Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sauerkraut in DUblin

Options
  • 26-06-2014 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where to buy Sauerkraut in the capital? Looking to buy a tin or packet. Tried Aldi and lidl, no luck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Most shops stock it these days. My local SuperValu always has it. I'm surprised that Lidl & Aldi don't have it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

is it expensive?

Apparently very healthy

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Most shops stock it these days. My local SuperValu always has it. I'm surprised that Lidl & Aldi don't have it tbh.
    I, too, was surprised that Aldi didn't have it, being German.

Any Polish shop should have several brands and they can tell you which they, themselves use.

The one recommended to me was labelled "Pagaminta Lietuvoje" and "Kedainiu Konservu Fabrikas". I've no idea what those words mean but hopefully they're enough to identify it. The lid of the jar has a red and green logo in a rounded square shape.

The shop-keeper told me they sometimes ate this with their Sunday roast, rinsed of liquid and heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Jeez, everyone has it these days thankfully. Spar often stocks it, too. Goes well with pork especially. God I love pickled things.

how much is it generally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A couple of euro for a 400/500g jar is all.

Moving to Dublin City at the locals may be able to give an exact location for buying this.
    It is usually on the shelves with other tinned & jarred vegetables.
    Any eastern European shop will stock it.

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Any Polish shop will have several brands at €2-3 for 1 litre jar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Any Polish shop, or some bigger Tescos. The Tescos have bags of polish sauerkraut in the fridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Lithuanica & Polonez shops do it and it's pretty cheap. Great with onions on a hotdog.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Even tesco have it in their polish section as far as I know. Lots of ethnic shops about that have it too obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

it is called "kapusta kiszona"
    u can get them in jars ( worst in taste) , plastic bags - Iget them if no other option , or u can get kapusta from large barrels - best in taste - u just take a small plastic bag and pack as much as u need.

Every Polish shop has it, - wrie your area, I will google an address for you.

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    it is called "kapusta kiszona"
    u can get them in jars ( worst in taste) , plastic bags - Iget them if no other option , or u can get kapusta from large barrels - best in taste - u just take a small plastic bag and pack as much as u need.

Every Polish shop has it, - wrie your area, I will google an address for you.

living in south Dublin, dublin 16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Waestrel wrote: »
    living in south Dublin, dublin 16

There's one in Dundrum Shopping Centre (the old one), round the back facing the bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Advertisement