Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ravens Rock Rally- this weekend

Options
  • 26-06-2014 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Maps for the rally are not out until tomorrow, you can pick up a program in several shops around town. They will be using stages between Dunmore East and Tramore. New for this year is a stage Saterday evening and ive heard theres a great viewing spot on that stage. Cars will be parked overnight on the Quay. Sunday they run 3 stages 3 times throughout the day.

Going to be a great day, hope the weather is a bit better than today

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

Will those maps be available online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Demonical wrote: »
    Will those maps be available online?

No you have to buy the programme, prob 10euro

liam7831 wrote: »
    No you have to buy the programme, prob 10euro

That's a bit ridiculous to be honest! I live on the route and I need to get to work on Sunday. It would be nice to know where I have to leave the car so I can actually get to work or if I can drive or what. I'm a bit peeved about the lack of information for locals on the day.

That's a bit ridiculous to be honest! I live on the route and I need to get to work on Sunday. It would be nice to know where I have to leave the car so I can actually get to work or if I can drive or what. I'm a bit peeved about the lack of information for locals on the day.

The local paper will have all the road closing times in it

• Advertisement

I wasn't able to find anything on either the Munster nor News and Star online. I'll have to find a hard copy of them tomorrow and have a look to see if there is information in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

So we have to deal with a load of boy racers for the weekend?

Roads in Killarney are wrecked after the last rally there. Its bad for the town, the business want it stopped. It brings in no money.

I'm against it as you can tell. Boy racers really piss me off.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/boy-racers-cause-chaos-in-tourist-town-of-killarney-30244002.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Roads in Killarney are wrecked after the last rally there. Its bad for the town, the business want it stopped. It brings in no money.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/boy-racers-cause-chaos-in-tourist-town-of-killarney-30244002.html

ahh come on now, you cant compare the rally of the lakes and the ravens rock rally, thats like comparing the galway horserace week to the clonmel races

Thats true. Im jumping to conclusions.

But i still hate boy racers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

me too:D

• Advertisement

You could not be more wrong

Clerk of the course Dermot Healy said: “The Cartell.ie International Rally of the Lakes is one of the biggest annual motorsport events in the southern half of the country and we could not stage an event of this magnitude without the generous financial support of Cartell.ie. As a team we are delighted to have a company such as Cartell.ie involved with the event and we have had a great relationship with them in the past. This year we are celebrating our 35th birthday and the signing of a new three year deal is a vote of confidence in the event and a huge boost for the South West. It is estimated to be worth up to €10m to the local economy.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

That's a bit rich coming from you Kim... :D

liam7831 wrote: »
    You could not be more wrong

Clerk of the course Dermot Healy said: “The Cartell.ie International Rally of the Lakes is one of the biggest annual motorsport events in the southern half of the country and we could not stage an event of this magnitude without the generous financial support of Cartell.ie. As a team we are delighted to have a company such as Cartell.ie involved with the event and we have had a great relationship with them in the past. This year we are celebrating our 35th birthday and the signing of a new three year deal is a vote of confidence in the event and a huge boost for the South West. It is estimated to be worth up to €10m to the local economy.”

I am saying that from what iv been told. I have business in Killarney and around Kerry and the shops and hotels give out about it for weeks before, and weeks after it. I know one pretty big hotel that closes for the weekend of the rally every year. Headlines in the paper with "1000 boy racers descend on kerry" and "58 arrests in killarney" do not help sell hotel rooms.

Although Killarney is more of a tourist town then waterford id hate for more bad press to come to the city.

Junior wrote: »
    That's a bit rich coming from you Kim... :D

Im not Kim!

I am saying that from what iv been told. I have business in Killarney and around Kerry and the shops and hotels give out about it for weeks before, and weeks after it. I know one pretty big hotel that closes for the weekend of the rally every year. Headlines in the paper with "1000 boy racers descend on kerry" and "58 arrests in killarney" do not help sell hotel rooms.

Although Killarney is more of a tourist town then waterford id hate for more bad press to come to the city.

Im from the area, that total BS what sort of hotel closes one of the busiest weekends of the year, crazy talk

I thought they were called "modified car enthusiasts" these days. :D

I found out some of the circuit earlier, so I now know I'll be able to get out when needed.

A small map of the circuit handed out to locals the week before the rally would be a handy thing to do I think, save all the hassle and worry. I have no problem, as such* with the rally being held just proper information on the extent of the disruption would be good.

*the only thing I'd have an issue with is that I hope spectators bring home their rubbish with them. I've been to other races and I cant believe some of the dirty f**kers throwing cans, bottles, packets etc. all over the place along the circuit. It's not that hard to put it in your bag/pocket. Unfortunately that seems to be the Irish mentality and I don't think the club can change that, although I do hope they clean up any rubbish left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It's going by my mother's house, so she has had to choose between being locked in for the day and being locked out.

She doesn't mind that too much, but what's the story with spectators? There is a mixture of fields and houses along the route, and I would hope that nobody would be taking the liberty of standing in her garden.

What tends to happen during rallies like this?

If your mother is far into a stage with no junctions near it for specators to drive into, there wont be anyone walking along miles to get into it. If your mother is near a corner, she should have had someone from the club out several weeks ago and any issues can be raised there about specator access and in the marshal brief will have it inside for the marshals on the day. If not, marshals should be on the location if it is a junction and a quick word with them before people start showing up and they will stop anyone going into the garden etc.

There will be a few boy racers around, you cant keep these idiots away but it wont be anywhere near as bad as Kilarney/Galway/Donegal. I cant describe how much I hate them myself, but if you see ANY illegal activity, record a video if possible as evidence and report the reg plate (car number if its a rally car) to the gaurds. Zero tolerance should be taken with these scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pump101

wobbles wrote: »
    If your mother is far into a stage with no junctions near it for specators to drive into, there wont be anyone walking along miles to get into it. If your mother is near a corner, she should have had someone from the club out several weeks ago and any issues can be raised there about specator access and in the marshal brief will have it inside for the marshals on the day. If not, marshals should be on the location if it is a junction and a quick word with them before people start showing up and they will stop anyone going into the garden etc.

There will be a few boy racers around, you cant keep these idiots away but it wont be anywhere near as bad as Kilarney/Galway/Donegal. I cant describe how much I hate them myself, but if you see ANY illegal activity, record a video if possible as evidence and report the reg plate (car number if its a rally car) to the gaurds. Zero tolerance should be taken with these scum.

The starting ceremony is today in John Roberts square at 6.30. Its a great spectacle to behold. Over 100 cars will pass over the start line.. costing from a few thousand euro to hundreds of thousands of euro. These cars are minded like babies and cost thousands to keep them in tip top condition.

Each car will have a driver and navigator and will have a service van with crew. All this fuel will be bought locally.. the teams will need accommodation, food and beer of course. This is a huge wad of cash for the local economy.
    The organisers Carrick on Suir motor club have been working tirelessly with a year on this and have been meticulous with there preparation.

It can only be a good thing if it fills hotel beds and the local economy gets a cash injection. Iv never seen anything like the people on here to knock everthing that goes on in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

I agree, moan, moan. Everything seems to be a problem.

Great idea to have different events every other weekend as there is something for everybody to enjoy.

Well done to Wicked last weekend

Watch for the comments next weekend for Daytripper, music too loud, traffic bad, ticket prices too dear.

Hope the rally goes well, will bring the children in Sat evening on the quay to have a look.

• Advertisement

Great idea to have different events every other weekend as there is something for everybody to enjoy.

Watch for the comments next weekend for Daytripper, music too loud, traffic bad, ticket prices too dear.

Hope the rally goes well, will bring the children in Sat evening on the quay to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

What time will the rally be passing by the gracedieu area at roughly???

Pump101 wrote: »
    The starting ceremony is today in John Roberts square at 6.30. Its a great spectacle to behold. Over 100 cars will pass over the start line.. costing from a few thousand euro to hundreds of thousands of euro. These cars are minded like babies and cost thousands to keep them in tip top condition.

Each car will have a driver and navigator and will have a service van with crew. All this fuel will be bought locally.. the teams will need accommodation, food and beer of course. This is a huge wad of cash for the local economy.
    The organisers Carrick on Suir motor club have been working tirelessly with a year on this and have been meticulous with there preparation.

It can only be a good thing if it fills hotel beds and the local economy gets a cash injection. Iv never seen anything like the people on here to knock everthing that goes on in Waterford.

Exactly, the amount of money brought in over the weekend will be huge. Not to mention all the money all the specators will spend on petrol, food etc in filling stations when they buy the program.

The stage this evening is a great idea from the club to get non motorsport people out to see the event. The club have gone beyond every other club in the last 2 years in trying to bring rallying to the people. The stages tomorrow are tough and will definately pose a challenge, especially on the rougher parts towards the end of 2/5/8.

Of course people will always complain, but you cant moan if you do nothing to stop the boy racers tearing up the roads by not reporting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

fricatus wrote: »
    It's going by my mother's house, so she has had to choose between being locked in for the day and being locked out.

She doesn't mind that too much, but what's the story with spectators? There is a mixture of fields and houses along the route, and I would hope that nobody would be taking the liberty of standing in her garden.

What tends to happen during rallies like this?

some thought it was their right to stand in our garden last night,and they were asked to leave,but anyone who asked first was left in.

wobbles wrote: »

Kudos to all those involved! Very entertaining and well organised. No spectators took liberties, all were very polite and friendly. There was one idiot who came flying up behind my mother earlier in the day when the road was open, but he quickly dropped back, probably afraid that she'd report his plate number.

She wasn't sure whether it was a rally car or a boy racer, but in any event he was the only person she saw behaving badly. There were loads of cars doing recces up the road, but they were all going at normal road speeds.

We had a great time watching it. Very exciting to see the cars emerging from the chicane and powering up the road. Afterwards they had the bales removed and the road open again in double-quick time. That aspect of it was very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

How was the boy racer situation over the weekend?

I didnt see any marks on the road. Come to think of it i didnt even see a modified car.

I put that down to the drifting competition in mondello where most of them would gather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

It was the same last year with regards to information being available. We were woken up on the Saturday morning at 6am by some sort of PA system going down at the Rhu Glenn (which we live about 50metres away from) and no idea what was going on until the cars started bombing up and down the road.
    No problem with the rally but it would've been nice to have been told about it beforehand so we could've planned to be out for the day considering the entrance/exit to our house was blocked by parked cars and vans for 9 hours on the saturday and we couldn't get out of our driveway.

• Advertisement

It was the same last year with regards to information being available. We were woken up on the Saturday morning at 6am by some sort of PA system going down at the Rhu Glenn (which we live about 50metres away from) and no idea what was going on until the cars started bombing up and down the road.
    No problem with the rally but it would've been nice to have been told about it beforehand so we could've planned to be out for the day considering the entrance/exit to our house was blocked by parked cars and vans for 9 hours on the saturday and we couldn't get out of our driveway.

That is nuts. My mother had a flyer in the door about six weeks ago, and there was a sign at the end of the road for at least a fortnight advising of the road closure. The phone number of the clerk of the course was widely available for anyone who had questions.

They even dropped in a complimentary copy of the Ravens Rock programme a few days beforehand... seems a world away in terms of organisation compared to how you were treated. Any idea which rally it was?

Advertisement