Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do most kids today have no manners?

• 26-06-2014 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭

I'm not saying all are but some of the stuff i've witnessed in the last few years have made me wonder.

Growing up I was always seen but never heard. No such thing as talking back to an adult and being a damn cheeky little f**ker. I never dreamt of disrespecting an elder or anyone.

For example I was out at a fast food chain with my nearly 60 year old mother. We got our food and went walking to a table to sit down. Mind you their were plenty of seats around. As I'm about a foot from the table with a full tray of food this 10 year old girl runs and pushes past me almost knocking my tray out of my hands and she sits down on the sit i'm about to put my tray on and just stares at me.

My mother said to her, we were going to sit there and that she obviously knew that and to have some manners. So the girl went off to her mom over at the counter and gives out ****e to her mother about us. We're sitting there eating away and the mother comes up to us and tells us how dare we be so rude to her daughter and never to speak to her like that again and that we don't own the restaurant etc and walks away without letting us say a word.

The mother and daughter leave with their just bought food and the daughter turns around and sticks her tongue out at my mother...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Darn kids with their rock and roll and sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

I blame the c*nty parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I know loads of kids today that are infinitely more mannerly than I ever was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

C*nts breed c*nts unfortunately. Child has no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

Everyone is going to have anecdotal evidence which will prove or disprove your theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

THEZAPPA wrote: »
    For example I was out at a fast food chain

What do you expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Take your mother to a proper restaurant you cheapskate! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭THEZAPPA

John_Rambo wrote: »
    What do you expect?

True
    The Dagda wrote: »
    Take your mother to a proper restaurant you cheapskate! :pac:

Haha ah here she wanted some quick food :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I vote we put twenty or thirty of them in a room and say teaching is an easy job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

I'm not saying all are but some of the stuff i've witnessed in the last few years have made me wonder.

Growing up I was always seen but never heard. No such thing as talking back to an adult and being a damn cheeky little f**ker. I never dreamt of disrespecting an elder or anyone.

For example I was out at a fast food chain with my nearly 60 year old mother. We got our food and went walking to a table to sit down. Mind you their were plenty of seats around. As I'm about a foot from the table with a full tray of food this 10 year old girl runs and pushes past me almost knocking my tray out of my hands and she sits down on the sit i'm about to put my tray on and just stares at me.

My mother said to her, we were going to sit there and that she obviously knew that and to have some manners. So the girl went off to her mom over at the counter and gives out ****e to her mother about us. We're sitting there eating away and the mother comes up to us and tells us how dare we be so rude to her daughter and never to speak to her like that again and that we don't own the restaurant etc and walks away without letting us say a word.

The mother and daughter leave with their just bought food and the daughter turns around and sticks her tongue out at my mother...

Please tell me you tore the mother to shreds verbally in front of everyone.

PLEASE!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

While I definitely think there's been a decline in manners I don't really see the problem as being the kids themselves. Kids have always been prone, given half a chance to being obnoxious little sh1tes, I know I was when I could get away with it. The real problem is too many indulgent parents who want to be their child's trendy mate, thus ensuring a lack of consequences for misbehaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

snaphook wrote: »

PLEASE!!!!

What gets me was that the mother and kid didn't even eat in after all that... :confused: The mother sounds like a c*nt in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It's the parents not the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Custardpi wrote: »
    While I definitely think there's been a decline in manners I don't really see the problem as being the kids themselves. Kids have always been prone, given half a chance to being obnoxious little sh1tes, I know I was when I could get away with it. The real problem is too many indulgent parents who want to be their child's trendy mate, thus ensuring a lack of consequences for misbehaviour.

Like the old saying "The pup takes after the dog".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Socrates qoute, or Aristotle or whoever it was. I hardly need to add the text of it at this stage, AHers must have it memorised for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

I'd say they're about as mannerly as what went before them

And as what will come after them

Every generation thinks their youth are the worst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

tritium wrote: »
    I'd say they're about as mannerly as what went before them

And as what will come after them

Every generation thinks their youth are the worst

What a load of sweeping statement BS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Socrates qoute, or Aristotle or whoever it was. I hardly need to add the text of it at this stage, AHers must have it memorised for themselves.

Ah yes that old chestnut, basically translates as "I know nothing whatsoever about the state of ancient Greek society at the time but sure some guy said something similar then to what people are saying today so I'll just apply that without context & therefore win the argument because dead Greek guys are obviously wrong".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Like the old saying "The pup takes after the dog".

Black cow, black calf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think it's parenting that's the problem. We were brought up to show respect to adults, now we might have thought those adults were cnuts but we wouldn't have dared to be rude to them or there'd have been Hell to pay from our parents. I find kids these days to be very precocious in an annoying arrogant way.

I think a lot of it is down to kids being given too much freedom and being over indulged. I see young kids out playing on the street at 10pm when they should already be asleep in bed. A lot of it is just down to piss poor parenting skills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Ah yes I love the parents that when you complain to them about their scrote kids, They immediately go on a tirade of my child is lovely would do no such thing call you all the names under the sun. Until you confront them with the video on your smart phone. Blood rushes from there body look of wanting the earth to swallow them up. As they generally have no idea what their kids are doing as long as they are not in the house in their hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i would say in general most kids today have no manners, since having my daughter i have seen all sorts as i am more exposed to children friendly places than i was before she came along,

everyone is so different you get so many different parenting styles all with their positive and negative effects, so it is hard to say specifically, but i have noticed children no longer respect adults, or the elderly, in fact only the other day in a shopping center my daughter briefly looked back at something and while not paying attention walked into an elderly woman,

what surprised me is how surprised the elderly woman was when my daughter started apologising profusely for bumping into her, she was genuinely shocked to hear a child apologise to her and said as much before we walked away, i think that says a lot about that woman's experiences of children and she isn't the only one with bad experiences of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i have noticed children no longer respect adults, or the elderly

They're too obsessed with themselves to consider other people. Teenagers these days are the most narcissistic little fcukers and they're just oozing with a sense of self entitlement. Kids look up to them as big brothers/sisters, and learn from them and their peers so it'll be while before it changes. Sad really.

• Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Black cow, black calf.

An elderly neighbour of ours has the best I've ever heard...

"Scuttery cow, scuttery calf" :pac:

PLEASE!!!!

I wish but she pretty much ran away back to the counter and I couldn't be arsed. My mom shouted have a nice day to you too. Was pretty funny to see my mom say that but not so nice because she was upset after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I was involved in a business recently where I came in to contact with a load of children. I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised at how mannerly and well behaved the vast majority were. I would not have previously thought the % would be so high and I was delighted to be proved wrong. Having said that, I met some pure scumbags (10-17 yr olds generally) that are heading for nowhere fast

The thing is there are dickhead adults who had to be dickhead kids. Nobody starts out as a nice, mannerly well-behaved child and turns into an absolute knob when they get to 18.

So in order to maintain the ratio of nice, "normal" adults to not so nice adults, we have to have nice, mannerly "normal" children, and dickheads.

If you think about it though, that is one child you encountered that day... How many other children did you see in town that you paid no attention to whatsoever because they were quietly & politely going about their business?

So, the majority of kids are lovely. Unfortunately it's the very small minority that attract the most attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Apex Predator

I dunno, where I grew up there were a few bad eggs alright.

Especially this one kid, Jack Merridew. Him and his friend Roger were right little savages. Running around like they owned the place.

He used to make fun of this fat kid. Called him 'piggy' and such.

One time he even broke piggy's glasses and we couldn't get a decent fire going..

The thing is there are dickhead adults who had to be dickhead kids. Nobody starts out as a nice, mannerly well-behaved child and turns into an absolute knob when they get to 18.

I disagree, it's a generational issue. There's lots of people in their 30s-40s who are great people but their kids are destroyed by the likes of social media, the kardashinas etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think the problem is the concept of manners. The way society views manners is discrimination. Children are held to standards of manners that are never considered for adults.

I know it is anecdotal but on my dads side of the family children are expected to address adults in a way that no adult would ever address a child or another adult.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I feel sorry in a way for the ones who have been let 'express themselves' (i.e. say what they want to who they want, do what they want when they want) because the world doesn't work like that.

'That's my opinion, I'm only saying' might work on facebook, but in the real world it will get you out of a job quick smart.

I disagree, it's a generational issue. There's lots of people in their 30s-40s who are great people but their kids are destroyed by the likes of social media, the kardashinas etc.

You misunderstood me... The people who are in their 30s and 40s who are great people were more than likely great kids. The adult knobs of today were knobs when they were kids, 20-30-40 even 50 years ago!

You misunderstood me... The people who are in their 30s and 40s who are great people were more than likely great kids. The adult knobs of today were knobs 20 years ago when they were kids.

i think the point being made was those great adults have bad children now, so they in turn will be those adult knobs you speak of despite having great parents thanks to things like the kardashians, social media...etc!

I think the the case of the OP the child was initially right, the mother reacted badly though. The child was sitting first that's their table. I'm sure the OP had planned to sit there before the child sat down but I'm also sure the child planned to sit there before they sat down, so who is to say who thought of sitting there first. The person who sits at the table first gets it, it's not who thinks about sitting there first.

You misunderstood me... The people who are in their 30s and 40s who are great people were more than likely great kids. The adult knobs of today were knobs 20 years ago when they were kids.

But those great people in their 30's and 40s are producing kids who are little ****s and it's not really their fault. They can try and teach them, but society, their peers and the people they admire are different. And that's what they'll become.

• Advertisement

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i think the point being made was those great adults have bad children now, so they in turn will be those adult knobs you speak of despite having great parents thanks to things like the kardashians, social media...etc!

It's still not a counter point, the statements don't conflict and there was no reason for the second statement saying I disagree to the first when the poster made a completely different point.

GarIT wrote: »
    I think the the case of the OP the child was initially right, the mother reacted badly though. The child was sitting first that's their table. I'm sure the OP had planned to sit there before the child sat down but I'm also sure the child planned to sit there before they sat down, so who is to say who thought of sitting there first. The person who sits at the table first gets it, it's not who thinks about sitting there first.

They left the ****ing establishment when their fast food was ready? :rolleyes:

Cormac... wrote: »
    They left the ****ing establishment when their fast food was ready? :rolleyes:

As I said the mother of the child reacted badly, if they weren't intending to stay the child shouldn't have sat, but maybe they were before the incident.

Once the child was sitting the OP shouldn't have said anything, it doesn't matter of the OP's party was planning to sit there, so were the other party and the other party had gotten there first.

you see it a lot at events, parents will use their children to get whatever it is they want.

we would always typically be early at event things and therefore be right up the front, she maybe a bit bored waiting around or whatever but she gets her reward when the event starts, and then you get these parents who first will send their littlest child up, they will squeeze in on the basis you are a dick if you tell the child 'no' sure they are only small, and you are a big giant adult blocking their view.

then the sibling is sent up...of course to "mind them" then the adult pushes through of course to stand with the children, and the look/mouthful you get if you dare protest, so i don't even think its a who was there first thing, its a carefully manipulated thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets, inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    "What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets, inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

there is a lot more of them since that was said so a lot more of us are suffering/ranting because of them. :pac:

It's bigger and clearer to read now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

OP you have good taste in music I assume ?

If you think about it though, that is one child you encountered that day... How many other children did you see in town that you paid no attention to whatsoever because they were quietly & politely going about their business?

So, the majority of kids are lovely. Unfortunately it's the very small minority that attract the most attention.

Well I never said all kids weren't mannerly. However that particular day I came across one nice child and another bunch of 13 year old or so kids loudly shouting abuse at people walking by. A few in different shops demanding mommy and daddy buy them the toy. A few running around tesco pushing into others trolleys. I'm also from an area that others would consider middle class so posh or delinquent areas out of the equation not that they should be in their anyway.

When it comes down to it, their are lovely children out there and it's come to the stage now where its a breath of fresh air to come across. In my experience though it has gotten worse and I'm not even that old. It's a lot of parents these days not teaching their children to respect others, simple as. As parents we are meant to be teaching children to be the best they can be. All I see are parents giving in to kids and thus letting them get away with ****e.
    GarIT wrote: »

I don't see how the child was right. Running, pushing me aside and almost knocking my food over as I go to put my food on the table and sitting there staking claim is right? That's what I mean by manners, it shouldn't be first come first serve especially when it comes to an elderly women with me suffering from arthritis and other health issues.

I assume you might be the type on the public transport to not give up your seat to someone else because as you said I was there first.. or what did we say when we were younger "Naw naw naw nawnawnaw".

the_monkey wrote: »
    OP you have good taste in music I assume ?

Fantastic taste! Frank Zappa ftw :P

Maybe that's what these darn kids need :pac:

Cormac... wrote: »
    What a load of sweeping statement BS :rolleyes:

Well, given Elvis was scorned as corrupting the youth of his day, dungeons and dragons was leading youth to the devil and jive was seen as immoral influence to give just some relatively recent examples I'd suggest its not.

But you just keep spewing out trite little one line sound bites...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I watched in horror last week as a child of about 4 years proceeded to try to pull the fuel cap off my car. My car is a month old!

The mother just stood there watching............ I had to tell the child off. Again the mother never reprimanded her child. No way was I gonna stand there and have my new car damaged.

So yep I blame the parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I was doing a grocery shop last week and there was a mother pushing her two brats around in a trolley, about 3 and 5 I guess. Anyway there was an older woman there, and the youngest child kept yelling "'mam look at the fat lady", "mam the fat lady has a beard" ect. The mother said "shush" to the child but that was it, and the child kept saying it.

Obviously I'm watching with interest to see how this one is going to play out. Finally the woman replied "and you're a brat, a naughty little brat". The kid started to whinge "I'm not", she tells him again he's bold and he starts yelling he isn't bold lol.

The mother kept her back to the woman the whole time and when the child got upset she just pushed the trolley away, but the child didnt say it again while I was in earshot.

Was talking about it with a few friends as well, most of them agreed the child was a little **** but one of the girls (the one with a child!) said kids would be kids, the adult should know better and not be so mean. But as soon as the child was scolded he stopped so, I don't know, I def think its the parents.

Wasn't the save arguemnet used in the fifties with kardashians replaced with Elvis?

tritium wrote: »
    Wasn't the save arguemnet used in the fifties with kardashians replaced with Elvis?

Elvis played music and had a talent. The kardashians are a bunch of self obsessed talentless morons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement