Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will Suarez's ban be? Mod warning in OP and post#455

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭Soarer

Racism causes psychological injury so yes

Who's racist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Agueroooo wrote: »
    FIFA cannot restrict transfers as that is in breach of European employment law
    Not so sure... Can't you get banned entirely from certain other occupations like financial services if you repeatedly commit fraud? If so he would be free to discuss transfers again as of Oct 26th, and no longer.

I could be wrong on that, of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

2 matches
    Liverpool should sell him to ManU.
    That would shut up the majority of moaners straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

5 matches
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Your not being punished and there's nobody laughing at Liverpool.

I am most definitely laughing at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

First racist dog i've ever come across.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084899/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Agueroooo wrote: »
    FIFA cannot restrict transfers as that is in breach of European employment law

They are going to do it with Barcelona next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

6 matches

He would gain as many as he lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The ban has to include club as well IMO. An international ban would have very little effect, bar the probable 1 game Uruguay will have left in this cup. I think it's an interesting punishment and to be honest I think a correct one.

The ban is a ban on the player, who also plays for a club. How can there be any ban on a player without a knock on repercussion for the club. Clubs are all high and mighty when they spout things about 'he's our player, he's not going anywhere' etc etc. Well it works both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

1 match
    he has been very lucky imo. looking at the extreme and him biting and puncturing a major vein in shoulder or neck area.... it is vey dangerous...

Looking at the extreme of anything it's very dangerous. An elbow can kill someone. I just don't see the need for such exaggeration. I'm downplaying the bite I know it's bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

he has been very lucky imo. looking at the extreme and him biting and puncturing a major vein in shoulder or neck area.... it is vey dangerous...

By the reckoning of not hurting someone, racism is completely fine on a pitch as is spitting because they don't physically harm someone apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

He's also been banned from training with Liverpool for 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Well done to Fifa wrapping it up nice and snappy. In terms of length I think they've done well, but from Suarez's point of view I think it's very lenient all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Invertpyramid

6 month global ban
    They are going to do it with Barcelona next season

Wasn't that appealed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Skid X wrote: »
    I agree. It could have been a lot worse and Liverpool would be crazy to try to appeal the judgement.
    My reading of it, Liverpool can't appeal. Uruguay FA can appeal and the player himself can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Totally unfair on Liverpool.
    When he was banned previously, did this include international games?? No!

Over the top sentence for me!

Nope it was only Liverpool domestic games he was banned for, he was able to play in FIFA's Confederations Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

if van gaal attempted to sign suarez i would start watching loi

in no way would i or any united fan i know want suarez

• 12 month global ban
    Utd fans still cheer Cantona today after he kicked the fan

Also, Keane is still a hero after intentionally injuring Haaland.

Of the 3 which is the worst?

Still manages to come back to the above FS.
    Nobody cheers on Cantona, what he did was dangerous but was a direct reaction from fan abuse. He had a temper issue and should have kept it under control but he lashed out stupidly.

Keane I just don't like the man.
    Of the 3 which is the worst?

^^Biting someone three times.

Suarez does the unexplainable. One minute he could be shaking a guys hand then trying to eat it the next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

mayordenis wrote: »
    Appealing it 100% does not mean condoning it, it is possible to think what he did was completely wrong but that there should be some limit on how far the ban goes.

This is true, but appearances are everything. If the club appeals it will need some PR machine as the sensationalist media will trounce on it trying to suggest Liverpool are condoning it. Football is a business and Liverpool would do best for their image to keep shtum about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Ah well, he'll just have to miss the first 9 games of the season and come back and win double player of the year awards like he did last season. No biggie.

He will miss the first 9 EPL games of the season.

plus 3 Champions League games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

1 match
    Well done to Fifa wrapping it up nice and snappy. In terms of length I think they've done well, but from Suarez's point of view I think it's very lenient all things considered.

They had no choice they had to make a decision by Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Nobody cheers on Cantona, what he did was dangerous but was a direct reaction from abuse. He had a temper issue and should have kept it under control but he lashed out stupidly.

Suarez does the unexplainable. One minute he could be shaking a guys hand then trying to eat it the next.

United fans dont still sing the Cantona song?

Nobody cheers on Cantona, what he did was dangerous but was a direct reaction from abuse. He had a temper issue and should have kept it under control but he lashed out stupidly.

You joking? Go away outta that. He's a God to united fans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

If he had been red carded he would of only got a 1 match ban,Correct?

Punished for poor refereeing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Statement out. Can't link it

Corholio wrote: »
    The ban has to include club as well IMO. An international ban would have very little effect, bar the probable 1 game Uruguay will have left in this cup. I think it's an interesting punishment and to be honest I think a correct one.

The ban is a ban on the player, who also plays for a club. How can there be any ban on a player without a knock on repercussion for the club. Clubs are all high and mighty when they spout things about 'he's our player, he's not going anywhere' etc etc. Well it works both ways.

He will miss 9 games for Uruguay which basically means he also misses next Summers Copa America

• 12 month global ban
    ronjo wrote: »
    United fans dont still sing the Cantona song?
    Nerdlingr wrote: »
    You joking? Go away outta that. He's a God to united fans

He implied they applaud his antics for kicking out at a fan. Well I don't applaud it.

Try not to **** stir.

The statement said, there not making a statement yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭weisses

niallo27 wrote: »
    Is he dangerous. Has he ever injured a player seriously.

don't know if he injured the guy badly but the intend was there

http://www.goal.com/en/news/462/netherlands/2010/08/02/2052677/two-match-ban-for-ajax-star-luis-suarez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The way FIFA are discussing with their lawyers if he's banned from transfers and the hilariousness of them saying he can train makes me wonder if this decision will collapse on appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

3 matches
    Statement out. Can't link it

Statement saying they will wait to make a statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

6 matches
    Prop Joe wrote: »
    If he had been red carded he would of only got a 1 match ban,Correct?

Punished for poor refereeing

Nope, they can still go back and take action even if the ref carded him.

• 12 month global ban
    weisses wrote: »

The above want to compare Keane all day to Suarez..

How's this one...if the two footed tackle landed the same result may have happened. A broken leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the thing is, will he really care? will he be at a financial loss because of it? Should he be warned that if this is repeated, he will face a lifetime ban? Because some are speculating its uncontrollable, I dont think it is, I dont think there is a chance he would do it if he knew there would be severe consequences...

Vanolder wrote: »
    Statement saying they will wait to make a statement.

Some statement

• Advertisement

• 12 month global ban
    Pro. F wrote: »
    I am most definitely laughing at Liverpool.
    Well maybe just a little....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Over 10 matches
    Was nearly on the money with the International ban but really surprised at the four months worldwide football ban. I would expect Liverpool to appeal this strongly.

The only good news from this for Liverpool is that I doubt Barca or Real will buy him now with this restriction on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

9 matches
    He probably won't earn a penny from Liverpool till his ban is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He will miss 9 games for Uruguay which basically means he also misses next Summers Copa America

Yes but in relative present terms, the ban would have had little effect if it was only international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Over 10 matches
    IMO the ridiculous stance of the Uruguayans contributed to FIFA's resolve here. The "he didn't do nuthin'" and "Europe is picking on poor li'l Luis" probably got their backs up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

gandalf wrote: »
    Was nearly on the money with the International ban but really surprised at the four months worldwide football ban. I would expect Liverpool to appeal this strongly.

The only good news from this for Liverpool is that I doubt Barca or Real will buy him now with this restriction on him.

It's been said LFC can't appeal the ban, only Uruguay and the player can

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭minusthebear

if you buy a player with a history of biting & violence you've got to be prepared to take it on the chin if he does it again.

He implied they applaud his antics for kicking out at a fan. Well I don't applaud it.

Try not to **** stir.

No. What he said was United Fans still cheer Cantona to this day. Which they do. Once again M!cK^ you dont seem to be able to read posts correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

IMO the ridiculous stance of the Uruguayans contributed to FIFA's resolve here. The "he didn't do nuthin'" and "Europe is picking on poor li'l Luis" probably got their backs up.
    Yeah, I agree, if he said after the game that he made a mistake and was sorry with a proper apology it would have made a difference. He has a history of denial and getting his team to pretend he did nothing wrong.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2014/m=6/news=luis-suarez-suspended-for-nine-matches-and-banned-for-four-months-from-2386354.html

From the FIFA website: "Such behaviour cannot be tolerated on any football pitch, and in particular not at a FIFA World Cup when the eyes of millions of people are on the stars on the field. The Disciplinary Committee took into account all the factors of the case and the degree of Mr Suárez’s guilt in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Code. The decision comes into force as soon it is communicated,” said Claudio Sulser, chairman of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcm1yEXU6wA

pmsl suarez been watching walking dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Racism causes psychological injury so yes

Evra was psychologically injured long before that incident as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

The suspension is harsh on Liverpool but even us diehard Liverpool fans have to say there is no defence for his actions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

7 matches
    if you buy a player with a history of biting & violence you've got to be prepared to take it on the chin if he does it again.

or the shoulder...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

All sorts of confusion around the remit of this ban - seems to be banned from stadiums but allowed to train, banned from administrative football-related activity but can still be transferred?

Expect further clarification on this.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement