Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long will Suarez's ban be? Mod warning in OP and post#455

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Over 10 matches
    quarryman wrote: »
    He got off light here. He really did.

Good to see he got a club ban too. Cannot understand the logic of Liverpool fans saying it should have just been an international one...

You can't understand the logic of fans indicating that FIFA shouldn't set a brand new precedent for the incident? I don't really think that's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well Im surprised at this FIFA doing the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You can't understand the logic of fans indicating that FIFA shouldn't set a brand new precedent for the incident? I don't really think that's true.

Is this the first time such a ban has happened for an incident on the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

7 matches
    Will this stop clubs from releasing players for International Friendlies if there is a chance that players suspensions can now be carried over to Club games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I think Suarez set the brand new precedent in this case. FIFA reacted to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Liverpool should not turn their back on anyone who is allegedly mentally ill. That's my opinion as a Liverpool supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Unreal stuff lol :pac:

One more time to make it clear for you.

Fan this that and the other I don't give a ****....I clearly said that I personally do not applaud it. The end.

Your continuous nonsense excuse for arguments is exhausting.

Have a nice day.

Ha ha, good man mystic Mick . Proving my point once again. You're some laugh. :pac::D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Ravenid

7 matches
    For everyone saying that Liverpool cant appeal Liverpool can and most probably will take this to the Court of Arbitration for Sport as they are being penalised for something they had nothing to do with.

Suarez was on International Duty. He was not representing Liverpool, he was representing Uruguay. It was up to Óscar Tabárez his and coaches to keep Suarez in check not Brendan Rogers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

7 matches
    Liverpool should not turn their back on anyone who is allegedly mentally ill. That's my opinion as a Liverpool supporter.

Join date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I don't follow these soccer forum much and don't watch many games but I feel that along with a 2-3year global ban there should also be criminal charges brought against any player for assault causing harm to another person for a biting incident.

The fact that this is not a first "biting" offence I would ban him from ever playing in or coaching or even attending any match for the rest of his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Knex. wrote: »
    Will this stop clubs from releasing players for International Friendlies if there is a chance that players suspensions can now be carried over to Club games?

Mystery injuries before international games now for star players

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

He is a savage simple as that, should of been banned for a year.
    Big time chip on his shoulder just because he grew up poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I don't follow these soccer forum much and don't watch many games but I feel that along with a 2-3year global ban there should also be criminal charges brought against any player for assault causing harm to another person for a biting incident.

The fact that this is not a first "biting" offence I would ban him from ever playing in or coaching or even attending any match for the rest of his life.

What about those who throw punches, kick out and headbutt?

Join date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Ravenid wrote: »
    For everyone saying that Liverpool cant appeal Liverpool can and most probably will take this to the Court of Arbitration for Sport as they are being penalised for something they had nothing to do with.

Suarez was on International Duty. He was not representing Liverpool, he was representing Uruguay. It was up to Óscar Tabárez his and coaches to keep Suarez in check not Brendan Rogers.

Liverpool just have just to swallow it, the same as if he broke his leg on international duty.

Also an international ban wasn't sufficient considering he has done it 3 times now, only the player to blame not FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

1 match

Thank you Danny Mills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Does he still get paid ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Uruguay FA to appeal it

also from adidias: 'Adidas "fully supports FIFA’s decision...will discuss all aspects of our future partnership directly with Suarez following the World Cup”.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Surprised at the severity of the ban, thought they'd be more lenient. I think it's just though. It's about time he started learning some serious lessons. It's not normal behaviour. He needs to get help for this, because at the moment he's just a terrible case of self-sabotage. Great footballer, but completely lacking in discipline. He's turning himself into a liability. Hope he can get it together.

• Advertisement

What about those who throw punches, kick out and headbutt?

Why not the same punishment? Most players at that level are able to play the game without resorting to thuggish behaviour so stop the few who can't in their tracks and stop them infecting young kids with such notions. Send out a clear unambiguous statement that violence is never acceptable and will not be tolerated.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Does he still get paid ?

I would be extremely surprised if his new contract does not include something about salary whilst suspended giving his track record.

somebody earlier estimated he would have been paid close to £5mil whilst suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Ravenid

7 matches

I can see the case now.

Judge after 3 drunken brawls, a drunk driving,2 stabbings and an attempted murder.

Next Case?

"Your honour he bit me!! :( "

I'm all for punishing the guilty, but for god sake that's the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

1 match
    So Uruguay are appealing? Wonder will anything become of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Over 10 matches
    Alan Hansen:
    "It's terribly sad for Suarez, who after the Branislav Ivanovic incident, won the hearts of everybody in United Kingdom with the way he played. But it's a case of: 'Here we go again.'"

Well, he's only Princess Diana now :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Why just a biting incident? Is Biting worse than stamping, elbowing etc.... which cause alot more damage than a few teeth marks or is it just because its Suarez

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Uruguay would do well to just accept what's happened and get on with it. He's not going to be brought back for the rest of the World Cup, and I don't think they're doing themselves any favours with all the whinging in the face of clear evidence.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

7 matches
    Why not the same punishment? Most players at that level are able to play the game without resorting to thuggish behaviour so stop the few who can't in their tracks and stop them infecting young kids with such notions. Send out a clear unambiguous statement that violence is never acceptable and will not be tolerated.

Maybe FIFA will start to dish out the same in the future?

Why just a biting incident? Is Biting worse than stamping, elbowing etc.... which cause alot more damage than a few teeth marks or is it just because its Suarez

Biting someone is such a filthy dirty disgusting thing to do. Why would any player go and deliberately bite another player like that? This chap is obviously deranged and should be locked away in an asylum instead of being kept on any soccer team.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Very, very lenient ban. Should have got at least a year.

Biting someone is such a filthy dirty disgusting thing to do. Why would any player go and deliberately bite another player like that? This chap is obviously deranged and should be locked away in an asylum instead of being kept on any soccer team.

That's a lovely way to deal with someone who is allegedly mentally ill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

5 matches
    Slow clap to the 35 that voted 9 after the ban was announced...

• 12 month global ban
    Agueroooo wrote: »
    no disrespect Mick but reading post correctly seems to be a problem with you.
    Im guessing its not down to stupidity as you seem a smart enough lad, but something more deliberate.
    What exactly is deliberate? If I interpret a post one way and you interpret it another does that make you automatically correct? Are you the internet police?

I might suggest that you don't always need to be so sneaky with your posts. Man up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

cournioni wrote: »
    Very, very lenient ban. Should have got at least a year.
    hopefully when appeal fails fifa will hand him another 4 months

What exactly is deliberate? If I interpret a post one way and you interpret it another does that make you automatically correct? Are you the internet police?

I might suggest that you don't always need to be so sneaky with your posts. Man up.

Mick nothing sneaky but I will make it easy for you.

We.
    are.
    defending.
    Liverpool Football Club.
    not.
    Luis Suarez

If you cant decipher the above then there is no hope.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'm not sure you fully realise the dangers of what can happen if you get an infection following a bite that breaks the skin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

FIFA have banned Suarez. Not Liverpool. There will be a locus standi issue with any argument Liverpool make should they go before the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

12 month global ban

We.
    are.
    defending.
    Liverpool Football Club.
    not.
    Luis Suarez

What has Liverpool got to do with it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

7 matches
    Regardless of what you think of FIFA's decision, Suarez has more or less given LFC, Uruguay and football the two fingers. He takes no responsibility for his actions and couldn't care what the fallout is.

Suarez is the villain here, no one else. Not even FIFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

18 month global ban
    I'm loving the supporters of other clubs rejoicing in the ban. Some saying Liverpool should get rid of him as "their" club would. Yeah just like Cantona, Ferdinand and Keane were jettisoned for their behaviour!!!

It's times like this I'm glad I support another club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

8 matches

We.
    are.
    defending.
    Liverpool Football Club.
    not.
    Luis Suarez

That's exactly what he means by sneaky. You insult people's intelligence by wording your posts like that.

• Advertisement

• 12 month global ban

We.
    are.
    defending.
    Liverpool Football Club.
    not.
    Luis Suarez

If you decipher the above then there is no hope.
    Who exactly suggested you specifically are defending him in this thread?

Sounds like you posting for more that one if your saying;

"We.
    are.
    defending.
    Liverpool Football Club.
    not.
    Luis Suarez"

And what exactly is there no hope of?

Sounds like you posting for more that one if your saying;

"We.
    are.
    defending.
    Liverpool Football Club.
    not.
    Luis Suarez"

So, no t-shirts this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

18 month global ban
    cournioni wrote: »
    I'm not sure you fully realise the dangers of what can happen if you get an infection following a bite that breaks the skin.

Agreed, infection is possible. Drug taking can present that possibility too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

6 month global ban
    And what constitues a stadium? If Sligo Rovers buy him, could he play in the Showgrounds? Or could he play in the 5-a-side down in McMahon's Astropark?

Obviously he couldn't play at the Showgrounds, but he could play at McMahon's Astropark. Fixtures at just one of these are Fifa sanctioned.

So your proud for a player acting the way he does to wear the Liverpool jersey regardless?

• 12 month global ban
    Yes I said that to another poster. Not you.

And you still didn't answer the other question?

That's exactly what he means by sneaky. You insult people's intelligence by wording your posts like that.

you're right.

that came after numerous attempts by a couple of posters to work out what he was trying to say/understand, as it got a weird to see so many posts taken up incorrectly.

Aguerro is a Liverpool fan?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

ArielAtom wrote: »
    I'm loving the supporters of other clubs rejoicing in the ban. Some saying Liverpool should get rid of him as "their" club would. Yeah just like Cantona, Ferdinand and Keane were jettisoned for their behaviour!!!

It's times like this I'm glad I support another club.

Why do these United players keep coming up again and again? They all had one major bad incident each. Suarez has had 3/4 terrible ones, and contributed massively in getting a club legend fired by lying to him, and tried to instigate a move and even suggested he could sue the club. Cantona and Keane are a retarded comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

1 match
    Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Why do these United players keep coming up again and again? They all had one major bad incident each. Suarez has had 3/4 terrible ones, and contributed massively in getting a club legend fired by lying to him, and tried to instigate a move and even suggested he could sue the club. Cantona and Keane are a retarded comparison

People keep mentioning utd players are we are responding to utd posters and these utd supporters can relate to the situation. If we mentioned di canio or someone it would not have the same affect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement