Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden my responsibility or landlord's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The problem I have is the back garden it is like the Amazon out there and I need it cut as my 2 year old is stinging herself on the Nettles.
    If a garden is full of nettles and "like the Amazon" then its quite obvious that the garden hasn't been maintained for several years, certainly since before you moved in. A garden doesn't end up like this in one season, nettles are a tell tale sign of a garden that has been neglected for a long time, tell your landlord this. The garden should have been in a reasonably satisfactory condition when you moved in - it obviously wasn't.
    You need more than a lawnmower, whats required for this garden is a heavy duty strimmer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

deirdremf wrote: »
    I think he is required to ensure you have the equipment to keep the house etc properly.
    A lawnmower is required to cut grass, a vacuum cleaner is required to clean carpets - if the carpets come with the house, a suitable cleaner will have to be provided.

Show me where in residential tenancies act 2004 that a Hoover is mentioned. And it is no way implied that landlord should provide tenant with means to run their own household.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Its funny, I think that if it was a landlord coming on here asking should they provide a hoover and mower for their tenant there would be lots of posts arguing that of course they should be supplied and that if a landlord cares about his house and wants it to be well maintained that the tools would be provided for it.

Say the OP moves out and hasn't cleaned the carpet (with his hands??) for the duration of the stay and the carpet is in bad shape from normal living, can a landlord expect to keep some of the OP's deposit when he didn't supply a hoover for maintenance.

I am predicting counter arguments about not supplying washing up liquid etc, that is different.

Similarly, I think the landlord should have a bit more respect for neighbours, I would hate to live beside a rented accommodation with an extremely unkept garden. The Landlord should make efforts to ensure the garden is respectable either by him maintaining it or by providing maintenance tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Say the OP moves out and hasn't cleaned the carpet (with his hands??) for the duration of the stay and the carpet is in bad shape from normal living, can a landlord expect to keep some of the OP's deposit when he didn't supply a hoover for maintenance.

I am predicting counter arguments about not supplying washing up liquid etc, that is different.

Yes the LL can completely expect to keep the deposit if the tenant does not keep a place well maintained regardless of providing a hoover because they are under no obligation to provide one.

I had a tenant ring me after I gave them the keys asking me where the pots and pans were along with the cutlery. They started arguing and shouting that I should provide everything including bed sheets. I simply called back down and told them to leave as there was no way this would work out.

I showed them everything required by law and they kept arguing. They also were insisting they wanted the place. No lease they hadn't actually moved and I just couldn't understand why they wanted to move in given they found me so unreasonable yet wanted me to be their LL.

I wouldn't expect a tenant to have a lawnmower but I expect them to own a hoover and any other cleaning equipment. I had in the past provided more in places but tenants either stole them or damaged them. I still can't figure out how tenants damage so much equipment. In general it seems if there is any minor issue they will do nothing until it escalates to be a major one and then claim ignorance to any issue before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Ah here, I've heard it all now.

Regardless of whose responsibility it is, surely to God you want a nice garden for you and your child to enjoy?
    So just buy the lawnmower and then it's yours for life.

As for not buying a hoover, that's absolutely ridiculous..a hoover is an essential cleaning appliance for EVERYONE and it is most definitely NOT the LL's job to provide one.
    Your house must be filthy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Archaeoliz

Hi there,

I was wondering if I could ask about garden maintenance on a lease we are currently negotiating. My other half has got a job in Dublin and we're moving over from the UK and are going to live out near Blessington. I didn't think things would be much different but the garden maintenance issue has been really strange compared to the UK.

Basically the landlord has said he wants us to pay his gardener to cut the grass at a cost of 25EUR per hour and for 10-15hrs per month over the summer months. Well 250-375EUR a month seems a bit steep so we said, we're happy to accept responsibility for the garden but we'd rather have the option to either do it ourselves or choose a contractor. He's insisted that the lawn must be mown by the gardener.

Our opinion is, if he wants to insist on his gardener then shouldn't he pay for it? We've already said we've got lawn mowing equipment and are happy to keep it.

Are we being unreasonable? Does that sound really steep to you to mow a lawn...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

That's a LOT of money! But I understand the LL's stance. Maybe he trusted tenants to keep the lawn over the years, they didn't and he no longer trusts them to do so, hence the contractor.

Have you asked to see the contractor's bills?

We're the first tenants in the property and he's been living there himself with his family so I don't think it's a trust of tenants issue (other than maybe us - but I can understand that too).

Good idea about the contractor's bills - will ask that. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

€25 an hour for mowing grass seems a mad price. Grand if the contractor was doing proper landscaping and maintenance, putting in new bedding plants etc but not just for cutting grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you paying market price for the rent or are you getting a discount which is balanced out by paying his son/ brother to do the lawn.

10 euro with be fair price to get the grass cut.

• Advertisement

We're paying market price. They wouldn't negotiate at all.

I've got the impression all along that they seem to think we're loaded. We may be moving for work but that costs alot of money. Mostly paid for my other half's company but still it's going to be tight for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I think he's chancing his arm. Send an email offering to cut the grass regularly, if he turns that down then he's taking responsibility for the garden (at his cost).

Thanks all - really, really helpful.

I feel armed with info!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

ted1 wrote: »
    When you are renting the house it's YOUR HOUSE the landlord isn't even step inside of it without asking for permission 24 hours in advance

The landlord doesn't care if the house is clean or dirty, as long as its clean when you move out. If it's not it will come out of your deposit

Like i said before I have put my own money into HIS house and i will not do it again, If he thinks the house is unclean(which its not as im typing this my clean freak wife is cleaning the house) well he will have to deal with it when we leave as i will be looooooong gone by then as will his last months rent(same as deposit)

Hope you leave the place spotless, with everything in working order so...

I will be long gone before he gets my deposit

deirdremf wrote: »
    My understanding is that the landlord is responsible for the garden, very few of them actually do anything, BUT you probably don't want them around the place anyway.
    My first question would be, is the house registered with PRTB?
    You can find out here: https://portal.prtb.ie/public_registrations.aspx
    If it isn't, start asking the landlord about that. If it isn't registered, he won't be paying tax on his income from the house, in all probability, which gives you a good negotiating position. And so you can get at least some of what you want. Of course, it may antagonise him, but you're not paying for friendship, are you?
    This should allow you to get your money back, get a new mower, get a vacuum cleaner maybe. After if he has put down carpets, he should make sure you have some way to clean them!

About taking the money out of the rent, I'm not sure, but you are certainly entitled to get it back if you gave him plenty of chances to put things right and he did nothing.
    Lots of information at Citizens Information:

Thank you very much for that info, a reasonable person on boards for once, as it turns out the LL is NOT on that list.

It seems like a reasonable way to approach things - rather than going straight in for confrontation.

There has been no confrontation at all, everything has been amicable and polite.

If a garden is full of nettles and "like the Amazon" then its quite obvious that the garden hasn't been maintained for several years, certainly since before you moved in. A garden doesn't end up like this in one season, nettles are a tell tale sign of a garden that has been neglected for a long time, tell your landlord this. The garden should have been in a reasonably satisfactory condition when you moved in - it obviously wasn't.
    You need more than a lawnmower, whats required for this garden is a heavy duty strimmer!

No this is one season

fussyonion wrote: »
    Ah here, I've heard it all now,
    Your house must be filthy!

I thought the rule on Boards.ie was to attack the post and not the poster

• Advertisement

Yep, and if he does, then there will be no issue with deposit.

On affordability => http://www.adverts.ie/vacuum-cleaners/dyson-vacuum-cleaner/5308993 - top quality at €35 quid.
    On your attitude i.e. "if he wants his house clean, he can get one" - you need to read your contract (aside from adjusting your attitude). Keeping the place clean is your RESPONSIBILITY.

Thanks for that link makeorbreak but what do i want with a broken hoover?

Problem is he doesn't live there. You and your family do. And you have their health to consider. Landlord is not responsible for cleaning up after you ony for providing a roof over you and peaceful enjoyment thereof. Also you risk loosing deposit if not maintained to a reasonable standard.

Never once have i asked for my LL to clean up after me and i didnt even ask the LL to do the garden only asked for the tools to do the garden, seen as though you brought it up about my families health tell me this, WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR GETTING THE GAS BOILER SERVICED?

All i know is after repeated requests to have it serviced that fell on deaf ears I had to pay to get it serviced, you know just so my wife and 3 kids dont get carbon monoxide poisoning, but I must keep his carpets clean!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Never once have i asked for my LL to clean up after me and i didnt even ask the LL to do the garden only asked for the tools to do the garden!

This is nonsense. Do you ask him for the tools to clean the kitchen? Or to brush your children's teeth? You're a grown man for goodness sake. Look after yourself and your family and don't be whinging trying to get someone else to do it for you.

Prime example of an awful tenant in Ireland.

And even more ammo to the call for two or three months rent as deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

pwurple wrote: »
    This is nonsense. Do you ask him for the tools to clean the kitchen? Or to brush your children's teeth? You're a grown man for goodness sake. Look after yourself and your family and don't be whinging trying to get someone else to do it for you.

Well if you want to go down that route, he probably gives him the "tools" to wash his clothes and dishes so why not the tool to maintain the garden.

OP i think everyone is being a bit harsh with you on this thread, you should just try harder to talk to your landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Thank you very much for that info, a reasonable person on boards for once, as it turns out the LL is NOT on that list.

Be mindful that the PRTB list is not always up to date and accurate - so he may well be registered, but not searchable as the PRTB is notoriously bad for being efficient in their paper work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Well if you want to go down that route, he probably gives him the "tools" to wash his clothes and dishes so why not the tool to maintain the garden.

OP i think everyone is being a bit harsh with you on this thread, you should just try harder to talk to your landlord.

Dishwasher? Luxury item, not required by any stretch of the imagination.

The last place I rented the landlord came around to cut the grass, it was a pain because it was terraced,and it meant him letting himself in through the house, dragging a petrol lawnmower with him. I asked him to knock it off and I would do it myself. Which I did, with a 30 quid flymo. Sold on afterwards for the same money.

If the OP is having difficulty managing money, it is not their landlords responsibiliy to pick up the slack.

Why so some landlords can run away with 2 or 3 months of a deposit instead of just the 1 month. Sheesh

if you look at the post i said i would go on the last month so technically the LL is not out of pocket, or left with trying to get a tenant out and getting no rent for months on end, I nor my family would wreck this or anyones house we dont give him or any of our neighbors grief infact i would consider both my neighbors friends.

The LL gets his rent on time all the time and he got his boiler serviced and I paid for it,Yes i know its for my kids safety but LEGALLY the LL is meant to fix that, if anything goes wrong in the house I fix it if i can and dont have him driving all the way from where he lives.

I dont think i am being unreasonable when it comes to asking for a lawnmower that was originally in the house in the first place.

The LL has not even offered the money back for the service so I feel that supplying a lawnmower is the LEAST he can do to pay that money back and that i feel is reasonable

Thank you.

Dishwasher? Luxury item, not required by any stretch of the imagination.

The last place I rented the landlord came around to cut the grass, it was a pain because it was terraced,and it meant him letting himself in through the house, dragging a petrol lawnmower with him. I asked him to knock it off and I would do it myself. Which I did, with a 30 quid flymo. Sold on afterwards for the same money.

If the OP is having difficulty managing money, it is not their landlords responsibiliy to pick up the slack.

Who said i cant manage money, I dont make enough. Plus there is a lawnmower here all i am asking for is it to be fixed so i can manage the garden thats all. I dont have a dishwaher i have a sink and a basin and that is sufficent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Who said i cant manage money, I dont make enough. Plus there is a lawnmower here all i am asking for is it to be fixed so i can manage the garden thats all.

Did you try Sligoface's suggestion? Get a quote to repair the mower, and ask the LL if he'd like for you to fix it and deduct from the rent...

Advertisement