Nothing........... Double standards from all involved here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'm going with 4 games

• Advertisement

5 matches
    greendom wrote: »
    Just last night we had Valencia's studs flailing up and down Digne's leg, not to mention various elbows hitting out (Sakho's and Giroud's in particular). All those inicidents had the potential to do much more damage than the Suarez bite but got a fraction of the coverage and (if some people get their way) a fraction of the ban.

They got a fraction of the coverage in the media because they arise more naturally from the contact in the game. They've gotten a fraction of the chat on here because there were less people defending them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the valencia challenge was not deliberate... His foot slipped off the ball and unfortunately caught the other players knee...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

8 matches
    NoelJ wrote: »
    I haven't seen anyone bite someone properly. Plenty of nibbles alright.

I have, it's what we are talking about here, that was a proper bite. As has been said by a few already, a full on Mickah Wallace, nose buster of a headbutt would garner a lot more outrage than the stuff we see on a fairly regular basis.

They got a fraction of the coverage in the media because they arise more naturally from the contact in the game. They've gotten a fraction of the chat on here because there were less people defending them.
    That would be a sustainable argument if it was a case of flailing elbows. At least one of the elbows last night (Giroud's i think) was a clear deliberate intentional act. When incidents like that go unpunished, it is hard to rationalise Suarez getting the book thrown at him.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the valencia challenge was not deliberate... His foot slipped off the ball and unfortunately caught the other players knee...

You do realise it doesn't have to be deliberate to receive a red card, yea?

5 matches
    Diego Costa has numerous headbutts to his name, spitting, dangerous tackles etc etc.. Nothing........... Double standards from all involved here.

And has there been anyone defending Diego Costa, saying that he's not that bad and that his previous history should not be taken into account when punishing him? Or has it just been generally accepted that he should indeed be punished?

5 matches
    drkpower wrote: »
    That would be a sustainable argument if it was a case of flailing elbows. At least one of the elbows last night (Giroud's i think) was a clear deliberate intentional act. When incidents like that go unpunished, it is hard to rationalise Suarez getting the book thrown at him.

What part of "FIFA are incompetent" do you not understand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

10 matches
    Surely Liverpool would have the cop on to realise how damaging all that would be to their brand and image? A gifted footballer has single-handedly turned himself into a PR/Marketing nightmare. He has bitten a player in Holland, he has bitten a player in England and now he has bitten a player at the World Cup. This is pretty much unprecedented territory we are in here and Liverpool have some real serious soul searching to do. FIFA will have to look at this guys history and track record. Because previous punishment appears to have done nothing to amend his behaviour. That's why I choose the 6 month global ban, as being the most likely outcome.

People have short memories though, particularly fans of a club when they are doing well. Suarez is a fantastic player and everyone and their aunt can give out about him all they like but if he plays well for Liverpool and Liverpool do well because of it nobody that matters in terms of income for the club is going to care a whole lot what he did previously I don't think.

3 matches
    And has there been anyone defending Diego Costa, saying that he's not that bad and that his previous history should not be taken into account when punishing him? Or has it just been generally accepted that he should indeed be punished?

There has nothing at all- zero- One of the most violent men in world football throws a headbutt, again, and no one blinks an eye.... Suarez however should be banned for two years apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Ravenid

7 matches
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    You do realise it doesn't have to be deliberate to receive a red card, yea?

But it does have to be dangerous play. That wasn't even close to dangerous play.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement