Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying an iPad as a present for someone - Advice please

• 26-06-2014 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Buying one as a present for someone but haven't a scooby on what I'm buying.

Been offered a mint condition second hand 16gb iPad Air for 400 euro (was 495 new) -

Also considering a brand new iPad 3rd Generation for 395 euro

It's for my missus who'll be using it for watching YouTube, NetFlix and playing World of Warcraft Heartstone.

Should I buy the 2nd hand Air or the new 3rd Gen?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The air. It's the newest model. So will be supported for longer with future updates.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi guys

Buying one as a present for someone but haven't a scooby on what I'm buying.

Been offered a mint condition second hand 16gb iPad Air for 400 euro (was 495 new) -

Also considering a brand new iPad 3rd Generation for 395 euro

It's for my missus who'll be using it for watching YouTube, NetFlix and playing World of Warcraft Heartstone.

Should I buy the 2nd hand Air or the new 3rd Gen?

Cheers

Buy the Air, all day long!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

The air.. Since it's brand new, and only an extra 5 euro, iPad 3 was discontinued so it's not worth 395

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Check out the Apple Refurb Store. Some good deals on all types of iPads, and come with 1 year warranty. I've had a 3rd Gen Refurb for over a year and a half now and haven't had a single issue. Came in brand new condition too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

400 for something that's 489 new is not a deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    400 for something that's 489 new is not a deal.

How much should I be paying for the air?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Stay away from iPad 3 anyway. Best bet would be to fork out for the iPad Air. Maybe go with a refurb as opposed to "mint condition". At least Apple give you a full year warranty with the refurbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Refurb on apple.ie right now at 419

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FD788B/A

Paddy

I need it for a present so is there any where I can pick up an Air tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Any big electrical shop.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Most electrical retailers, HN, Currys, Argos, Power City......It'll be full price though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Everywhere.

Argos, Compu B, Harvey Norman.

Cheers lads

So it'll be 495 new full price?

Or will I get a decent priced 2nd hand one anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Cheers lads

So it'll be 495 new full price?

Or will I get a decent priced 2nd hand one anywhere?

CEX?

Aodhagan wrote: »
    CEX?

Don't go near CEX they're exchange policy is bloody sickening. Any apple store will do refurbs

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Don't go near CEX they're exchange policy is bloody sickening. Any apple store will do refurbs

so is 400 for a second hand air a good deal?

I'd never buy second hand electronics of a private sale personally, if you're in dublin go to an Apple Store or CompuB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

No. The iPad has a life span of about 3 years. Sure you can use it longer but it's fully functional for 3 years. I have an iPad 1 from when it launched in 2010 and it has been fairly useless for lots of tasks for over a year now. It's fine for things like Netflix but is painfully slow for browsing. It is stuck on iOS 5 so many newer apps don't work.

The iPad Air is a year old so I would expect close to a third off the price to buy a used one.

The mint condition is not hugely relevant. Almost everyone has their tablet in a case from day 1 so most are in perfect condition. Also they don't get the abuse that phones get....not carried in your pocket, rarely get dropped etc.

The seller has probably read the rumours that a new iPad is coming next quarter and trying to flip it and have a new model iPad every year for a cost of <€100.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    No. The iPad has a life span of about 3 years. Sure you can use it longer but it's fully functional for 3 years. I have an iPad 1 from when it launched in 2010 and it has been fairly useless for lots of tasks for over a year now. It's fine for things like Netflix but is painfully slow for browsing. It is stuck on iOS 5 so many newer apps don't work.

The iPad Air is a year old so I would expect close to a third off the price to buy a used one.

The mint condition is not hugely relevant. Almost everyone has their tablet in a case from day 1 so most are in perfect condition. Also they don't get the abuse that phones get....not carried in your pocket, rarely get dropped etc.

The seller has probably read the rumours that a new iPad is coming next quarter and trying to flip it and have a new model iPad every year for a cost of <€100.

Some great food for thought

Really appreciate the write up cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dodzy wrote: »

Actually got a brand new Air unopened off someone for 400, but thanks anyway! :)

Advertisement