Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couples not allowed?

Options
  • 26-06-2014 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I've lived in Dublin for a year now with my boyfriend and we're considering another flat since this one is way too expensive considering the shape it's in.

But it seems to be impossible to find anything under 800E since they all "suit a single professional only" although there is imho, enough room for two people and more than often a double bed.

What is that? I had to explain to a guy while looking at his flat that we're really modest and will be fine with a studio apt. He said to call and let me know, never did. When I called him back, he explained to me that he "thinks it's too small for too people". It really pissed me off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Two people, twice as much wear and tear. If you can get one person in for the same price, why would you take in two for no more money? It's crap for couples in your situation, but it makes sense for landlords, and unfortunately demand currently outweighs supply in the Dublin rental market right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Fluxfan

Two people, twice as much wear and tear. If you can get one person in for the same price, why would you take in two for no more money? .

This. Yep its crap and I've been in the same situation as you but its true when you look at it from the other point of view. Also the landlord mightnt want to disturb the dynamic in a house by bringing in a couple, because it does change things. Personally if I was renting a room in a house on my own I wouldnt like living with a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

ppcperson wrote: »
    This. Yep its crap and I've been in the same situation as you but its true when you look at it from the other point of view. Also the landlord mightnt want to disturb the dynamic in a house by bringing in a couple, because it does change things. Personally if I was renting a room in a house on my own I wouldnt like living with a couple.

That is the case in a house share but in a self contained flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Fluxfan

Still more wear and tear! I was moving a couple of months ago with my boyfriend, had a deposit put down on a great apartment, when some person on their own came along and the landlord gave it to her. So I know how annoying it is...and frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Couples also break-up and landlords get caught in the crossfire with them looking to get out of their lease etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I really sympathise with anyone looking for accommodation in the current market. If you have a pet, are in a relationship, or God forbid unemployed, the odds are stacked against you.
    2 of my friends landlords are selling up, which a lo of LLs. seem to be doing, and looking on DAFT for them is so frustrating.
    Would you consider a house-share? You could get a v decent one for your budget, and there are a few out there that 'allow' couples, ive seen some nice owner occupied ad's. Downside is you have very little rights as a licencee, upside is you have a lot more space compared to a studio. Good luck in your search

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Sleepy wrote: »
    Couples also break-up and landlords get caught in the crossfire with them looking to get out of their lease etc.

Couples tend to either break up or have kids - either way they tend to move out eventually.

Don't give those landlords your business, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And in fairness, I've had the opposite problem: a LL refused to even let me look at a 1brm property because I said I was single! He reckoned it would take a couple to afford it, and wasn't open to discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

And in fairness, I've had the opposite problem: a LL refused to even let me look at a 1brm property because I said I was single! He reckoned it would take a couple to afford it, and wasn't open to discussion.
    He definitely had a webcam installed in the bedroom. You clearly weren't going to be profitable enough for him on your own ;)

Seriously though, is this actually legal? Marital status is one of the grounds on which it's illegal to discriminate. Could this be argued as a violation of that law?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

He wasn't looking for a wedding ring, he was looking for a 2nd paying body.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

seamus wrote: »
    Seriously though, is this actually legal? Marital status is one of the grounds on which it's illegal to discriminate. Could this be argued as a violation of that law?

I don't think there are any discrimination laws that apply to renting?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Two people is twice the wear and tear, twice the stuff and in some Landlords' opinion twice the hassle.

Landlords know that tenants who let unsuitable properties end up dissatisfied and either seek to break the lease or start making difficult demands of the Landlord. If I were a Landlord I wouldn't let a studio apartment to a couple, it wouldn't be big enough and they would be gone as soon as they could afford/find a bigger place. I'd probably be the same about a one bedroom apartment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I don't think there are any discrimination laws that apply to renting?
    There are the same ones as employment discrimination but there are certain things allowed with regards to shares allowing gender to be applied.

People aren't being dismissed on marital status but the LLs belief on the best use of the property and suitability. Hence you can say the studio is not big enough for two or too expensive for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Sleepy wrote: »

Or might have a baby after moving in, in perhaps completely unsuitable accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dragging up a bit of an old question but just a quick question, my girlfriend is looking at moving out of her family home and into a shared house. Every one she's looked at that's near her job says "no couples allowed", I have no intention of moving in but would you say it would be frowned upon if I stayed the odd Friday or Saturday? All the rooms she's looked at are big double rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

That's something she would have to discuss with her potential housemates. The odd Friday or Saturday is usually grand. Its when it creeps into a partner semi living there, not contributing to bills, and encroaching on the other tenants use of communal areas it gets messy. Best to have the ground rules established from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

I second mousetail. In almost all my houses there was no problem having someone over- in my last house one night was bad and two nights was a big no-no despite us just watching the laptop in my room due to one housemate having broken up with her fella (who would spend the whole weekend there) and she wasn't exactly happy to see someone else happier. Definitely get her to ask what the story is- most people are sound with it but the odd time there's one that makes it difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

MouseTail wrote: »
    That's something she would have to discuss with her potential housemates. The odd Friday or Saturday is usually grand. Its when it creeps into a partner semi living there, not contributing to bills, and encroaching on the other tenants use of communal areas it gets messy. Best to have the ground rules established from the start.

Didn't want her discussing just in case it was frowned upon, but I wouldn't dream of staying if it wasn't discussed with all housemates.

No fear of me semi living there anyway, miles away from my job and would involve way too much public transport, hence it being only a Fri or Sat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I found the opposite when my BF and I were looking a few month's ago.

Our LL had all but let it to a single guy but gave us a viewing, we offered a bit more rent than he was looking for et voila! The extra money helped swung it for us, I think, something to think about for any couples having difficulties out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Dragging up a bit of an old question but just a quick question, my girlfriend is looking at moving out of her family home and into a shared house. Every one she's looked at that's near her job says "no couples allowed", I have no intention of moving in but would you say it would be frowned upon if I stayed the odd Friday or Saturday? All the rooms she's looked at are big double rooms.

The odd weekend should be fine, and I wouldn't live with such unreasonable people if it wasn't.

As others have said, if "the odd evening" is actually more than that and you're pushing up bills and encroaching on space, well that's different.

She'll just have to chat about it to her new roomies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

If housemates have problems with having the other half stay over a couple of times a month then I would seriously reconsider wanting to live there in the first place.

In previous house shares of mine I have had housemates who would have had someone over on the weekends only and while it was fine usually sometimes they woke me up with their.... noises :D. I had to talk to them about that and after that it was all dandy.

I also had one housemate in the past who moved in their boyfriend which was not on and we voted to boot them out after about 2 weeks of him lazing around the common areas and eating our food. Thankfully they left without a problem.

I would suggest OP you do not overstay your welcome with the rest of the house and if you are using utilities you chip in even a token amount to keep the house happy. Also, do not eat the housemates food without permission! This is been the #1 problem in most house shares I have lived in!

Advertisement