Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send Gun Barrel to UK

Options
  • 26-06-2014 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I'd like to send a shotgun barrel (semi-auto) to the UK to get some work done,
    can anybody tell me if I can just go ahead and post it ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

No.

It's a component part of a firearm and needs an export license. They are free form the DoJ. See here for the form.

Fill out the online form taking care to NOT tick the permanent export box and await the export license. You'll need the RFD details of the RFD you are sending it to. Once you have it all you need to organise a courier to ship it. Then the RFD organises an export on his end when he ships is back.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Thanks for that Cass, just 1 more question if you don't mind, As I'm only sending the barrel, and the barrel in question has a different serial number than the Action (License), should I put the barrel number on it or the Action (license) number.

Sorry for the delay. Fecking Suarez has gotten a 9 game & 4 month ban. :mad:

Anyway back to guns.

pastense wrote: »
    As I'm only sending the barrel, and the barrel in question has a different serial number than the Action (License), should I put the barrel number on it or the Action (license) number.
    That's awkward.

When applying for the export you only need the serial number on the form as this is what is recorded on both ends. However to prove the gun/barrel is yours you must supply a copy of your license to the DoJ to process the form. Without it they will refuse to issue an export license.

If your license is different to the serial number of the gun then technically you are in possession of an unlicensed firearm. Now before i get "shot" i'm not jumping the gun. It's just how the post reads.

If, however, you have changed the barrel from the original one that came with the gun and this is the reason or even if there are two separate serial numbers and they for some reason don't match then all you can do is submit the form, use the serial number on the barrel you are sending, supply a copy of the license, and explain why there is a discrepancy between the serial numbers. Whether this is down to changing the barrels yourself, how you bought the gun, how it's made, etc. can only be explained by you, but in the worse case it may need a letter from the RFD you bought from to explain this is how it was sold.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Thanks again, the gun was purchased that way, it came with 2 barrels and they both have different numbers from the number on the Action. Its the action number that's used for the license, so it seems to me if I send the complete gun I'm covered and can stand over the license number.
    I think that's the answer.
    Thanks for the info.

PS I believe Suarez can appeal and it wont be heard until next week which could give him one more game to play, at least.

pastense wrote: »
    Thanks again, the gun was purchased that way, it came with 2 barrels and they both have different numbers from the number on the Action.
    Seems odd. As though they were replacement barrels which you are covered for under your license to have as many as you like. As long as one barrel matches the action serial number.

Most guns, as you know, have one, two or three serial numbers. One on the barrel and one on the action is the norm. They always match. Replacement/spare barrels are covered under your license and most (unless factory bought) have no serial number. It's an odd one to be sure, but nothing improper as you are licensed and if you never sent the gun away it would most likely never be an issue.
    Its the action number that's used for the license, so it seems to me if I send the complete gun I'm covered and can stand over the license number.
    I think that's the answer.
    Thanks for the info.
    Usually yes.

You can send the gun or the barrel only, but i would give in as much info as possible to avoid delays or issues. You have done nothing wrong, and while the action and license are the same the barrels being a different serial (whether attached to the gun or not) may cause a "what;s going on here" moment. So best to hit it head on and explain to them before being asked.

One last tip. The ladies in the office are on the ball, but work odd hours. They process applications on a Monday only, and issue/send them by Wednesday. Miss the Monday deadline and it's another week. So if you get sorted by the weekend, and there are not too many to be done you could have the license by Thursday or Friday. I had mine within 4 days last time i done it.
    PS I believe Suarez can appeal and it wont be heard until next week which could give him one more game to play, at least.
    Not too concerned about Uruguay. It's the 9 match ban from playing for the Pool that concerns me.

Just after being announced, they are appealing. He won't walk, but a reduction would be nice. 2 months or less. Cannot believe he has missed 40 or so matches because of bans in the last 4 years. Maybe they can muzzle him when he plays. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

An Post do not allow firearms or firearms components in International mail. It breaches their terms and conditions regardless of what paperwork you include.

If they find it, you'll be in a right mess trying to get it back ! Better to send it with DHL etc.

Advertisement