Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sako quad v Annie 1417

Options
  • 26-06-2014 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi lads
    Looking for opinions on above
    Both guns in same dealer. Annie is new quad is lightly used 2nd hand and a bit cheaper bit will have barrell reduced from 22 to 16 if I buy so works out same
    Will only be firing subs for rabbits/corvids
    No interest in barrell changing in quad
    Quad is synth stock and heavy barrell
    What's views/opinions ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Shaner82 wrote: »
    Hi lads
    Looking for opinions on above
    Both guns in same dealer. Annie is new quad is lightly used 2nd hand and a bit cheaper bit will have barrell reduced from 22 to 16 if I buy so works out same
    Will only be firing subs for rabbits/corvids
    No interest in barrell changing in quad
    Quad is synth stock and heavy barrell
    What's views/opinions ??

Anschutz any day of the week. Why would you spend the same on a secondhand gun including modifications ?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Shaner82

Anschutz any day of the week. Why would you spend the same on a secondhand gun including modifications ?

Yeah fair point.
    Just the synthetic is a bit easier lookafter
    U think the Annie is better or just cos it's new ?!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Having shot both i'd go for the Annie. Very accurate, well balanced, light gun, and it's already at 14". As it's illegal to cut a barrel below 20" you cannot change the Sako Quad. So if the short barrel is a factor the Annie is your choice.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Having shot both i'd go for the Annie. Very accurate, well balanced, light gun, and it's already at 14". As it's illegal to cut a barrel below 20" you cannot change the Sako Quad. So if the short barrel is a factor the Annie is your choice.

I've read that about cutting barrell before alright but would gun smith really be sticky about it
    My other two guns are synthetic so I've no experience looking after wood stocks
    Is there much to it week to week ??

Shaner82 wrote: »
    I've read that about cutting barrell before alright but would gun smith really be sticky about it
    It's illegal so i'd imagine he'd want to keep his RFD license and avoid a fine, etc.
    My other two guns are synthetic so I've no experience looking after wood stocks
    Is there much to it week to week ??
    Not so much.

Depending on the finish it can take little to no care or a monthly rubbing of a protective or preventative oil. The easiest way, and i've had many timber stocked rifles, is preventative care. So if it gets damp or wet when out make sure to clean thoroughly and apply an oil to the stock. IOW do not let it sit for a day or week.

A lot of stocks have a good lacquer on them so special care is usually not needed. Composite stocks do not need the same care, but if wet the barrel/action will still need the same cleaning/care as a timber stocked rifle. I'd go with what you like rather than what you think is the better option. I know that sounds counter intuitive but it's a big purchase and you need to like and be happy with your choice every time you look at it..
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'll take it into account. Not goin to rush into anything
    If anyone sees anything similar around let me know

And thanks for all the replys

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭philog

anschutz 1417 ..super accurate rifle ...classy and silky smooth..

Just seen a synthetic quad for €800 new!!!
    Decisions decisions
    Has anyone seen a 1417 for less than 1050 new in any dealers around the country

Mulvihill's - €950

• Advertisement

U sure Dave has one in 22
    Mullingar has the 17 alright

Pretty sure he has both. Either in the Mullingar or Ballymahon shop. I seen them in both.

Phone call will sort you out for sure.

Any particular reason for the .22 over the .17?

Yeah want to use the subs. Some of my permissions close to town
    Might get the .17 down the line....

There are few around and most seem to be .17hmr. Ardee bring them in or have/had them so might be worth a call and see who they shipped to.

Was talking to a guy told me ardee lost the importing of them. No one officially got it yet so that's why they seem to be a bit scarce

Agent or not doesn't matter. As an RFD they can import guns without needing to be an agent. Was speaking to another RFD recently and they got their Anschutz off Ardee. So again, a call will sort it out.

Better to call and find out then not because you heard something and loose the gun you want.

Yeah I'll give Dave a shout tomorrow. Mullingar doesn't have them was there last week
    Cheers

I actually meant Ardee

Ha ha o right thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Shortening any barrel must be done at the chambered end or breach end so as to preserve the slight choke that is usually found on 22lr barrels!..
    Some might work fine when chopped at muzzle but you could get trouble!! Better to avoid such problems all together

• Advertisement

Thanks
    Went with the Annie 1417 after so no matter

Advertisement