Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden my responsibility or landlord's

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

In our place the landlord comes over to deal with the garden himself problem is he only calls an odd time so it gets very overgrown at times.

If tenants want exclusive use of the house and gardens they should expect to maintain it, if they are not willing to then they really have no buisness renting the house and should keep to garden free properties

ted1 wrote: »
    If tenants want exclusive use of the house and gardens they should expect to maintain it, if they are not willing to then they really have no buisness renting the house and should keep to garden free properties

Not sure what you are getting at there I'm happy to have the LL calling around to look after the garden as I've no interest in looking after the grounds in a shared house (would be totally different in my own place). My problem is he doesn't come often enough. I'm never enough there when he calls I'm perfectly happy to have him letting himself in to sort things and I've told him to come anytime he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pointelle

Hi poor you if you post any landlord related queries the biddies come flocking don't they!? I agree with you if something is supplied it should be replaced or fixed, if you have it on your lease that you do the garden then you do it but you can surrender that responsibility. Wait til you see the Mary's attack now with criticisms of demanding tenants and shopping lists etc don't answer the silliness post another landlord question to see the abuse you get from the under the bridge dwelling types! ;-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

In fairness they changed it so the LL is responsible. That this arrangement its largely impractical didn't seem to worry anyone.

It all depends if you want the LL to do it, and are then subject to their schedule. Or want control of it yourself. You can do it either way. Its not free so probably factored into the rent if its required.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Whats the score on weeding when your renting a property - is that tenant or landlord responsibility? - I know in the contract it had about keeping the flowerbeds free of weeds but its our gravel drive that is now full of weeds and getting to look unsightly - who's responsibility? - I have looked and the prices of effective weed sprays (what is it roundup is it?) and its not cheap stuff in excess of €20 and we most probably would need 2 or 3 containers for the area that has to be done.

There was weeds on the gravel drive before we moved into the property but admittedly now there are more weeds than when we first moved in. If the landlord mention(s) anything about them how do we stand? - we cant afford that kind of money to splash out on that weed killler spray to which effectively is not our property at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

Whats the score on weeding when your renting a property - is that tenant or landlord responsibility? - I know in the contract it had about keeping the flowerbeds free of weeds but its our gravel drive that is now full of weeds and getting to look unsightly - who's responsibility? - I have looked and the prices of effective weed sprays (what is it roundup is it?) and its not cheap stuff in excess of €20 and we most probably would need 2 or 3 containers for the area that has to be done.

There was weeds on the gravel drive before we moved into the property but admittedly now there are more weeds than when we first moved in. If the landlord mention(s) anything about them how do we stand? - we cant afford that kind of money to splash out on that weed killler spray to which effectively is not our property at the end of the day.

Our LL does the weeding but as I mentioned in my previous post in this thread he could do with coming more often than he does as its got over grown now, both the drive and the rear of the house. I must get onto him and get it done now heading into the winter.

our LL is coming over to trim our Bush this weekend (ooer missus!) :eek: ....

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Quorom

If it's in the lease agreement for you to tender the garden, then it is your responsibility, however having said that, the landlord should provide you with the tools to do so, ie a working lawnmower.

If it is not included in the lease agreement then it is the landlords responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I have looked and the prices of effective weed sprays (what is it roundup is it?) and its not cheap stuff in excess of €20 and we most probably would need 2 or 3 containers for the area that has to be done.
    don't buy the pre mixed stuff.
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/product/round-up-weedkler-140ml-50-extra-free/9545/4.4.2

This is 20 euro and covers 210sq m, more than enough. you should ask your LL to provide you with the Tools require, so spray bottle or a watering can with a good sprinkle head.

don't buy the pre mixed stuff.
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/product/round-up-weedkler-140ml-50-extra-free/9545/4.4.2

This is 20 euro and covers 210sq m, more than enough. you should ask your LL to provide you with the Tools require, so spray bottle or a watering can with a good sprinkle head.

would it be too cheeky to ask for cost of weed-killer as well :) - ,,, and, hell, pushing the boat out even more for someone to come round and spray it too :rolleyes: :) ... after all the ones renting out the house to us are all from the farming community :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

A garden is a wonderful thing, a place where children can run wild in a relatively safe play area. I cannot fathom how someone could deprive their kids of this and let a garden go to the other extreme, i.e. an unsafe haven for mice and rats.

WealthyB wrote: »
    A garden is a wonderful thing, a place where children can run wild in a relatively safe play area. I cannot fathom how someone could deprive their kids of this and let a garden go to the other extreme, i.e. an unsafe haven for mice and rats.

Lack of funds maybe or the tenants? :rolleyes:

mind you wealthy B if you live up to your name maybe spending hundreds to maintain a garden doesnt apply in your case :)

certainly in my case bills and outstanding debts and food have to come way before splashing out on expensive weedkiller, garden tools, petrol lawnmower and other gear to maintain the garden ... for what is effectively not my house at the end of the day because i am just renting it and never will be my house.

Sure I am at the mindset of that even though I dont own or never will own the house I still live here and I want to make it as clean and nice looking and well maintained as I would still reap the benefit of that because I live here regardles of whether I am renting it or not, I do have pride .... but then again to do that costs money , lots of it especially on an old property and my wallet says there are more important things to shell out on at present! -

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Lack of funds maybe or the tenants? :rolleyes:

mind you wealthy B if you live up to your name maybe spending hundreds to maintain a garden doesnt apply in your case :)

I wish! I'm happy for an hour in the garden twice a week during the summer, sure I'd only be doing other jobs otherwise, and I'll do anything to get out of cleaning the bathroom ☺

Advertisement