Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Moto G from Tesco for £129.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Argos seem to have the non 4G (non SD) 1st gen for only 126 euro sim free. That also seems like a top price for a B&M store.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1525979/Trail/searchtext%3EMOTO+G.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

noodler wrote: »
    Argos seem to have the non 4G (non SD) 1st gen for only 126 euro sim free. That also seems like a top price for a B&M store.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1525979/Trail/searchtext%3EMOTO+G.htm

That is the 3G version.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    That is the 3G version.

Which part of non-4G did you not understand?:P

Which part of non-4G did you not understand?:P

the part where I missed the 'non'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

Have the 1st gen one but battery life crap and sound is hit and miss have been considering new phone for few weeks and think I would like the white one screen is bigger so will need to check that the cases for it are easily got.

Don't want to spend too much on a phone would love s5 so may have to make do with the moto G again

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

non SD - Does this not have an SD card slot? Can anyone confirm this?

I have 1st Gen one and does not take SD card .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

SeamusFX wrote: »
    non SD - Does this not have an SD card slot? Can anyone confirm this?

It's first gen, so no SD. Only the newer 4g models have the sd slot.

hallo dare wrote: »
    It's first gen, so no SD. Only the newer 4g models have the sd slot.
    Thanks for clarification. This must be a pretty old phone, as many phones that are a lot cheaper have had sd slots for some time now.

• Advertisement

It only came out in December 2103 as far as I can remember I got in December and they were only new out

deisediva wrote: »
    It only came out in December 2103 as far as I can remember I got in December and they were only new out
    Seems strange that it doesn't have an SD slot, as there are many cheaper phones that have been out for a few years that have SD slots, as SD slots have been standard on even the very basic smartphone for a few years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Seems strange that it doesn't have an SD slot, as there are many cheaper phones that have been out for a few years that have SD slots, as SD slots have been standard on even the very basic smartphone for a few years now.

I personally wouldn't buy a smartphone without an SD slot these days. Especially not a phone that has less than 8GB on-board to begin with!

Sam Mac wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't buy a smartphone without an SD slot these days. Especially not a phone that has less than 8GB on-board to begin with!

I agree, the SD slot is a lot more important to me than 4G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

It's just a different concept Motorola (the owners at the time) followed. Quite a few manufacturers offer without external memory option.

Not good for the likes of me who like to experiment with different roms and such...

T-Bird wrote: »
    It's just a different concept Motorola (the owners at the time) followed. Quite a few manufacturers offer without external memory option.

Not good for the likes of me who like to experiment with different roms and such...

There is no reason to not include an SD slot in a phone in this day and age. It costs the manufacturer next to nothing to include one.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

There are several different Moto G models. Most have sd cards, at least one does not. Full details here... http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?sQuickSearch=yes&sName=moto+g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Many expensive ones also lack an SD card. Like an iPhone for example.

I think its means to force people to buy the more expensive model. Though some realise they will sell more phones if they include a SD slot. Depends on the price your intended market will bear though.

Sam Mac wrote: »
    There is no reason to not include an SD slot in a phone in this day and age. It costs the manufacturer next to nothing to include one.

From their point of view.

The reason is a marketing ploy to get you to use other alternatives, such as cloud based storage.

That was the concept from Motorola with the 1st gen. Most of these will offer a year "free" cloud storage and then charge you for it afterwards.

Look at it as an "additional service / benefit". If they provide a phone with an SD slot you will use this instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have the 1st gen one but battery life crap and sound is hit and miss have been considering new phone for few weeks and think I would like the white one screen is bigger so will need to check that the cases for it are easily got.

Don't want to spend too much on a phone would love s5 so may have to make do with the moto G again

I have one too and still getting 2 days with a full charge no bother...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

slave1 wrote: »
    I have one too and still getting 2 days with a full charge no bother...

My Gen 1 battery life is still pretty good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Have this nearly a year, still works as well as when I first acquired her.

I think the idea of not including sd slots on many phones was to push the customer to use cloud based services like dropbox, google+, etc. Where you get X amount of space for free but then have to pay to acquire more, hence making more money from the customer.

I'd never buy a phone without an sd slot though.

I think the idea of not including sd slots on many phones was to push the customer to use cloud based services like dropbox, google+, etc. Where you get X amount of space for free but then have to pay to acquire more, hence making more money from the customer.

I'd never buy a phone without an sd slot though.

Yup, like what I said on previous page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Battery is pretty good also on my Moto G after a year's worth. I've been pretty good on house-keeping, in fact the restrict storage space helps me manage my phone's content. I always have at least a third empty.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

T-Bird wrote: »
    Yup, like what I said on previous page.

Ah yes, see that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Can anyone suggest a method, bar plugging it into computer, to delete all photos/videos from device at once instead of going through each file individually in gallery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

delete the pictures folders.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Bykobap

The new moto g 2nd gen 3g (white) looks absolutely savage, size of the bastard too comparing to old 3g&4g version is a +.
    I bought smaller 3g(16gb) for someone for e200 from Argos a year ago and it was smooth as any smartphone apart from camera quality(not waterproof phone anyway), then i bought myself 4g(8gb enough storage for casual user) version(from Meteor and used Tesco sim) on the back of 3g one performance however haven't yet upgraded to 4g sim and again can't fault it.
    Just bought two 2nd gen 5in 8gb from Argos with e10 voucher once you spend over e100 (should have reserved it with two separate accounts for two e10 vouchers) and by the looks of it alone i am well impressed.
    Savage phones for the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

yep, can't fault it in over a year of very heavy use.

• Advertisement

Have been hanging on uninstalling every ap see if it makes difference and the phone has given up fully charged today put it in my locker in work went on break and phone dead.

Have reserved the new white 5 inch one came into Argos today cannot wait to go get it tomorrow.
    Argos are advertising €20 vouchers does not say specific phones so may chance my arm see will I get them tomorrow. Will need to get a case for it too.

Pity it's only 8GB. Would have picked it up on amazon if it was higher

Pity it's only 8GB. Would have picked it up on amazon if it was higher

As far as I know you can use sd card in the new one in Argos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Have been hanging on uninstalling every ap see if it makes difference and the phone has given up fully charged today put it in my locker in work went on break and phone dead.

A metal locker ? If so, that will act as a Faraday cage, blocking signals. The phone will ramp up to full output power, draining the battery very quickly.

Seriously never knew that have left in there for months with no serious problems till today.
    Ah well have phone reserved and a One for all voucher so think I want the newer phone with bigger screen and it being white helps too :)
    One of kids needs a phone so will reset and wipe the older one and they can use that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

As far as I know you can use sd card in the new one in Argos.

All the Moto g phones have sd slots except the first generation non 4g model

• Registered Users Posts: 19 thediceman2011

Just bought this [2nd gen] from amazon es for 164 euro including postage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

Does the 5inch Moto G 8Gb model from Argos have a sd slot? The spec on the Argos site doesn't list it, but thus may just be due to their incompetence. I have the first gen but 8Gb is too small, 16 probably too small too. I'm looking to upgrade and a 5inch screen is more attractive to me than 4G.

Ging Ging wrote: »
    Does the 5inch Moto G 8Gb model from Argos have a sd slot? The spec on the Argos site doesn't list it, but thus may just be due to their incompetence. I have the first gen but 8Gb is too small, 16 probably too small too. I'm looking to upgrade and a 5inch screen is more attractive to me than 4G.

Yes, the 5'' veraion has an SD slot. So does the 4G 4.5'' version. The first generation 3G 4.5'' version does not have a card slot.

Can the mods stick this info in the first post? Think it has been asked about a million times.

Bykobap wrote: »
    The new moto g 2nd gen 3g (white) looks absolutely savage, size of the bastard too comparing to old 3g&4g version is a +.
    I bought smaller 3g(16gb) for someone for e200 from Argos a year ago and it was smooth as any smartphone apart from camera quality(not waterproof phone anyway), then i bought myself 4g(8gb enough storage for casual user) version(from Meteor and used Tesco sim) on the back of 3g one performance however haven't yet upgraded to 4g sim and again can't fault it.
    Just bought two 2nd gen 5in 8gb from Argos with e10 voucher once you spend over e100 (should have reserved it with two separate accounts for two e10 vouchers) and by the looks of it alone i am well impressed.
    Savage phones for the price

Just picked mine up queried the €10 voucher that they gave me not €20 had screen shot from Argos.ie that said any tablet phone etc. Manager took a look at it said oh was not aware mobile phones were included in this offer and handed me another ten voucher so got €20 in total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 cisco92

Another happy customer here.

I was in England over the weekend so Ordered and collected ( free collection ) from the local Tesco the Moto G 4.5 inch 4g at £99

Very impressed - good speed from the apps with the quad core cpu.

Unlocked it for 2 euro from this seller on ebay. ( You still need to unlock it even if you're on Tesco Ireland )

ebay seller = mobunlockingmaster

Just waiting for 4g rollout now - ( I think its June 15 for Dublin )

cisco92 wrote: »
    Another happy customer here.

I was in England over the weekend so Ordered and collected ( free collection ) from the local Tesco the Moto G 4.5 inch 4g at £99

Very impressed - good speed from the apps with the quad core cpu.

Unlocked it for 2 euro from this seller on ebay. ( You still need to unlock it even if you're on Tesco Ireland )

ebay seller = mobunlockingmaster

Just waiting for 4g rollout now - ( I think its June 15 for Dublin )

Its on meteor payg now. I get it for 20 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Serious lag since I installed Lollipop, dont think it can handle it.

Same issue with the Mrs phone. Gonna have to root and apply the necessaries to sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

I've been laughing ever since i rolled back to KitKat.
    Amazing battery life and no slow down. It also hasnt asked me to update to lollipop since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Doge wrote: »
    Amazing battery life and no slow down. It also hasnt asked me to update to lollipop since.

Did you try a Factory Reset when you upgraded to Lollipop? That usually sorts out the lag issues after updating, so there's usually no need to roll back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

biebiebie wrote: »
    Did you try a Factory Reset when you upgraded to Lollipop? That usually sorts out the lag issues after updating, so there's usually no need to roll back.

Yep and even deleted the cache partition and the improvement was miniscule.

It still lagged, and took ages to turn off when charging. Now it turns off in a matter of seconds, boots much faster and stays speedy when multitasking.

Theres no way id go back to lollipop unless theres some sort of coding miracle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

I have to say that this is a **** phone. I have the second generation phone and my partner had the first.

The phone is slow and laggy. The microphone often fails when making calls. It cuts out during calls with weird garbled noises.

It's deeply frustrating to use. I would avoid at all costs.

Note: the problems occurred on both phones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭A Law

Doge wrote: »

Any chance you could explain how to do this? Sick of how slow mine is. Its the 1st generation I think.

Advertisement