Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will Suarez's ban be? Mod warning in OP and post#455

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

1 match
    Will be interesting to see what happens if defenders start to refuse to take the pitch for fear of assault. The ban is only worthwhile if he acknowledges he has a problem and gets help for it. If he spends the time out being remorseless blaming the media he'll get nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

5 matches
    Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Liverpool considering this incident had nothing to do with them. They should have banned him for longer internationally.
    Totally unfair on Liverpool.!

If one of my staff bit a guy on the LUAS on his way to work he could easily be sitting in a jail cell awaiting trial. That would be harsh on me, who is going to do his workload? There is fcuk all I could do about though, and its no different for Liverpool, they are incidental in all of this.

If Liverpool fans are upset about this they should direct their anger towards the perpetrator, Mr Luis Suarez. But that won't happen.
    Prop Joe wrote: »
    If he had been red carded he would of only got a 1 match ban,Correct?

Punished for poor refereeing

Punished for biting another human being.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

2 matches
    I can see a time when clubs will not allow their players play international football because of rulings like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

"A stadium ban is pronounced against the player Luis Suárez in accordance with art. 21 of the FDC as follows: the player Luis Suárez is prohibited from entering the confines of any stadium during the period of the ban (point 3). The player Luis Suárez is prohibited from entering the confines of any stadium in which the representative team of Uruguay is playing while he has to serve the nine-match suspension (point 2). NIce

Also read online that Suarez has been banned for a total of 34 games since 2010 without receiving a red card. Says it all really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ok so I'm presuming the 9 match ban is for internationals, so that's at least the Colombia match with potentially 3 more in the WC. What other fixtures do Uruguay have lined up and does this ban cover friendlies or is it only for competitive matches?

The 4 month ban. does that start from today or from the start of the EPL season. If it's from today then Liverpool can have him back by the end of October, but if it includes all football related activities then I presume he's unable to train and the like so he'll have to go through preseason training from the end of October.

Pretty unclear as to the ramifications of the ban if I'm being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

1 match
    If one of my staff bit a guy on the LUAS on his way to work he could easily be sitting in a jail cell awaiting trial. That would be harsh on me, who is going to do his workload? There is fcuk all I could do about though, and its no different for Liverpool, they are incidental in all of this.

If Liverpool fans are upset about this they should direct their anger towards the perpetrator, Mr Luis Suarez. But that won't happen.

Punished for biting another human being.

Do you run an international LUAS system too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

6 matches
    Hang on, something I only thought of now,

If Uruguay appeal this decision, will he be available to play on Saturday?

It's not going to be a simple appeal regardless and could drag on for a while, could he maybe play out the rest of Uruguay's games in the competition due to this?

I can see a time when clubs will not allow their players play international football because of rulings like this.

Yes cos everyone goes around biting people not once, nor twice .....3 times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

From BBC article;
    Under the terms of the ban, Suarez is prohibited from entering the confines of any stadium during the period of his suspension.

Does that mean if Barca/Real bought him they couldn't present him in their stadium? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

All sorts of confusion around the remit of this ban - seems to be banned from stadiums but allowed to train, banned from administrative football-related activity but can still be transferred?

Expect further clarification on this.
    Apparently he's allowed to play Fifa on the PS3, but if he picks Uruguay or Liverpool, he has to sub himself out of the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

6 month global ban
    SantryRed wrote: »
    Hang on, something I only thought of now,

If Uruguay appeal this decision, will he be available to play on Saturday?

It's not going to be a simple appeal regardless and could drag on for a while, could he maybe play out the rest of Uruguay's games in the competition due to this?
    Any appeal will not suspend the ban, he is out for Sturday's game against Colombia regardless of any appeal.
    P_1 wrote: »
    Ok so I'm presuming the 9 match ban is for internationals, so that's at least the Colombia match with potentially 3 more in the WC. What other fixtures do Uruguay have lined up and does this ban cover friendlies or is it only for competitive matches?

The 4 month ban. does that start from today or from the start of the EPL season.
    Friendlies don't count. He misses their next 9 competitive games from today onwards.

The ban starts from today so he'll be back 4 months from today.

P_1 wrote: »

The 4 month ban. does that start from today or from the start of the EPL season. If it's from today then Liverpool can have him back by the end of October, but if it includes all football related activities then I presume he's unable to train and the like so he'll have to go through preseason training from the end of October.

Pretty unclear as to the ramifications of the ban if I'm being honest.

Seems to be worded that it takes effect from today.
    He will miss the remainder of Uruguay's World Cup campaign. He will also be absent for the first nine games of Liverpool's Premier League campaign, a League Cup tie and their first three Champions League group stage games.

• 12 month global ban
    No. What he said was United Fans still cheer Cantona to this day. Which they do. Once again M!cK^ you dont seem to be able to read posts correctly.
    You sir are on the wind up. I know its an upsetting day so i will give you that.

Read it again good lad,

Quote: eyescreamcone
    Utd fans still cheer Cantona today after he kicked the fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Over 10 matches
    TheTownie wrote: »
    From BBC article;

Does that mean if Barca/Real bought him they couldn't present him in their stadium? :pac:

And what constitues a stadium? If Sligo Rovers buy him, could he play in the Showgrounds? Or could he play in the 5-a-side down in McMahon's Astropark?

Whats the odds on him doing this again ? Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Friendlies don't count..
    They do if they're in a stadium! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

1 match
    Dubliner28 wrote: »

Pretty short considering you can back him to bite Steven Gerrard at 40/1 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Someone made a point earlier that he needs help. The ban is correct as a punishment but wont stop this type of behaviour in the future. They've tried that approach and failed.

He has issues and if they aren't addressed he will do something similarly nutty in the future.

6 month global ban
    They do if they're in a stadium! :p

:pac:

What I meant was that they don't count as being banned for a game.

So it's 9 competitive games.

But I'm not sure if he can play in the friendlies if they're not FIFA recognised friendlies? :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm sorry but not sure what other way to read it. He would rather keep him regardless @ Liverpool FC as a flawed Genius. That's what I took from the post.

no disrespect Mick but reading post correctly seems to be a problem with you.
    Im guessing its not down to stupidity as you seem a smart enough lad, but something more deliberate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 HappieChappie

10 matches

Either this or seeking compensation from a national association for a serious injury could be the straw that breaks international football eventually. may have to go the route of the IRFU and centrally contract players. US Soccer has lighter version of this with franchising teams and imposing contract restrictions.

Suarez may be available to be transferred but who would take him if he is only available to play at the end of October. If he plays Champions League for Liverpool then a January transfer again seems very unlikely.

I do have sympathy for Liverpool there is nothing they can do about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

4 matches
    He's been banned for 34 matches since 2010 without receiving a single red card, thats crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

7 matches
    Pro. F wrote: »
    I am most definitely laughing at Liverpool.

Its so much better when people admit it. Of course you're laughing at us. He's one of the best players in the World, and probably the best in the PL. Opposition fans are expected to be delighted.

If RVP did this and was out till November, I'd be laughing.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I'm just here for the great jokes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

3 matches
    Knex. wrote: »
    Its so much better when people admit it. Of course you're laughing at us. He's one of the best players in the World, and probably the best in the PL. Opposition fans are expected to be delighted.

If RVP did this and was out till November, I'd be laughing.

Suarez will be back on the 26th of September, a handy holiday.

6 month global ban
    Vanolder wrote: »

Where did you pluck that date out of?

:pac:

What I meant was that they don't count as being banned for a game.

So it's 9 competitive games.

But I'm not sure if he can play in the friendlies if they're not FIFA recognised friendlies? :confused:

If I'm reading things right the stadium ban means he's unavailable to play for Uruguay in any form for the next 4 months but is free to play in any friendlies they have after the 26th of October.

3 matches
    Where did you pluck that date out of?

After Liverpool's successful appeal.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

After Liverpool's successful appeal.

Liverpool cant appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Over 10 matches

26th of October you mean ;)

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Liverpool cant appeal.

Not too sure about that, I'd wager the lawyers are currently meeting in Anfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

12 month global ban
    Glad to see that a global ban has been given, but 4 months is disappointing, he really deserved two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

7 matches
    Nailz wrote: »
    Glad to see that a global ban has been given, but 4 months is disappointing, he really deserved two years.

In accordance to what?

3 matches

In your book, which doesn't really count for much in the world of football, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    You sir are on the wind up. I know its an upsetting day so i will give you that.

Read it again good lad,

Quote: eyescreamcone
    Utd fans still cheer Cantona today after he kicked the fan.

Not on a wind up at all.
    You do notice the word I've highlighted yeah?
    United fans do cheer Cantona to this day. He's revered at the club.

Dunno where you're gettign this 'oh he implied united fans applauded cantona after he kicked the fan' from. Cos the post you've quoted doesnt imply that at all.
    As I said, you seem to mis-interpret posts all the time and make stuff up out of thin air. Nothing personal, just think of it as constructive criticism.
    Have a nice day.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Apparently he's allowed to play Fifa on the PS3, but if he picks Uruguay or Liverpool, he has to sub himself out of the squad

Robbing that for twitter thanks lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

7 matches
    If Uruguay appeal can Suarez play the next game for them?

12 month global ban
    In your book, which doesn't really count for much in the world of football, mate.
    Of course it doesn't, I can't decide what FIFA do, just as much as you can, that's just what he deserves.

For a player as nasty as himself and with as many clear mental issues as he does it would've been ideal for him to get the maximum ban, but it's more than likely his quality as a football player (nastiness aside) was the major factor in why his punishment was so lenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

12 month global ban

I agree with his ban but a 2 year global ban? Why not just ban him for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

6 month global ban
    IMO the ridiculous stance of the Uruguayans contributed to FIFA's resolve here. The "he didn't do nuthin'" and "Europe is picking on poor li'l Luis" probably got their backs up.

So they were admitting he did something?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Would England get back in if Uruguay are chucked out :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

7 matches
    If Uruguay appeal and lose, does the start date of the "all football activities" ban move back meaning he would miss more of the PL season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

5 matches

I have no doubt whatsoever that Luis Suarez will be involved in another serious "incident" at some point in his football career. Its clearly in his nature.

The only hope is that its another bite or spit rather than another two footed lunge that breaks somebodies leg.

Or worse, the next time the red mist descends he swings an elbow back and breaks a jaw. This is not hyperbole, with his obvious lack of self control this type of incident is a definite possibility.

12 month global ban
    rob316 wrote: »
    I agree with his ban but a 2 year global ban? Why not just ban him for life.
    Because apparently the rules only allow a maximum two year ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Would England get back in if Uruguay are chucked out :pac:

No why would they, it would be Italy, or a bye for Colombia*

*please be a bye as i have them in sweep stakes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

It's a fair ban. Anyone that thought this wasn't coming as soon as it became clear that he had done it a third time was kidding themselves.

If he does it again I'd imagine he will get the full two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

7 matches
    No problem with the length of it or these sorts of bans in general, but they have to apply to everyone and not just this case because it's the most publicised.

We'll see what happens next time there's a serious offence committed on the pitch in an international game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

12 month global ban
    It could have been worse from a Liverpool perspective. Banned for the first 9 games of the EPL, and 3 Champions league games. If it was the FA handing out the ban it could of been 15 to 20 games considering he got 10 in the past for biting another player.

The speculation of him moving to a top European club is now done as nobody would want to buy someone who keeps biting other players considering that his next incident could result in up to a years ban. Having Suarez for the 29 league matches he can play in is better than no Suarez at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

He got off light here. He really did.

Good to see he got a club ban too. Cannot understand the logic of Liverpool fans saying it should have just been an international one...

• 12 month global ban
    Not on a wind up at all.
    You do notice the word I've highlighted yeah?
    United fans do cheer Cantona to this day. He's revered at the club.

Dunno where you're gettign this 'oh he implied united fans applauded cantona after he kicked the fan' from. Cos the post you've quoted doesnt imply that at all.
    As I said, you seem to mis-interpret posts all the time and make stuff up out of thin air. Nothing personal, just think of it as constructive criticism.
    Have a nice day.

Unreal stuff lol :pac:

One more time to make it clear for you.

Fan this that and the other I don't give a ****....I clearly said that I personally do not applaud it. The end.

Your continuous nonsense excuse for arguments is exhausting.

Have a nice day.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement