Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will Suarez's ban be? Mod warning in OP and post#455

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

6 matches
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    the valencia challenge was not deliberate... His foot slipped off the ball and unfortunately caught the other players knee...

It was reckless and had the potential to do serious damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

3 matches
    Seriously think it'll be either no ban at all or an international ban of no more than six games, followed by enough internet and media rage to fuel the national grid for a week.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Ravenid wrote: »
    But it does have to be dangerous play. That wasn't even close to dangerous play.

he was not in total control when making that tackle.
    getting the ball, or not he had two feet off the ground (albeit for a split second) but still the momentum behind the tackle was dangerous with studs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Pro. F wrote: »
    What part of "FIFA are incompetent" do you not understand?
    I get it.

But it is not of much use to this argument. We are trying to assess - presumably in the basis of fairness or justice or something like that - whether Suarez should get a ban. If you believe he should get a (significant) ban, "FIFA are incompetent" is not an especially strong evidence lending support to that argument. If anything, it lends support to the polar opposite argument.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

1 match
    I'm gonna say zero games; I do think he bit him and he should get a 4-8 game ban but this will get fudged and swept under the carpet.

• Advertisement

3 matches
    Nine game ban.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Vanolder wrote: »
    Costa walked up to and headbutted a Dutch player and the ball was no where to be seen. Pepe headbutted a man on the ground...

Is this what people call a head-butt now?

http://gifsection.com/2014/06/diego-costas-headbutt-spain-netherlands/#.U6wjoUBoEcs

http://giant.gfycat.com/CheeryCourageousArabianwildcat.gif

Seriously, what kind of a pansy considers that violent?

Nine game ban.

yep seems to be the rumour..and Fox seem to be running with it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

5 matches
    Vanolder wrote: »
    There has nothing at all- zero- One of the most violent men in world football throws a headbutt, again, and no one blinks an eye.... Suarez however should be banned for two years apparently.

I couldn't remember this headbutt even though I watched the game, so I went and searched it. Is this what you are talking about?

3 matches
    Is this what people call a head-butt now?

http://gifsection.com/2014/06/diego-costas-headbutt-spain-netherlands/#.U6wjoUBoEcs

http://giant.gfycat.com/CheeryCourageousArabianwildcat.gif

Seriously, what kind of a pansy considers that violent?

That same kind of pansy that considers a nip on the shoulder through a shirt as violent I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

4 matches
    Rumors its 9 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

1 match
    Somebody else reporting a 9 game ban and 4 month ban from football. However that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

4 matches
    9 games and 4 more if he does something wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

9 matches
    Feck it I was only one game out! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

5 matches
    @StanCollymore: BREAKING. Luis Suarez reportedly gets NINE game ban and 4 month general football ban.

@talkSPORT LIVE

Discuss @SportsYapper !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

6 month global ban
    If thats the case, back in October for whichever team he's with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

3 matches
    6 international games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

More than I expected but still think he has learned nothing, if he does anything mad again he's fùcked

organise a load of friendlies and have him back for Copa America :cool:

• Advertisement

Somebody else reporting a 9 game ban and 4 month ban from football. However that works.

total ban or international only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Sky sports news conference now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Over 10 matches
    Do FIFA have any jurisdiction for the banning of domestic league games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Surely Liverpool would have the cop on to realise how damaging all that would be to their brand and image? A gifted footballer has single-handedly turned himself into a PR/Marketing nightmare. He has bitten a player in Holland, he has bitten a player in England and now he has bitten a player at the World Cup. This is pretty much unprecedented territory we are in here and Liverpool have some real serious soul searching to do. FIFA will have to look at this guys history and track record. Because previous punishment appears to have done nothing to amend his behaviour. That's why I choose the 6 month global ban, as being the most likely outcome.

You know what ruins a clubs brand and image even more? Losing 30+ goals and 10+ assists a season...

9 matches
    So back on Oct 26th or maybe back dated a few days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

No option for jail time :(

5 matches
    9 matches the only one with 0 votes lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

5 matches
    drkpower wrote: »
    I get it.

But it is not of much use to this argument. We are trying to assess - presumably in the basis of fairness or justice or something like that - whether Suarez should get a ban. If you believe he should get a (significant) ban, "FIFA are incompetent" is not an especially strong evidence lending support to that argument. If anything, it lends support to the polar opposite argument.

I am not using the fact that FIFA are incompetent to support my argument that Suarez should get a long ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 5s

Confirmed: Suarez suspended for nine games & banned from "football activity" for four months.

Yikes.

• Advertisement

3 matches
    This won't end here.

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes 27s Confirmed: Suarez suspended for nine games & banned from "football activity" for four months.

Over 10 matches
    efb wrote: »
    9 matches the only one with 0 votes lol

FIFA usually do the unexpected so it's fitting!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

1 match
    Surely Liverpool already starting their appeal?

5 matches
    For posterity

6 month global ban
    9 matches only in world cup & 4 month general ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Liverpool are going to sue surely? Luis Suarez 9 game suspension and 4 months worldwide...wtf that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

1 match
    4 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

12 month global ban
    Grayditch wrote: »
    Would the punishment not be better to force him to a team with no European football, though, like, I dunno, any number of teams? I don't think your quip was that well thought out.

Ok then. You sure showed me.

Glazers Out!

6 month global ban
    82,000 euro fine

Over 10 matches
    Quick start a new poll, how much will it be reduced by on appeal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

7 matches
    Harsher than I thought and bad news for Liverpool.

For me the flat out denial was worse than the act itself. The act itself probably warranted only about half the ban, but I don't have that much sympathy for the long ban given the flat out denial that followed.

I wonder if that was an important factor in their decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

ha ha ha.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Liverpool are going to sue surely? Luis Suarez 9 game suspension and 4 months worldwide...wtf that means.

I reckon Liverpool are going to sell.

9 matches
    So then total ban for 4 months, including stadium ban. 100,000 fake Frank fine

That's kinda cunning, its long enough to be seen as harsh but not so long as to rile Liverpool football club into legal action against FIFA - if they get angry it'll be with Suarez for putting them in this position.

Appeal may be logged, an appeal will not suspend the ban action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Couldnt have made it 5months and he'd be out of the Liverpool v Chelsea game no?

Bloody FIFA. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Davei141 wrote: »

Sue Suarez?

6 month global ban
    Does football activity include transfer activity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Jonathan Northcroft ‏@JNorthcroft 1m

Suarez also banned from any "administrative" football activities. No keeping his hand in with a ticket office job then...

Does this include transfers I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

3 matches
    Liverpool will win an appeal. He will be back in two months and well rested. Lovely.

Over 10 matches
    The more I think about it making Suarez wear a muzzle would be a suitable punishment, just to hopefully hammer the message home to him just how stupid he is.

His decision to bite multiple players will have cost him the chance to represent his country at a world cup and likely in subsequent qualifiers and miss numerous games with his club teams.

While the biting has not led to any serious injuries there really is just no defense for his actions. As a child you learn that biting is not acceptable social behaviour. It's amazing that he still hasn't learned that lesson.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement