Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Consistent Are DE Blades?

Options
  • 26-06-2014 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭

This is something I've been wondering for a while now probably since I started DE shaving about 3 years ago.

I sometimes found that some shaves didn't go too well while others worked out brilliantly and my face etc was fine afterwards. I had originally put this down to maybe the razor I was using or my technique.

Over the last week I've had 4 very good shaves in a row all from the same Astra blade and all using the same razor and soap etc.

The Astra blade I used came from the first 5 pack from a 100 blade carton. Pretty much all the previous shaves were from blades which came from a different carton.

Have many of you have found that blade quality can vary between blades from the same manufacturer?

How consistent should the Astra blades be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

It's an interesting question, one I've asked myself on another forum. The response I got was that they didn't feel there was much variation in a pack but I know I've felt I've gotten a bad blade or even notice one side cutting superior to the other before. I'm sure over time there are variations as well due to possible changes in the manufacturing process, the machinery involved, and the material sourced. It would all be very difficult to prove without a powerful microscope and a lot of time on your hands.

Personally if I'm at all suspicious, I just dump the blade and toss in a new one. They are too cheap to worry much about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I often find a "dud" blade with a pack of blades from time to time.
    The minute it touches my skin and I attempt to shave, feel a pull, i ditch it.

I also find also sometimes (maybe just me ), depending on beard growth,how your skin is at that moment you go to shave, how well you prepped for your shave etc, I go blaming the blade for giving me a horrible shave, where in fact i lashed on the lather too quickly, shaved like a demon as i was in a hurry to get shaved and get out the door.

Advertisement