Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY new alarm panel

Options
  • 26-06-2014 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Looking for some advice about installing a replacement alarm system.

I've installed several DSC PC1832 panels in the past - with wired and wireless sensors. The panel does work but it is a pain to configure, also I've found the wireless sensors to sometimes be a little bit unreliable.

The good thing about the system is being able to hook it up to home automation systems such as Homeseer (via their IT-100 module).

I'm now in a position where due to a re-wiring job in my house I can replace this system. The question is; is there a better one on the market that I should look at? Being able to connect it up to a home automation system is crucial requirement.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

I have never used the DSC panels. How is your home automation integrated to this panel. What devices have you got on the home automation?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭purethick

altor wrote: »
    How is your home automation integrated to this panel
    DSC sell a IT100 module which you can plug into the panel this gives an RS232 interface into the system. Homeseer runs on a low power Win7 PC and is connected via a USB/RS232 cable. With Homeseer you get notified when the alarm trips and you can take custom action from there; turn on and off lights, send a text/email, turn on music system, you are only limited by your imagination
    What devices have you got on the home automation?
    Mostly Z-Wave (Fibaro, Aeon Labs, HomePro). Lighting circuits, heating circuits, AV devices, Sonos etc
    I have never used the DSC panels.
    What panels have you used?

purethick wrote: »
    DSC sell a IT100 module which you can plug into the panel this gives an RS232 interface into the system. Homeseer runs on a low power Win7 PC and is connected via a USB/RS232 cable. With Homeseer you get notified when the alarm trips and you can take custom action from there; turn on and off lights, send a text/email, turn on music system, you are only limited by your imagination

Mostly Z-Wave (Fibaro, Aeon Labs, HomePro). Lighting circuits, heating circuits, AV devices, Sonos etc

What panels have you used?

As far as I know the honeywell systems use Z-Wave for home automation.
    They would be compatible with what devices you have.

As far as I know the honeywell systems use Z-Wave for home automation.
    They would be compatible with what devices you have.

For security I wouldn't trust Z-Wave. The panel *must* be wired to the PC/controller so that if the system trips I am guaranteed to know about it.

Also I'm looking for advice from people who have installed or maintained systems themselves - can't beat first hand experience. A lot of products make great claims but the reality can be very different.

For security I wouldn't trust Z-Wave. The panel *must* be wired to the PC/controller so that if the system trips I am guaranteed to know about it.

Also I'm looking for advice from people who have installed or maintained systems themselves - can't beat first hand experience. A lot of products make great claims but the reality can be very different.

The Z-Wave would be for the home automation.
    Honeywell system would provide the security end for your premises.

• Advertisement

The Z-Wave would be for the home automation.
    Honeywell system would provide the security end for your premises.
    Great. Do you have firsthand experience with them? If so, please send on specifics such as model numbers to look at and any pitfalls which need to be considered. Are there any sensors which the Honeywell system doesn't support such as smoke and co2?

Great. Do you have firsthand experience with them? If so, please send on specifics such as model numbers to look at and any pitfalls which need to be considered. Are there any sensors which the Honeywell system doesn't support such as smoke and co2?

I dont, I think Jnealon on here has tho.
    I will send you his details by P.M. if you would like to contact him direct.

I dont, I think Jnealon on here has tho.
    I will send you his details by P.M. if you would like to contact him direct.
    Thanks. And by co2, I meant co :-)

Thanks. And by co2, I meant co :-)

Your welcome, hopefully he will be able to help you out.

Advertisement