Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Moto G from Tesco for £129.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭deepsilent

On 3? What are you getting on 3G?
    Yes 3, on 3g I get around 1.2 MB
    On 4g around 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

anyone find a good class 6 64gb micro sd card for this? preferably on amazon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

sweetie wrote: »
    anyone find a good class 6 64gb micro sd card for this? preferably on amazon?

I could be wrong but I think the max it takes is 32.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

bren2001 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think the max it takes is 32.

Officially its 32 but 64 will work. Some people over on XDA are running 64 gig cards in theirs, so you could check which make/model they're using to help ensure compatibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

gustafo wrote: »
    Anybody get this phone unlocked without having to call tesco in the uk?

Don't thinks so. Ring Tesco UK. Tell them you bought the phone to use on the Irish Tesco network but it won't work and need to be unlocked. Tell the you want to pay the £20- unlocking charge but can't use their on-line topup service with an Irish Credit card. They should give you £20- free credit and then unlock the phone. Number to call is a few posts back. Did mine yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Esel wrote: »
    FYP

What does that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What does that mean?
    Google knows, if you really don't.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

Bought it just now from meteor. Said it was for my missus who has an 085 number but that's alli said. Popped in three sim and nothing but some sim cars warning sign notification

An ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Was it turned on with a Meteor sim in it before you tried the 3 sim?if it was then it's locked to Meteor and you'll have to get an unlock code for it off ebay for 3 quid or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭bonkers

ignore me

apparently i do not know how to insert a sim card these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Been asked before undoubtedly, so sorry, but will a Tesco Mobile Ireland sim work in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

bur wrote: »
    Been asked before undoubtedly, so sorry, but will a Tesco Mobile Ireland sim work in this?

no

bur wrote:

yes if its simfree or you get it unlockef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

i got the 8GB 3G moto G earlier this year - served me great and looking at this now. Any ideas how easy it is to transfer all the junk on my current 3G moto to the 4G moto??

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Twatter

astrofluff wrote: »
    i got the 8GB 3G moto G earlier this year - served me great and looking at this now. Any ideas how easy it is to transfer all the junk on my current 3G moto to the 4G moto??

Try Motorola migrate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

oh yeah, I remember that installing when I upgraded to KittyKat.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Bought one (4g 8gb) for the mother, was pleasantly surprised how good it was for such a relatively low price.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KoA-Ollie

hi is this deal still available? says expired on hotukdeals but hoping there's still some way to get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

phoned up tesco uk today to try and get the phone unlocked but after being fobbed off from 1 section to another for 20 mins there was no way they would unlock it if i didn't have the 20 quid topup paid, i explained that i had an irish credit card and i could not top up but still they would not do it,

so still have a new phone that i can't unlock anywhere

what a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lots of ebay sellers doing unlocking for these for about €2.50

gustafo wrote:

if you read the thread you would find out otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭mirec

I had a problem with unlocking my moto G with those cheapest codes but then I have unlocked it with this one.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Motorola-Mobile-Phone-Unlock-Code-RAZR-i-RAZRi-XT890-/160993247848
    had to pay bit more but he used different database and got my code which worked.
    gustafo wrote: »
    phoned up tesco uk today to try and get the phone unlocked but after being fobbed off from 1 section to another for 20 mins there was no way they would unlock it if i didn't have the 20 quid topup paid, i explained that i had an irish credit card and i could not top up but still they would not do it,

what a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

mirec wrote: »
    I had a problem with unlocking my moto G with those cheapest codes but then I have unlocked it with this one.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Motorola-Mobile-Phone-Unlock-Code-RAZR-i-RAZRi-XT890-/160993247848
    had to pay bit more but he used different database and got my code which worked.
    But...
    Price: £144.94

MOTOROLA 4G HANDSETS ARE CURRENTLY NOT SUPPORTED - DO NOT PURCHASE FOR THAT MODEL

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    But...

I see. I tought he could not unlock older model. sorry.
    I had problem witk older model :
    This listing is also used for "NOT FOUND" Motorola G / E & X Handsets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

You might have to keep trying the tesco uk customer care crowd. Tell them you ordered the locked version by mistake.
    Or you could just wait for motorolla to update their databases a few weeks and try ebay again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Bought the original moto g for 150 simfree in mentor a while back. Where is cheapest option for this now?
    Also where is cheapest place to get a 4g one. I see Argos doing them for 199.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

I am looking at buying from Meteor online for €169.99 as the cheapest option for the 4G version of the phone.

Is there anywhere cheaper then that at the moment?

I believe with Meteor supplied Moto G 4G it locks to the first Sim card you place in it so even if you are not on Meteor you can still use the phone with your current carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Teelas

This has probably being mentioned already but just in case....

This is just an update to the first generation Moto G - "The Moto G", which has a 4.5-inch screen and a 5MP camera.
    - The update being a micro sd slot and 4G capability added

This is NOT the second (latest) generation Moto G - "The Moto G (2014)", which has a 5-inch screen, front facing stereo speakers and an 8MP camera. Which has only been released last week and come factory unlocked as standard. You can get it on amazon uk for £150 delivered

The Moto G (2014) will also be getting a 4G update soon. i.e Moto G (2014 4G)

Other then what I've mentioned though there isn't much difference between the generations, you can use gsmarena to compare them.

I'm gona wait for the 2014 4G version my self, doubt I'll be waiting too long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

If the version sold by meteor truly locks to the first sim put in it it is a far cry from "unlocked". Was about to get one for someone before I realised that they'd be changing carriers shortly. Just in case people hadn't thought of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Toast wrote: »
    If the version sold by meteor truly locks to the first sim put in it it is a far cry from "unlocked". Was about to get one for someone before I realised that they'd be changing carriers shortly. Just in case people hadn't thought of that.

Unlock codes are about 2.50. Hardly a deal breaker. Only issue is the IMEI might not be on the servers yet, will be in a by the time they switch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Moto G 5" Screen Second Gen is now about €180 unlocked on amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-Stock-Smartphone-XT1068-Black/dp/B00NBSZ56C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410873133&sr=8-1&keywords=moto+g

This is the new model with a 5" screen, 8mp camera and dual front stereo speakers and surprisingly a bonus of it being dual sim :)

bk wrote: »
    Moto G 5" Screen Second Gen is now about €180 unlocked on amazon.co.uk:

€165 now

have an issue with my moto g LTE - when I make or take a call I can't be heard unless I switch to hands free? The voice activation for google now works fine though so I'm a bit stumped. Any ideas?

sweetie wrote: »
    have an issue with my moto g LTE - when I make or take a call I can't be heard unless I switch to hands free? The voice activation for google now works fine though so I'm a bit stumped. Any ideas?

I vaguely remember hearing something about this being software related, try updating

Teelas wrote: »
    I vaguely remember hearing something about this being software related, try updating

will do, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

bren2001 wrote: »
    Unlock codes are about 2.50. Hardly a deal breaker. Only issue is the IMEI might not be on the servers yet, will be in a by the time they switch.

The last few pages are full of people that assumed that would be the case and having to jump through hoops to get an unlock so not going to risk it. Grabbed the unlocked from tesco again for the gift in the end. There's another new customer 10eur code on hukd so with parcel motel worked out at about 8euro more than meteor. so 6.50 after the price of an unlock is taken off and it is still warrantied and no worries it might be locked later this year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Toast wrote: »
    The last few pages are full of people that assumed that would be the case and having to jump through hoops to get an unlock so not going to risk it. Grabbed the unlocked from tesco again for the gift in the end. There's another new customer 10eur code on hukd so with parcel motel worked out at about 8euro more than meteor. so 6.50 after the price of an unlock is taken off and it is still warrantied and no worries it might be locked later this year.

I did the same when buying a Moto G for my girlfriend a few weeks ago. For the sake of an extra €20 (probably only €15 extra if you take into the account the cost of unlocking from ebay if you can get it) it just wasn't worth the risk.

When you consider that just 2 years ago you would probably have had to pay €600 for such a good smartphone, then I'm not going to quibble about the price of three extra pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I got one of there a few weeks ago, i would recommend one, i got it in meteor and it was unlocked, they asked me if i had a sim card there and i told them it was a gift for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭uponthegad

€165 now

I bought the 5" from this Amazon seller but it never arrived and Amazon refunded the order today. From the reviews the shop stopped fulfilling orders the day after phones4u went into receivership, coincidence?

Well I'd still like to get it, anyone here know where the best price on the 2014 5" model is at the moment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

€165 now

It was never 165...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭uponthegad

tharmor wrote: »
    It was never 165...

Items Ordered
    Motorola Moto G 5 Inch (2nd Gen UK Stock) Dual Sim 8GB Sim Free Smartphone XT1068 1 of: Motorola Moto G 5 Inch (2nd Gen UK Stock) Dual Sim 8GB Sim Free Smartphone XT1068
    Sold by: Tech-Cessory Shop (seller profile)

Condition: New
    Delivery within 2 weeks. Brand New From Motorola Distributor.
    £129.99

Item(s) Subtotal: £129.99
    Postage & Packing: £1.95
    Total: £131.94
    Total for this Delivery: £131.94

At that time that was roughly €165 but obviously if they never fulfilled the order doesn't really mean anything. Seller has been deactivated so might have been a scam/fraud. Too good to be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Is the meteor 4g for 169 definitely a 'lock to network of first sim'?

you can get flubit offer of 130gbp if you ask

you can get flutbit offer of 130gbp if you ask

Hi

Not sure what this means....

Hi

Not sure what this means....

you can use this website to get cheaper price than on amazon
    https://www.flubit.com/

you can use this website to get cheaper price than on amazon
    https://www.flubit.com/

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Has anyone received lollipop on their first gen moto g yet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

chrismon wrote: »
    Has anyone received lollipop on their first gen moto g yet?

Nope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

+1 would like to know this too please :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Yes it is. :D

Advertisement