Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting work in Paris

Options
  • 26-06-2014 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I got a job in Paris and have the contract signed -set to start in October, but my new employer is saying I need to go over there first and sort out my NSS number - which is PRSI basically.
    Every website I've checked says you need proof of residence at an address, payslips and all sorts to get this done. Does anyone know anything about getting this set up? everything my employer is telling is contradicts what I see everywhere else and I'm all confused!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Having lived and worked in Paris for 15 years I'd say that your employer is incorrect. It is up to your employer to make the application for all employees who don't already have a number. This can be done online at this site.

Now in your case where you aren't getting much help, it is possible for you to do this yourself by going to your closest CPAM office but you need to be resident in France to do this. It's also at the CPAM office where you'll get your healthcare card (but you'll need that NSS number first)

Has your employer ever done this before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jeepers22

Thanks very much! That makes sense and backs up all I've researched. My employer might not have done this before, it's a small regional office of a big American company. I get the feeling some of it might also be laziness on their part!

I've heard you need to get a recent copy of your birth cert. translated by a local agency to bring to the CPAM. I'm a bit worried that I probably won't have a permanent address for the first while and that might hold things up.

Thanks very much for your advice and input :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Sounds good. Just to note that the cert has to be translated by an official translator. The agency will have a list of people that you can go to but they will unlikely provide the service for you, just give you the list, or you can use this site to find someone close to where you'll be.

It'll have to be the full version of the cert and the translator will need an original, not a copy.

That's great - thanks a million! :)

Do you have any tips on temporary accommodation in Paris please? I'm guessing it'll take a while to find a flat so figured if I got something for a month it might take the pressure off a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I am moving to France in September for work and I've been told it's the employer who is responsible for registering you for your numéro de sécurité sociale (PPS No)

If you're looking for a Translation of your birth cert from English to French, make sure the translation is done by a sworn translator from a court of appeal from a region in France. I can give you the e-mail of the translator in France who did mine. It costs €55 and I was able to pay via paypal and have the translation sent to my address. Here's a list of sworn translators for Parishttp://www.courdecassation.fr/IMG///Liste_experts_CA_Paris_2014.pdf (It's a long document so enter page for interprétation/traduction)

As for accommodation, I've found appartager.fr quite good. But there are groups colocation Paris (house/flatshares) on facebook. If you're reasonably young, you could google 'foyer jeunes travailleurs Paris' (young worker's residence in Paris). I was able to find one in my town near Toulouse but have opted for a houseshare. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Ponster wrote: »
    This can be done online at this site.

I have no clue about this process, but just a note that the link you posted very clearly states that in addition to the employer registration for someone who is taking up employment for the first time, the employee also needs to get in touch with their local social security office or to register on their website (ameli.fr).

Advertisement