Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will Suarez's ban be? Mod warning in OP and post#455

Comments

Headshot wrote: »
    I wonder will Pool wake up and finally sell him. A very very flawed genius

I'd rather keep our flawed genius than have no genius at all.

Mostly Utd fans telling me we should sell him funny enough. I'd imagine if it was Aspas it would be a different story ☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

3 matches
    Court of Arbitration for Sport it is so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,647 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought it would be longer than 4 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Over 10 matches
    Iang87 wrote: »
    Honest to christ I cant see why liverpool are being punished worse than uruguay

I think we should get away from thinking it's the club or the country that are being punished. It's Suarez that is being punished, he just happens to play for both Liverpool and Uruguay, and he'll just happen to have more club games during the ban duration.

Regarding any appeal, the only person that should have the right to appeal is Suarez. It's tough on both club and country but that is Suarez's fault. Any reduction in the ban that benefits Liverpool or Uruguay will also benefit Suarez and that can't be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Ravenid wrote: »
    4 Months Worldwide......I can see Liverpool successfully appealing that as they had no hand in this, and even if they don't not available until October/November not really gonna hurt em that much now is it?

Err, yeah it will hurt us (if it's kept), he'll miss 9 PL games and something like 3 CL games.

Don't want to go down the "if" road, but if Suarez wasn't banned for the start of last season, we may have won the league.

Pro. F wrote: »
    So much for FIFA can't ban him from playing for his club eh

Did anyone actually know that for certain. We were all speculatiing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

5 matches
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    Liverpool cant appeal.

only Uruguay Fed can.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes 2m
    Fifa making up rules as they go along, but to judge by what they've just told me, only #URU (not #LFC) would be allowed to appeal Suarez ban

It wouldn't surprise me at all if FIFA think that and are completely wrong about it. That would presumably mean that LFC would have to take FIFA to the court of arbitration for sport and by that stage (considering the amount of time passing) would be suing for damages rather than looking to get the ban lifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

1 match
    I expected him to get a worldwide ban and he got it. FIFA for once send out the right message.

If only clubs with mass racist chanting got the same. They usually get a 20K fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Can't see Liverpool appealing it. Appealing it would be seen as condoning it, and that is not an image they would want to associated with.

Can they sell him, or does the ban also prevent that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Does he not have to get the teeth pulled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

1 match
    Monetary fine is less than Bendtner got for his Paddy Power pants.

• 12 month global ban
    Iang87 wrote: »
    Honest to christ I cant see why liverpool are being punished worse than uruguay
    Your not being punished and there's nobody laughing at Liverpool.

The point is he's not fit to be on the pitch in his current state of mind. Until he gets his **** sorted he got what he deserved and gives Liverpool adequate time for his counselling and re-assessment after the four months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

rarnes1 wrote: »

Mostly Utd fans telling me we should sell him funny enough. I'd imagine if it was Aspas it would be a different story ☺

Not really, I would be the same for any player. Iv lost count how many times he has hurt your club now.

5 matches
    Did anyone actually know that for certain. We were all speculatiing

No, but people were saying it, just like people were saying that he will be banned for two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Liverpool considering this incident had nothing to do with them. They should have banned him for longer internationally.

Yeah & if Liverpool say anything to him when he comes back he'll eat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

brevity wrote: »
    Yikes.

He can't even play FIFA on his PlayStation?

FIFA have probably blocked his IP address anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Wouldn't be the first time, they basically did the same when Rio Ferdinand got banned. Threatened to expel Man Utd from European football for a few years if they went to the court of arbitration, if I recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

in june now so back 26 oct? after the transfer deadline.
    harsh to say the least, particularly on liverpool.
    they will have to look at the costa headbutt now etc, sure the legal eagles will push why one and not the other on appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Fizman wrote: »
    He can't even play FIFA on his PlayStation?

FIFA have probably blocked his IP address anyway.

He can play PES though.

• Advertisement

5 matches
    Headshot wrote: »
    Not really, I would be the same for any player. Iv lost count how many times he has hurt your club now.

Sure aren't you always saying that you want Rooney sold, even when he's having a great season? IIrc any way. So you're being consistent.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

a precedent has been set but it might just open up a big can of worms.

clubs are reluctant enough to release players for useless friendlies etc. and this aint gonna help one bit.

• 12 month global ban

So your proud for a player acting the way he does to wear the Liverpool jersey regardless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

1 match
    They're being punished is just a consequence of Suarez being punished. LFC are paying the price for buying and keeping a player with serious disciplinary issues.

His non injury record and the goals he scores make up for it ten fold though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sure aren't you always saying that you want Rooney sold, even when he's having a great season? IIrc any way. So you're being consistent.

Yap. If a player takes a mick out of your club, they go. Fergie always said no player is bigger than the club

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

2 matches
    Totally unfair on Liverpool.
    When he was banned previously, did this include international games?? No!

Over the top sentence for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

he is wreckless and dangerous on the pitch ban should be harsh and at all levels. fifa have a responsibility to players playing against suarez for club and country to protect them. biting is serious assault he deserves exactly what he gets imo. a disgusting act to bite someone

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

7 matches
    niallo27 wrote: »
    His non injury record and the goals he scores make up for it ten fold though.

That nasty bump he got on the teeth might take a while to heal..

Apparently FIFA aren't sure about whether it prevents transfers. I assume a case in Europe would be taken if they prevented him leaving the club.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    So your proud for a player acting the way he does to wear the Liverpool jersey regardless?

put down the spoon Mick..we both know thats not what he meant

1 match
    The rest will do him good anyway. He looks ****ed. He will come back better than ever and we all move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He will miss the first 9 EPL games of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

First racist dog i've ever come across. Very light ban all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Liverpool aren't stupid enough to get embroiled in this after the last debacle. Think both parties will count themselves slightly lucky he'll be back in November

I agree. It could have been a lot worse and Liverpool would be crazy to try to appeal the judgement.

1 match
    Hyzepher wrote: »
    That nasty bump he got on the teeth might take a while to heal..

Not more than 4 months hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

1. FIFA are making it up as they go along.
    2. It's a lengthy ban because biting is taboo - nothing more, nothing less. If a guy who has a penchant for an elbow did this, you would not see this length of ban.
    3. It's harsh on Liverpool.
    4. While it's harsh, Liverpool should be angry at Suarez first, FIFA second. He's put them in this position...again.
    5. I'm genuinely intrigued as to what the club will do now - 1st November is a long time to wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

2 matches
    M!Ck^ wrote: »

Utd fans still cheer Cantona today after he kicked the fan

Also, Keane is still a hero after intentionally injuring Haaland.

Of the 3 which is the worst?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Mutu got 7 months for doing a bit of recreational cocaine.
    Suarez gets 4 for biting someone on the field of play for the third time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It would be funny if they appealed and he got a longer ban, he's maintained his innocence in this which is the worst thing IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

How many games will this be that he has missed for Liverpool without ever receiving a red card???

1 match
    he is wreckless and dangerous on the pitch ban should be harsh and at all levels. fifa have a responsibility to players playing against suarez for club and country to protect them. biting is serious assault he deserves exactly what he gets imo. a disgusting act to bite someone

Is he dangerous. Has he ever injured a player seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Will he have to wear a muzzle when he comes back?

FIFA cannot restrict transfers as that is in breach of European employment law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

He tried to bite someone. Thankfully he screwed up the execution. Honestly, this downplaying of human bites is rather ignorant. Bites can be very fcking serious.

• 12 month global ban
    put down the spoon Mick..we both know thats not what he meant

I'm sorry but not sure what other way to read it. He would rather keep him regardless @ Liverpool FC as a flawed Genius. That's what I took from the post.

No player should be bigger than the Club, especially a club with a history like Liverpool.

Liverpool now have a choice to either sell him off or use the months provided by FIFA to help him get his head straight but there is no guarantee that will happen with his past.

Fair play for Rodgers initially standing by him because of his talent but enough is enough at this stage he's damaged goods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Racism causes psychological injury so yes

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Appealing it 100% does not mean condoning it, it is possible to think what he did was completely wrong but that there should be some limit on how far the ban goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

6 matches
    FIFA cannot restrict transfers as that is in breach of European employment law

This gets brought up a lot. They can't restrict transfers but they can refuse to register him. Which in effect, is the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

5 matches
    @UberFootFact: Luis Suarez has now been banned for 34 games since 2010, despite not receiving a single red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

he has been very lucky imo. looking at the extreme and him biting and puncturing a major vein in shoulder or neck area.... it is vey dangerous...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Biting somebody is dangerous. Risk of awful infections etc.

TBH I'm surprised he's been banned domestically too. I thought it might just have been a 2 year international ban. He's being made an example of and he deserves it. He's done it 3 times and had the nerve to deny it after the match on Tuesday. Liverpool knew what they were getting themselves in for - he had previously bitten an opponent before signing him. It will be interesting to see what they do now. Will there be any club even in for him after this?

He has severe mental issues clearly. I wonder is 4 months away from the game enough to sort them out?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement